$4.5 million buyout

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Arnett is on his first head coaching job. The only game where we looked totally clueless was LSU. The man needs to get his recruits in.

Lose to Western Michigan, all bets are off.
The sec is not where you learn on the job. You are accepting bottom tier and the cellar this isn't 2007 anymore. It was okay for Dan because we were in the cellar for a long time but we have been out. It's been shown if you want to win in the sec you need a national champion OC to come be your head coach or you need a proven head coach winner across multiple conferences

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Arnett is on his first head coaching job. The only game where we looked totally clueless was LSU. The man needs to get his recruits in.

Lose to Western Michigan, all bets are off.
We've looked totally clueless on defense all year, and that's this coach's alleged specialty. Four different QBs have had career days against us THIS YEAR. And we're only five games in.

Screw that noise.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
We've looked totally clueless on defense all year, and that's this coach's alleged specialty. Four different QBs have had career days against us THIS YEAR. And we're only five games in.

Screw that noise.
Arnett's defenses have national rankings of 40 last year, 62 in 2021 and 57 in 2020. Not anything to brag about and especially considering we are in the SEC not the mountain west or whatever. I know everybody on this board likes to brag about Arnett but he ain't been great by no means

Reactions: Mjoelner

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Is what I read on another board. There is a lot of year left and this team might well make a major turn around. I hope they do but personally I don't see it happening. Say it's a 4-8 or 5-7 year. Would you support firing Arnett or should he get another year ??
0-8 in the league means he should be fired. You either have it or you don’t. Maybe he’ll eventually learn how to be a head coach, but it won’t be here.

And if Ole Miss finishes strong, that will put even more pressure on Keenum to fire him - Selmon will have little say. It sucks, but it didn’t have to be this way. Arnett thought he was smarter than Leach, and here we are with an offense that doesn’t fit the talent level and doesn’t put a lot of pressure on opposing DCs scheme wise.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
Arnett's defenses have national rankings of 40 last year, 62 in 2021 and 57 in 2020. Not anything to brag about and especially considering we are in the SEC not the mountain west or whatever. I know everybody on this board likes to brag about Arnett but he ain't been great by no means
But the thing you have to remember about this is that our defense was going against SEC offenses which definitely affects our stats.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
Big 12 also goes against Big 12, Sunbelt goes against Sunbelt, Pac 12 against Pac 12, etc. It all evens out.
By your logic, the junior high team that holds their opponents to 150 yards of offense is just as good as a D1 team who does the same thing.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
By your logic, the junior high team that holds their opponents to 150 yards of offense is just as good as a D1 team who does the same thing.
It kinda is if they're playing equal levels of competition. That's exactly what those rankings represent. Other teams may not be going up against SEC offenses, but they are not SEC defenses either.

This is why those rankings are silly, and really all rankings, all the way up to AP top 25 rankings. It's not apples to apples.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
My point is that if you have the 60th best defense playing in the SEC you are gonna get pushed up and down that field. We can't compete in our keague with a decent defense. We need a good defense and many times in the past we have had a better defense than that. I'm just saying he wasn't a great DC as most people seem to say. And it wasn't because the D was on the field too long cause they were not. We usually had good TOP

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
My point is that if you have the 60th best defense playing in the SEC you are gonna get pushed up and down that field. We can't compete in our keague with a decent defense. We need a good defense and many times in the past we have had a better defense than that. I'm just saying he wasn't a great DC as most people seem to say. And it wasn't because the D was on the field too long cause they were not. We usually had good TOP
Yes, we had very good TOP, now this year it’s like 118th in the country. brilliant

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Differing strengths of competition is a good reason to use FPI defensive rankings:

In 2020 through 2022, our defense was 18th, 33rd, and 11th. Pretty good. So far this year it's #85 though...

Poppy IV

Nov 24, 2016
I’m seeing 4-8 this year and back next year with a 5-7. After that we find some up and coming offensive coordinator if we’re lucky. That’s the future for football at MSU. The new world of NIL/portal is here and I’m afraid we’re not part of the conversation. The only thing that saves us is that there are just so many starting slots in Power 5 football and we have 22 of them. Plus a punter and a kicker.
Both of our basketball teams will be competitive, as will baseball.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Andy Staples says there is a duty to mitigate clause, so if ZA took another job, say as a DC getting paid $1.2M/year, you'd only owe him the difference. That's why some people have said there would be very little buyout money due.
Not sure if I can connect the dots on this one. Not saying at all that I’m in “Fire Arnett” mode, but if it gets to that point I see no way in hell that he’s getting a $1.2 million per year DC job.

I mean look where we are right now defensively. If he somehow ends up getting canned in 2023, that is going to be the biggest underlying root cause. He may have to go to Saban school of misfit coaches as an analyst working for peanuts for 2-3 seasons before anyone would touch him. So long story short, whatever the buyout would be, MSU would end up paying damn near all of it.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login