17 Stricklin Game 1 Thread

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Walking a batter with no outs is equivalent to missing front in of a 1in1 free throw in tight game with 5 left.

You already know what’s about to happen..

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Auger shouldn’t be the de facto closer.

no one in our pen has swing and miss stuff which hurts… which again shows lack of overall talent

same with position guys. We are nursing along 7-8-9 hitters that are subpar. And downs is beginning to be exposed.

positive is we actually had a starter pitch deep into the game.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Auger not having a swing and miss breaking ball - as our closer- hurts It’s that type thing that has set this program back.
Yes. Is apart of this pitching staff that thinks if they just throw it hard up there they will get an out. The new guys are much better but still figuring it out. Have two or three year guys in your program that are pitching and are putting as you closer needs to have a 1-2 punch worth a damn. I can't believe that in three years since Simms we haven't found that guy. And the excuse is injuries. Well Simmons has been hurt every year. Find someone else. It's sucks but it is what it is. We had the same situation with Price. We found someone else. Stop making excuses for it. It's msu baseball, find a dude that can get the third strike when it matters and that takes having more than a damn fastball to the third row.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Auger not having a swing and miss breaking ball - as our closer- hurts It’s that type thing that has set this program back.
It won't be the last lead he blows either. Auger throws hard but his f/b is flat. SEC hitters will crush that. I think Loftin might have the stuff to be a closer but I know he wants to start. Davis has better control than he had last year but he's still walking batters at rate of 5.5 per 9 innings. That ain't gonna cut it for a late game set up guy.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
It won't be the last lead he blows either. Auger throws hard but his f/b is flat. SEC hitters will crush that. I think Loftin might have the stuff to be a closer but I know he wants to start. Davis has better control than he had last year but he's still walking batters at rate of 5.5 per 9 innings. That ain't gonna cut it for a late game set up guy.
And as it did last year the pitching woes masked the fact that this lineup just isn’t very good. 6 runs on 8 singles is just good fortune. Larry and Kohler are killing us in spots we thought would be good. Dakota isn’t exactly lighting up sec pitching either.

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
Coaches cost us this game by changing pitchers in bottom of 8th
The submariner was doing well and had only faced 4 batters.
Should’ve at least let him faced the first 2 batters in 8th and went from there.
Batters don’t see his funky motion much.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Should’ve at least let him faced the first 2 batters in 8th and went from there.
We're seen pitchers left in too long before. He got yanked too soon.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
To bring in a new pitcher up 4 runs in the 8th bc you are thinking matchups is just mind boggling stupid. You have a guy out there throwing strikes. The guys seeing him the first time are not comfortable. Leave him in.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I am sort of glad I got busy tonight. Missed this game. I had originally planned to watch it with my son. I now believe that this is the weekend that will show us which direction we are headed. Now, I'm not ready to flush the toilet on this season by any means, but I will know whether I should tune in for every game I can or not. In the past I have done this. I should say that have done it until last season and I stopped.
I was really happy whenever they went to ESPN plus or SECN plus so we could watch all the games out here in Texas. Up until last year, I had not missed any of the games that aired but I at least was at home.

I know it doesn't matter if I watch or not in the big scheme of things but I want to say that I sat through a lot of difficult seasons for Mississippi State, and last year was the first time I completely stopped watching. I have seen enough to know I'm not quitting yet, but I have a feeling this weekend will tell me if I should get emotionally invested in our team this year or not.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login