$4.5 million buyout

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Is what I read on another board. There is a lot of year left and this team might well make a major turn around. I hope they do but personally I don't see it happening. Say it's a 4-8 or 5-7 year. Would you support firing Arnett or should he get another year ??

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't think they'll fire him after this year honestly, outside of us being completely hapless. I've about decided this doesn't matter at all until the end of the year. We could be 2-9 but if we put it together and beat Ole Miss, he will get another year.

Well, I better say 4-8. Can't lose to SMTTT either.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Contract is $3M/year for 4 years, with half the remaining money due at a buyout.

So assuming you fire him at the end of this season, he would have $9M left total, so that's where they are getting the $4.5M buyout number.

Andy Staples says there is a duty to mitigate clause, so if ZA took another job, say as a DC getting paid $1.2M/year, you'd only owe him the difference. That's why some people have said there would be very little buyout money due.

This is all just for clarity, I'm not advocating for it.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Contract is $3M/year for 4 years, with half the remaining money due at a buyout.

So assuming you fire him at the end of this season, he would have $9M left total, so that's where they are getting the $4.5M buyout number.

Andy Staples says there is a duty to mitigate clause, so if ZA took another job, say as a DC getting paid $1.2M/year, you'd only owe him the difference. That's why some people have said there would be very little buyout money due.

This is all just for clarity, I'm not advocating for it.
I'd take $4.5million to stay home and play with the kids for 3 years..........

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
Is what I read on another board. There is a lot of year left and this team might well make a major turn around. I hope they do but personally I don't see it happening. Say it's a 4-8 or 5-7 year. Would you support firing Arnett or should he get another year ??
Arnett is on his first head coaching job. The only game where we looked totally clueless was LSU. The man needs to get his recruits in.

Lose to Western Michigan, all bets are off.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
One hundred percent in favor of firing him at 4-8. That’s inexcusable.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
[IMG alt="IBleedMaroonDawg"]https://on3static.com/xf/data/avatars/s/769/769914.jpg?1664467411[/IMG]

IBleedMaroonDawg

Well-known member​

7-5 (3-5)

We have a lot returning but a **** load of unknowns. Come back and ask me after the South Carolina game. I hate this schedule more and more for getting the correct temperature of a rookie coach. We had a tough off-season but seem to have gotten ourselves back together.
--------------------------------------

I was slightly optimistic on the record, but I was more right than I wanted to be about what might happen this season. It's after the South Carolina game, and I still don't think we know where we stand. We've seen scoring against the gamecocks and we've seen us be utterly inept in the Alabama game.

We should have a better idea of where we stand after the Ole Miss game and whether we should go forward or not.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Yes it's 50 % of remaining contract due over 3 years minus any new salary he might take. As if he would. I mean I would not. I would be blown away if we beat an SEC opponents. I suppose Auburn is a slim possibility. Kentucky will simply run all over us. Arkansas and OM will shred us thru the air and on ground. I can't imagine we can snag a surefire coach but 2 or 3 years of struggle will suck

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Maybe I’m wrong but I would think he’d definitely take another job fairly quickly. He’s 37 years old, he’s not about to retire. He’s a young coach that I assume would want to work toward another shot at being a head coach. It’s not like he’s forfeited the money by taking another job. He’s guaranteed to get whatever the buyout is.

Reactions: knock him out john

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Yes it's 50 % of remaining contract due over 3 years minus any new salary he might take. As if he would. I mean I would not. I would be blown away if we beat an SEC opponents. I suppose Auburn is a slim possibility. Kentucky will simply run all over us. Arkansas and OM will shred us thru the air and on ground. I can't imagine we can snag a surefire coach but 2 or 3 years of struggle will suck
Based on what I’ve seen so far, especially talent evaluation-use of the portal, if he gets another year that means he and his staff replace the 19 departing seniors + whatever skill players depart in the portal. This is bad because if he whiffs on a lot of the roster replacements, the new coach coming in in two years is going to be hamstrung. this guarantees 3 years in a row of suckage.

Id rather bring in a smart experienced HC for next year, let him restock the roster and we will only take our lumps this year and next, not 3 years in a row.

On top of this you don’t know what scheme the next HC is going to run and the players may not fit his scheme, which just sets the rebuild back further. need a clean break.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Maybe I’m wrong but I would think he’d definitely take another job fairly quickly. He’s 37 years old, he’s not about to retire. He’s a young coach that I assume would want to work toward another shot at being a head coach. It’s not like he’s forfeited the money by taking another job. He’s guaranteed to get whatever the buyout is.
Personally I would prefer not working for a couple years

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Is what I read on another board. There is a lot of year left and this team might well make a major turn around. I hope they do but personally I don't see it happening. Say it's a 4-8 or 5-7 year. Would you sup0-3 port firing Arnett or should he get another year ??

I'm looking at it like it's Covid Year 2.0. He won't be fired after this season, but the fans will most likely stay away if we start 0-3 in 24

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
LOL! I love it when people do this kind of thing.
Serious Special Agent GIF by ABC Network

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Who negotiated a 4.5 million dollar buyout? That may be one of the dumbest fahking things I have ever heard. Keenum is a real dipshit

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Arnett is on his first head coaching job. The only game where we looked totally clueless was LSU. The man needs to get his recruits in.

Lose to Western Michigan, all bets are off.
I’d agree with this with a couple additional stipulations

1) Next season needs to either be the beginning of the Parson era or else we better find a legit QB in the portal to give CP more time.

2) If our HS recruiting is going to be where it is(the SEC cellar), Arnett needs to clean up in the portal. 7-8 SEC quality guys minimum that can start for us next year

If he’s not capable of these things, I don’t even know what we’re doing other than getting the results that you’d expect from having the lowest paid coach in the conference

Nov 25, 2019
Based on what I’ve seen so far, especially talent evaluation-use of the portal, if he gets another year that means he and his staff replace the 19 departing seniors + whatever skill players depart in the portal. This is bad because if he whiffs on a lot of the roster replacements, the new coach coming in in two years is going to be hamstrung. this guarantees 3 years in a row of suckage.

Id rather bring in a smart experienced HC for next year, let him restock the roster and we will only take our lumps this year and next, not 3 years in a row.

On top of this you don’t know what scheme the next HC is going to run and the players may not fit his scheme, which just sets the rebuild back further. need a clean break.
the only good thing is the portal can help you rebuild faster if you can get the talent or fill in the gaps. Prime is all about the portal and says it's hurting the high school recruiting. It will be up to the new coach to recruit and work the portal. Freeze is doing a good job of working the portal hard as well as Prime. They are competitive in their year one.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Who negotiated a 4.5 million dollar buyout? That may be one of the dumbest fahking things I have ever heard. Keenum is a real dipshit
1.5 million a year for 3 years with mitigation for future earnings from another coaching job is pretty cheap. If he took another job might only cost $500,000 a year for 3 years. I expected a bigger buyout. Less would be better but you know how this crap goes. Look at Orgeron and Mullen. I know he ain't them but these coaches are raking it in

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
That would be why they included a 'duty to mitigate' clause (assuming Staples is right about that). I have never seen the contract, so I don't know what it says, but I've seen lots of contracts where one party has an obligation to try to mitigate damage to the other party.

Let's say I'm a landlord and a tenant moves out before their term is up... I could simply sit there and wait on the tenant to pay rent on the empty space each month, UNLESS there is a clause that says I have to actively market the space to other tenants, to try to lessen the burden on the former tenant. So if Staples is correct, Arnett theoretically couldn't just sit there and eat bonbons waiting on his check for 3 years.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
It’s not like he’s forfeited the money by taking another job. He’s guaranteed to get whatever the buyout is.
In the scenario Staples laid out, (a) he has to try to get another job, and (b) that money would be deducted from his buyout.

I still think all this is a moot point right now, because we'll win at least 5 games.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Just bought Powerball tickets so don't worry fellas. I'll cover Arnett's buyout and get Caleb Williams to come for his last year of eligibility (as well as every handpicked starter across the country.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
1.5 million a year for 3 years with mitigation for future earnings from another coaching job is pretty cheap. If he took another job might only cost $500,000 a year for 3 years. I expected a bigger buyout. Less would be better but you know how this crap goes. Look at Orgeron and Mullen. I know he ain't them but these coaches are raking it in
Mullen and Orgeron were commodities at the time of their contract signings. The buyout is a leverage to prevent other schools from poaching them. Nobody was knocking on the door to grab Arnett and no reasonable person would expect that after 2023 a school would come courting. If Arnett went 11-1 this year we would completely renegotiate his contract so the buyout on the current contract would be moot.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Tbh he was never that good of a DC. What was the highest overall defense ranking ? Maybe 35 ? If you are in the SEC you need a top 20 ranked defense. He was no Peter Sirmon but nothing to brag about

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Tbh he was never that good of a DC. What was the highest overall defense ranking ? Maybe 35 ? If you are in the SEC you need a top 20 ranked defense. He was no Peter Sirmon but nothing to brag about
Right. I think his D was 7th in the sec last year. After this debacle this year I would not be surprised to see him pop up somewhere as DC like Nevada or Mountain West.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login