32 years ago tonight we beat Florida 30-6

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Went to that game with a co-worker from Ohio who was an Ohio State grad.
She thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon tailgate, the a$$ kicking we put on the Gators and the postgame antics in whatever Lot that was we tailgated in back then which was directly behind the M Club building.
Going over and heckling Spurrier and his team as they got on the bus right behind the M Club Bldg after the game was very memorable.
So was the drive back to Columbus (MS) and her hotel !

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Shane Matthews came to Starkville as the leading candidate for The Heisman and Starkville was his Waterloo.
Spurrier set a Genius Book of World Records for "visor chunks" that evening.

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogBlitz

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
1. Mvp of the game, Shane. Hahahahahhahaha.
2. So many names, such a fun time.
3. I liked Jackie's hat. Had one too.
4. Luster should have trucked Matthew's on that first int.
5. Wish there was a higher res video of this. My wife would be able to see me pretty clear. There was one good crowd shot that I know, but only because I knew where to look, I'm just a 160 lb blur. Heh

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024
I was 11 years old. It is not the first game I remember watching, but is is the first game I remember watching in its entirety and remember in detail. I had peewee football practice that evening and got home right after the opening kick off. I sat down in the living room floor just as State was lining up for the first play of the opening drive. That opening drive was a thing of beauty. Sleepy to Olando Truitt in back of the endzone. That entire season was so similar to 2000 - beat Florida and Auburn at home. Loss at South Carolina to the hands of a RAT quarterback. Loss to LSU (only difference that 1992 LSU team was terrible and beat us like a drum. We were the only SEC win they had). Loss at Ole Miss in wet weather.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
Hard to believe it's been 32 years. It was my junior year at State. The clapper flew out of my cowbell with about 5 minutes left; the shell of that bell is on the shelf behind me as I type this.

The "We want Shane!" chant after Matthews got yanked was perfect.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
I just remember I was very impatient in Physics lab that afternoon, long-past ready to get to the stadium. Easily one of the best games I ever attended at State.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login