8 to 12 team playoff!!!!

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
All the playoff expansions have been designed to control the SEC. Instead they have just made the SEC stronger. What are they going to do when it is an all SEC Final Four in the near future?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It will allow more teams to get in and ‘play’ for a natty. But it will make winning the natty more elusive than ever before.

Pick your poison.

Reactions: drumrcraig

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
The playoff makes it impossible for a have not to win. Now they have to bear multiple big boys to win it all. Used to be they only had to score one upset. Now they have to get 2. Soon it will be 3.

Reactions: drumrcraig

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
It makes it fair for the other 117 programs. Just because Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State buy all the 5 star players out there doesn’t mean other teams shouldn’t be rewarded.
This game is a blowout but at least I was interested it at the beginning of the game. Alabama lost two games and you know what Saban is doing the halftime show. If it were 16 they are in and if they are opposite UGA probably the opposing team.

Reactions: Dawg84

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
Portal ain’t the problem. Just sayin’, we have the portal and a Cinderella is in the title game. Before the portal, there was zero chance.
It's part of it with no real contract in place, imo. Limiting scholarships will do a lot more. Just have to find the sweet spot for it to work. The real problem is the wrong people are getting paid and the student athletes are getting **** on.

Reactions: CDawg08

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
The playoff makes it impossible for a have not to win. Now they have to bear multiple big boys to win it all. Used to be they only had to score one upset. Now they have to get 2. Soon it will be 3.
I don’t think anybody is under the illusion that a have not is going to win a natty. But it builds excitement. Wouldn’t Tulane beating USC and moving on to the next round have been a cool thing? Playing a game or 2 in the playoffs beats the hell out of being in the Mayonnaise Bowl against an opponent with 20 opt outs.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
I don’t think anybody is under the illusion that a have not is going to win a natty. But it builds excitement. Wouldn’t Tulane beating USC and moving on to the next round have been a cool thing? Playing a game or 2 in the playoffs beats the hell out of being in the Mayonnaise Bowl against an opponent with 20 opt outs.
Tulane and TCU don’t deserve a playoff. They get to play against a soft schedule. Meanwhile, we have to play the champion or runner up every year. There shouldn’t be a playoff if the schedule is going to be that imbalanced. The whole thing is just stupid.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's part of it with no real contract in place, imo. Limiting scholarships will do a lot more. Just have to find the sweet spot for it to work. The real problem is the wrong people are getting paid and the student athletes are getting **** on.
No question that reducing scholarships will help. Not to mention it will also help lower levels. People say the big boys will pay walk in’s but that’s easy to deal with. That will be the exception not the norm.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
This is a great example of why we need expansion. TCU would have been the 5-seed under the new format, not the 3-seed. They would have had to win 3 CFP games to reach the final. This would probably be Georgia vs Alabama right now under the new format.

ETA: The 4-team format aimed to get the 4 best teams, which it sometimes failed to do (this year).

Yes, the 12-team format will include teams with no chance of winning it all (i.e. Tulane), but these teams are less likely to be in the final. And the new format will almost always include the teams that have a legitimate chance to win it all (i.e. Alabama this year).

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
16 team, fix transfer portal and lower scholarships or get rid of scholarships. Everyone is an employee and pays taxes on their free college tuition payment. This is a mess.
In the world of NIL scholarship numbers no longer matter. Seriously not a thing anymore. Sure a team might not be able to put you on scholarship, but they can instead give you a check to cover your tuition.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
You realize that TCU would have had a 0% chance of even being in the BCS National Championship Game under the old format, right?

Michigan would have just been handed a spot in the final to play Georgia. At least this way, a better team earned it's spot.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
You realize that TCU would have had a 0% chance of even being in the BCS National Championship Game under the old format, right?

Michigan would have just been handed a spot in the final to play Georgia. At least this way, a better team earned it's spot.
You think Michigan would have given up 70 to UGA?

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
You think Michigan would have given up 70 to UGA?
Who knows? I know that TCU proved on the field that they deserved to be there in Michigan's place. Thank God they got that opportunity.

In 6 of the 9 Playoffs, a team that would not have been picked by the BCS has made it, and in 3 of them, that team has won. The BCS was terrible. More was better.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Who knows? I know that TCU proved on the field that they deserved to be there in Michigan's place. Thank God they got that opportunity.

In 6 of the 9 Playoffs, a team that would not have been picked by the BCS has made it, and in 3 of them, that team has won. The BCS was terrible. More was better.
I know TCU got lucky and won a game they didn’t deserve to be in in the first place and got exposed as complete frauds by losing in a humiliating and embarrassing fashion. Literally every team UGA played was better than them. Get out of here with what they earned. 65-7.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I know TCU got lucky and won a game they didn’t deserve to be in in the first place and got exposed as complete frauds by losing in a humiliating and embarrassing fashion. Literally every team UGA played was better than them. Get out of here with what they earned. 65-7.
Did they win the game or not? The team that wins the game deserves to win the game.

Reactions: GomJabbar

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Did they win the game or not? The team that wins the game deserves to win the game.
How did they get into the semifinal? By scraping by against mid competition while others were left out bc they ran a gauntlet. There 20 or more teams that would’ve given UGA a better game.

Hell there were 14 on UGA’s schedule

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
They earned their spot in the championship game, period. I'm kinda puzzled how this is up for debate?

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
How did they get into the semifinal? By scraping by against mid competition while others were left out bc they ran a gauntlet. There 20 or more teams that would’ve given UGA a better game.
Well those 20 teams should have had a better season and gotten into the playoffs. And/or won their playoff game when they got there. Every one of these supposed 20 teams would have blown multiple chances to get there.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
There was no controversy whatsoever in the playoff selections this year. Like none at all. The selection show was one of the least suspenseful in the history of the CFP. Are you mixing it up with a prior year?
No. I’m saying that some teams have false valor because they don’t play a tough schedule and reap the benefits of that weak schedule to get in the playoff. Bama, Tennessee, LSU were all more deserving than TCU. All of them would swap schedules with the frogs in a heart beat. TCU got to go to a playoff because they hid in the Big XII. The didn’t earn a thing. 65-7.

Reactions: TimberBeast

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
No. I’m saying that some teams have false valor because they don’t play a tough schedule and reap the benefits of that weak schedule to get in the playoff. Bama, Tennessee, LSU were all more deserving than TCU. All of them would swap schedules with the frogs in a heart beat. TCU got to go to a playoff because they hid in the Big XII. The didn’t earn a thing. 65-7.
You seem to be very angry about this for some reason.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
All the playoff expansions have been designed to control the SEC. Instead they have just made the SEC stronger. What are they going to do when it is an all SEC Final Four in the near future?
Absolutely correct. Several years ago the pac1 and big10 started this and it’s been blowing up in their face ever since. Not sure why the the SEC went along with them but I’m sure it’s more money all around in the end. Sad football and a 12 team playoff is going to look really dumb in the end.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Tulane and TCU don’t deserve a playoff. They get to play against a soft schedule. Meanwhile, we have to play the champion or runner up every year. There shouldn’t be a playoff if the schedule is going to be that imbalanced. The whole thing is just stupid.
They are FORCED to play a soft schedule. No big ranked teams want to play TCU our some other hot program like Boise State was during the season. So they don't get the opportunity. I guarantee they would go anywhere to play against some good competition.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I made a suggestion during the BCS days that I think is a good alternative to big playoff expansion. Georgia just played 15 games this season. Expanded playoffs could get that up to 17. Have teams schedule only 10 games. Then there would be two TBD games for each team. Then give a body like the current playoff committee the ability to make two matchups per team, a week at a time, that would help decide the 4 team playoff more on the field. Two would be better but even is you did one TBD game it would make the top four clearer. They could force that TCU vs Alabama or Ohio State vs Georgia game in season. So these will be playoff like games instead of Alabama finishing with Austin Peay.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
They are FORCED to play a soft schedule. No big ranked teams want to play TCU our some other hot program like Boise State was during the season. So they don't get the opportunity. I guarantee they would go anywhere to play against some good competition.
Here’s the deal. I am a little salty about it because TCU is now considered a better program than the State’s of the world. They made the playoff. But given the opportunity, there’s nothing I’ve see ln that tells me they are a better a program than us. They get opportunities we never will. If that doesn’t bother you a little, I can’t help you.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Here’s the deal. I am a little salty about it because TCU is now considered a better program than the State’s of the world. They made the playoff. But given the opportunity, there’s nothing I’ve see ln that tells me they are a better a program than us. They get opportunities we never will. If that doesn’t bother you a little, I can’t help you.
That's a pretty defeatist attitude to think we "never will" make the playoffs. Why even follow the team if it's that hopeless?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

They’ve been considered a better program for awhile. They also came a lot closer than we did to making the CFP in 2014, too. They didn’t just fall off the turnip truck in 2022.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
They’ve been considered a better program for awhile. They also came a lot closer than we did to making the CFP in 2014, too. They didn’t just fall off the turnip truck in 2022.

We would have made a 12 team playoff in 2014. OM would have made two. 12 team playoff changes the game for a lot of us.

patdog

May 28, 2007
True. But the better team doesn't always win. Michigan is a better team than TCU. Ohio St. is a better team than TCU. Alabama is a better team than TCU. Tennessee (with Hendon Hooker) is a better team than TCU.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login