528,000 new jobs in today's report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
We can talk numbers and we can talk real life. Numbers can be "managed and manipulated". Real life **** hits hard. Unless you're loaded and/or make big money, chances are you've seen a lot of problems this year. The average American (that's about all I know outside of below average income-wise) is seeing a lot of problems. I'm just glad they passed this new inflation killing bill. The rich and corps get off free again while the IRS will be up the middle class ***.
We can all check back end of year and see where we stand.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I can only comment on what I’m seeing, despite whatever narrative the media decides to spew.

1. Cost of living is concerning, and food prices will continue to rise.
2. Supply chain for materials is still adequately 17ed, mainly because of personnel shortages.
3. My company has jobs open, but isn’t pushing to simply fill those spots with bodies because
a. Few are applying and
b. Those that are applying either lack needed qualifications or feel like their wants and needs won’t be met by employer.
4. Since filling open positions is a cluster, the workload of course gets spread out to current staff, increasing the stress and lowering the levels of loyalty and desire to be thorough.
5. Experienced and retirement eligible staff are leaving in greater numbers, since they feel their career trajectory, income, and COL are essentially all in reverse. I don’t blame them.
6. All I hear is how completely 17ing sorry, ******, lazy, entitled, arrogant, and unprofessional this new applying work force is. Everywhere. I deal mostly with construction companies, engineering firms, and government agencies. For restaurants, I almost exclusively frequent local establishments, and they all bemoan the work ethic of the few employees they can even get to show up. The few new employees that are exceptions to that stigma can just about hand pick their place and name their price.

I see nothing but trouble coming, and no meaningful solutions. Don’t get me started on how our stellar government subsidizes our own demise. Generation quit is real, and it’s not a specific age group. It’s a mentality that’s growing faster than an already strained workforce can replace them.

For years these employment numbers have meant exactly Jack ****, and even more so now. I don’t know where 528k new jobs are, but I will say this:
Good luck keeping those jobs viable long term when you can’t keep the building maintained or the plumbing and HVAC working. When a mass exodus of people from healthcare, construction, and trades & service industries are weighing their costs, quitting, and can’t be replaced fast enough with competent, trained people, this is all going to go splat, and hard.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I'll leave this here. I ship all over the US daily from my company. I spoke to my FedEx rep back in late April. Asked him how their shipments are doing month to month. He said record year and sky's the limit.

I asked this due to what my bankers told me years ago. They said if you want to know how the economy is doing, just ask freight companies. They slow-we slow. So he was all ***** and giggles, until he revisited my office two days back. Month over month-FedEx down 10% on nationwide shipping June to July. Said they are scrambling and concerned. Also, we normally get one to two calls weekly from a cold calling freight broker. On Monday, we had 15. These calls were from companies all over the US looking for freight to haul. I hope you're seeing the picture. We're so close to the cliff as a nation and doesn't appear that we're not afraid of heights. But that Schumer Bill will fix all of this ****!!!

I exited the logistics world back in January after nearly 18 years of that **** and I dont miss it at all. What a cluster 17 of an industry. Its a constant roller coaster.
if FedEx is somehow short on freight, they can quickly adjust pricing and capture a 17 ton of it since the LTL market as a whole is still maxed out.

As for your comment I bolded, I think you are saying we are afraid of heights. Its like 'de-thaw'.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I can only comment on what I’m seeing, despite whatever narrative the media decides to spew.

1. Cost of living is concerning, and food prices will continue to rise.
2. Supply chain for materials is still adequately 17ed, mainly because of personnel shortages.
3. My company has jobs open, but isn’t pushing to simply fill those spots with bodies because
a. Few are applying and
b. Those that are applying either lack needed qualifications or feel like their wants and needs won’t be met by employer.
4. Since filling open positions is a cluster, the workload of course gets spread out to current staff, increasing the stress and lowering the levels of loyalty and desire to be thorough.
5. Experienced and retirement eligible staff are leaving in greater numbers, since they feel their career trajectory, income, and COL are essentially all in reverse. I don’t blame them.
6. All I hear is how completely 17ing sorry, ******, lazy, entitled, arrogant, and unprofessional this new applying work force is. Everywhere. I deal mostly with construction companies, engineering firms, and government agencies. For restaurants, I almost exclusively frequent local establishments, and they all bemoan the work ethic of the few employees they can even get to show up. The few new employees that are exceptions to that stigma can just about hand pick their place and name their price.

I see nothing but trouble coming, and no meaningful solutions. Don’t get me started on how our stellar government subsidizes our own demise. Generation quit is real, and it’s not a specific age group. It’s a mentality that’s growing faster than an already strained workforce can replace them.

For years these employment numbers have meant exactly Jack ****, and even more so now. I don’t know where 528k new jobs are, but I will say this:
Good luck keeping those jobs viable long term when you can’t keep the building maintained or the plumbing and HVAC working. When a mass exodus of people from healthcare, construction, and trades & service industries are weighing their costs, quitting, and can’t be replaced fast enough with competent, trained people, this is all going to go splat, and hard.

Rack 'em.

BigDog72.sixpack

Nov 5, 2012
I exited the logistics world back in January after nearly 18 years of that **** and I dont miss it at all. What a cluster 17 of an industry. Its a constant roller coaster.
if FedEx is somehow short on freight, they can quickly adjust pricing and capture a 17 ton of it since the LTL market as a whole is still maxed out.

As for your comment I bolded, I think you are saying we are afraid of heights. Its like 'de-thaw'.

Freight companies since covid have been basically like carpetbaggers. They've made a killing in charging new "extras" for delivery. We had a shipment that went UPS ground to Crossville, AL from B-ham. It was heavy, but under their guidelines and we new it would be higher than a local ground charge of say $75.00 to get 100 lbs to our customer. We got the bill and it was $1,600.00 and it was all based on their snazzy gazillion dollar computer generated estimating system at one of their billion dollar freight facilities. This was an hour and half from my shop and could put it in my trunk and go visit my customer had I known. We fought them for two months before they finally gave us a "courtesy discount" to $500.00. Same with calendar mailouts to customer at Christmas. Tube shipped ground used to be 5 to 10 dollars. Last Christmas, averaged $35.00 to $50. So 300 calendars to customers ran a whopping $15K versus about $2,500. These are real numbers and needless to say, we're not shipping calendars this year.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Germanys manufacturing sector is about to get obliterated by the high cost of electricity.

BigDog72.sixpack

Nov 5, 2012
Gas prices have fallen for 49 consecutive days.
Crude fell to a price seen only before Russia invaded Ukraine.
Average gas price is $.92 lower than mid-June.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing...9-next-week?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO&yptr=yahoo

Just some related news. If you blamed Biden for gas prices shooting up, praise him for gas prices dropping. If you dont want to praise him for something he didnt do, dont blame him for something he didnt do.
This is pretty simple, but I doubt it will be received well here.

You do realize that Lord Brandon emptied pretty much all of our strategic reserves. Sure hope China doesn't get into the real estate market called Taiwan. Should make your theory go away.
We're still well above the level when he took office and again, should our foreign "suppliers" have an issue, we'll be at 6.00 or higher rather quickly.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

https://www.thestreet.com/investing...9-next-week?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO&yptr=yahoo

Just some related news. If you blamed Biden for gas prices shooting up, praise him for gas prices dropping. If you dont want to praise him for something he didnt do, dont blame him for something he didnt do.

"I know....let's raise gas prices by $3, then lower them by $1. All these dumbasses will think things are getting better."

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
"I know....let's raise gas prices by $3, then lower them by $1. All these dumbasses will think things are getting better."

Nevermind demand fell because of the riduculous prices. That had absolutely nothing to do with gas prices falling. **
People simply can't afford to freaking drive much anymore.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

Yep the old piss on your back and tell you it's rain trick.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Does the requirement to look for a job to get unemployment still exist? Seems like if someone wants a job there is one for them right now. Even with a recession looming (or in one maybe) still lots of “now hiring” signs hanging up.

That's just a box checking exercise everywhere as far as I know. We have people apply all the time that don't want the job. The states we're in you can't just get on unemployment. THey will deny it for workers that quite or were basically trying to get fired, but once you get on it, there's nothing to stop you from collecting until it runs out, even if you could get a job day one. Judging from our online applications, I am guessing they will accept any confirmation of "application" to satisfy the requirement to look for a job.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I am with you. I live in a high tourist area that attracts a lot of middle class families in the south. Prior to the summer all I heard was gas prices were going to stop people from traveling. That has not been the case. This summer was packed. Restaurants, bars, hotels, and rentals. That being said, Saturday we went to the Waterpark in Gulf Shores, it was packed. But mostly Alabama, Florida tags in the parking lot which you’d expect on moving day. Sunday we went to lunch at The Gulf and it is normally packed. It wasn’t. The traffic was really light too for a Sunday in LA. I realize school is back in for a lot of people, but last year everything stayed busy until late October. I think things are slowing down and if it’s gradual, that’s a good thing.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

You realize that it's entirely possible for prices to be higher than they otherwise would be on teh way up, and higher than theyy otherwise would be on the way down, because of Biden. Worse, Biden is ensuring higher prices in the future by discouraging production.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Its incredibly silly to think “you won’t hear about it until after the midterms” while referencing information clearly being discussed today.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
Is the economy slowing down where some of you live? Outside of the housing market chilling out, which it does after June every year anyway, it's full tilt in my part of the world.

Went to the grocery store yesterday and I have never seen it so crowded and packed. The shelves were picked clean. It was as of locusts came through. Did a rafting trip for 3 days over the weekend and the guides commented it was thier busiest year ever. Rented a boat last Thursday and the lake was absolutely packed and rentals are all booked out for the rest of summer.

Had family in town and couldn't get into any restaurants. The only dinner we had all week that could handle a group of 8 was at 4:45 at the golf course, outside in 95° heat. Drove by a few car dealerships Wednesday in Boise and there is still nothing new or used on the lots and the airport was so busy the economy lot was full.

I was in Kalispell MT a few weeks ago and the whole Target looked like the toilet paper aisle after Covid. Nothing on the shelves and it looked like someone kicked over a bed of fire ants with all of the people running around.

It's honestly gangbusters here. Extremely busier than last summer. I figured that the drop in GDP was more to do with wholesale and business inventory being over supplied and not buying to replenish in Q2. Because the consumer is definitely going ape **** still around me.

Are there parts of the country/economy where that is not happening? Are any of you seeing empty restaurants tables or things going on sale because of excessive inventory? Not trying to argue, just seeing if maybe there's a regionality to economic destruction. Maybe it's happening in places I don't see or frequent.

I honestly want a decent size recession here. Service in every facet of of the economy is dog ****. People need to lose jobs and not get the govt tit to better appreciate gainful employment. I don't want 2008, but we need to establish that there is not a Fed/Govt backstop and people need to perform well at work to make decent living or we will never fix this mess.

Ocean freight shipment has significantly affected the business that I own. In late June, we had a 40' container that was supposed to go to the UK get delayed in mid-August. We couldn't find any replacement in July.

In June, we had an Australian customer who wanted to order a 20' container of goods, but declined after seeing how high the shipping costs were. My other Australian customer placed an order this week. When I shared with him the shipping rates, he said he'd get back to me to see if his guy could find anything better. There's a decent chance he cancels too.

My US based business has slowed a little, but not a ton. We were on pace to have a record year in 2022, but these last 4-6 weeks have probably derailed that.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Im guessing CNBC is wrong. The first paragraph of today’s BLS report says: “Both total non farm employment and unemployment have returned to their February 2020 hours pre-pandemic levels”.

Could literally be a rounding issue..?

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, ok, let's say we've reached Feb 2020 levels. At the same time, there are other significant headwinds impacting the economy, such as record inflation and a current recession. Knowing that we are only just getting back to pre-pandemic levels, but job numbers are always a lagging indicator when the economy enters a recession, is this really growth?

Seems to me to be a whole bunch of turd polishing going on.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
You realize that it's entirely possible for prices to be higher than they otherwise would be on teh way up, and higher than theyy otherwise would be on the way down, because of Biden. Worse, Biden is ensuring higher prices in the future by discouraging production.

You realize production is up, right?

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Giving you the benefit of the doubt, ok, let's say we've reached Feb 2020 levels. At the same time, there are other significant headwinds impacting the economy, such as record inflation and a current recession. Knowing that we are only just getting back to pre-pandemic levels, but job numbers are always a lagging indicator when the economy enters a recession, is this really growth?

Seems to me to be a whole bunch of turd polishing going on.

Govt employment is way down from pre-rona, private is making that up and then some. You'd think cons would be happy about that.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login