4.6M investment opportunity

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Most likely buyer is the University/MSU Foundation - but no one is paying anywhere near that price.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Most likely buyer is the University/MSU Foundation - but no one is paying anywhere near that price.
This is why we need a georgian land tax. Sitting on prime undeveloped real estate is great, but you shouldn't penalize people that develop property with higher taxes than the ones that just sit on it and leave it relatively unproductive.

They want to make more money than the people that would actually develop the property, more power to them. But don't encourage them to sit on it rather than develop it.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Doesn’t MSU already own the Hampton and a couple other hotels around town?

I use the term ‘own’ loosely because I think the for-profit arm of MSU is involved.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
This is why we need a georgian land tax. Sitting on prime undeveloped real estate is great, but you shouldn't penalize people that develop property with higher taxes than the ones that just sit on it and leave it relatively unproductive.

They want to make more money than the people that would actually develop the property, more power to them. But don't encourage them to sit on it rather than develop it.
What am I missing here? How is a house "undeveloped real estate?"

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
What am I missing here? How is a house "undeveloped real estate?"
The house is definitely not the highest and best use of that land anymore.

Not sure the land is worth $4 million but it’s probably fairly valuable.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
How in the world could the math work on any investment there at $4.6 million? Any developers on here that can provide a rough picture for us?

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
How in the world could the math work on any investment there at $4.6 million? Any developers on here that can provide a rough picture for us?
It won't. That pricing is absurd (until some moron pays for it).

we have a similarly priced lot where I live. My only guess is the owners are currently comfortable with their income and just looking to retire on the sale.

my estimate on the property was max 400k. They want 1.7 mil. Maybe in a decade.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not a developer but looks like there is new construction nearby listed at over $500 per sq ft. I have no clue if they'll get close to that, but if you can actually sell a condo for $500 per sq ft, and that lot is zoned to allow dense development, you can probably make that purchase price work. Still would probably result in somebody taking a ton of risk on for relatively little upside.

Reactions: Maroon13

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I think maybe that was Dan Camp's mothers house and Dan made all the money he needed while alive so they've probably thrown out that astronomical figure thinking if they get it great, if not today, somebody will buy it one day at a premium to add to his estate he left for the rest of the family.

Reactions: Maroon13

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I think maybe that was Dan Camp's mothers house and Dan made all the money he needed while alive so they've probably thrown out that astronomical figure thinking if they get it great, if not today, somebody will buy it one day at a premium to add to his estate he left for the rest of the family.
Onx (which can definitely be wrong) says last name Gilmer owns it. I do think that is likely correct or was in the past. Pretty sure one of my finance professors lived there. He also owned the pool hall… RH Gilmer was his name I think.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login