8 to 12 team playoff!!!!

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I’ve never understood MSU fans who advocate for more than a 4 team playoff. Our playoff is right in front of us every year, we win the SEC and we’re in( assuming we have no more than 1 loss). When you expand to 12 that just adds a couple more games MSU has to win. I understand the aspect of ‘now we have a chance to make the playoffs!’ But I’m not sure that makes the goal of a national title game easier.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog and POTUS

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
That's a pretty defeatist attitude to think we "never will" make the playoffs. Why even follow the team if it's that hopeless?
I guess I could just cheer for whoever but I actually graduated from MSU so I'm gonna follow us no matter what.

But until there's some kind of scheduling balance, we face an immense uphill battle to get a fair shot at the playoff. If TCU had played UGA in the regular season (like we had to do) they wouldn't have been there. If they'd played Bama too (which we had to do) they would've been in the Duke's Mayo Bowl, where they belonged.

The difference between us and TCU is that they get the prestige and notoriety of being in the playoff before they are shown they don't belong. We just get shown we don't belong every year without any of the fanfare.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
I’ve never understood MSU fans who advocate for more than a 4 team playoff. Our playoff is right in front of us every year, we win the SEC and we’re in( assuming we have no more than 1 loss). When you expand to 12 that just adds a couple more games MSU has to win. I understand the aspect of ‘now we have a chance to make the playoffs!’ But I’m not sure that makes the goal of a national title game easier.
Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: retire the banner

patdog

May 28, 2007
If TCU had played UGA in the regular season (like we had to do) they wouldn't have been there. If they'd played Bama too (which we had to do) they would've been in the Duke's Mayo Bowl, where they belonged.
Put TCU in the SEC and they're just another 4-4 / 5-3 team. And that's one of their 3 best seasons in school history.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Idiotic. We will never win "our playoff". NEVER.

At least now we have a hope and prayer of actually being involved, even though the actual title is (I agree) now more elusive than ever. But the chances decreased by a rounding error.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Well, MSU isn’t ever going to win the SEC again. So if you ever want them to have a shot, you need the mulligan or two that a 12 team CFP provides.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

At least now we have a hope and prayer of actually being involved, even though the actual title is (I agree) now more elusive than ever. But the chances decreased by a rounding error.
Poor ol Mississippi State

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012

Making a 12 team playoff would be like us making the Final Four in basketball. No championship, but that team will always be remembered as an all time great.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Poor ol Mississippi State
It’s not poor ole Mississippi State, it’s reality. Look at our budget compared to Alabama, Georgia, LSU, etc. It’s peanuts. Facilities are the same way. We cannot compete financially and facilities wise with the top dogs of the SEC. That’s not a defeatist attitude, that’s reality. Now that’s not saying we will never beat them, because upsets do happen. But the odds of us winning the SEC or going undefeated in SEC play are so small they’re almost zero. Hell, we’ve only ever won 10 games in a season two or three times in our history. Alabama has won 11 games in a season 12 years in a row.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It’s not poor ole Mississippi State, it’s reality. Look at our budget compared to Alabama, Georgia, LSU, etc. It’s peanuts. Facilities are the same way. We cannot compete financially and facilities wise with the top dogs of the SEC. That’s not a defeatist attitude, that’s reality. Now that’s not saying we will never beat them, because upsets do happen. But the odds of us winning the SEC or going undefeated in SEC play are so small they’re almost zero. Hell, we’ve only ever won 10 games in a season two or three times in our history. Alabama has won 11 games in a season 12 years in a row.
No one outside of the Big 6 SEC schools has won the SEC in the last 60 years. And it's harder for the smaller schools to win it now than it ever was.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
This game is a blowout but at least I was interested it at the beginning of the game. Alabama lost two games and you know what Saban is doing the halftime show. If it were 16 they are in and if they are opposite UGA probably the opposing team.
I am interested in ANYTHING that increases parity in college football. As great as college football is it is without doubt the least overall competitive major sport out there and most of the rules seem to intend to keep the most dominant teams dominant. Anything that makes college football more competitive, and therefore more entertaining, is a great thing! Increasing playoff spots at least gives elite athletes the notion that there are more than 6 or 7 programs they can go to and still have a chance to play for a title. I wish someone would take up the mantle of possibly reducing scholarships but nobody seems to want to touch that with a ten foot pole. That would actually be the best way to increase competitiveness. Football is the ONLY college sport with a glut of scholarships that allows the elite programs to gobble up most all the elite players.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDawg08

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I couldn’t disagree more

That’s fine. I’m still either 100% right, or will be long dead when I’m wrong. The landscape shift required for MSU to win the football SEC in its current form sure isn’t happening in my lifetime, and I’m not even 40 yet.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
They didn’t earn their spot in the playoff. That was a gift

Sounds like your anger needs to be directed at Michigan and the fact that Harbaugh can’t prepare his teams for the CFP worth a 17. If they beat TCU by 14 in a competitive game, and then turned around and lost to UGA by 28 like they should have, everyone would have been fine with TCU being in. Just like they were fine with Cincy last year. Of course TCU was no match for UGA, but its not their fault that Michigan never got off the bus.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
MSU ain’t winning the SEC in this format and was only competitive like three or four times in the entire history of the previous format. It’s a pointless argument. My question about is the value of a playoff bowl vs a regular bowl in the same venue. Are those extra playoff bowls going to pay out more than they used to when they were not part of the CFP?

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Here’s the deal. I am a little salty about it because TCU is now considered a better program than the State’s of the world. They made the playoff. But given the opportunity, there’s nothing I’ve see ln that tells me they are a better a program than us. They get opportunities we never will. If that doesn’t bother you a little, I can’t help you.
They are a better program. Whether you like it or not, there are other Power 5 conferences out there besides the SEC. Unfortunately we have to play in the best conference in the land.

Just because TCU got blown out last night doesn't discredit what they've done. Who's to say Clemson or USC or Ohio State doesn't get their doors blown off last night as well? It happens.

Georgia gets to sleepwalk to 12-0 next season by playing a joke OOC schedule and avoiding LSU, Bama, and A&M in the regular season. It is what it is. You win the games in front of you and you get rewarded.

Reactions: FlotownDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login