5 offensive linemen - Mike Leach knows what he is doing....

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
....I mean what a breath of fresh air, finally. I was clamoring for Mullen to do this for a damned decade. How many promising QBs did we watch during the Sherrill, Croom and Mullen tenures fall victim to a faulty offensive line. We'd have a senior laden bunch and the QB did fine, then we'd replace with underclassmen and the QB would get killed. Jordan - Taite - Wyatt - Madkin - Fant - Conner - Carroll - Relf - Russell. Dak was the only one who was able to rise above it and he had a **** line in 2015 as well, and had to scheme around it. Thankfully we had some good WRs too.

Leach knows to sign 4-5 of the big uglies yearly. Always have an upperclass ready to take over. Same on the DL.

Underclassmen in the trenches gets you killed.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
One thing Dak had was a mean *** Viking snapping the ball to him.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
What has he always said is the most important position group on the team ??? OL. Always. Coached it. For all the 14 QB and 38 WR talk he still puts the O Line first. Oh and let's not forget this part " but but....Leach can't recruit" hahaha

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Not his senior year....all those 2014 guys were seniors (Day, Clausell, Beckwith). Can't remember who took over as center in 2015 but it wasn't Day.

You right and I think his Senior year he had a TE or a DT that moved to Offensive Tackle that struggled. I might be wrong.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I always thought Omar Conner could have been a special player if he played for anyone other than Croom and behind that offensive line. He's still one of my all time favorites even though he's not someone who comes immediately to mind when discussing all time favorite players.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
CML did a great job of filling needs in this class. It's therapeutic

I can't wait to see Percy develop. Dude has the frame I've always wanted at left tackle.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I think I’ve mentioned this story before, but I was at a WWE Raw in Memphis right around ‘14 or ‘15, and as always, we were cutting up with the fans around us. 30 minutes or so into the show, the guy next to me points out some massive guy a couple rows in front of us that he swears must be a WWE developmental guy. Well, no more than another half hour later, this dude gets shown on the Jumbotron with his buddy, and lo and behold… I’m like holy hell, that’s Dillon Day!

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
Kind of hard to have backup upper classmen in today's age. They will portal somewhere they can start

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I love how you skipped Henig. They wouldn't block for the rich jackass, not that they couldn't.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Which is really stupid. Only about 16% of kids who portal find new teams. Most portal them selves off the field forever.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I love how you skipped Henig. They wouldn't block for the rich jackass, not that they couldn't.
No offense to him but I was listing guys who had shown the ability to win in the SEC, behind a decent OL. Henig did the best he could, which we all would have done, just didn’t have the ability. He had guts to go into those games and get beat up the way he did.

biguglyjoe

Mar 3, 2008
I always thought Omar Conner could have been a special player if he played for anyone other than Croom and behind that offensive line. He's still one of my all time favorites even though he's not someone who comes immediately to mind when discussing all time favorite players.
I've long said this university should issue OC an official apology.

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
You prove with every post what a JACKASS YOU ARE!!!
This board was much better before you showed up !!

My favorite is when he basically said i deserved to die when i got covid. I cant wait until he needs a plumber.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
What has he always said is the most important position group on the team ??? OL. Always. Coached it. For all the 14 QB and 38 WR talk he still puts the O Line first. Oh and let's not forget this part " but but....Leach can't recruit" hahaha

Well he’s getting out recruited by everyone in the conference except the Confederates and Vandy. It’s fine as long as they produce.

IPMdawg

Aug 22, 2012
He’s doing the best he can given our middle class alumni base. If you want to see better, be a BigDawg and shell out some NIL money.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Well he’s getting out recruited by everyone in the conference except the Confederates and Vandy. It’s fine as long as they produce.
Nah, not really. It's pretty well known that MS talent is underrated, not to mention the recruiting services usually let the coaches do the recruiting for them. Our class is generally more talented than it looks, but it doesn't matter. The tiers are as follows:

1) 1-5, that's usually elite level stuff;
2) 6-15, that's still national title caliber with the right QB;
3) the rest.

Unfortunately Texas A&M has moved into the top tier, but they've honestly always been on the cusp of it. TX talent is notoriously overrated, but they are pulling in big out of state names.

Last edited:

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I don't look at the rankings as much as I look at the average for the class. I figure if you are within approximately 1 point of other teams in the conference then you are ok. With that in mind UK is ranked 4th in the SEC. They have an 88.69 average and we have an 87.51 according to 247. We are 10th and Arky is 9th but we have a higher average than them (87.25).

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I don't look at the rankings as much as I look at the average for the class. I figure if you are within approximately 1 point of other teams in the conference then you are ok. With that in mind UK is ranked 4th in the SEC. They have an 88.69 average and we have an 87.51 according to 247. We are 10th and Arky is 9th but we have a higher average than them (87.25).

However it happens the team has to get better because everyone else is too. I think Leach is a good enough coach to make up for talent deficiencies but he will need more options than we have now. It looks like they at least recruited to the proper needs of the team which is more than I can say for Mullen. He always had one position or another they let slide.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
However it happens the team has to get better because everyone else is too. I think Leach is a good enough coach to make up for talent deficiencies but he will need more options than we have now. It looks like they at least recruited to the proper needs of the team which is more than I can say for Mullen. He always had one position or another they let slide.
We are easily the most underrated team in the rankings on the year in, year out basis. It makes sense, we are in Mississippi, and never get the benefit of the doubt in anything, and we also play second fiddle to Ole Miss, who is master at playing the public relations game. Our players are underrated in the state (and tend to have high upside), our commitments don't get a bump by signing with us, and we really don't have any powerful people promoting us. When we land in or around 20, we have done an incredible job. That last happened in 2009, 2012 and 2015, and you know how those turned out.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login