58 years ago today

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
I was in Snyder on the side closest to the stadium, so I could see the stadium being jacked up during renovation. Only experienced Spring in Happy valley once, as I was at a Commonwealth Campus (the Land of Oz) my first two years and then on a Study Abroad in Cologne my senior year.
The track was removed, seats added, and pressbox raised between the ‘77 and’78 seasons… ‘78 Blue White Game was at Hershey Park Stadium.

uh-Clem

Jul 31, 2022
Coat and tie was still the proper dress to attend football games in September 1968, but all that changed the next year when bell bottoms and tie dye shirts became fashionable.

olelion

Oct 31, 2021
For the youngins, they weren't quarters, but instead they were trimesters, or "terms", which were semester class hours in 10 weeks. Full-time was 9 credits and tuition paid for up to 13 credits. Taking 12 or more credits a term was considered a lot. They had 4 terms a year but a typical full-time student attended Fall, Winter, and Spring and took summer off. The best thing about trimesters was that we were in Happy Valley during May with graduation the first week of June. The campus and the weather are beautiful during May and I believe that's a big part of the older generation falling in love with the University. With graduation now the first week of May very few get to experience Spring in State College."....4 terms per year" is quarters, right?
Great post, Olelion. Here are a few additional thoughts about that 1966 season:

1. Michigan State was a powerhouse those 1965-66 seasons, playing that "infamous" 10-10 tie with Notre Dame. Big Ten rules prevented a return trip to Rose Bowl and ND got the final #1 vote.

2. UCLA, led by QB Gary Beban, beat MSU in the Rose Bowl the previous year and was ranked in the top 5 when PSU played them in '66.

3. The 3rd opponent to be ranked in the top 5 was Ga Tech, who was undefeated when the Lions played them in November.

4. Mike Reid opened the season with 3 safeties against Martyland that year. He started at MG and was expected to move to LB for 67 but a knee injury as a wrestler ended that idea.

5. Reid missed all of the 1967 season, though he did play the entire '66 season.

6. QB Tom Sherman actually opened the season at DB and intercepted a couple of passes before replacing Jack White at QB mid-year. Sherman was also the PK that season.

7. Frank "I'm not playing because he's Italian; I'm playing him because I'm Italian" Spaziani played some QB that year before moving to DE i
It was a quarterback merry go round in 1966. There was also Wally Cirafesi

olelion

Oct 31, 2021
Physics II, Electricity and Magnetism, usually took out most on the fringe Freshman year. Sophomore year the two killers were EMch 12 Dynamics (as you stated), and what was originally Engr 100, Dynamic Systems Analysis, which had it's course number changed to IE 330 around 1980. Those two classes alone took out over 40% of the class as Sophomores. Freshmen engineering students were jokingly called Pre-Business back then. During Freshman engineering orientation, the speaker told everyone to look left, right, forward, and behind and then simply stated "only one of you will graduate as an engineer".
Physics II...........The frigging resistance across the wheatstone bridge

Reactions: PSU87
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login