7th largest crowd in DNF history yesterday

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
14,320 to be exact. It’s pretty interesting we could barely get 8k into the Hump at 2:30 for the biggest MBB home game in years.
I don't know how many were students. From the broadcast, it looked like there were a lot of college kids in attendance, especially in the standing area. The students are not going to change their attendance at our basketball games until they change the seating, and that's not gonna happen because of the way things are set up now

Aug 22, 2012
Spoke to several people at the game whose family members didn't attend the basketball game because they were sitting at baseball 3 hours before the game started.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The amount of fan support we have for a sport that 90% of the country doesn’t care about is incredible. With that kind of support and facilities we should have about 5 Natty’s. But we’ve been a middling SEC program for the most part for 25 years. One SEC championship and thank God, one CWS title finally to match Coastal Carolina in that department.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
The amount of fan support we have for a sport that 90% of the country doesn’t care about is incredible. With that kind of support and facilities we should have about 5 Natty’s. But we’ve been a middling SEC program for the most part for 25 years. One SEC championship and thank God, one CWS title finally to match Coastal Carolina in that department.
Nope. This is definitely the problem.

We have entitled fans. A truly top tier player won't mess with coming here because during the game, if the player hits a single instead of a double, or a double instead of a triple, there's an instant backlash demanding that player get benched or booted from the team and the entire coaching staff fired for allowing that player on the team.

Aug 22, 2012
1. Re-seat The Hump giving students better seats.
2. Increase Baseball Ticket and Outfield Terrace prices 50% .
Problem Solved
The students have showed up this year. That reseating excuse is tired.

I can't imagine the amount of b*itching if they raised baseball ticket prices, but they probably should since demand is obviously high and it's a non money generating sport.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
And that’s dumb. But let’s care about a niche sport more.
What about people who don’t like basketball? There are many people (myself included) who just don’t like basketball. You really can’t demand that people attend a sporting event for a sport they just don’t like. Why can’t you understand people just not liking the game of basketball? I just never have been interested in it at all.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Our basketball attendance was better this year than it's been in a while, but we are still climbing out of the perception hole that was dug by the Rick Ray era when our fans totally stopped caring and the John Cohen/Ben Howland era when men’s basketball was treated like the red headed step child on campus. We had a Top 20-25 team in 2019 and nobody cared in the least because yay women’s basketball and yay baseball. Our marketing/public relations for men’s basketball was ATROCIOUS for years, that falls on both Cohen and Howland as well as some other internal staff.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I find it interesting that so many are blaming… *checks notes* Mississippi State baseball fans for the lack of basketball attendance. Basketball has done great this year, but I would think it’ll take more than a year to rebuild the fan base. And as far as the “niche sport” comments… wow. You all do realize that State is basically the godfather of SEC (and by extension, all of college) baseball, right? This is a tradition that goes back a half century.

Besides that, there are some fans that really love baseball that don’t care as much about basketball. For people my age and older (I’m in my 30s), we remember a time when baseball was THE most popular sport in the nation. Can basketball make that claim? Now obviously times have changed and basketball is #2, but it wasn’t so long ago that our heroes all wore cleats and caps. It’s not illogical that many fans should support both sports. It’s also not illogical that some just like being at the ballpark more.

Aug 22, 2012
I like baseball fine, but acting like it was the nations most popular sport and MSU being the most dominant program in the most dominant conference is just not true.

The SEC has won 13 national titles in baseball with the Godfather of SEC baseball having only 1.

The first SEC national championship didn't come until 1990.

College baseball generates less than half the revenue of college hockey, and just a little more than track and field. So calling it a niche sport is pretty justified.

1677440019225.png

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I enjoy both sports but if I could only pick one to attend it would be baseball every time. Nothing against basketball but I just enjoy baseball more.

Reactions: onewoof

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I find it interesting that so many are blaming… *checks notes* Mississippi State baseball fans for the lack of basketball attendance. Basketball has done great this year, but I would think it’ll take more than a year to rebuild the fan base. And as far as the “niche sport” comments… wow. You all do realize that State is basically the godfather of SEC (and by extension, all of college) baseball, right? This is a tradition that goes back a half century.

Besides that, there are some fans that really love baseball that don’t care as much about basketball. For people my age and older (I’m in my 30s), we remember a time when baseball was THE most popular sport in the nation. Can basketball make that claim? Now obviously times have changed and basketball is #2, but it wasn’t so long ago that our heroes all wore cleats and caps. It’s not illogical that many fans should support both sports. It’s also not illogical that some just like being at the ballpark more.
I love MSU baseball, but college baseball is very much a niche sport. If State or USM makes the NCAA Tournament in basketball, it will be watched by SIGNIFICANTLY more people than the number that would watch them play in the College World Series this summer. State’s pride and joy that was the 2021 national championship was watched by not even a million people nationwide.

We have it in the incorrect order in Mississippi, others may disagree with me and that’s fine. But prioritizing baseball over men’s basketball merely gives a pat on the back to your longtime baseball fans and doesn’t do anything to further your national brand.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
14,320 to be exact. It’s pretty interesting we could barely get 8k into the Hump at 2:30 for the biggest MBB home game in years.
Tells me that the interest level in who will be leading the program next year will be high.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
I like baseball fine, but acting like it was the nations most popular sport and MSU being the most dominant program in the most dominant conference is just not true.

The SEC has won 13 national titles in baseball with the Godfather of SEC baseball having only 1.

The first SEC national championship didn't come until 1990.

College baseball generates less than half the revenue of college hockey, and just a little more than track and field. So calling it a niche sport is pretty justified.

View attachment 313497
Cool chart, man. But what is the average revenue generated by sport at SEC schools? I could care less what money is generated by the baseball programs at Boston College, Utah State, Wyoming, and Oregon State. What is going on with teams we are competing with? Baseball definitely is a revenue generating sport in the SEC.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Cool chart, man. But what is the average revenue generated by sport at SEC schools? I could care less what money is generated by the baseball programs at Boston College, Utah State, Wyoming, and Oregon State. What is going on with teams we are competing with? Baseball definitely is a revenue generating sport in the SEC.
Baseball loses money every year for MSU. If I recall correctly, it lost $2MM in 2022. The only revenue generating sports are football and men’s basketball

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13
Aug 22, 2012
I can assure you that Michigan, Boston College, Minnesota don't care about that lucrative SEC ice hockey money either, but the sport as a whole doubles college baseball revenue.

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
Last year withstanding, 2013-2021 was probably the best decade in MSU baseball history. 1 SEC championship, 4 CWS trips, 2 CWS finals, 1 CWS Championship

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
SEC West

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I’ll never understand the amount of energy some people expend worrying about the innocent things that bring others enjoyment. MSU fans like baseball. Call it a niche sport all you want. You people yelling at the clouds have a lot of spare time and energy.
This isn’t an either/or thing for me. The fan support for baseball is great. I just think Jans and the work he’s done this year deserves more support. MSU basketball from 1990-2012 was a lot of fun with a rowdy Humphrey coliseum. The last decade was rough, but we finally got the right coach in here who is a winner. Time for the fans to show up again.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Baseball loses money every year for MSU. If I recall correctly, it lost $2MM in 2022. The only revenue generating sports are football and men’s basketball
I’m throwing the ******** flag on this. Prove it. No way we lose money on a ”niche sport” yet are in the top five nationally in attendance and still sell SRO seats. Show your work.

Reactions: 11thEagleFan

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
I think it’s hilarious it makes people mad I don’t watch or attend basketball games, but will go to 90% of all baseball games played. Tuesday or Sunday or whatever.

Think how crazy hilarious that is.

I played it. I happen to like it. We are a good program. Y’all mad about that. Ha.

There’s probably people out there that prefer to watch track and field more than football. You better go get them. This is great.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
We've been a Baseball Blue Blood since forever for other reasons than Natty Totals. Just accept the fact that Diamond Dogs & Dudy Noble > The Hump. At least for now. The HUMP will be rockin' VS SCe. We're getting hoops on track for now and we need that to continue.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login