12 team playoff

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Can anyone in favor of the 12 team playoff instead of the 4 team explain why? It obviously gives State more of a chance to make it, and I love the idea of home playoff games. I just don’t think it does anything to improve college football overall
^^^^------- How you can tell someone never pays attention to High School Football.

TLDR - Bowl games ain't all that.

Reactions: ChE1997

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I have a problem with these college players now playing up to 17 games in a season. They get absolutely no additional compensation. There should be an bonus payment for each playoff game they participate in. It would be a even split for each player on the active roster. It should be like 10 or 15k for each game. Maybe double for the final game.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It gives MSU a real chance to make the playoff.

And it will make more games BIG GAMES in the regular season. now as the season ends, only teams in the top 6, and usually only the ones ranked 3-6 really matter.

With 12 teams, teams in the Top 20 all have a shot until week 10, and games with teams 3-16 all really matter. All are huge games.
The top 4 getting a bye week is a big deal that late in the season, and could mean getting key players more healthy. So any game with one of them is a Big Game.
The 5-8 teams getting home field is a Huge deal. ( As a fan having a home playoff game would be more fun than the bye)
The 9-12 teams are playing to stay in, or move up.
The 13-16 teams are playing to get in.

I think the 12 team is better in every way.
Let's just let everybody in! The playoffs are all that matter anyway. ******

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yep. The MHSAA now has districts where EVERY team is automatically in. Those home playoff games where an undefeated team is playing a team with 0-2 wins are fantastic!
There's a difference between a 12-team playoff and a 130-team playoff :D

Reactions: AstroDog

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I have a problem with these college players now playing up to 17 games in a season. They get absolutely no additional compensation. There should be an bonus payment for each playoff game they participate in. It would be a even split for each player on the active roster. It should be like 10 or 15k for each game. Maybe double for the final game.
How do you know they aren't being compensated? I bet you anything there are bonuses worked into the NIL deals at the top teams.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I would not be in favor of home (campus) games for the higher seeded teams. Just use the existing bowl system to make everything fair. It's one thing playing BAMA or UGA, but quite another feat to play them at their respective campuses only to have the refs intimidated to sway the borderline calls in their favor. And give each team the same amount of tickets with the same quality of view.
I'd hate that.
it's too much travel for fans, and the games would have horrible attendance.

Imagine it's MSU. First round in Dallas, you are going to spend how much for a family to go? with hotel ($150 a night +), tickets ($150+ each), food, $2,000?
Next week is in the Atlanta, same, but only a week to plan...
Next week is in LA, so add $2,000 for plane tickets bought week of
Next week is the champ, not missing that one, in Miami,

That's $20,000+

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yep. The MHSAA now has districts where EVERY team is automatically in. Those home playoff games where an undefeated team is playing a team with 0-2 wins are fantastic!
Several years ago, I was working at a client's out of town on a Friday. The local HS football team had a road playoff game that night. Their team was 1-9. The team they were playing was 2-8. It was a MHSAA playoff game.

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
It gives MSU a real chance to make the playoff.

And it will make more games BIG GAMES in the regular season. now as the season ends, only teams in the top 6, and usually only the ones ranked 3-6 really matter.

With 12 teams, teams in the Top 20 all have a shot until week 10, and games with teams 3-16 all really matter. All are huge games.
The top 4 getting a bye week is a big deal that late in the season, and could mean getting key players more healthy. So any game with one of them is a Big Game.
The 5-8 teams getting home field is a Huge deal. ( As a fan having a home playoff game would be more fun than the bye)
The 9-12 teams are playing to stay in, or move up.
The 13-16 teams are playing to get in.

I think the 12 team is better in every way.
Having most of the top 25 in the playoff discussion makes it relevant for so many more teams. This is what should be so much more fun than seeing the same debate every year with the same top 6 teams.

It may lessen the importance of a couple of the top games every year, but it will ramp ump the intensity of so many more games for the top 25 teams.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I'd hate that.
it's too much travel for fans, and the games would have horrible attendance.

Imagine it's MSU. First round in Dallas, you are going to spend how much for a family to go? with hotel ($150 a night +), tickets ($150+ each), food, $2,000?
Next week is in the Atlanta, same, but only a week to plan...
Next week is in LA, so add $2,000 for plane tickets bought week of
Next week is the champ, not missing that one, in Miami,

That's $20,000+
Unfortunately that is a problem State fans won’t have to worry about.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
How do you know they aren't being compensated? I bet you anything there are bonuses worked into the NIL deals at the top teams.
Has nothing to do with NIL. Someone is making money for these extra games. No reason a few million can't be evenly split amongst the players. I am sure there are players on each team that is not getting much, if any, NIL money. Those players deserve a share for each additional game played.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
1. It won't make for better games. We're going to have some blowout quarterfinals with this format.
2. It'll be the same teams as always in the semifinals as we've had with the 4-team playoff.
3. They get to pretend they have a chance.
4. The bigger the playoff field, the more diluted and meaningless it is. NCAA baseball champion is almost random. Basketball champion isn't much better.
1) It will make for better Regular season games that mean something. And Michigan should have killed TCU this year. But they didn't
2) No it won't there is far more variability in the 5-16 than there is in the Top 4.
3) There will be some blowouts. And some upsets.
4) The smaller the playoff field is the more meaningless it is... I remember the pre BCS days...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I honestly think if they reinstated the rule that transfers have to sit for a year, that would solve a lot of the problems with recruiting off of other rosters.
^^^This! If you think about it, schools with lots of NIL money/tradition in winning it all/whatever can currently use all the "lesser" schools as their minor leagues and watch player development over their first year or three, then poach anyone who they want/need.

Reactions: Lettuce and patdog

jlove20

Sep 18, 2017
Can anyone in favor of the 12 team playoff instead of the 4 team explain why? It obviously gives State more of a chance to make it, and I love the idea of home playoff games. I just don’t think it does anything to improve college football overall
My take has been college football has always lacked a clear path for a national championship for all teams. A larger playoff moves closer to automatic bids for all conferences (like all other sports); which is the best structure.

In FBS, there are 10 conferences excluding Independents - so 10 AQs (which a few AQs are easily top 1-5 teams). So- I would increase the 12 team format to a 16 teams including the 10 AQs. That way a committee is only picking 6 teams that are ranked teams in the 5-15 space.

Playoff games on campus would draw better attendance and viewership. I’m also in favor of ending conference championship games for room to make a larger playoff.

For example (using 2022); Troy won the Sun Belt Championship yet goes to the Cure Bowl. In my setup, Troy is the Sun Belt AQ to a playoff and goes to Georgia as a (1v16) matchup… I’m sold. Troy has a path to a NC and the birth of Cinderella football stories begin (because upsets will happen). What would you rather watch? Troy vs UTSA Cure Bowl or Round 1/Sweet 16 Troy @ UGA?

Reactions: ChE1997

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Let's just let everybody in! The playoffs are all that matter anyway. ******
12/130 = 9%. FCS is around 18%. NFL is 44%.

Your point has no merit, at all. You failed to acknowledge all the good points made in the thread.

I do agree that some of the high playoffs are just dumb, but we're nowhere close to that. And the most dumb of all is the MAIS, where like Prep, JA, MRA and Hartfield make like a 4-teamer (and they are the only teams in the division).

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Several years ago, I was working at a client's out of town on a Friday. The local HS football team had a road playoff game that night. Their team was 1-9. The team they were playing was 2-8. It was a MHSAA playoff game.
That's no surprise. They take 4 teams from each district. Some of the districts back then only had 5 teams (with the move to 7 classes some only have 4 now). If you won the right 2 games you could easily finish second and have a home game in the first round. In the 4 team districts if you win 2 district games you almost certainly will have a home game first round. It's absurd. You could have an 0-10 team playing on the road at a 2-10 team now. It's all about money with the MHSAA. They get something like 50% of the gate at every playoff game. If it's 0-10 Bugtussle at 2-10 Hooterville they get 50% of that $200 gate.

Reactions: patdog

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
^^^This! If you think about it, schools with lots of NIL money/tradition in winning it all/whatever can currently use all the "lesser" schools as their minor leagues and watch player development over their first year or three, then poach anyone who they want/need.
I have a TLDR version of my opinion:
No NIL No immediate transfer:
We are where we were in 2015, Bama hoards talent, grey shirts, red shirts, etc
No NIL, immediate transfer:
Benefits State, 4 star players that were sold on a bill of goods in the recruiting process but are buried in the depth chart can go somewhere.
NIL no immediate transfer, worst for State:
Bama can hoard talent out of high school with big NIL deals. If players are buried on the depth chart, they can try to battle or sit out.
NIL and immediate transfer: neutral for State, this will be explained in the details below;
1. Blue bloods will steal out Star athletes: 90% of our Star athletes came to State despite being recruited by the Blue Bloods. We have players that were not recruited by the blue bloods and developed but do you honestly think Elgin Jenkins, Benardrick McKinney, or Dak Prescott leaves State after our coaches have put so much promise in them?
2. Free transfer:
This has been in place since 2020 and let’s look at the results:
Lost considerable contributors, Rara, DJ, Javonta Payton.
Rara: doesn’t make sense, maybe he lost his recruiting coach and felt he wanted to win a ship?
DJ: Had a public spout with the old coach and needed a change in scenery.
Payton: buried in the depth chart and went to TN.
We also lost a DB to Penn State, but here are facts.
He got usurped by 2 CB’s that came from Miami and LSU.
So if you are keeping score. We have lost 2 significant contributors, Rara and DJ. Rara to a blue blood and DJ to an equivalent. In the same time we have gained players from blue bloods, Marcus Banks, Justin Robinson. Radar Jones, Khamari Rogers, Keyvan Lee,
Not to mention gaining Freddie Roberson

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Has nothing to do with NIL. Someone is making money for these extra games. No reason a few million can't be evenly split amongst the players. I am sure there are players on each team that is not getting much, if any, NIL money. Those players deserve a share for each additional game played.
Why?

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Exactly where we are headed. Not sure who will govern the pinnacle other than the shareholders who extract the goods….NFL.

It all needs a structure….reminds me of the USA as they formed the republic. As the body grows in one direction, the head speeds in another….until the tail revolts. Too much money involved for the haves to relinquish and too fleeting for the have-nots to catch itself upon recoil.

This will end 1 or 2 ways…..

a complete democratic approach with governance , overhaul…

or a continuation of capitalism until demise.

It just sucks 17ing *** that one of the purest and oldest forms of competition, state vs state, nation vs nation, tribe vs tribe, as the Native Americans practiced, is being stripped from our geographical footprint by money hungry, egotistical politicians of which reap upon commercial compensation and trickle down benefits, without the callouses or blisters from ever taking a snap.

We have a huge problem and I would think the answer lies in our past mistakes.

When we remove amateurism, we remove all aspect of recreation and for anyone “not 6’5”250”……..ultimately caving our children of an inquisition of sport.

Completely Unacceptable in America.

Last edited:
Reactions: OG Goat Holder

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
There will be fewer opt-outs for those 12 teams and better games with teams playing at full strength. Now you see non playoff bowl games with backup players and sometimes interim coaches. I doubt you see much of that with the playoff teams.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
12/130 = 9%. FCS is around 18%. NFL is 44%.

Your point has no merit, at all. You failed to acknowledge all the good points made in the thread.

I do agree that some of the high playoffs are just dumb, but we're nowhere close to that. And the most dumb of all is the MAIS, where like Prep, JA, MRA and Hartfield make like a 4-teamer (and they are the only teams in the division).
How about this: 4 super conferences (we are headed that way anyway) with say 16-20 teams each; each conference has 2 divisions decided by a round robin; You have to WIN your division to make the conference title game and you have to win your conference to make the playoff. No polls or beauty contests or do overs in games that count. All that matters is the on the field results.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Exactly where we are headed. Not sure who will govern the pinnacle other than the shareholders who extract the goods….NFL.

It all needs a structure….reminds me of the USA as they formed the republic. As the body grows in one direction, the head speeds in another….until the tail revolts. Too much money involved for the haves to relinquish and too fleeting for the have-nots to catch itself upon recoil.

This will end 1 or 2 ways…..

a complete democratic approach with governance , overhaul…

or a continuation of capitalism until demise.

It just sucks 17ing *** that one of the purest and oldest forms of competition, state vs state, nation vs nation, tribe vs tribe, as the Native Americans practiced, is being stripped from our geographical footprint by money hungry, egotistical politicians of which reap upon commercial compensation and trickle down benefits, without the callouses or blisters from ever taking a snap.

We have a huge problem and I would think the answer lies in our past mistakes.

When we remove amateurism, we remove all aspect of recreation and for anyone “not 6’5”250”……..ultimately caving our children of an inquisition of sport.

Completely Unacceptable in America.
Best post on this board in like 3 years

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
^^^^------- How you can tell someone never pays attention to High School Football.

TLDR - Bowl games ain't all that.
I'd make it 16 teams. Top 8 teams host the first round games. The top 4 teams host the quarterfinals. For the semifinals, the bowl games can compete every year and the championship game can be located in a rotating city from year to year.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Let's say your place of employment requires you to increase your work time and load by 30% for no additional compensation. That's not what you signed up for. Now your employer receives a 50 % increase in income due to the extra work you and your colleagues perform, and you do not receive any of that additional income. You go to complain and they tell you with all this extra experience they are providing you, you can do extra work on the side to earn some additional money.

NIL, according to laws passed in many states, is the ability for a student-athlete to earn money from their Name, Image or Likeness and the NCAA can't prevent, regulate or have any say in that persons earnings. I know they have bastardize the rules with these funds setup by boosters, but even those contracts are not supposed to have any ties to performance or individual schools.

So I am saying for that 30% increase in workload, there should be a direct increase to the players who help earn that extra money. The easiest and most fair way is to give them a cut of those additional profits when the service is provided.

Reactions: STATEgrad04

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How about this: 4 super conferences (we are headed that way anyway) with say 16-20 teams each; each conference has 2 divisions decided by a round robin; You have to WIN your division to make the conference title game and you have to win your conference to make the playoff. No polls or beauty contests or do overs in games that count. All that matters is the on the field results.
That's 1992 thinking. No other playoff works that way. And like we've said over and over, not all conferences are created equally. That would be a badly unequal playoff that penalizes the best conferences.

If you want to do your idea, we'd have to reshuffle the conferences, which isn't happening.

And we aren't heading toward 4 super conferences. We are headed towards 2, which will likely just become another level of FBS (in like 50 years).

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I have a TLDR version of my opinion:
No NIL No immediate transfer:
We are where we were in 2015, Bama hoards talent, grey shirts, red shirts, etc
No NIL, immediate transfer:
Benefits State, 4 star players that were sold on a bill of goods in the recruiting process but are buried in the depth chart can go somewhere.
NIL no immediate transfer, worst for State:
Bama can hoard talent out of high school with big NIL deals. If players are buried on the depth chart, they can try to battle or sit out.
NIL and immediate transfer: neutral for State, this will be explained in the details below;
1. Blue bloods will steal out Star athletes: 90% of our Star athletes came to State despite being recruited by the Blue Bloods. We have players that were not recruited by the blue bloods and developed but do you honestly think Elgin Jenkins, Benardrick McKinney, or Dak Prescott leaves State after our coaches have put so much promise in them?
2. Free transfer:
This has been in place since 2020 and let’s look at the results:
Lost considerable contributors, Rara, DJ, Javonta Payton.
Rara: doesn’t make sense, maybe he lost his recruiting coach and felt he wanted to win a ship?
DJ: Had a public spout with the old coach and needed a change in scenery.
Payton: buried in the depth chart and went to TN.
We also lost a DB to Penn State, but here are facts.
He got usurped by 2 CB’s that came from Miami and LSU.
So if you are keeping score. We have lost 2 significant contributors, Rara and DJ. Rara to a blue blood and DJ to an equivalent. In the same time we have gained players from blue bloods, Marcus Banks, Justin Robinson. Radar Jones, Khamari Rogers, Keyvan Lee,
Not to mention gaining Freddie Roberson
It's the lost sheep principle.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
That's 1992 thinking. No other playoff works that way. And like we've said over and over, not all conferences are created equally. That would be a badly unequal playoff that penalizes the best conferences.

If you want to do your idea, we'd have to reshuffle the conferences, which isn't happening.

And we aren't heading toward 4 super conferences. We are headed towards 2, which will likely just become another level of FBS (in like 50 years).
Ok, then take the top two in each division and put them in the conference playoffs. I don't like anything that includes a beauty contest in a playoff. Just go back to the pre-BCS days if you are going to include beauty contests. That would at least be honest about what it is.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Let's say your place of employment requires you to increase your work time and load by 30% for no additional compensation. That's not what you signed up for. Now your employer receives a 50 % increase in income due to the extra work you and your colleagues perform, and you do not receive any of that additional income. You go to complain and they tell you with all this extra experience they are providing you, you can do extra work on the side to earn some additional money.

NIL, according to laws passed in many states, is the ability for a student-athlete to earn money from their Name, Image or Likeness and the NCAA can't prevent, regulate or have any say in that persons earnings. I know they have bastardize the rules with these funds setup by boosters, but even those contracts are not supposed to have any ties to performance or individual schools.

So I am saying for that 30% increase in workload, there should be a direct increase to the players who help earn that extra money. The easiest and most fair way is to give them a cut of those additional profits when the service is provided.
Actually they DID sign up for it. They know going in if they make the playoff there will be extra games.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008

'Additional compensation'? Players (I know its theoretical) currently get money for a scholarship, a living stipend and additional money for Name, Image or Likeness usage where they can get a deal on that. They get no compensation for playing football because they are supposed to be amateurs. So 30% more of nothing would still be nothing. But with that said, I do believe there will eventually be some revenue sharing plan for players and the idea of amateurism will be tossed out the window.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login