7th largest crowd in DNF history yesterday

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
I just don’t understand how there were AT LEAST 6k at the baseball game who didn’t go to the basketball game.
When you factor in folks getting to baseball early to get a spot in GA and the lounge folks who come to grill and hang out all afternoon I can see it

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I just think it’s silly that we basically built a AAA minor league stadium for a non revenue sport while we are “updating” the Hump to bring it up to 1997 standards. It would be like us deciding to build a 10,000 seat women’s soccer stadium. Priorities seem backwards on that.

Reactions: FQDawg

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
We've been a Baseball Blue Blood since forever for other reasons than Natty Totals. Just accept the fact that Diamond Dogs & Dudy Noble > The Hump. At least for now. The HUMP will be rockin' VS SCe. We're getting hoops on track for now and we need that to continue.
This thread has gone way off course. I’m not sure why we’re pitting baseball vs basketball now. I don’t have any issue with baseball having top tier attendance (as no one should). My issue is why can’t we sellout or get 10k for this basketball team when they’re currently in the NCAAT and the game is literally 2 & half hours before the baseball game.

The board has been bitching for 10 years about basketball, well it’s time to stop because we have one hell of a coach. Let’s support them.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This thread has gone way off course. I’m not sure why we’re pitting baseball vs basketball now. I don’t have any issue with baseball having top tier attendance (as no one should). My issue is why can’t we sellout or get 10k for this basketball team when they’re currently in the NCAAT and the game is literally 2 & half hours before the baseball game.

The board has been bitching for 10 years about basketball, well it’s time to stop because we have one hell of a coach. Let’s support them.
We did show up yesterday, and the last few games.

The students didnt. That was the difference. If you actually went, you know this. If you didn’t, you probably b1tched about something you don’t know, on the internet.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Nope. This is definitely the problem.

We have entitled fans. A truly top tier player won't mess with coming here because during the game, if the player hits a single instead of a double, or a double instead of a triple, there's an instant backlash demanding that player get benched or booted from the team and the entire coaching staff fired for allowing that player on the team.

We also have fans (in general not you) who are evidently "mad" because the school's management allowed one of their Big 3 sports to drop In importance just to get rid of a coach and screwed up program. They destroy a decent basketball program by reseatting our basketball stadium to hopefully make $$$ from the $$$ crowd we had built up at that time, while shoving our students up to the rafters. We endure ****** coaching for too many years... reaching the point where students and fans didn't care anymore.

Now we are being scolded at as a fan base for not showing up quickly enough for the ****** seats and ****** student section that we left. We instead show for up for our baseball program who during this time have had great seasons, actually went to Omaha a few times, once we even win it all, and now get to watch us play in the best stadium in college baseball that doesn't have a bad seat.

Yeah

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
I think it’s hilarious it makes people mad I don’t watch or attend basketball games, but will go to 90% of all baseball games played. Tuesday or Sunday or whatever.

Think how crazy hilarious that is.

I played it. I happen to like it. We are a good program. Y’all mad about that. Ha.

There’s probably people out there that prefer to watch track and field more than football. You better go get them. This is great.
No one is mad it’s just kinda weird you’re flexing about it

Reactions: FQDawg

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I like baseball fine, but acting like it was the nations most popular sport and MSU being the most dominant program in the most dominant conference is just not true.

The SEC has won 13 national titles in baseball with the Godfather of SEC baseball having only 1.

The first SEC national championship didn't come until 1990.

College baseball generates less than half the revenue of college hockey, and just a little more than track and field. So calling it a niche sport is pretty justified.

View attachment 313497
Average doesn't mean much when most college baseball programs have less than a couple thousand per game. Look at Vandy.....fan there told me they have about 500 per weekday game and about 2,000/2,500 per game for a SEC weekend series. He was blown away by the crowds we get. Then look at the CWS Championship vs. Vandy. Omaha stadium seats about 28,000 and MSU had over 20,000 for all 3 games up there. Corbin said it was equivalent to playing at a MSU home series.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Maybe more people in general like watching baseball more than basketball. I know I do and it's not even close.
Baseball is my #1 sport by far too and this past Saturday you could tell early it was gonna be a huge crowd. The student section in right field was crammed in like sardines, and when we came out of the basketball game there were hundreds if not thousands of fans carrying coolers and chairs to DNF and strolling right by the HUMP like it wasn"t even there.

Last edited:

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I’m not b1tching about people liking baseball over basketball. The average baseball game last 3+ hours, a large percentage of attendees bring their own coolers-food-etc. So there is limited opportunity to make $$$ on concessions. MSU needs to charge a lot more for tickets - Lounge etc because of the amount of $$$$$$ invested in baseball.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Nope. This is definitely the problem.

We have entitled fans. A truly top tier player won't mess with coming here because during the game, if the player hits a single instead of a double, or a double instead of a triple, there's an instant backlash demanding that player get benched or booted from the team and the entire coaching staff fired for allowing that player on the team.
Show us just ONE instance of an "instant backlash" asking for a player to get benched for a hit, just ONE.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
14,320 to be exact. It’s pretty interesting we could barely get 8k into the Hump at 2:30 for the biggest MBB home game in years.
Also, that number is tickets sold, not tickets used.
There was not 14,320 in attendance yesterday. Maybe 9500. Just go back and watch it on TV. If there were 14,320 people in there, then our stadium holds 25,000 because there were atleast thousands of empty chairbacks.

Either count actual attendance when it comes to records, or just throw all the attendance records in the trash.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
The fact that we had fans sitting in the baseball field 3 hours before the game, RIGHT NEXT to the HUMP where MSU basketball is fighting for NCAAs against a QUAD 1 team shows how messed up this situtation is. Pathetic.
I recall many times I was able to enjoy both basketball and baseball on the same day. Especially the weekend. Come on!

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The fact that we had fans sitting in the baseball field 3 hours before the game, RIGHT NEXT to the HUMP where MSU basketball is fighting for NCAAs against a QUAD 1 team shows how messed up this situtation is. Pathetic.
I recall many times I was able to enjoy both basketball and baseball on the same day. Especially the weekend. Come on!
My first instinct is to argue with you here. But since we know that we are talking about students here, and not alumni fans, I tend to agree. What else does a student really have to do on Saturday? I don't know why they didn't show up.

All that said.....the atmosphere in the Hump Saturday was great. It wasn't 2004 level, but it was very good.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
The hump has terrible seats available. Terrible. I swear, I would donate 10k dollars right now, if the bulldog club would allow me to buy courtside season tickets and I would go to every game representing like Brandon Walker. But Noooooo. They are all held by corporations that never use them.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The hump has terrible seats available. Terrible. I swear, I would donate 10k dollars right now, if the bulldog club would allow me to buy courtside season tickets and I would go to every game representing like Brandon Walker. But Noooooo. They are all held by corporations that never use them.
The "corporations" chuckle at your $10,000 donation. Think about it, that's not even a corporate car for them. And this Hump renovation that people have bitched about needing for years, who do you think is funding that? Its not Gramps and Grand from Eupora that had those court side tickets at one time for years.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
The "corporations" chuckle at your $10,000 donation. Think about it, that's not even a corporate car for them. And this Hump renovation that people have bitched about needing for years, who do you think is funding that? Its not Gramps and Grand from Eupora that had those court side tickets at one time for years.
So 20k donation. The point being, if you never let the younger fans buy quality seat, then you are doomed for a lifetime of at best 5k asses in the seats.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
We've created a student experience at our Athletic events that sucksAzz. It's obvious they don't want students there. And it helped kill our basketball program as much as Rick Ray and Howland.

And it will kill our Baseball program. To see that many EMPTY premium seats at DNF over the weekend looked really bad. If you paid for the good seats and can't go to the game, please make sure you get them to somebody who will show up.

And don't get started on faculty seats at FB games.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We've created a student experience at our Athletic events that sucksAzz. It's obvious they don't want students there. And it helped kill our basketball program as much as Rick Ray and Howland.

And it will kill our Baseball program. To see that many EMPTY premium seats at DNF over the weekend looked really bad. If you paid for the good seats and can't go to the game, please make sure you get them to somebody who will show up.

No it didn't. Because there weren't many of them, especially on Friday and Saturday. Ask how I know you weren't there? Hahaha.

On Sunday, there wasn't any event staff checking at all, you could sit wherever you wanted.

As far as students, they were EVERYWHERE. Having a good time in the right field lounge, and all over the concourse. I didn't see many unhappy people.

Ya'll are stupid with this argument.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014

This is spot on. Anyone who watches college basketball realizes that in most other arenas the bulk of the fans are students. Our games show empty seats the majority of the times outside the shots with the small student section in it. I remember a podcast interview b/w Joel Coleman and Cohen discussing the Hump renovations where Cohen stated he actually spoke to students and told them their time will come when they can pay for seats. He essentially told them their participation isn't relevant. That is a mark of an out of tune AD with the fanbase. Even when the women were drawing good crowds there were a couple rows in the lower section with just a few folks sitting in it. I understand taking donations from corporations but how hard would it be to say open those seats after 5-10 minutes into the game. The dude looks the same way on tv with you seeing nothing but empty seats behind home-plate game after game. It's a poor look for the university.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
I don’t know where this is coming from. People just want to be mad at us liking baseball. I don’t care what the rest of the country finds more interesting. Fact is there were 14,300+ at baseball. It was freaking packed. There weren’t that many empty chair backs on Saturday.

Guess what. People get up and go to concessions. Bathroom. They go visit friends in the outfield. I was there. It was crazy. Fun. Electric.

My group and a bunch of others were walking right by the hump and our only concern was getting past it before that crowd let out too.

I want them to win. Absolutely. Just like I want the tennis team to win and the soccer team. Just not my thing. It’s ok. No reason to try and downplay it. We just like it better. In fact if there weren’t but around 9,000 at basketball it seems we like it about 60% more.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login