24 years ago

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Possibly our overall 'best', or most talented team of the modern era. That team won big and lost small. Legitimately had the talent to win the SEC and play in the national title game. Would we have beaten Oklahoma? Who knows. The SEC championship game was 2 teams we beat: Auburn and Florida.

I often compare 1999 and 2000 with 2014 and 2015. We had the hype the first year, and more experience the next year, in both cases. But for whatever reason, we simply could not deal with the success and expectations. In 2000, osing on road at South Carolina and choking vs. LSU, then the terrible Arkansas game in the ice. In 2015, the LSU choke, fumbling the game at aTm. We were beaten solidly by Ole Miss both years and Alabama in 2015, but who knows what momentum we have if we are undefeated. But you're still talking 11-1 in 2000 and 10-2 in 2015.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Possibly our overall 'best', or most talented team of the modern era. That team won big and lost small. Legitimately had the talent to win the SEC and play in the national title game. Would we have beaten Oklahoma? Who knows. The SEC championship game was 2 teams we beat: Auburn and Florida.

I often compare 1999 and 2000 with 2014 and 2015. We had the hype the first year, and more experience the next year, in both cases. But for whatever reason, we simply could not deal with the success and expectations. In 2000, osing on road at South Carolina and choking vs. LSU, then the terrible Arkansas game in the ice. In 2015, the LSU choke, fumbling the game at aTm. We were beaten solidly by Ole Miss both years and Alabama in 2015, but who knows what momentum we have if we are undefeated. But you're still talking 11-1 in 2000 and 10-2 in 2015.
I do believe 2018 was as talented or more. We just didn't have the right coaching staff.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We had leads of at least 9 points in all four of our losses in 2000. And smashed both division winners (Florida and Auburn).

Didn’t know it at the time but that was the first red flag for Jackie’s decline… that team should’ve been in Atlanta at the minimum and been in contention for a BCS bowl.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We had leads of at least 9 points in all four of our losses in 2000. And smashed both division winners (Florida and Auburn).

Didn’t know it at the time but that was the first red flag for Jackie’s decline… that team should’ve been in Atlanta at the minimum and been in contention for a BCS bowl.
They absolutely shut down Rudi Johnson and Auburn. I didn’t see much of the game because @dawgstudent was sitting in front of me in the student section.

Reactions: RocketDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Don’t know that I agree with that. Jackie was fine at that point. The decline started that offseason when he started having personal issues and quit 17ing with discipline. Then exasperated with the 2021 JUCO class. As shown earlier, those expectations can jump up and bite programs like ours who aren’t used to them.

Had he retired after the 2021 season, he’d have a statue. And we could have hired another real coach at that point. Remember, we had a number of close losses in 2021. That season was the real revealing of cracks.

Players started getting the big head after 2000. They got it even more after we beat Ole Miss in 2001.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
They absolutely shut down Rudi Johnson and Auburn. I didn’t see much of the game because @dawgstudent was sitting in front of me in the student section.

I think they had one first down in the first half and that came late in the 2nd Qrt.
Dominating half of football for the Dawgs.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015

Four years in a row we had late season SEC west leads 97-00.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
We may have had better games, but that Florida game was the one where I’ve felt the most dominant as a State fan. The fact that we just ran and ran and they couldn’t do anything about it was a great feeling. But the talent disparity has grown so much in 20 years

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Didn’t know it at the time but that was the first red flag for Jackie’s decline…
I think that had more to do with the “toxic rivalry“ (that’s only toxic when we have the upper hand) and XenaReb being Johanningmier’s side piece for several years thus extending the NCAA investigation.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
I was there. Sherrill vs. new regime enough said. NIL and portal play an even bigger part.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

If I have the year right and remember correctly, we would have been in Atlanta that year if not for the Arkansas game played in a quagmire with snow, sleet, and rain, and the kicker slipped and fell down on the chip shot FG to win. We wound up in Shreveport.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Don’t know that I agree with that. Jackie was fine at that point. The decline started that offseason when he started having personal issues and quit 17ing with discipline. Then exasperated with the 2021 JUCO class. As shown earlier, those expectations can jump up and bite programs like ours who aren’t used to them.

Had he retired after the 2021 season, he’d have a statue. And we could have hired another real coach at that point. Remember, we had a number of close losses in 2021. That season was the real revealing of cracks.

Players started getting the big head after 2000. They got it even more after we beat Ole Miss in 2001.
That 2000 Arkansas loss was atrocious. We controlled our own destiny and blew it against a 4-5 Hog team at home. Yeah I know the weather sucked but that was a terrible loss. The others were at least on the road against decent teams.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That 2000 Arkansas loss was atrocious. We controlled our own destiny and blew it against a 4-5 Hog team at home. Yeah I know the weather sucked but that was a terrible loss. The others were at least on the road against decent teams.
It was, but it happens. Happened in 1999 too. Far cry from saying Jackie was falling apart already. Just a bunch of players and program who weren’t ready for the big stage. Happens at MSU frequently. Hell Mullen damn near lost to that shltty Arkansas team in 2014.