2022 CWS changing up the starting and ending days …

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
this year vs years past.
Will start on Friday/Saturday vs Saturday/Sunday for opening rounds and start the Championship series on Saturday with potential to end on a Monday vs Wednesday.

Last edited:

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
As a fan I like it, but I do wonder what the coaches think . The days off under the previous format could be a huge equalizer, with this new schedule your chances of coming back to win through the losers bracket are DRASTICALLY diminished.

Take Ole Miss/Auburn for example. The loser of the game would have to play Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (and win each game) just to make the Finals with a totally depleted pitching staff.

Starting 2-0 seems more important than ever with this schedule.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm sure the coaches loved the crutch of multiple days off. This is a much better format.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
I'm sure the coaches loved the crutch of multiple days off. This is a much better format.

I disagree.
Having some days off somewhat similar to the MLB WS is the way to determine an absolute a true Champion as can be.
This new format - better have a All Star BPen!!
Not a Fan !

patdog

May 28, 2007
They do need to add a day off before the championship series. In MLB, World Series teams play up to 7 games in 9 days. In the current CWS, a team could play 8 games in 9 days if they're in the bracket that starts late. Add a day off and that's 8 games in 10 days, which is about right.

GTAdawg

Sep 11, 2010
For what it’s worth, Cohen was a big supporter of the condensed schedule. Lobbied for it.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
Had the condensed schedule happened last year, would we have have even won the CWS?

I don't think Bednar gets 3 starts, which is the main reason we won.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Someone with a better baseball mind than me explain the regionals and CWS to me - you setup a team all year to play best 2 out of 3 but when you get to regionals and the CWS - you have to have more arms than any other time of the year.

I wish there was a way to make it work where your roster can be used like it has all year.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Someone with a better baseball mind than me explain the regionals and CWS to me - you setup a team all year to play best 2 out of 3 but when you get to regionals and the CWS - you have to have more arms than any other time of the year.

I wish there was a way to make it work where your roster can be used like it has all year.

I’m not sure what can be done about the CWS but I know there are supporters for making the Regionals two weekends. Basically instead of 16 hosts you’d have 32. 1 seeds host 4 seeds and 2 seeds host 3 seeds, best of 3 series, winners play each other in another best of 3 series, then you move onto the Super Regionals where the format is the same as it is now from there on.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Agree. It's closer to mirroring the season and regionals. I didn't like teams being able to ride a pitcher to a title (which is kinda what we did too).

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

Not necessarily.....you play weekday games, so generally up to 5 games in a week. I don't mind a mix.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I love this format. It tests teams in different ways, forces them to strategize pitching decisions and creates parity while still giving teams that did well in the regular season and advantage and for the most part encouraging them to play hard all year. They have discussed in the past 3 straight weekends of 3 games series to set the Omaha field. But that taxes your starters another weekend, requires schools to host more games, and requires an extra weekend of a season that already has calendar issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Regional play absolutely needs to be broken up into 2 rounds. Too many games in too short a time. Teams are being pressured to bring pitchers back on 2 days rest.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Agree. It's closer to mirroring the season and regionals. I didn't like teams being able to ride a pitcher to a title (which is kinda what we did too).

That’s true but the flip side is you get down to the title and instead of having Bednar vs Rocker (2 1st round talents) for the national championship, you get 2 guys nobody knows. I can understand wanting to condense the schedule but I like the rest because it gives both teams the ability to put the best pitchers on the mound.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Regional play absolutely needs to be broken up into 2 rounds. Too many games in too short a time. Teams are being pressured to bring pitchers back on 2 days rest.
Well they should be developing them in the midweek. The max games you can play in a regional loser's bracket is 5. No reason you can't develop that during the year. 4 should be minimum. We should move the beginning of the season back (to help northern teams) and require everyone play Tuesday and Wednesday games.

College pitching coaches really are the absolute worst. They do zero development.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
That’s true but the flip side is you get down to the title and instead of having Bednar vs Rocker (2 1st round talents) for the national championship, you get 2 guys nobody knows. I can understand wanting to condense the schedule but I like the rest because it gives both teams the ability to put the best pitchers on the mound.
Theoretically your aces should go in the opening rounds, then again in the championship series if you get there, rather than 3 times like Bednar and Rocker did. That would fix that. But of course, I'm not naive, and realize these coaches are still going to try and use them 3 times in this condensed format too.

They need to institute pitch count rules or something, and days rest based on number of pitches. MLB has the charts, not sure why it's not used at all levels of baseball.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Which would kill some of the interest. So much fun to watch a 4 push a 1 seed. That would be gone.

patdog

May 28, 2007
5 games in 4 days is ridiculous. MLB never plays more then 3 games in 4 days in their postseason and they carry 12 quality pitchers on their staffs.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012

To be fair, we only got Rocker vs Bednar because it went to a Game 3. We could have won or lost in two games without ever getting to throw Bednar. Game 2 was one of those “guys nobody knows” games with Houston Harding vs Christian Little.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Yes. It’s supposed to be harder if you go to the loser’s bracket. Plus college baseball has a larger roster.

patdog

May 28, 2007
College baseball has only 11.7 scholarship players. And you're asking them to play a schedule even MLB doesn't come close to in the postseason. It's pretty stupid, and dangerous to pitchers arms.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
College baseball has only 11.7 scholarship players. And you're asking them to play a schedule even MLB doesn't come close to in the postseason. It's pretty stupid, and dangerous to pitchers arms.
Institute pitching limits. Problem solved.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The 11.7 is irrelevant. Its one weekend. Its not that big of a deal. Plus only 16 of the teams MAY have to play 5 in 4.

Edited: they would still have a postseason roster limit. Not sure what that is exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
No. In the opening game of a regional. 4s push 1s all the time and make things so interesting (see the 2018 Tally regional and 2014 Lafayette) I think that would be gone if the bottom 16 teams now had to beat them in a 3 game series. But as set out above there are other issues with 3 rounds of 3 games series.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
No. In the opening game of a regional. 4s push 1s all the time and make things so interesting (see the 2018 Tally regional and 2014 Lafayette) I think that would be gone if the bottom 16 teams now had to beat them in a 3 game series. But as set out above there are other issues with 3 rounds of 3 games series.
Oh OK I gotcha. We actually agree. Think maybe there was a reply to the wrong post in there somewhere.

bddawg

Feb 21, 2018
5 games in 4 days is ridiculous. MLB never plays more then 3 games in 4 days in their postseason and they carry 12 quality pitchers on their staffs.

Are talking about omaha? Nobody has to play 5 games In 4 days. It's possible to play 4 games in 5 days.

patdog

May 28, 2007
In the regionals. Not Omaha. A team coming out of the losers bracket has to play 5 games in 4 days.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login