80 years ago tonight

Ironman2

Dec 18, 2021
While I was serving, my Dad did share a few of his experiences. But even then I felt like he was pulling his punches - not giving me the full "Saving Private Ryan" view. Some of his sharing was very practical - being Infantry, keeping your feet dry and weapon clean were paramount -- and some was to try to prepare me for war. Fortunately, the latter lessons were never needed.

Recognition of them as "the Greatest Generation" should extend past their wartime experiences. They came home to create an economy that not only helped the US but that also rebuilt much of Asia and Europe.
Back when men where real men!

Reactions: ODShowtime

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Sorry in advance for the length, Just a memory to share with everyone ( and I have other stories to tell as well )

This day, more than any other, gives me pause to take a moment to appreciate all the great men and women who sacrificed and overcame the horrors of a maniac hell bent on destroying the world. As the years go by, I am more appreciative than ever of what I was left with after a brief encounter with a middle aged woman from Portsmouth who had lived through the air campaign conducted by Hitler. At the time, I really could not comprehend what had transpired in WW2. I did not fully understand the significance of D-Day as a young person before June 5th 1984.

Forty years ago ( wow, forty short years ago ) I was stationed on the Eisenhower, CVN69, The IKE, the greatest Nuclear powered AirCraft Carrier of it’s time and still in service today. The ship was invited to participate in the 40th anniversary celebration commemorating the launch of D-Day. Eisenhower was the mastermind behind the invasion that saved the free world. I was the Topside Petty Officer in charge of Combat recovery operations on the Flight Deck and was a member of a gregarious crew. Time off meant partying. We were a work hard, play hard cast of characters.

So the IKE was in Portsmouth for the week of celebration, Reagan was coming over, lots of pomp and circumstance. The town was lit and it was fun. Our gang partied up for the most part at a bar named the Blue Anchor but there were other places as well. At that time, England still observed some ritual of bars closing during the day and reopening later on.

The night before my day of discovery is fuzzy at best, it may or may not have included sleeping on a pool table or bench. Somehow or another me and a few shipmates ended up at the Old Soldiers and Sailors Home Club the next morning, which may have been renamed the Maritime Hotel, for breakfast. Breakfast was free, substantial ( proper British Breakfast, first one I ever ate ) and right on time. Our Servers were charming people who could not have been nicer. They made a point to thank us for showing up, made sure everything was just perfect, even delivering warm steamy milk for our coffee as most of us took our coffee with cream. The free breakfast was just one of many tokens of appreciation the locals were providing as part of the celebration. When we said “ thank you” to our server, we were always met with the response, “ no, Thank You for being here “. With that breakfast under my belt, I made my way back to the ship to take a nap, get a change of clothes, etc as the town was still quiet For the most part.

A few hours later, back in town after a few rounds, I took a break to go out shopping to get some mementos. Whatever I bought I no longer have BTW, isn’t that the way the world works? While walking around town with a buddy enjoying the sight seeing, we sat down on a park bench to sit for a spell and enjoy the afternoon. While sitting, a middle aged woman came up and asked if she could sit on the bench with us. I said sure.It turns out she wanted to take a moment to thank us for being there as well.

As we sat, she recounted the horrors of growing up during the bombings, what is was like being a child living under siege and how much it meant to her that someone, us, The United States Of America, showed up to sacrifice and help save the day. She was gracious, thankful, interesting and insightful All at the same time. I remember it being a very nice conversation. She could not have been more appreciative.

At the time, it started to dawn on me what it all meant and why we were here but not completely. It certainly did to the woman who sat with us on the bench, the folks serving Breakfast, Reagan, Margaret Thatcher and many British citizens who lived through the hell of WW2. As I get older and have had a chance to reflect, read, travel ( London is full of WW2 history ) I have come to realize just how important that massive effort led by Eisenhower was. The Men and Woman who worked tirelessly, sacrificed, and accomplished so much during the Launch will be forever admired for all they gave us And our Allies. To the Men who landed up and down the coast you have my thanks. To those still living and those left behind, we are forever grateful for your sacrifice as we sit here today. May your memory never fade. When the world needed you, you delivered. Thank you for your service.
This should be pinned, what wonderful recollection.

Reactions: LionJim

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
I sent a group email to a bunch of people last night. One friend’s father was a tail gunner who flew over bombing God knows what since it was pre dawn. He said they were dropping holy hell but really couldn’t see what they were actually hitting. Went back to base and then flew another mission in the AM. Told me that the water looked gray given the amount of ships storming the beach.

Whenever there was a celebration or show on TV and we mentioned it to him in case he wanted to tune in, all he would say is that he was there and didn’t need to see anything on TV. He lived to 97 and he never forgot that night and day. Those missions were burned into his brain and the fact that he was likely bombing at least some of his friends since he and his family immigrated here from Germany a short number of years before 6-6-44.

Saying someone is a hero is overblown today. Not with these guys. Thank you to all!

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Grandfather from the coal regions, was in the CCC, poor as hell, limited education, disabled vet Guadalcanal and now his kids and their kids are lacking for nothing, well-educated, and basically living great lives. Greatest generation indeed.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I sent a group email to a bunch of people last night. One friend’s father was a tail gunner who flew over bombing God knows what since it was pre dawn. He said they were dropping holy hell but really couldn’t see what they were actually hitting. Went back to base and then flew another mission in the AM. Told me that the water looked gray given the amount of ships storming the beach.

Whenever there was a celebration or show on TV and we mentioned it to him in case he wanted to tune in, all he would say is that he was there and didn’t need to see anything on TV. He lived to 97 and he never forgot that night and day. Those missions were burned into his brain and the fact that he was likely bombing at least some of his friends since he and his family immigrated here from Germany a short number of years before 6-6-44.

Saying someone is a hero is overblown today. Not with these guys. Thank you to all!
My Brother in laws father was a glider pilot.
That was practically a suicide mission.
On a side note there is an awesome Glider Pilot museum in Lubbock.

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Especially since the arrival of helicopters, vertical envelopment (static line parachuting) is a hugely expensive and inefficient means of delivering troops to a battlefield. That said, military parachuting is an awesome fraternity. Hearing "Airborne!" with the "All the way!" response is still inspiring to me.

Reactions: ODShowtime

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Following along from great article from Tom, this book from the late/great Stephen Ambrose is a collection of 1000+ interviews... really good

And I will add another that I thoroughly enjoyed...

6D7CA45EA5E8710258312FC0E044EC802CE6CED2.jpeg

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
This isn’t exactly a D-Day story but on March 2, 1945 my grandfather, who was 20 at the time, went up on his 12th mission as a top turret gunner in a B-17. The plane got shot down and his parachute got caught in a tree where he was captured the next day. After a few days, one of the guards overheard him speaking in Hungarian. The guard happened to have family there so he always slipped my grandfather a little bit of extra food and kept him from being the next one shot via orders from someone above him. finally, after a little over two months, the US forces came in and took down the camp, saving hundreds.

My grandfather never told anyone about what went on over there other than these few items that he told his younger brother once he got home who then he ended up telling my father after my grandfather passed. We found all of his old army bags and things down in the basement of his house after he passed including the letter to my great grandparents telling them he was missing in action.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
One of the best books on D Day:

cover of Eisenhower's Lieutenants by Russell F Weigley's Lieutenants by Russell F Weigley
The title calls to mind the epic 3 volume set by Douglas Southall Freeman: Lee's Lieutenants, A Study in Command. The abridged volume is over 900 pages. I read, over many, many months, all 3 volumes at roughly 2,400 pages. That... was a challenge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Bones80

Oct 19, 2021
Had three family members serve in WWII and all had interesting experiences. My grandfather served in the US Navy aboard the USS Alaska at both Iowa Jima and Okinawa. When not at battle stations, he was a cook. At battle stations he was a gunners mate helping feed ammunition. He traded 1/2 gallon of ice cream with a marine from Iowa for a Japanese rifle. They filled the barrel with concrete before allowing it to come stateside. My nephew still has the rifle. My uncle Bernie was a B17 bomber pilot with the 8th Army Air Force flying missions over Germany. I remember as a kid him building a single seat prop plane from a kit in the garage in his home in Bensalem, PA. He eventually flew the thing. My other uncle Jon was with the OSS during the war. He was an MD and eventually rose to the rank of Colonel. He was in a unit that parachuted into Rome ahead of the Allied forces to help secure the Pope and make sure the Germans didn’t take him as a hostage. After the war (we learned much later) he served in the CIA and was the physician to the Shah of Iran’s first wife. He died during the Vietnam war when a plane he was flying crashed in Vientiane Laos. Since the US was not supposed to be operating in Laos his name does not appear on the wall. He and his wife (also CIA) are both buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
My Uncle was a coxswain on a LCVP at Omaha Beach, the boat became disabled , he then ran ashore for cover. He
told me many G.I.'s were getting shot and kept falling on him.

When i was a young boy, i asked him what impression did he get from that day ? He told me "it looked like the
world was on fire".

slwlion01

Jul 24, 2023
Thousands of Allied soldiers, sailors, and airmen were only hours away from making a desperate attempt to free Europe from the Nazi nightmare.
I was turning 4 years old. I owe them the next 80 years. Thank you one and all.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login