One thing that might make us football competitive.......

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
This thread has @OG Goat Holder written all over it. I came around to his line of thinking on this, which is what many of you are saying: we can't out-Bama Bama or UGA, LSU, etc. We have to be a creative and different. While not Leach's Air Raid, I'm hoping Lebby can get us there. There not being a national contender every year, but competitive and with an outside chance twice a decade.
It's a great idea if it's sustainable. How long can we do this? It would take everybody getting on board with one plan unfortunately we have a whole bunch of RTGDF people combined with people that think we can be Alabama. I just hope Lebby can make us competitive again... that's all I want. Anything else would be gravy.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
For the record, I am on the side of doing things differently. I think we do need to take a different approach than most of the other teams around us given our obvious limitations. Does this mean we embrace limitations? Of course not. It just means we have to be realistic about who and where we are in the current landscape of college football. It also does not mean we do not keep trying to reduce or eliminate the limitations. I have said I hate the pay for play of the NIL, but my feelings do not matter. That is the current landscape. The way to get better fast is to open up your wallets.
Hammer Time GIF

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Weve already had this discussion... 70% of arkansas's 2 deep arent portal guys. They also didnt make a coaching change

The arkansas situation is much different that ours.

Lots of teams swing and miss in the portal... go ask Florida State how it worked out for them.

Also arkansas went 4-8 last seasosn and lost 1 possession games at LSU, at Ole Miss, and against Alabama. They were far from terrible.... AND..... With the looks of their scheudle, its very likely they'll finish 6-6. The entire rebuild you are screaming out will likely at best lead to a 2 game improvement for Arkansas.
This is completely false. Anyone who doubts this can just look at arkansas depth chart. You sound like Coach34

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
This is completely false. Anyone who doubts thos can just look ar arkansas depth chart. You sound like Coach34
On the arkansas depth chart for all starters and 2 deep meaning 2 deep or Ties:

Arkansas had 49 players listed on that 2 deep. I went thru it quickly.... But i see 17 on that list in the 2 deep. that transferred in this season... meaning over 65% of the 2 deep are guys that were already at arkansas.

Feel free to look it up. Its all there.

EDIT: Actually i miscounted... there are only 15 on the 2 deep. Meaning exactly what i said to begin with 70%

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
How about we get a Pro Set QB, big *** lineman, big *** fullback, big *** tight ends. Fast Receivers, fast running backs and just pound on them in this hot climate, burn clock and score the old fashion way. Pass when you need to or just to keep them honest. That's what GA does and what Bama did. Pound on you that is. These gimmick offenses take a while to install and by the time they are installed the other teams in conference has figured out how to stop it.

Last edited:

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Arkansas has 6 out of 11 players on the two deep out of the portal on both Offense and
Defense. We havent signed a portal player in three years who could play for Millsaps

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Arkansas has 6 out of 11 players on the two deep out of the portal on both Offense and
Defense. We havent signed a portal player in three years who could play for Millsaps
this is funny...guess shapen doesnt count... amongst others

• Haha
Reactions: 85Bears

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
@Dawgg.......you say I like to argue, this here is the master of arguing with nothing. He literally just restated what I said and then said I was wrong.
Oh for sure. You might be the 2010's Alabama of arguing to argue, but he's the 2000's New England Patriots.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How about we get a Pro Set QB, big *** lineman, big *** fullback, big *** tight ends. Fast Receivers, fast running backs and just pound on them in this hot climate, burn clock and score the old fashion way. Pass when you need to or just to keep them honest. That's what GA does and what Bama did. Pound on you that is. These gimmick offenses take a while to install and by the time they are installed the other teams in conference has figured out how to stop it.
The whole point is to NOT be like Georgia and Bama, amirite?

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
agree to disagree.... track record shows different.

We act like the portal is an immediate save all. Deion brought in 60 new players included 2 5 star players and only won 4 games in year 1. Might win 6 this year. Having the portal doesnt mean you are going to find players that fit your scheme or that said players will want to come.
What do you mean Colorado "might win 6" this year? They're currently 4-1 with 5 unranked teams still left on their schedule. They "might win" 10 or even more games. They "might win" enough to get to the Playoffs.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
What do you mean Colorado "might win 6" this year? They're currently 4-1 with 5 unranked teams still left on their schedule. They "might win" 10 or even more games. They "might win" enough to get to the Playoffs.
They'll be underdogs in 4 of their last 7 games and the other ones will be very close to a pick em.

Tell ya what. You take 10. I'll take 6. And whoever is closest to their win total wins... and i'm willing to bet as much as you want to bet on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Except for Arkansas which just beat Tennessee because they completely rebuilt in the portal in one season. five star and 4 star LBs on defense, FCS sack leader at DE, Safetys from Florida and tennessee, ......new qb, rb , wr, three starting O lineman.

now compare and contrast that with our “portal class”. This is why Arkansas is headed for a bowl game and we are struggling to beat UMass.
This "rebuild" business is a figment of the former era, where you were generally stuck with the evaluations you made of high school kids, for the next 4-5 years. It doesn't work that way anymore. And even back then, you had JUCOs, transfers who had to sit a year, and graduate transfers.

In this new era, there's simply no excuse for being horrible at any position. At minimum, you can fill out a roster with competent players. And I'm talking to get to 6-6 and competitiveness, not making the playoff. To make the playoff and similar, yeah, you need time to instill a culture. But that's not where we are - we have posters here saying Lebby needs 3 years to get to 6-6. That's the same BS folks were saying with Croom. It wasn't true then and it's not true now. Croom had the politics around him to sort of get people to believe the job was as big of a dumpster fire as he made it out to be.

Leach-haters WANT to believe it's a rebuild, to both try and prove themselves right, and have hope for a bad hire and administration. It's just not going to happen, we made 3 bad decisions and we're going to have to live with them (Arnett, Salmon, Lebbro). I just hope Jans and Lemonis can give us something to be proud of.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
This "rebuild" business is a figment of the former era, where you were generally stuck with the evaluations you made of high school kids, for the next 4-5 years. It doesn't work that way anymore. And even back then, you had JUCOs, transfers who had to sit a year, and graduate transfers.

In this new era, there's simply no excuse for being horrible at any position. At minimum, you can fill out a roster with competent players. And I'm talking to get to 6-6 and competitiveness, not making the playoff. To make the playoff and similar, yeah, you need time to instill a culture. But that's not where we are - we have posters here saying Lebby needs 3 years to get to 6-6. That's the same BS folks were saying with Croom. It wasn't true then and it's not true now. Croom had the politics around him to sort of get people to believe the job was as big of a dumpster fire as he made it out to be.

Leach-haters WANT to believe it's a rebuild, to both try and prove themselves right, and have hope for a bad hire and administration. It's just not going to happen, we made 3 bad decisions and we're going to have to live with them (Arnett, Salmon, Lebbro). I just hope Jans and Lemonis can give us something to be proud of.
yes it’s embarrassing to be sitting here 2-10 when our last two portal classes have not brought in an sec quality player unless you count an injury prone shapens 3 game career at MSU.

Every program in the country other than Clemson is using the portal. I mention Arkansas because they were really no better than us last year and look at them this year. They are a completely different team and a very good one. They brought in Xavion Sorey , a former five star LBer out of Georgia, we brought in Stone Shoes Blanton. They brought in three quality O line starters in Addison from Tennessee, Carmona and Blackstock. we got Pounders.
Cmon

there is no excuse to have this poor of a roster when you haven’t brought in a decent player out of the portal going on three years.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Thast what 3 coaches in 3 years get you.

How can a coach, evaluate what he has until he gets there. Then once he's there he's got to go out and get guys that fit his scheme. It takes more than 1 year.... the rare exception is if you are a HC and take some talent with you to the new place.

The entire 6-6 is comical. Youre playing 8 SEC games and a p4 opponent. Sure you may be able to get competent players but if the teams you are playing against are getting better players... then you'll still lose. You can be the 10th best in anything, but if you are constantly playing the 1st-9th best.. youre going to lose more than you win.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Thast what 3 coaches in 3 years get you.

How can a coach, evaluate what he has until he gets there. Then once he's there he's got to go out and get guys that fit his scheme. It takes more than 1 year.... the rare exception is if you are a HC and take some talent with you to the new place.

The entire 6-6 is comical. Youre playing 8 SEC games and a p4 opponent. Sure you may be able to get competent players but if the teams you are playing against are getting better players... then you'll still lose. You can be the 10th best in anything, but if you are constantly playing the 1st-9th best.. youre going to lose more than you win.
6-6 was always very unlikely and I tried to tell people that all summer. But 4-8 damn sure should have been very achievable. Combination of 3 coaches in 3 years (inept hire by Keenum), and Lebby not impressing at all so far.

Reactions: 85Bears

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
6-6 was always very unlikely and I tried to tell people that all summer. But 4-8 damn sure should have been very achievable. Combination of 3 coaches in 3 years (inept hire by Keenum), and Lebby not impressing at all so far.
Yeah I think I thought similar to you going in. Lebby hasnt impressed me one bit as well.

But again do you want 4 coaches in 4 years... at some point you've kinda gotta give someone 2-3 years. But as stated, lebby has far from impressed me in any aspect.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
The Arnett fiasco pretty much burned the program down, making the Lebby hire a really crucial one. if he doesn’t have a really good portal class I’m not seeing much light at the end of the tunnel.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
They'll be underdogs in 4 of their last 7 games and the other ones will be very close to a pick em.

Tell ya what. You take 10. I'll take 6. And whoever is closest to their win total wins... and i'm willing to bet as much as you want to bet on it.
I'm not going to "bet" with an anonymous Internet person, but FPI favors Colorado in 5 of their 7 remaining games and both of the other 2 they still have a 47.7% chance. Anything could happen, but you're kind of going out on a limb to say they might finish as high as 2-5 on that schedule (implying you think they'll probably be worse).

Also funny that you think that 6-6 is a "maybe" for them (again, with the alternative being worse, as opposed to "they'll probably win 7 or 8 games but might just win 6") but then still want to claim a victory in the bet if they finish 7-5 and a push at 8-4. I think 10-2 is a "maybe" for them (though it will become a "probably" if they beat Kansas State tomorrow), but if they finish 8-4, then clearly my read on them was much closer than yours was.

patdog

May 28, 2007
But again do you want 4 coaches in 4 years... at some point you've kinda gotta give someone 2-3 years. But as stated, lebby has far from impressed me in any aspect.
Depends on how bad Lebby is. You've got to be pretty freaking awful to fire after one season. As bad of a hire as Arnett was, firing him after just one year was probably a mistake. Same with Lebby. Jury still out on him a little, but unless he loses out, he needs to get another year. He won't lose out. But assuming he did, at that point I would definitely rather have 4 coaches in 4 years than a 1-11 coach who couldn't beat freaking UMass.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I'd rather have 4 coaches in 4 years than giving a coach we know sucks an extra year. Hopefully Lebby gives us something in the second half of this year that makes me reconsider whether he sucks.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I'm not going to "bet" with an anonymous Internet person, but FPI favors Colorado in 5 of their 7 remaining games and both of the other 2 they still have a 47.7% chance. Anything could happen, but you're kind of going out on a limb to say they might finish as high as 2-5 on that schedule (implying you think they'll probably be worse).

Also funny that you think that 6-6 is a "maybe" for them (again, with the alternative being worse, as opposed to "they'll probably win 7 or 8 games but might just win 6") but then still want to claim a victory in the bet if they finish 7-5 and a push at 8-4. I think 10-2 is a "maybe" for them (though it will become a "probably" if they beat Kansas State tomorrow), but if they finish 8-4, then clearly my read on them was much closer than yours was.
ok so i said they may win 6... and you say they may win 10 or go to the playoffs and you're read is more correct if they finish 8-4.... OK pal.

Again Colorado will be dogs in 4 of their last 7 games.... they are dogs tomorrow night at home. The others they wont be more than a TD favortire, and most likely closer to 3-4 points.

But no bet is fine. I'll revisit this thread later. They'll end up closer to 6 than 10.. and wont sniff the playoff picture. If you remember last year they started the year 3-0 and ranked, before finishing 4-8.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I'd rather have 4 coaches in 4 years than giving a coach we know sucks an extra year. Hopefully Lebby gives us something in the second half of this year that makes me reconsider whether he sucks.
I think youve probably gotta give him a second year regardless. But i get what youre saying. At some point the program needs a little stability.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Depends on how bad Lebby is. You've got to be pretty freaking awful to fire after one season. As bad of a hire as Arnett was, firing him after just one year was probably a mistake. Same with Lebby. Jury still out on him a little, but unless he loses out, he needs to get another year. He won't lose out. But assuming he did, at that point I would definitely rather have 4 coaches in 4 years than a 1-11 coach who couldn't beat freaking UMass.
There should have been an agreement in place at the time that we hired him. No current staff is fired, unless it's like something for cause or whatever. This is a semi-interim situation, and we will evaluate after 2023. This would have kept Arnett's ego in check.

Problem is, most of the people in charge who helped make that hire, thought they knew best. The 2023 is a microcosm of our incompetent, meddling football fanbases' history. I used to think Auburn was bad, but they are just us with 30% more people and more money.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
There should have been an agreement in place at the time that we hired him. No current staff is fired, unless it's like something for cause or whatever. This is a semi-interim situation, and we will evaluate after 2023. This would have kept Arnett's ego in check.

Problem is, most of the people in charge who helped make that hire, thought they knew best. The 2023 is a microcosm of our incompetent, meddling football fanbases' history. I used to think Auburn was bad, but they are just us with 30% more people and more money.
They should have just left him as interim. Wouldnt have been the worst scenario in the world given the situation of our head coach dying.

Arnett wouldnt have liked it, but he wouldnt have said no to it either.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ellis got canned for going 0-12, but notice......he did not have an FCS team on that schedule.

If Lebby goes 1-11 and loses to UMass, you have to move on. I don't think he will though, and we will limp into next year, and may go 4-8. If we give him long enough he may get a bowl game, even Croom did that. But it will still be a bunch of wasted time because we'll never do anything significant. I won't say never, because you never know, but it's not looking likely.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I do agree, Arnett should have got year 2, unless we had some sort of insight we were going to hire a ringer. Lebby isnt a ringer.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login