$51.3M

CharlieWinfield

Feb 15, 2015
This is tough to reconcile. I’m hopeful, and somewhat optimistic, that we will see a major change / shift by the powers that be to a revenue-sharing heavy model within 12 months.

Reactions: Dawgg

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Fans have been asked to support State athletics for decades. Used to be the Bulldog Club, now it’s BC and Bulldog Initiative.

I don’t recall people freaking out when the Bulldog Club would ask for donations, regardless of how big the SEC payout was.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The TV money supports all athletics, and you’d be surprised to see that’s it’s not all that much left over. These people that want the school to play players simply don’t get it.

If you choose to donate to athletics, better hit up the BI. Remember, most sports donors are now doing BI (and paying out coach salaries, when necessary). The TV money is now filling that gap where the donations to the school once were.

These are facts. If you want to do what the OP wants and is pushing, we aren’t going to have non-revenue sports.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
lol what are you claiming I am pushing in a post without a body?
Just judging by your posts the other day. Don’t deny you were posting that sort of like one of those passive aggressive Facebook posts. Come on mane

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Just judging by your posts the other day. Don’t deny you were posting that sort of like one of those passive aggressive Facebook posts. Come on mane
Why don't you tell me what you think I am pushing? It's possible you are mistaken. For example, I am not against non-revenue sports, if that's what you are claiming. (I don't know what you are claiming.)

You might say, "Are you saying X?" And I might respond, "No, I'm not saying that."

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Why don't you tell me what you think I am pushing? It's possible you are mistaken. For example, I am not against non-revenue sports, if that's what you are claiming. (I don't know what you are claiming.)

You might say, "Are you saying X?" And I might respond, "No, I'm not saying that."
Geez. You said you’re a hardcore capitalist and want the schools to pay for everything. You were complaining about them asking for donations.

Bottom line, folks like you either need to be happy with the current system of NIL paying football and basketball players, or admit you want to cut the non-revenue sports (so the schools can pay the football and basketball players, thus the fans/alimni/boosters don’t have to - even though they still will).

Can’t have it both ways bro. The money will run out.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Geez. You said you’re a hardcore capitalist and want the schools to pay for everything. You were complaining about them asking for donations.

Bottom line, folks like you either need to be happy with the current system of NIL paying football and basketball players, or admit you want to cut the non-revenue sports (so the schools can pay the football and basketball players, thus the fans/alimni/boosters don’t have to - even though they still will).

Can’t have it both ways bro. The money will run out.
How did non revenue sports get funded prior to the tv money? I remember not too long ago when our total athletic budget was less than what we get now in just tv money. It’s not an unreasonable take for someone to say the tv money should be paying any NIL the players get. Hell I think even the athletic departments want that.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How did non revenue sports get funded prior to the tv money? I remember not too long ago when our total athletic budget was less than what we get now in just tv money. It’s not an unreasonable take for someone to say the tv money should be paying any NIL the players get. Hell I think even the athletic departments want that.
It was a lot cheaper. You don’t remember all the talks about LT keeping us in the black around 2007? Byrne kinda put us in the red until the donations picked up and TV revenue started coming in.

I don’t think they do, as far as ADs. They know the truth. That’s why they stay quiet on the NCAA. I don’t think Sankey even wants the NCAA to dissolve. They want to help it before some judge rules and it sticks. Follow the money.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The TV money SHOULD be paying the athletes salaries. But it can’t under the current rules. It can pay everything we contribute to Bulldog Club for. Anyone contributing to bulldog Club is wasting their money when it could be put to much better use by Bulldog Initiative

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The TV money SHOULD be paying the athletes salaries. But it can’t under the current rules. It can pay everything we contribute to Bulldog Club for. Anyone contributing to bulldog Club is wasting their money when it could be put to much better use by Bulldog Initiative
Only if you want non revenue to become basically club sports with no scholarships.

TV money is now taking up the BC shortage, which now goes to NIL.

Man if yall get what you want, things will change. BIG time

patdog

May 28, 2007
Only if you want non revenue to become basically club sports with no scholarships.

TV money is now taking up the BC shortage, which now goes to NIL.

Man if yall get what you want, things will change. BIG time
It doesn’t matter what we want. I don’t want to contribute to paying athletes who can transfer at any time either. In the real world, there’s no reason to contribute to Bulldog Club and not Bulldog Initiative. Screw seating. You can move to another cheaper seat or buy tickets cheap on the secondary market. Those are just facts.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It doesn’t matter what we want. I don’t want to contribute to paying athletes who can transfer at any time either. In the real world, there’s no reason to contribute to Bulldog Club and not Bulldog Initiative. Screw seating. You can move to another cheaper seat or buy tickets cheap on the secondary market. Those are just facts.
We are talking different things. I don’t disagree with what you say. But the reality is they can transfer, and that’s not changing. So you specifically just have to not pay.

You move to an employee system and college athletics is dead.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We are talking different things. I don’t disagree with what you say. But the reality is they can transfer, and that’s not changing. So you specifically just have to not pay.

You move to an employee system and college athletics is dead.
The question is are we going to compete or not. If you don’t pay, you’re going to be Vanderbilt, or worse.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I wasn't complaining about donations. I said that if you are donating, it makes sense to direct at least some of your donation to the Bulldog Initiative.

I'll go farther and say that as far as contributing to a competitive advantage, the marginal utility of a dollar given to the Bulldog Initiative is greater than that of the Bulldog Club. That doesn't mean I'm against the Bulldog Club or think that people shouldn't be giving to the Bulldog Club.

I also said that athletic departments are bloated bureaucracies. Just like universities have hired thousands of non-teaching staff, athletic departments have hired thousands of non-coaching staff (that didn't exist a few decades ago). That's where the fat should be cut.

And I don't know what you mean by "want the schools to pay for everything." I am for sharing revenue with the athletes, if that's what you mean. I would be for revenue sharing that is uniform across the team (like scholarships). NIL would continue to be based on the market for an individual player.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Bulldog club paid for scholarships. Or so we were told. The incentive was better seats etc.

BI is to pay for a salary that everyone said the players could earn themselves. The fans receive no benefit as far as seats and etc for paying a salary.

Lastly, you can reduce your BC contribution. However you'll move to lesser seats. Also the school is raising BC contribution requirements.

Fans are being cucked.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The question is are we going to compete or not. If you don’t pay, you’re going to be Vanderbilt, or worse.

Me paying 'just a cup of coffee a day' or whatever the 17 amount, will not keep us from becoming Vandy.
10,000 of us doing that also won't keep us from becoming Vandy.
Furthermore, it won't make us UGA or Bama.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022

Me paying 'just a cup of coffee a day' or whatever the 17 amount, will not keep us from becoming Vandy.
10,000 of us doing that also won't keep us from becoming Vandy.
Furthermore, it won't make us UGA or Bama.
I have no clue how many people we have giving $1-1.5k/year, but if it were 10k people, that would be $10-15 million/year (on top of whatever big donors are giving). Would that not have an on-field impact?

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Does all athletics revenue go to the SEC for redistribution? Doesn't each school keep gate and concessions? Is there a gate split for home and away games? I also thought you get an extra percentage of bowl money for the one you attend? All that isn't part of the 51Mil, right?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I have no clue how many people we have giving $1-1.5k/year, but if it were 10k people, that would be $10-15 million/year (on top of whatever big donors are giving). Would that not have an on-field impact?
I have 0 confidence that MSU is just $10 or $15MM away from competing for the top few spots in the conference, much less a CFP spot.
Also, I don't think not having $10 or $15MM would, on its own, make us terrible.

I think more than just money is keeping MSU football from competing for a top spot in the conference or CFP.
But if you think it will make a difference, then give up drinking coffee.

Reactions: Gooserip

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Does all athletics revenue go to the SEC for redistribution? Doesn't each school keep gate and concessions? Is there a gate split for home and away games? I also thought you get an extra percentage of bowl money for the one you attend? All that isn't part of the 51Mil, right?
This is each school’s cut of the conference revenue only (mainly TV money). Every SEC athletic department’s revenue and expenses are north of $100 million/year.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The $51m is just what we receive from the SEC for being a member. Our total revenue is around $110 million per year. Which ranks last in the sec.

Vandy doesn't publish their athletic rev and exp because they're a private school. I imagine they are below us.

Last edited:

engie

May 29, 2011
The TV money supports all athletics, and you’d be surprised to see that’s it’s not all that much left over. These people that want the school to play players simply don’t get it.

These are facts. If you want to do what the OP wants and is pushing, we aren’t going to have non-revenue sports.

MSU athletics pocketed $8.203 million net profit last year on $109 million revenue. We spent a total of $1.12 million on recruiting expenses.

Ole Miss pocketed $0 net profit last year on $123 million revenue. They spent a total of $1.91 million on recruiting expenses.

State has “rainy day funded” money like this at about this yearly level for as long as I’ve been a fan and known where to find the data… since at least the start of the Mullen era.

Where is all of that money and what is it being used for? What is the plan for it?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
MSU athletics pocketed $8.203 million net profit last year on $109 million revenue. We spent a total of $1.12 million on recruiting expenses.

Ole Miss pocketed $0 net profit last year on $123 million revenue. They spent a total of $1.91 million on recruiting expenses.

State has “rainy day funded” money like this at about this yearly level for as long as I’ve been a fan and known where to find the data… since at least the start of the Mullen era.

Where is all of that money and what is it being used for? What is the plan for it?
Probably sitting in an account somewhere earning interest. Glad we had it during COVID. Thanks Cohen.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I have 0 confidence that MSU is just $10 or $15MM away from competing for the top few spots in the conference, much less a CFP spot.
Also, I don't think not having $10 or $15MM would, on its own, make us terrible.

I think more than just money is keeping MSU football from competing for a top spot in the conference or CFP.
But if you think it will make a difference, then give up drinking coffee.
No kidding. I've got news for you. We haven't been just $10-15MM away from competing on even terms with the elite schools in the conference in the last 100 years (inflation adjusted), and we won't be for the next 100 years either. But we'll be a hell of a lot more competitive against the middle tier teams (and sometimes even the elite) with 10,000 people giving $50/month than we will be without them.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Typical Mississippi State stupidity. Our neighbors to the northwest get it. They don't have all the resources the elite schools do, but by damn, they're going to compete as well as they can.

Reactions: Dawg84 and Maroon13

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
No kidding. I've got news for you. We haven't been just $10-15MM away from competing on even terms with the elite schools in the conference in the last 100 years (inflation adjusted), and we won't be for the next 100 years either. But we'll be a hell of a lot more competitive against the middle tier teams (and sometimes even the elite) with 10,000 people giving $50/month than we will be without them.
Typical Mississippi State stupidity. Our neighbors to the northwest get it. They don't have all the resources the elite schools do, but by damn, they're going to compete as well as they can.
Interesting (to me) side point. Back in the old days, when you talk about the elites - they had some things in common - big stadiums, fans that showed up to those stadiums consistently, and lived and breathed football. This created a great culture, and an environment where football could thrive. Coaches and players are attracted to this.

Money has always been a part, but now we've injected a little more with legal NIL. But it's just a part.

Ole Miss certainly has better culture than us (you can tell this easily by the fact that they've been able to attract better players over the years), but they still have a smaller fanbase than the elites. They are attempting to bridge that gap with bigger money. I'm curious how the equation plays out, and if they can get on par with the elites without having the overall fanbase.

I guess Oregon has done it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Interesting (to me) side point. Back in the old days, when you talk about the elites - they had some things in common - big stadiums, fans that showed up to those stadiums consistently, and lived and breathed football. This created a great culture, and an environment where football could thrive. Coaches and players are attracted to this.

Money has always been a part, but now we've injected a little more with legal NIL. But it's just a part.

Ole Miss certainly has better culture than us (you can tell this easily by the fact that they've been able to attract better players over the years), but they still have a smaller fanbase than the elites. They are attempting to bridge that gap with bigger money. I'm curious how the equation plays out, and if they can get on par with the elites without having the overall fanbase.

I guess Oregon has done it.
My opinion is Mississippi will never truly be on par with the elites. They simply don't have the fanbase or the money. But they'll do a much better job than we will of being very competitive in that 2nd tier behind the elites (say top 15-25 schools) than we will based on what I'm seeing from both schools the last couple of years.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
My opinion is Mississippi will never truly be on par with the elites. They simply don't have the fanbase or the money. But they'll do a much better job than we will of being very competitive in that 2nd tier behind the elites (say top 15-25 schools) than we will based on what I'm seeing from both schools the last couple of years.
MS schools have two ways to get on par with the elites:

1) Combine schools (not happening);
2) In-state population boom or some attractive out-of-state recruiting coup, thus enrollment boom, thus alumni boom. Even if this happened immediately, it'll take 20 years to start helping. SC is the model here, they've added over 1M in the past 20 years. Both Clemson and South Carolina benefitted. While South Carolina isn't an elite, they have the bones to possibly build.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Exactly. I've never understood the approach, "If we can't be Alabama or Georgia, what's the point?"

Our goal should be to be at the top of this tier: South Carolina, Ole Miss, Missouri, Mississippi State, Kentucky, and Arkansas.

If we committed to NIL, we could absolutely achieve that. If we don't, we could absolutely be at the bottom of this group. That is a massive on-field difference. The top of this tier will compete for occasional 12-team CFP* berths. The bottom of this tier will struggle to win more than one SEC game.

*-The expansion to 12 teams has killed the "what's the point" argument. And when Ole Miss hosts a CFP game this year, it will be very evident.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009

That's part of what's funding future stadium/arena expansions & upgrades. Glad we're saving some.

• Haha

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
That's part of what's funding future stadium/arena expansions & upgrades. Glad we're saving some.
Well the future is now. The west side is due. Bleachers have been there since 1920s, the chairbacks and quarter deck are from 1985.

Reactions: Dawg84

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
One day, our fans will understand that under the current rules, NIL's can't be funded by the school regardless of whether that's TV revenue, surplus revenue, or whatever the source may be. The Bulldog Initiative can ONLY be funded by fans, boosters, corporate entities, etc. Sadly, under Cohen, there was not a good relationship between the AD and the BI. Cohen hated NIL, so he did nothing to get the big boosters on board - he was more interested in BC contributions.

Fortunately, that focus has shifted under Selmon. The "new" mindset appears to be that TV revenue, ticket sales, concessions, etc will fund the BC and athletic department so our boosters can primarily focus on BI and NIL. That's the way it HAS to be.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login