2023 Football Schedule

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
I was looking at the football schedule again, and didn’t realize we were playing USM 5 days before we play OM. That was dumb as **** to do. Has this been discussed?

was21

May 29, 2007
I was looking at the football schedule again, and didn’t realize we were playing USM 5 days before we play OM. That was dumb as **** to do. Has this been discussed?
Loafers at work maybe before he left

tribaldawg

Sep 1, 2012
Ole Miss plays ULM 5 days before the Egg Bowl. There isn’t a huge difference between the two schools. USM beat ULM 20-10 this year (well, 2022). You have to play somebody that week.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Ole Miss plays ULM 5 days before the Egg Bowl. There isn’t a huge difference between the two schools. USM beat ULM 20-10 this year (well, 2022). You have to play somebody that week.
The problem is we will be USM’s Super Bowl. Playing them another weekend would be fine. 5 days before our biggest game against another in state rival does us no favors.

tribaldawg

Sep 1, 2012
The problem is we will be USM’s Super Bowl.
The whole Super Bowl thing is overrated. If 18-22 year kids don’t get up Saturdays to play 12-13 times a year I’m not overly concerned with their team. We were OMs Final Four yesterday and they looked as bad as they have looked all year.

Reactions: The Fatboy

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
No we won’t. That was the case 30 years ago, but it’s just a non- conference game to them & that’s all it’s ever been since we started playing them again. People are making a mountain out of a molehill out of this.
I hope so, but I don’t like it. More so for the short rest before OM and not because I think we lose to USM.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I hope so, but I don’t like it. More so for the short rest before OM and not because I think we lose to USM.
I hate the short rest too. Really looking forward to Saturday Egg Bowls again when Texas joins the SEC (Texas vs A&M will likely take our place on thanksgiving night).

Reactions: AFDawg

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
The Egg Bowl is a Thanksgiving Night spectacle that the Nation can't look away from. Yeah, we've had crazy stuff happen when the game is played on Saturdays, too, but its not a national stage.

What does UT-A&M give us? The winners can't even go to the Chicken Ranch anymore.

DogStuckAtUM

Aug 5, 2021
The problem is we will be USM’s Super Bowl. Playing them another weekend would be fine. 5 days before our biggest game against another in state rival does us no favors.
Agreed. If you don’t think Will Hall will have his team amped for this game, you don’t know the Hall fam.

blackjackdog3

Aug 23, 2012
I wonder if USM’s AD has been considered for our AD position. He’s a Delta St. grad and grew up an MSU fan. He’s from Houlka MS too. Seems to be a really good guy from interviews I’ve seen.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
We shouldn’t play Southern Miss in any sport. Let them wilt on the vine, the only reason they still have an Athletics program is because of MSU keeping them afloat.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The Egg Bowl is a Thanksgiving Night spectacle that the Nation can't look away from. Yeah, we've had crazy stuff happen when the game is played on Saturdays, too, but its not a national stage.

What does UT-A&M give us? The winners can't even go to the Chicken Ranch anymore.
The Thanksgiving night time slot isn’t nearly as desirable now that the NFL plays a game Thanksgiving night too. Many more people will watch the NFL game than college football.

Reactions: #ShowOff

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
How is MSU keeping them afloat?
We pay them to play in Starkville. The last one was $1.2 million, so I want to say this time will be about $2 million.

A game against us makes them more than their CUSA media payout some years. Their Sun Belt payout will be better, but most G5 schools (like FCS) rely on those “away team” travel fees.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We pay them to play in Starkville. The last one was $1.2 million, so I want to say this time will be about $2 million.

A game against us makes them more than their CUSA media payout some years. Their Sun Belt payout will be better, but most G5 schools (like FCS) rely on those “away team” travel fees.
We’re not paying them anything for the 2023 game & they’re not paying us anything in 2024.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
How do you not understand this?
Please explain it to me? According to a post above, we paid them $1.2mm in 2019. No idea if that is true or not, just taking that poster at his word. In 2019, southern had an athletic budget of $25 million. Our payout of $1.2 accounted for roughly 5 percent of their budget and that was over 3 years ago. I’m not understand how 5% of their annual budget once every 3 years is keeping them afloat.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Please explain it to me? According to a post above, we paid them $1.2mm in 2019. No idea if that is true or not, just taking that poster at his word. In 2019, southern had an athletic budget of $25 million. Our payout of $1.2 accounted for roughly 5 percent of their budget and that was over 3 years ago. I’m not understand how 5% of their annual budget once every 3 years is keeping them afloat.
I’m going based on this on the $1.2 Million we paid:

and this on the few hundred thousand they get for TV:

$25 Million budget seems pretty high for Southern Miss.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’m going based on this on the $1.2 Million we paid:

and this on the few hundred thousand they get for TV:

$25 Million budget seems pretty high for Southern Miss.

I’m basing it on the report in their website.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's not all about money as in sheer revenue. It's also about relevancy, ticket sales, merchandise, etc. There is a good chance we lose one of those games. That type of thing motivates them in a big way. This creates more USM fans that could have maybe been MSU fans.

There's nothing we can do with Ole Miss. They are established, they aren't going anywhere. That is why I don't concern myself with cheering against them. Best thing we can hope for is just to grow together. But we don't need Southern taking up capital in south Mississippi. Playing them keeps them thinking that they are our peers, and beating us makes them strive to get to that level.

It's a bad idea, all around. Play them in basketball and baseball, sure. But don't mess with them in football.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Good lord at the amount of handwringing and worrying about a game against Southern freaking Miss. It's a Sunbelt team people. Yes, there's a chance we could lose a game to them but not often. We've lost games to Maine, UAB, Troy St., and LA Tech before. Didn't affect a thing and it won't if/when we lose a game to Southern Miss. It would be embarrassing for a while, but they're not ever going to be a threat to us. So good luck to them in the Sunbelt.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
My guy, you understand this isn’t 1980 anymore? This USM program is a shell of what it was. We should win by 30+ easily

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
It's not all about money as in sheer revenue. It's also about relevancy, ticket sales, merchandise, etc. There is a good chance we lose one of those games. That type of thing motivates them in a big way. This creates more USM fans that could have maybe been MSU fans.

There's nothing we can do with Ole Miss. They are established, they aren't going anywhere. That is why I don't concern myself with cheering against them. Best thing we can hope for is just to grow together. But we don't need Southern taking up capital in south Mississippi. Playing them keeps them thinking that they are our peers, and beating us makes them strive to get to that level.

It's a bad idea, all around. Play them in basketball and baseball, sure. But don't mess with them in football.
Yeah southern’s football program has really taken off since we started playing them again in 2014**

Such an odd take. We are not losing recruits to Southern. We are not losing fans to Southern.

Thumbs Down

Sep 29, 2022

New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You have to play somebody but if we're going to have a thursday night game, I'd rather it be the FCS matchup the week before to let us rest players that are banged up and also allow us to devote some practice time to the Ole Miss game plan during the week before.

Not a huge deal if they're playing ULM; we're both more or less in the same spot. But would rather have an FCS team.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

There is NOT a "good chance" we lose one of those last 2 games. Cheering against tsun should be required of all STATE fans even if they are playing Chi-Coms in Ping Pong. 17 hoping to "Grow Together" with tsun as we should hope they wither on prickly vines and get curb stomped in all things sports.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login