2009 Football Memories

DeeEE!

Dec 19, 2023
First time poster here. I was a Community College Transfer and attended every home game in the 2008-2009 season. Some great memories of that 2009 season, 11AM LSU (should have won, campus was tore up with ruts from the morning RAIN, Florida Night Game, Beating OM and Mullen doing the Mic drop.

During that season the student section was in the lower left side. From that vantage, I would look over the old Jumbotron and see a helicopter that use to land before kickoff every home game. Could have been medical or someone just flying in. I want to say it was medical? Does anyone else remember this?

What other good memories do you guys have? I hope Lebby has a good first season like Mullen did, one where we should have won more games, but came out of the OM game end of that year with a lot of hope and momentum.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha
Reactions: BulldogBlitz
Jan 4, 2024
People may have forgotten but I challenge anyone to name a 5 win team bettern Mullen's first year here. My azz still aches from that LSU game due to how we dominated the trenches then not getting AD into the end zone at the end.

Oh, and being a rookie SPSer can be harsh but if you perservere and adapt to the unwritten rules it will develop character.

Nov 29, 2017
First time poster here. I was a Community College Transfer and attended every home game in the 2008-2009 season. Some great memories of that 2009 season, 11AM LSU (should have won, campus was tore up with ruts from the morning RAIN, Florida Night Game, Beating OM and Mullen doing the Mic drop.

During that season the student section was in the lower left side. From that vantage, I would look over the old Jumbotron and see a helicopter that use to land before kickoff every home game. Could have been medical or someone just flying in. I want to say it was medical? Does anyone else remember this?

What other good memories do you guys have? I hope Lebby has a good first season like Mullen did, one where we should have won more games, but came out of the OM game end of that year with a lot of hope and momentum.
I definitely remember the helicopter, but never knew what it was for.

Reactions: DeeEE!

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018

We got straight up robbed out of a 6th win and a bowl by blown calls in the Houston game in 2009.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Your profile says its your 8th post dating back to December 19, 2023....................

DeeEE!

Dec 19, 2023
Your profile says its your 8th post dating back to December 19, 2023....................
Yes that is correct. That is when I created my profile. I guess I should have been more specific. First time posting a "thread". I have posted comments to other people's threads. Wanted to test the waters so I wouldn't be accused of being a troll.

DeeEE!

Dec 19, 2023
People may have forgotten but I challenge anyone to name a 5 win team bettern Mullen's first year here. My azz still aches from that LSU game due to how we dominated the trenches then not getting AD into the end zone at the end.

Oh, and being a rookie SPSer can be harsh but if you perservere and adapt to the unwritten rules it will develop character.
Thank you! I've been reading the forum for over a decade, so I am well aware of the culture here. It can be harsh at times, especially if you are positive :)

Reactions: Anon1704414204

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Yes that is correct. That is when I created my profile. I guess I should have been more specific. First time posting a "thread". I have posted comments to other people's threads. Wanted to test the waters so I wouldn't be accused of being a troll.
These waters are fraught with trolls, smart azzes, liars, and experts on every matter known to man, just ask us! Seriously sit back and watch and you too will son be an expert in all areas of life........

• Haha

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Interesting topic. That was my first year to get season tickets. Seems like so much changed, from the moment Mullen was hired. I think it was hope, and plus, we had nowhere else to go, we'd hit rock bottom. I mean it's like the perception of Starkville completely changed too. We had a budding tailgate situation before that as the Junction wasn't new at that time, but that season, it exploded.

There was energy at every game, it felt like we could beat anybody. The mixture of Mullen, Dixon and a class of 17-you freshmen was a big part of it, in my opinion.

DeeEE!

Dec 19, 2023
Interesting topic. That was my first year to get season tickets. Seems like so much changed that year, from the moment Mullen was hired. I think it was hope, and plus, we had nowhere else to go, we'd hit rock bottom. I mean it's like the perception of Starkville completely changed that year too. We had a budding tailgate situation before that as the Junction wasn't new at that time, but that year, it exploded.

There was energy at every game that year, it felt like we could beat anybody. The mixture of Mullen, Dixon and a class of 17-you freshmen was a big part of it, in my opinion.
Agreed, the 2008 season was the exact opposite. The mood on game day was not the same. Auburn 3-2 and Kentucky Games that year were just awful. Never felt so defeated.