2025 Projected Starting Lineup

Sep 11, 2019
Now that the dust has settled on the MLB draft, what do we think the 2025 starting lineup looks like? NOTE: I don't claim to be a baseball expert. I'm simply stimulating discussion during the summer doldrums.

1st - Hines
2nd - Cupp/Sawyer Reeves?
SS - Mershon/Cupp?
3rd - Gehrig Frei
C - Highfill
RF - Ace Reese
CF - O'Brien
LF - Pulliam

Weekend SP - Kohn
Weekend SP - Jacob Pruitt
Weekend SP - Travis Smith
Mid Week SP - Loftin

Closer - Hungate

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Mershon likely leaving. Nolan Stevens will be in the OF. Chance will be in the OF. C appears to be a hole offensively and defensively. The entire infield except 1b looks like an offensive liability. I’d be surprised if Smith didn’t sign.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
@8dog beat me to it, I was about to say don't we get Chance back next year?
Hines is adequate at 1B defensively, but we got the Campbell transfer in, wonder if he challenges Hines there. Probably competes for DH role more than likely.

I want to see Stevens play everyday, but can he play CF or is he going to be RF only?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Travis Smith went in the 15th round. I get that he just transferred, but I don't think 15th rounders get a real signing bonus. I could be wrong though. I don't think he's going to hurt his draft stock by staying in Starkville a year.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Travis Smith went in the 15th round. I get that he just transferred, but I don't think 15th rounders get a real signing bonus. I could be wrong though. I don't think he's going to hurt his draft stock by staying in Starkville a year.
Wants to go pro and made that clear up front

Reactions: Dawgg

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think Stevens will be in the batting lineup either in the OF or maybe 1B with Hines at DH
Rosebowl said the plan is for him to be a corner outfielder next year. I don't see anyone but Hines at 1B. Doubt he came back to DH.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Now that the dust has settled on the MLB draft, what do we think the 2025 starting lineup looks like? NOTE: I don't claim to be a baseball expert. I'm simply stimulating discussion during the summer doldrums.

1st - Hines
2nd - Cupp/Sawyer Reeves?
SS - Mershon/Cupp?
3rd - Gehrig Frei
C - Highfill
RF - Ace Reese
CF - O'Brien
LF - Pulliam

Weekend SP - Kohn
Weekend SP - Jacob Pruitt
Weekend SP - Travis Smith
Mid Week SP - Loftin

Closer - Hungate
Chance will start, Mershon is gone, 3B isn't settled, Stevens will swing the bat somewhere, Smith isn't likely to be here, Mannell will have a shot to throw a good bit, Hungate isn't a closer, C is ok.
Got some depth & got a hole or two.

It's 17ing football time now

Reactions: patdog

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Hines was solid last year defensively. We had questions entering, but he settled in really well.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
How do you get this? Highfill had 9 homers in 36 games as a Freshman. While not great defensively that is hardly a hole.
He is recovering from TJ and missed an entire year including this summer. It’s very questionable in my opinion. And if he can’t catch does he DH? That means Sullivan doesn’t bat.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
@8dog beat me to it, I was about to say don't we get Chance back next year?
Hines is adequate at 1B defensively, but we got the Campbell transfer in, wonder if he challenges Hines there. Probably competes for DH role more than likely.

I want to see Stevens play everyday, but can he play CF or is he going to be RF only?
We have no CF. Id guess Reese or Chance there. Hines is the first baseman. No challenge there.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Hines plays 1st
chance is in the outfield somewhere, probably center
hopefully highfill can catch but that’s a huge risk…

infield is questionable… I think mershon comes back but we’ll see

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
We are going to be weak at CF no matter who we put there. Just don't have the speed needed at that spot.

Will add that if we get McCarthy from KY that might change things. I don't know anything about him defensively.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Wants to go pro and made that clear up front
I really don't quite get that. That $100k signing bonus or whatever covers something like 6 years if you don't get called up, correct? So basically a $20k NIL deal gets more in your pocket on an annual basis, and then lets you still likely get the same signing bonus the next year?

I get wanting to go ahead and take your shot, but it doesn't seem like it would take much to make coming back another year attractive?

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
Korean Drama Crying GIF by Netflix K-Content

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He is recovering from TJ and missed an entire year including this summer. It’s very questionable in my opinion. And if he can’t catch does he DH? That means Sullivan doesn’t bat.
I have the same concerns about Highfill. I’m glad Powell is staying.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I really don't quite get that. That $100k signing bonus or whatever covers something like 6 years if you don't get called up, correct? So basically a $20k NIL deal gets more in your pocket on an annual basis, and then lets you still likely get the same signing bonus the next year?

I get wanting to go ahead and take your shot, but it doesn't seem like it would take much to make coming back another year attractive?
Same. He should come back, but he won’t. Is what it is. I think DJ should have come back too.

But remember, they are actually the age of a junior, and MLB knows that. They probably won’t make another jump on college. So there’s no real bad decision here, it just sucks for us because we want to see our team win.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
We can slice it anyway we want but we'll have one of the worst lineups in the league next year. . . . . .Next year is Lems swan song. . . . .#hegone

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Same. He should come back, but he won’t. Is what it is. I think DJ should have come back too.

But remember, they are actually the age of a junior, and MLB knows that. They probably won’t make another jump on college. So there’s no real bad decision here, it just sucks for us because we want to see our team win.
DJ will probably get around 2 mil. It's not the same situation at all.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Powell has another year? Covid year as a freshman and I'm guessing his season at Cincinnati (did not play) counts as redshirt? Certainly helps to shore up that position.
It’s been posted that the year he wasn’t in school counts against him and not as a redshirt year so he may have to appeal. But no one seems to have clear answers on that. And I guess no one knows the precedent bc I can’t imagine we have ever had to rely on a guy that just didn’t go to school one year bc he thought he was done playing. But here we are.

Oct 17, 2023
Did I miss where Ethan Pulliam transferred or is he just getting beat out? I thought he should have been at 2nd a lot more last year.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Did I miss where Ethan Pulliam transferred or is he just getting beat out? I thought he should have been at 2nd a lot more last year.
I think he or the citadel kid would be 2b if Mersh leaves. Neither are exciting options as of now. Obviously Pulliam
Could take a step forward.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login