$50M and a half-full arena

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It’s ok. While I appreciate the defense, this is the type of topic that creates a lot of @$$ pain for this board and others in the fan base.

MSU is a microcosm of state of Mississippi — it doesn’t want to address the issues that prevent it for success (and forget about being elite).

Instead, people (and organizations) prefer to remember and long for old times, refuse to change and adapt, blame everyone and everything else, attack those that would disagree (including the people who want and/or have the capacity to help), and then - astonishingly - complain that nobody respects “us.”

Not the path to improvement and excellence
Yep. The same folks who want Mississippi to be great are driving a lot of the people who possess the ability to do just that out of the state.

We’ve talked about it: Mississippi doesn’t offer people enough to move here.

Cheap land and cheaper costs ain’t gonna get the talented people with more disposable income here.

Really talented people - like you - have strongly considered taking positions in Jackson.

Note to @OG Goat Holder — I was speaking of Mr. Cook when I posted a year and a half ago or so about the friend thinking of making the Jackson work move. Y’all agree a lot: A Strong Jackson is Vital to Mississippi.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Not when school is out and it's a Wed night game. 8160 was the official attendance by the way.
If you were a true fan of Starkville, you’d want the Spring Semester to begin this week for the betterment of the city’s economy and the university. Instead you want to keep Mississippi down and depressed with your backward thinking. **

#StarkvilleGonnaStarkville

Last edited:

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We weren’t big time then either. That run lasted 2 years. Yay. You obviously are ok with that.

You can always yell at me for being negative like the rest of the boomers, who are fine with being average and eating casseroles.
The hype going into that year was big time. That's the most preseason hype for any season in any sport ever at MSU. We even filled up Midnight Madness.....after a football game.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I don't see the need to spend so much on buildings for basketball and baseball, sports that don't make much money and don't appear to matter if you want good teams. Did anyone consult Dave Ramsey on this?
Men's basketball makes money. I agree on baseball. Nobody outside of about 10-15 schools cares about college baseball.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
8,160 was the announced attendance. I was there. It was slow to get there, but that seems about right.

Why doesn’t the pit - or whatever it’s called - have more students in it? I’m talking about the standing room area opposite the benches, where the banana came from.
You do know the students aren't back yet right?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
State website and a couple of other sources say the capacity is 9,100. I thought it was closer to 10,000. Either way, it ended up being a good crowd that was enthusiastic the entire game.
It was around 10k. The renovations downsized it a bit.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It’s ok. While I appreciate the defense, this is the type of topic that creates a lot of @$$ pain for this board and others in the fan base.

MSU is a microcosm of state of Mississippi — it doesn’t want to address the issues that prevent it for success (and forget about being elite).

Instead, people (and organizations) prefer to remember and long for old times, refuse to change and adapt, blame everyone and everything else, attack those that would disagree (including the people who want and/or have the capacity to help), and then - astonishingly - complain that nobody respects “us.”

Not the path to improvement and excellence
What has prevented the basketball crowd from coming back since we became respectable again WAS a change.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Construction costs for government projects are out of control. I saw where Mississippi is building a new dorm. Cost is $200,000 per bed.
Construction cost for that parking garage across the street from the Hump was $18,000 PER PARKING SPACE. But it uses solar power, collects rainwater to be used for irrigation purposes, has LED lighting, etc, etc, so there's that for the environmentally seeeensitive crowd.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Yep. The same folks who want Mississippi to be great are driving a lot of the people who possess the ability to do just that out of the state.

We’ve talked about it: Mississippi doesn’t offer people enough to move here.

Cheap land and cheaper costs ain’t gonna get the talented people with more disposable income here.

Really talented people - like you - have strongly considered taking positions in Jackson.

Note to @OG Goat Holder — I was speaking of Mr. Cook when I posted a year and a half ago or so about the friend thinking of making the Jackson work move. Y’all agree a lot: A Strong Jackson is Vital to Mississippi.
It is, but as long as the municipal government there continues to do the same old thing it will continue to get worse. The revitalization of Jackson has to start with them.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It is, but as long as the municipal government there continues to do the same old thing it will continue to get worse. The revitalization of Jackson has to start with them.
No shlt Sherlock.

You literally don't understand the deeper meaning of anything, and you don't even try. I mean you don't even understand that while 1995 and 1996 were the best years in MSU history, it still doesn't make a consistent program.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Wrong. The revitalization starts here:

Universe Mirror GIF

A LOT of folks need to clean their mirrors.

And it’s not just & importantly ONLY Jacksonians. What affects Jackson also affects Burnsnox, Mississippi.

Folks need to get out of the Them thinking and consider Us.

Reactions: Dawgg and Mr. Cook

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Construction costs for government projects are out of control. I saw where Mississippi is building a new dorm. Cost is $200,000 per bed.
$200k per bed is paid off in nearly 10 years and it will last 50+ years. That's well worth the cost imo with the university not having enough room to house all incoming freshmen the past few years.

Reactions: Dawg84

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Until we can see some positive future for long term College Athletics it doesn’t seem smart to spend a nickel on facilities for any sport. As everyone knows the whole thing is a huge mess currently and no one knows where things will be in 10 years. Investing money in facilities seems very hard to justify right now. Just the revenue sharing issue alone is enough to give you pause, not to mention the whole portal, NIL cluster.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Construction cost for that parking garage across the street from the Hump was $18,000 PER PARKING SPACE. But it uses solar power, collects rainwater to be used for irrigation purposes, has LED lighting, etc, etc, so there's that for the environmentally seeeensitive crowd.
- First off, I think it is $28,000 per space. $14MM for 500 spaces.
- Secondly, MSU charges money for use so its not like the parking garage is some massive financial loss. Revenue
- Third, if the cost per space really is $28,000 then it was right in line with the national average for '22. Yes, I recognize that MSU's garage was built a couple years earlier and the average cost would be lower. Point is, the cost may have been higher than average, but it isnt wildly egregious.
- Fourth, if the solar power is projected to reduce energy costs then thats a good investment. If the LED lighting is projected to reduce energy costs and reduce maintenance costs(physical and labor) then thats a good invesment. If rainwater collection reduces water costs then thats a good investment.

You clearly take issue with the 'green' features. Do you have any actual information that shows it was a mistake for MSU to include these at the costs MSU paid for them?...or are you just complaining out of ignorance?

May '22 - $27,900 per space - Table below shows costs per city for '22, which is a couple years after when MSU's costs would have been calculated.
1704984955603.png

It would be significantly less expensive to build a parking lot for 500 vehicles. At 350sqft/space, it looks like $1850-2250 per space would have been the range back when this parking garage was started.
500 spaces would take up 4.5 to 5 acres of land. That is massive and I personally dont want MSU to be endless paved parking lots spread across a large campus. It would cost less, but it would be less convenient for users and reduce green space(which is kinda nice to have in life. call me a sensitive if you want).

Last edited:

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Our basketball attendance problem is mainly ...

The GTR is a football and baseball region. Basketball just isn't that big of deal there. Also half the people are Alabama fans.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Run me a quick comparison of Starkville with no students to the locations of the "big time" programs that fill up all the time, ie Durham, Lexington etc
Hey man, I'm just laying out facts, I know all the excuses.

Our basketball attendance problem is mainly ...

The GTR is a football and baseball region. Basketball just isn't that big of deal there. Also half the people are Alabama fans.
People in MS love baseball and love to hunt. But the strange thing to me is that we've been able to develop the at least minimal level basketball culture we have.

They love football too but I think that's just because football is so popular, more than anything. They aren't willing to do what it takes there. And our best players head out of state.

MS people will absolutely do what it takes for baseball and hunting/fishing.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

And it’s not just & importantly ONLY Jacksonians. What affects Jackson also affects Burnsnox, Mississippi.

And nobody is wanting it to be some thriving multi-racial metropolis like Atlanta or Charlotte. The goal is just something like Birmingham, with some mutual agreement between the city government and the investors, who understand that you need a downtown business and entertainment district, even if it's a small one.

MS people won't even entertain a downtown baseball stadium. They truly think Jackson is a war zone.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Mouthbreather take. Casseroles can be awesome.

I used to make this one for my kids before I got married: I’d put down a layer of tater tots, a layer of cheese, then I’d slice hot dogs (like the nice angus beef ones) into little coins and lay them on top of the cheese, then cover that with two cans of chili, then another layer of cheese, then a sprinkle real bacon bits over that and put it in the oven. So take your casserole slander and shove it up your аss.
There is a fine line between a good, solid dish and a heart-attack inducing rectangle of puke. I heard of this thing called a layered salad a few years ago, where there is a solid layer of mayonnaise over the top of the lettuce and other things. Puke. And I actually like mayonnaise/cream/etc. But at some point there's just too much fat.

Sausage and saffron rice casserole is awesome.

1 lb of breakfast sausage
1 large jar of cheese whiz
1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 pack yellow saffron rice

brown the sausage mix it all together 350 for about 25 minutes.
Ugh man ugh

My hatred doesn't just encompass casseroles, more just about the overload of processed fattening. My dad once made grilled cheeses with mayonnaise in them (inside with the cheese), along with the layer of butter to toast the outside. Tasted like pure liquid. Sickening.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
State website and a couple of other sources say the capacity is 9,100. I thought it was closer to 10,000. Either way, it ended up being a good crowd that was enthusiastic the entire game.
I think we lost capacity in the "renovations".

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Until we can see some positive future for long term College Athletics it doesn’t seem smart to spend a nickel on facilities for any sport. As everyone knows the whole thing is a huge mess currently and no one knows where things will be in 10 years. Investing money in facilities seems very hard to justify right now. Just the revenue sharing issue alone is enough to give you pause, not to mention the whole portal, NIL cluster.
I don't totally disagree, as far as building new. But we have to maintain what we have. And I'm going to throw out what will definitely be an unpopular opinion - I think it was a smart idea to renovate the Hump. Saved money, kept a little tradition. And many people will say why didn't we build suites - well, I don't think we have the basketball fan clientele to do that. Our booster group there is smaller (but willing to make things happen). And the games are shorter in duration, and aren't a whole weekend event like football and baseball. These big, nice arenas just make more sense in the cities.

John Cohen was not nearly as bad as everyone thinks he was.

Reactions: Dawg84 and Mr. Cook

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Wrong. The revitalization starts here:

Universe Mirror GIF

I thought your gif was suggesting we nuke Jackson at first, which while extreme might would be a good start.

But to your point, it's mostly not people outside of Jackson fighting the CID zone. There are certainly people that are curmudgeonly and don't want any state money going into Jackson, but I think you'd have a pretty easy political consensus to invest state money in Jackson if it came with state control over important areas. People want a decent capital city but they understandably don't want to give money to the normal corrupt Jackson politicians, especially when leaving control with them means we likely get nothing for the money.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I thought your gif was suggesting we nuke Jackson at first, which while extreme might would be a good start.

😂 When I saw that complete mirror gif, I laughed… but I still liked the imagery of being able to see better…
But to your point, it's mostly not people outside of Jackson fighting the CID zone. There are certainly people that are curmudgeonly and don't want any state money going into Jackson, but I think you'd have a pretty easy political consensus to invest state money in Jackson if it came with state control over important areas. People want a decent capital city but they understandably don't want to give money to the normal corrupt Jackson politicians, especially when leaving control with them means we likely get nothing for the money.

I’m certainly not saying Jacksonians are excused from this struggle.

I agree that solutions and courses of action are needed and implemented by a lot of people via different authorities— city, county, state, federal, and private (profit and nonprofit): In Other Words, Us.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
There is a fine line between a good, solid dish and a heart-attack inducing rectangle of puke. I heard of this thing called a layered salad a few years ago, where there is a solid layer of mayonnaise over the top of the lettuce and other things. Puke. And I actually like mayonnaise/cream/etc. But at some point there's just too much fat.

Ugh man ugh

My hatred doesn't just encompass casseroles, more just about the overload of processed fattening. My dad once made grilled cheeses with mayonnaise in them (inside with the cheese), along with the layer of butter to toast the outside. Tasted like pure liquid. Sickening.
unimpressed jerk off motion GIF

Then don’t 17ing eat it. You sound like my brother in law telling me at the dinner table what’s in my food. I politely told him to basically STFU New Year’s Eve.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

No question that at some point, Jackson will need to elect a mayor that understands that he needs help from the outside. And by the outside, I'm not talking about national radical organizations, like babychok seems to want. I'm talking about the state and the rest of the immediate metro. This is what happened in Birmingham, when they elected William Bell, and 'sort of' Larry Langford before that, though he was over the top and kinda pulled a Frank Melton. And they followed that up with Woodfin, who seems to share the same mindset.

But make no mistake, the power players in the B'ham Metro were involved in city politics. At this point, no one in the Jackson Metro seems interested in getting involved and making things happen.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
And I'm going to throw out what will definitely be an unpopular opinion - I think it was a smart idea to renovate the Hump. Saved money, kept a little tradition. And many people will say why didn't we build suites - well, I don't think we have the basketball fan clientele to do that. Our booster group there is smaller (but willing to make things happen).
It’s an unpopular opinion on this board, but I don’t think it is that unpopular among those who regularly attend games. I think the renovations have been a significant improvement.

The project came in at $15M under budget. From what I have heard, there is still a possibility of adding suites on the side opposite the club level in an additional phase.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
At this point, no one in the Jackson Metro seems interested in getting involved and making things happen.
I don’t think lack of involvement is the issue so much as it is that Jackson City Government is perceived as being non-communicative with people who disagree with them.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
$200k per bed is paid off in nearly 10 years and it will last 50+ years. That's well worth the cost imo with the university not having enough room to house all incoming freshmen the past few years.
There is no way that either of those numbers are close to right. First of all, you're not taking in over $20k per year per student. That's almost $2k/month in rent for student housing in MS....there's just no way. Second, you are absolutely not getting 50+ years out of that initial up front investment. Hell I would be surprised if the building was even still standing in 50 years.

$200k per bed is totally ridiculous.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
There is no way that either of those numbers are close to right. First of all, you're not taking in over $20k per year per student. That's almost $2k/month in rent for student housing in MS....there's just no way. Second, you are absolutely not getting 50+ years out of that initial up front investment. Hell I would be surprised if the building was even still standing in 50 years.

$200k per bed is totally ridiculous.
That dorm will probably be $5k per semester per bed, I guess I slightly underestimated. I still feel like the dorm will well outlive it's usefulness. Rice Hall was built in '68 and it was still used for dorms until 2020. I'd bet the house that this dorm lasts at least that long if not significantly longer. Even then, if it only lasts 40 years it pays itself off twice over.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
SW Chicken casserole- chicken breast diced, unsalted black beans, regular brown rice, unsalted diced tomatoes, unsalted canned or frozen corn, spices, shredded cheese.
This isnt some outlier for casseroles as there are tons that arent heavily processed or heavy cream based.
Would it somehow be more acceptable if it stays in a large skillet and doesnt reach the oven? There is just nothing fundamentally different, but it suddenly isnt a casserole.

I dont care if you dislike casseroles- you do you with that. This is just once again one of your over the top claims or insults.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
SW Chicken casserole- chicken breast diced, unsalted black beans, regular brown rice, unsalted diced tomatoes, unsalted canned or frozen corn, spices, shredded cheese.
This isnt some outlier for casseroles as there are tons that arent heavily processed or heavy cream based.
Would it somehow be more acceptable if it stays in a large skillet and doesnt reach the oven? There is just nothing fundamentally different, but it suddenly isnt a casserole.

I dont care if you dislike casseroles- you do you with that. This is just once again one of your over the top claims or insults.
Ya'll are ridiculous. Yeah, I was being a smartass. You don't have to get butt hurt about every detail. Let me spell this out - I was making fun of baby boomers and "this is what I know, nothing else matters, and by damn it's right" attitude.

But your 'casserole' would probably be good (without the beans). I might add peas or mushrooms or something there instead.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login