6 SEC Teams in CWS: none named State, LSU, Vandy or Florida,

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
teams we might expect to see (well, LSU isn't the baseball power it once was). Tennessee is making a push to be an SEC baseball power but screw them. I'm prematurely giving OU and Texas some SEC cred. That's dominance. That's gonna gonna be a challenge for State going forward.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I don't think the challenge is going to be harder. All the SEC teams can beat you every year.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
This is the second time that I know of that 4 teams from the SEC West make up half the world series.

God help us if they put UT & OU in the west, where they belong geographically. Tough neighborhood.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
I disagree with the "any given Sunday" comment. OU and Texas are good programs. Texas is elite. That's not the same as adding La Tech and Memphis into the mix. Both schools have tons of money and NILs matter now, likely moreso than having the biggest stadium. Norman and Austin are cool places. We have to outrecruit Ole Miss, Southern Miss, LSU and Arkansas for Mississippi recruits. We don't always do that. Recruiting Texas and elsewhere in the country just got harder. Lemonis is a good coach. We're gonna find out how good he really is over the next three years. Other schools are paying baseball coaches well and upgrading facilities.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I disagree with the "any given Sunday" comment. OU and Texas are good programs. Texas is elite. That's not the same as adding La Tech and Memphis into the mix. Both schools have tons of money and NILs matter now, likely moreso than having the biggest stadium. Norman and Austin are cool places. We have to outrecruit Ole Miss, Southern Miss, LSU and Arkansas for Mississippi recruits. We don't always do that. Recruiting Texas and elsewhere in the country just got harder. Lemonis is a good coach. We're gonna find out how good he really is over the next three years. Other schools are paying baseball coaches well and upgrading facilities.

Recruiting Texas didn’t get any harder. We aren’t going to be taking hardly any Texas kids away from UT or A&M as it is….regardless of whether Texas is in the Big 12 or the SEC.

Right now the SEC is Kentucky, Mizzou, and 12 other teams that can all win a national title any given year. In a year or two, it will be Kentucky, Mizzou, and 14 other teams that can all win a national title any given year. Nothing is really changing.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Its just that all the good teams are in one conference. Florida is ticking down and S carolina has disappeared. And of the 4 teams that made it 2 of them were a 2 and a 3 seed. So its not like everyone is Vanderbilt. Lets get our house in order and we will be fine.

If they do 35 man roster with 27 full rides that can Really change things and probably won’t help us bc then it becomes strictly an NIL game.

Give to the Bulldog Initiative.

Last edited by a moderator:

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
OU will recruit TX and so will LSU. We get TX players once in a while. I agree that theoretically most SEC can win it all. But, there's a reason Vegas makes money and it's not because odds are that anyone can win a national title in any given year. Adding OU and Texas is for money and status and I think it matters. The experiment is gonna happen. I don't think we'll be bottom feeders nor do I think adding them changings doesn't matter. CWS champions over the past few decades are big schools with traditional winning programs and large university endowments and only a couple of outliers have won. That seems to be the pattern.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
OU will recruit TX and so will LSU. We get TX players once in a while. I agree that theoretically most SEC can win it all. But, there's a reason Vegas makes money and it's not because odds are that anyone can win a national title in any given year. Adding OU and Texas is for money and status and I think it matters. The experiment is gonna happen. I don't think we'll be bottom feeders nor do I think adding them changings doesn't matter. CWS champions over the past few decades are big schools with traditional winning programs and large university endowments and only a couple of outliers have won. That seems to be the pattern.

OU and LSU already recruit Texas with a very high degree of success. Again, nothing is changing there. NIL is a much bigger deal than TX and OU joining the SEC, because now both UT and A&M have essentially 40 scholarships instead of 11.7. But even the 81st and 82nd best players in Texas would be Top 10 players in MS or Top 20 in Louisiana or Alabama…..so there will still be a lot of elite players available.

The league is tough as hell with 14 teams and will be tough as hell with 16 teams. You’re splitting hairs to say that anything is really changing for any programs not named Kentucky or Missouri.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Already tough league will be tougher. Other SEC schools, not just TN, are pumping money into baseball. I'm predicting that it will get tougher and not just stay the same. I think that's a safe, reasonable prediction.

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
In baseball, the level of parity among sec teams is the most significant development in recent years. This year’s CWS lineup puts an exclamation mark on parity. Makes for great completion. This will be underscored further when Texas and OU join. But I don’t believe it makes things any harder for State than it does for anyone else including Texas, Tennessee, Vandy, State etc. All solid programs. And all will have difficulty during the SEC schedule. And as always, the timing of when a team gets hot will matter more than anything else in terms of ultimate success.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
OU and Texas joining definitely makes it harder for us to win SEC Championships. It’s 2 more good baseball teams, one of them that’s elite as it gets in baseball. But I don’t think it has any real impact on our chances of getting to Omaha and/or winning National Championships, which is most of what a program of our stature cares about.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
With NIL money could it convince 1st or 2nd rounders to pick college over Minors for at least 2 years? Could strengthen college baseball?

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
OU and Texas joining definitely makes it harder for us to win SEC Championships. It’s 2 more good baseball teams, one of them that’s elite as it gets in baseball. But I don’t think it has any real impact on our chances of getting to Omaha and/or winning National Championships, which is most of what a program of our stature cares about.

This is correct. You could add Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, and ND to the SEC too. It still wouldn’t change the overall picture for us in terms of Omaha or the national championship. You can only play so many conference games, no matter how many good teams there are in said conference.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Pretty soon the only leagues tougher than the SEC will be the American & National.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think football got easier. We're going to drop Alabama, LSU and either Texas A&M or Auburn as permanent opponents and we're going to play Vandy, Missouri and South Carolina more often. That's a win for us.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Bottom line is more games vs bottom-half SEC teams and fewer against top-half teams. We won't play TX and OK often enough to offset the times we'll avoid Bama, LSU and either A&M or Auburn.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I laughed when I saw this tweet...

[FONT="]Absolutely phenomenal weekend for the current and future SEC, who went 6-1 at the NCAA Baseball Super Regionals as underdogs in 5 of them. pic.twitter.com/xE0c4elZRf— RedditCFB (@RedditCFB) June 14, 2022 [/FONT]

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Its just that all the good teams are in one conference. Florida is ticking down and S carolina has disappeared. And of the 4 teams that made it 2 of them were a 2 and a 3 seed. So its not like everyone is Vanderbilt. Lets get our house in order and we will be fine.

If they do 35 man roster with 27 full rides that can Really change things and probably won’t help us bc then it becomes strictly an NIL game.

Give to the Bulldog Initiative.
NIL isn't going to be this huge factor in baseball, outside of a few players.

And if we're able to give 27 scholarships, I don't think there's any question that it will help us tremendously. It will help Alabama and Auburn and Ole Miss too, so we're going to have to figure out another strategy rather than raiding the Alabama All-Star team every year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
No final decision. But there's no scenario being considered that calls for more than 3 permanent opponents. Bama's locked up with Auburn, Tennessee and LSU. LSU pretty much locked up with Bama, Mississippi and probably A&M. A&M probably locked up with Texas, LSU and Arkansas (although they might get us instead of Arkansas). Auburn gets Bama and Georgia and I suspect us. We get Mississippi, probably Kentucky and probably Auburn (possibly A&M instead of Auburn).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login