80 years ago

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Can you imagine what it will look like 80 years from now?
planet of the apes art GIF by Tech Noir

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Honestly, the world was a completely different place 80 years ago, and the threat was really easy for most to see.

Reactions: patdog

Fritz!

Oct 16, 2014
I had two great uncles land with the 5th Rangers and a great uncle in law jump with the 101st. One of the uncles was KIA 02SEP44, the other seemed kind of grumpy about stuff in the seventies. The uncle in law was pretty much annoyed with things into the nineties, but was a VERY cool guy, but you could tell he was a Hard Man. For you youngers, look up true grit.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
What would those young men think if they saw what’s become of our country.
Thinking about it the other way around, I’m not sure if I wouldn’t take a ride on a Higgins boat for the chance to raise a family in the 50’s and 60’s vs raising one now.

And I say that respectfully as a dude raised in part by grandfathers who won that war.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
We are about three hours away from the first invasion/landing of d-day, 80 years ago.
They wouldnt recognize the place.

- they would be shocked to not see kids in braces since each year tens of thousands of kids are no longer stricken with polio and sentenced to a life of difficulty and struggle.
- they would be shocked to see that education is infinitely more accessible to all kids regardless of gender, race, or religion.
- they would be shocked to see how many older people are around and active since Americans live an average of 12 more years now than they used to.

And that doesn't even get into the wild technology leaps.
But sure- look at what's become of this country.**

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
As bad as it may be in som many people's eyes... WW2 vets should be proud of the current military. Many of which are their direct descendants of which inherited a sense of duty.

We often have these images of a bunch of proud Americans volunteering to go stop the evil Nazis... Reality is nobody wanted to get involved and thought WW2 was a European problem.

WW2 veterans: 2/3rds were drafted.
Vietnam veterans 1/3 were drafted.
Desert Storm/Iraq/Afghanistan vets: 0 were drafted.

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
We are about three hours away from the first invasion/landing of d-day, 80 years ago.
My grandfather was shot down on 5/24 before d-day (376 Fighter Squadron / 361 Fighter Group ). He said up until that day, there had never been more allied aircraft in the air... ever. He wasn't even supposed to fly that day but another pilot had an emergency apendectomy. When they told him to get to the flight line he was still up "playing cards" with the boys. Years later he said.... "Welcome to the Army Air Corps"

Reactions: dawgman42

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
What’s so terrible about the country? I’d imagine most people they fought the nazi’s would be happy to know there are no nazi’s in power.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015

- they would be shocked to not see kids in braces since each year tens of thousands of kids are no longer stricken with polio and sentenced to a life of difficulty and struggle.
- they would be shocked to see that education is infinitely more accessible to all kids regardless of gender, race, or religion.
- they would be shocked to see how many older people are around and active since Americans live an average of 12 more years now than they used to.

Counterpoint: They would be shocked at how many people that enjoy these privileges hate America.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Counterpoint: They would be shocked at how many people that enjoy these privileges hate America.
I don't view equal opportunity to childhood education as a privilege, I view it as how it should have been all along.

But still, I understand your point and overall agree.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I sure feel sorry for some folks - they can't even honor and appreciate a triumphant day for America and freedom without making it about whatever they don't like.

Who knows maybe June 6 is a sad day for them due to fascism getting it's asss kicked.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
50% of my family is still in Italy (dad's side). All my family still regards D-day as a rapture of sorts. It's humbling to go through their FB posts and see their gratitude toward our fallen soldiers. Without our boys and the rest of the coalition, the world would be a much worse place. Never forget.

Screenshot 2024-06-06 080925.png

Screenshot 2024-06-06 081008.png

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Hard times make hard men, hard men make soft times, soft times make soft men, soft men make hard times

im sure I screwed that saying up but you get the point. It’s a cycle and we are in the point of the cycle that we are about to make some hard men IMO

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The note Eisenhower wrote and put in his billfold in the event D-Day failed tells us about all we need to know about him as a man:

"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops," Eisenhower wrote. "My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."

1717677762754.gif

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
The note Eisenhower wrote and put in his billfold in the event D-Day failed tells us about all we need to know about him as a man:

"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops," Eisenhower wrote. "My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."

View attachment 585946
Eisenhower was definitely the best man for the job. I can't imagine trying to manage people like Patton and Montgomery while doing everything else he needed to do.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Just thank God Hitler was a controlling drug addict. If his lazy drugged out *** was awake and released his reserves Rundstedt would have won. If they stop us at any beach the whole operation would have failed.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I had two great uncles land with the 5th Rangers and a great uncle in law jump with the 101st. One of the uncles was KIA 02SEP44, the other seemed kind of grumpy about stuff in the seventies. The uncle in law was pretty much annoyed with things into the nineties, but was a VERY cool guy, but you could tell he was a Hard Man. For you youngers, look up true grit.
username does NOT check out

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Just thank God Hitler was a controlling drug addict. If his lazy drugged out *** was awake and released his reserves Rundstedt would have won. If they stop us at any beach the whole operation would have failed.
Agreed but then drug use/abuse in general in Nazi Germany and by the German army pre WWII was really bad. There are thousands of articles and books written on the subject.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012

In the game of what ifs, I think that would only prolong the war and thus it would be much worse. The allies would have to take back Europe through Italy and Greece. And who knows what that would do to the resources and how that would effect the Pacific Theatre.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

- they would be shocked to see a man made virus leaked in the lab of a foreign adversary funded by US dollars.
- they would be shocked to see that the US is ranked 38th in the world in math and that American exceptionalism is no longer taught in schools, not to mention the woke agendas in academia
- they would be shocked to see that US has the lowest life expectancy at birth among other high income countries.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
They would probably wonder why there’s still so many damn nazis still running around.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
In the game of what ifs, I think that would only prolong the war and thus it would be much worse. The allies would have to take back Europe through Italy and Greece. And who knows what that would do to the resources and how that would effect the Pacific Theatre.
We had a beach head in Italy. We were coming from the south.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Agreed but then drug use/abuse in general in Nazi Germany and by the German army pre WWII was really bad. There are thousands of articles and books written on the subject.

Lets not forget their entire army took meth before and during campaigns.

Reactions: thatsbaseball
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login