2022 - 2023 Champions League Thread

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Real Madrid 1-0 Manchester City 37’. Vinicius Jr with a thunderbolt from the top of the 22-yard circle. That was a strike.

Modric awesome as usual.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Real Madrid 1-1 Manchester City, 67'. Real got sloppy, DeBryune cashed in.

Reactions: BobPSU92

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Real Madrid 1-1 Manchester City, full time. Real outplayed City, I thought, more and better chances. There is no away-goal tiebreaker. Very fine soccer, a very entertaining match.

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
Real Madrid 1-1 Manchester City, full time. Real outplayed City, I thought, more and better chances. There is no away-goal tiebreaker. Very fine soccer, a very entertaining match.
Agreed on all counts, LionJim. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the next game goes to penalty shots. But Man City looks to have its hands full with Real Madrid.

Reactions: LionJim

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Manchester City-Real Madrid at 3pm today, Wednesday, on CBS. Aggregate is 1-1, no away-goal tiebreaker. Real was the better side last week.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Manchester City-Real Madrid at 3pm today, Wednesday, on CBS. Aggregate is 1-1, no away-goal tiebreaker. Real was the better side last week.
0-0 at 14’. Grealish gave Haaland a brilliant chip for a header, Madrid keeper made a right-place-right-time save. Wow.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
0-0 at 14’. Grealish gave Haaland a brilliant chip for a header, Madrid keeper made a right-place-right-time save. Wow.
Haaland had another point-blank header saved and then immediately after this DeBruyne feeds Silva at 23’, 1-0 MC. City looking dominant early, just like last year’s semifinal.

Last edited:

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Haaland had another point-blank header saved and then immediately after this DeBruyne feeds Silva at 23’, 1-0 MC. City looking dominant early, just like last year’s final.
Looks like City will cruise here too. They are winning the treble and they clearly are the best team in Europe.....problem is they also are under investigation for how they run things.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Manchester City 2-0 Real Madrid at 37’. Silva again, on a header off a rebound. Just before this Kroos crossbarred a humongous strike, that would have been a great goal.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Looks like City will cruise here too. They are winning the treble and they clearly are the best team in Europe.....problem is they also are under investigation for how they run things.
City was up 5-3 aggregate at 90’ of the second leg of the semifinal against Real Madrid last year. Nah, it’s not going to happen again.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Manchester City 2-0 (3-1) Real Madrid at the half. Other than Kroos hitting the bar, a throughly dominant performance. City with a 13-1 shot advantage.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
good night welcome to my castle GIF by Cassie Dasilva

Reactions: A2nit and LionJim

manatree

Oct 6, 2021

Haaland had another point-blank header saved and then immediately after this DeBruyne feeds Silva at 23’, 1-0 MC. City looking dominant early, just like last year’s semifinal.

Well, Bundesliga pundits were always whining about Håland’s weak header game.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Well, Bundesliga pundits were always whining about Håland’s weak header game.
Were they? Those were good headers from Haaland, sharp and precise. Haaland had another goal stolen later in the 2nd half. Haaland could have done nothing more in any of those three situations.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

Haaland is turrible.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Were they? Those were good headers from Haaland, sharp and precise. Haaland had another goal stolen later in the 2nd half. Haaland could have done nothing more in any of those three situations.

Long time BvB fan, and you would be amusingly amazed as to how often his weak header game would come up during broadcasts and studio commentary. Like I said back in August, the guy’s a beast and Dortmund remains the best farm team for the elites of Europe.

Last edited:

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Long time BvB fan, and you would be amusingly amazed as to how often his weak header game would come up during broadcasts and studio commentary. Like I said back in August, the guy’s a beast and Dortmund remains the best farm team for the elites of Europe.
Dortmund gets insane talent young on the cheap and then sells them for 70+ million like it's clockwork. They do it so consistently that it's scary.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Dortmund gets insane talent young on the cheap and then sells them for 70+ million like it's clockwork. They do it so consistently that it's scary.
We’re perpetually one year away from jelling into something good when one of the bigs comes in and snatches away a player we can’t afford to keep. This year really hurts as it’s the closest Bundesliga race in years. Håland sure would have helped this year. We‘ll be losing Bellingham this summer.

Last edited:

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
We’re perpetually one year away from jelling into something good when one of the bigs comes in and snatches away a player we can’t afford to keep. This year really hurts as it’s the closest Bundesliga race in years. Håland sure would have helped this year. We‘ll be losing Bellingham this summer.
I'm just glad he is going to end up in Spain rather than Man City. if Haaland stayed, you guys would have taken Bayern this year.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
I'm just glad he is going to end up in Spain rather than Man City. if Haaland stayed, you guys would have taken Bayern this year.

If his replacement, Sébastien Haller hadn’t been diagnosed with cancer in training camp, I think we would have taken Bayern. The good news is that Haller is cancer free and looking stronger each week.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
If his replacement, Sébastien Haller hadn’t been diagnosed with cancer in training camp, I think we would have taken Bayern. The good news is that Haller is cancer free and looking stronger each week.
Yeah I'll watch them from time to time....great story. You're still only a point off...hopefully you guys pull it off.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
What’s the TV coverage, anyway?
It will be on ESPN+ early Saturday at 9:30am. Bayern will be playing at the same time, but Dortmund controls the lead now. Fun match yesterday for them and hopefully they can close it out this weekend.

Last edited:

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
@manatree

Dortmund wins Saturday and they’re the champs.

What’s the TV coverage, anyway?

One more stressful match. Dortmund’s match time got moved to 9:30am to align with the rest of the league. Home v 9th place Mainz. Bayern is at 10th place Köln. Hopefully they get the full billy goat.

All Bundesliga matches are on ESPN+

I was really concerned during yesterday’s match when Augsburg went a player down. They needed one point to guarantee safety from the relegation playoff game. BvB’s offense was looking strong before that and was bound up by the Fuggers’ bunker mentality after that. It was great to see Haller with the brace to seal the deal.

Bad news is that Hummels went off with a nasty head injury at 90’ and was doing the drunken sailor into the locker room. There’s no way he will be ready for Saturday. Hummels is past his prime, but Schlotterbeck gives me the willies.

Hopefully Bellingham will be ready to go. Would be nice to see him help win the title in front of the Yellow Wall before the deep pockets sweep him away this summer. He’s another guy on the verge of breaking out and will be a leader wherever he lands.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
One more stressful match. Dortmund’s match time got moved to 9:30am to align with the rest of the league. Home v 9th place Mainz. Bayern is at 10th place Köln. Hopefully they get the full billy goat.

All Bundesliga matches are on ESPN+

I was really concerned during yesterday’s match when Augsburg went a player down. They needed one point to guarantee safety from the relegation playoff game. BvB’s offense was looking strong before that and was bound up by the Fuggers’ bunker mentality after that. It was great to see Haller with the brace to seal the deal.

Bad news is that Hummels went off with a nasty head injury at 90’ and was doing the drunken sailor into the locker room. There’s no way he will be ready for Saturday. Hummels is past his prime, but Schlotterbeck gives me the willies.

Hopefully Bellingham will be ready to go. Would be nice to see him help win the title in front of the Yellow Wall before the deep pockets sweep him away this summer. He’s another guy on the verge of breaking out and will be a leader wherever he lands.
We know where he is going...Real. Great match yesterday and it is hard to break down teams bunkering down for that one point, but BD was clearly a cut above. They'll win out this week and Bayern will act like the world is ending and get aggressive in the transfer market. I'll be tuned into that match more than likely unless I draw the short straw and I am driving a child to a violin lesson.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login