60 years ago do you think.....

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Any SEC school would have imagine having three SWC schools and Two Big 8 schools as members?

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Star Trek Tech. I think that was 66 or 67.
Star Trek Agree GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Our program was so bad in the late 60's / early 70's I could have easily imagined us not being in the SEC now.

Reactions: patdog

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Hey Goat, I think your mama's calling you for supper. It took more than just boomers to screw up the college sports world this bad. It's all about the money. "Show me the money" is more than just a catch phrase is today's mantra.

DWarren

Oct 17, 2023
One factor was OM’s influence on the state at that time. It wasn’t quite as lopsided as UGA/GA Tech or TN/Vandy is today but it was close. Hard to imagine but between the years of 1955-1970 they essentially had the same level of hype they are currently getting for ‘24, every single year. 90% of the sidewalk fans within the state claimed OM. Similar to Bama fans in Meridian or LSU fans on the coast. Thankfully we don’t face that today, we almost certainly outnumber them within a large portion of the state. We’ve come a long way in that regard.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
One factor was OM’s influence on the state at that time. It wasn’t quite as lopsided as UGA/GA Tech or TN/Vandy is today but it was close. Hard to imagine but between the years of 1955-1970 they essentially had the same level of hype they are currently getting for ‘24, every single year. 90% of the sidewalk fans within the state claimed OM. Similar to Bama fans in Meridian or LSU fans on the coast. Thankfully we don’t face that today, we almost certainly outnumber them within a large portion of the state. We’ve come a long way in that regard.
I know I sound like a broken record on this but Bob Tyler understood this and knew how to fight it....and did. Had we not hired him when we did our future was very uncertain IMO. He changed the attitude of everyone associated with State.....from top to bottom

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
Georgia Tech, thought the SEC was holding them back at the time.
Little did they know.
And They were on a roll of sorts.

Bobby Dodd.

He took an odd moral stance about scholarship limits & when the conference unanimously voted against him, he took his ball and went home. Terrible decision.

He also refused to play us or Ole Miss and bashed the state, saying” Whatever is there a reason to go to Mississippi for…we like to take our fans to exciting places and Mississippi isn’t one.”

17 him. GT got what they deserved for following Dodd.

Oct 7, 2022
I know I sound like a broken record on this but Bob Tyler understood this and knew how to fight it....and did. Had we not hired him when we did our future was very uncertain IMO. He changed the attitude of everyone associated with State.....from top to bottom
I can back this up in spades. Molly Halbert. Wesley Reed.

These were the names you knew.

There were MANY names behind the scenes you don’t know that saved us from oblivion. My dad was one of many.

Now days they don’t even cross anybody’s radar.

I remember as a 3-4 year child my father flying me on a private plane from the delta to Starkville in 1974. Watching the first prescription athletic turf being installed anywhere outside the NFL.

Reactions: thatsbaseball