2024 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

JakkL

Oct 12, 2021
It's way too early to give up on Davis. He was rushed to the bigs and is now paying the price.

Reactions: LB99

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
At what point do we say that, "Henry Davis did not live up to expectations?"
Never should have been the number one overall pick. They knew they could get him cheaper so they took him. Was an average catcher but could hit unfortunately the Pirates minor-league system doesn’t develop anybody so the poor kid is now worse.

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Moves made, wins continue, hard to watch with the Olympics driving the viewing this week and next, but hey! Fun Times!

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Reactions: Nits74 and LB99

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
Cruz is so overrated. Tired of hearing about his potential. Singlehandedly lost the game tonight. Three errors blowing a four run lead, and of course, the usual strikeouts. The guy is no shortstop. He had five errors in this three game series alone.

Last edited:

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Cruz is so overrated. Tired of hearing about his potential. Singlehandedly lost the game tonight. Three errors blowing a four run lead, and of course, the usual strikeouts. The guy is no shortstop. He had five errors in this three game series alone.
He may be pressing just a little too hard. There will be options in other positions opening up as well once McCutchen retires.

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
He may be pressing just a little too hard. There will be options in other positions opening up as well once McCutchen retires.
You may be right on this. I never thought he was a shortstop, yet he insisted on playing the position and the Pirates acquiesced. Why, I don't know. His strong arm would be better suited for the outfield. It seems to be more of a detriment in the infield.

Reactions: Bison13 and Tgar

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
You may be right on this. I never thought he was a shortstop, yet he insisted on playing the position and the Pirates acquiesced. Why, I don't know. His strong arm would be better suited for the outfield. It seems to be more of a detriment in the infield.
Could be a decent first baseman while Tellez becomes the DH.

Reactions: Nits74

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
He could be a good shortstop if someone would work with him on fundamentals. He relies too much on that elite arm to get him out of trouble. But he allows the ball to play him rather than attacking it and his footwork is atrocious. We're in August and I'd have thought Pirates coaches would have gotten this cleaned up by now.

Reactions: Bison13 and Nits74

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
He could be a good shortstop if someone would work with him on fundamentals. He relies too much on that elite arm to get him out of trouble. But he allows the ball to play him rather than attacking it and his footwork is atrocious. We're in August and I'd have thought Pirates coaches would have gotten this cleaned up by now.
Exactly. They’ve allowed him to get by on just using his elite athleticism and arm. He probably should step in and be the centerfielder, but they don’t really have anyone else who can fill the void at shortstop right now.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Needed that one last night, brutal schedule coming up, need to get that momentum rolling in right direction once again.
Ultimately, I don’t think they’ll get into the playoffs, but it was nice to see the GM go after it a little bit. They’ve now got a couple bats who are better than what they had previously and to me the best part about this season is finding a true starting catcher in Bart.

Reactions: Lanz and Nits74

JakkL

Oct 12, 2021
I for one am glad that they didn't deal the young pitchers. You can never have too many pitchers. I'd like to see them call up chandler and ashcroft as relievers down the stretch. It'll help manage their innings and give them a taste on the majors. Next season young guys who are ready, but don't win a starting spot can be relievers to get more experience and pop into the rotation when I juries hit. Bats are a lot easier and cheaper to find in the FA market than top 1st, 2nd and 3rd pitchers.

Reactions: LB99

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I’m looking forward to Jones getting back. Skenes-Jones-Keller is a nice combo at the top of the rotation.

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021

Ultimately, I don’t think they’ll get into the playoffs, but it was nice to see the GM go after it a little bit. They’ve now got a couple bats who are better than what they had previously and to me the best part about this season is finding a true starting catcher in Bart.
And today's outcome is a perfect example as to why. I don't know why they let Cruz bat against a left handed pitcher with the tying run on third with one out. Predictably, he struck out.

Reactions: Bison13

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
And today's outcome is a perfect example as to why. I don't know why they let Cruz bat against a left handed pitcher with the tying run on third with one out. Predictably, he struck out.
I would’ve let Cruz hit as he has been swinging a good bat recently. My issue was a lot of things goes back to poor fundamentals. Shelton doesn’t seem to know when the bunt and when they do, they can’t get the bump down. He doesn’t seem to know when to run, and makes questionable decisions defensively with where to play guys and doing things like hitting the cut off man. I was actually surprised he used a pinch hitter and a pinch runner late in the game today. He needs to do more of that.

They need to do some thing about Holderman in the bullpen. He was very good early on this year, but has definitely had a rough time of it since the All-Star break.

Reactions: LB99 and Nits74

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
Get swept by SD after giving up another 9th inning lead. This occurrence is not new as Bednar gives up multiple free walks and Cruz makes another key error.

They are a team of whatever it takes right now, just not in a good way.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
If not, very close. In any case, not much will change until they get a new owner. And that isn't gonna happen.
Its a shame, because other than the play on the field :rolleyes: taking in a Pirates game is a nice experience.

Easy to get to and park.
Lots of tailgating going on (when the weather is nice)
Great location for pre and post-game - bars, restaurants, walks along the river, easy access to dahntahn.
The stadium, of course, is wonderful - great sightlines and views.

Had the pleasure of taking in what may prove to be the Pirates last win of the year (I kid.... probably :) )
when they beat the Snakes two weeks ago. Even with the lengthy rain delay, was a very nice experience.

Reactions: Nits74

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
Long time coming. If he succeeds out there, it may get his mind off things and help him at the plate.

Reactions: Bison13 and LB99

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
Well I guess they’ll give him at least one game to DH and watch how not to play CF as Bae drops a fly ball and Cubs end up scoring twice with two out.

Have him learn the position in games this year while the are already realistically eliminated.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
From flirting with a playoff berth at the break to being 10 games out of the wildcard today. And being on the wrong end of a combined no-no. What a tease the Buccos were.

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
We are back and kicking ***. This team has the makeup to finish with a .500 record. Kansas City, you are next!

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login