$800,00 or more for one afternoon.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I was reading in the news that Olivia Culpo, who is Christian McCaffery's fiancé, gifted his mother a suite for the superbowl. The linked article which you can read here, states that the price starts at 800K and goes up to 2Mil. I am a conservative and a capitalist and I think the players deserve every penny they make. Also a bunch of people earn a living because of things like this. However that people would pay that for an afternoon of entertainment is mind-boggling.

Excerpt:

According to TickPick, a ticketing resale marketplace, the price of a suite at this year’s Super Bowl can cost anywhere from $800,000 to $2m, depending on the type of suite. The Suite Experience Group, which provides suites for the Super Bowl, offers six suite options: the Traditional Suites, East Loge Level, Club Suites, Owners’ Seats, and Owners’ Club Suites.

One of the cheapest suite packages is priced at $300,000 in the Private Premium Loge Box, which includes four tickets and food and beverages. However, the cost for a Club Suite - 20 suite tickets, two parking passes, and food and beverages - is $1.2m. Traditional Premium Suites can accommodate 22 to 26 guests, while Owners’ Club Suites hold up to 16 to 20 people.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
Even for a professional athlete, $800K is a sizable sum, especially for 4-6 hours worth of entertainment.

ETA: my reading comprehension is lacking this morning.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Yeah. I enjoy going to Dallas games. But one a year is good enough for me. ...and I'm spending $300-600 for two to see a game. Which even those prices feel like rape. Haha.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I’ve absolutely never had the desire to attend the Super Bowl. They price out real fans and just have a social status display for 70,000 - 80,000 people who don’t even give a crap about the outcome. Seems like the most sterile gameday environment imaginable.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
I agree with Bulldog Bruce. This raises matters that are generally missed in this discussion.

I'm always impressed how everyone is a capitalist until they can't afford to play. Then, and only then, the prices are an outrage.

If the money is there being made, of course the players should get as much of it as they can get, leveraging the availability of their athletic ability as their investment capital in the game.

The figures boggle my mind as much as anyone's, but that doesn't make it wrong, it just makes it far out of my reach.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I have a hard time believing that these players “deserve every penny they make” when they are out buying things like this. It’s a world I don’t understand.
Sour grapes? Capitalism says let the market adjust to supply and demand. It is always funny to me that people think a sports figure or actor making 8 figures is ok while a CEO that makes 7 figures is a horrible thing. After all, it usually takes a CEO 30 to 40 years of hard work to reach that 7 figure salary. Personally, I'm happy for anyone that is successful and makes those kind of salaries. If you are unhappy with sport figures salaries boycott them.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Sour grapes? Capitalism says let the market adjust to supply and demand. It is always funny to me that people think a sports figure or actor making 8 figures is ok while a CEO that makes 7 figures is a horrible thing. After all, it usually takes a CEO 30 to 40 years of hard work to reach that 7 figure salary. Personally, I'm happy for anyone that is successful and makes those kind of salaries. If you are unhappy with sport figures salaries boycott them.
Rich people have been trying since the beginning of time to prove it’s OK not to pay for its labor or compensate labor fairly. A CEO does not work so much harder than the ones actually working and making things while he has another meeting at the golf course. Anyone’s argument against minimum wage that one can live is just a brainwashed fool or rich themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: JackShephard

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Maybe. Call it whatever you want, but it’s fascinating to me that we value a person at that level of wealth, when they aren’t tangibly making our life better somehow.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Rich people have been trying since the beginning of time to prove it’s OK not to pay for its labor or compensate labor fairly. A CEO does not work so much harder than the ones actually working and making things while he has another meeting at the golf course. Anyone’s argument against minimum wage that one can live is just a brainwashed fool or rich themselves.
I do agree Executive pay has gotten out of hand but a bad day for a worker may screw up the line or product. A bad day for a CEO could sink the whole dang company and err body loses their job. Those jobs are not even remotely comparable unless you are only comparing physical labor while excluding mental and strategic labor.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
What do you do for a living?

Do you know any CEOs?

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Maybe. Call it whatever you want, but it’s fascinating to me that we value a person at that level of wealth, when they aren’t tangibly making our life better somehow.
Are you talking about the sports figure or the CEO?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
you know what I'd do with $800k?

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I do agree Executive pay has gotten out of hand but a bad day for a worker may screw up the line or product. A bad day for a CEO could sink the whole dang company and err body loses their job. Those jobs are not even remotely comparable unless you are only comparing physical labor while excluding mental and strategic labor.
Executive pay is a result of supply and demand so let the market decide. A great CEO can double the production resulting in twice the the number of employees and increasing share holder value which benefits retirement plans and investments. Our entire economy is based on businesses surviving and thriving. I want the best CEO running my company.

Good post!

HotMop

May 8, 2006
That's still a better investment than giving to the NIL.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I have a hard time believing that these players “deserve every penny they make” when they are out buying things like this. It’s a world I don’t understand.
A player didn't buy it. The player's influencer / model girlfriend did. The winning teams player share last year was $157,000. Then watching Kelce documentary I think he and his wife paid like $50,000 for his family to go to the game. The internet says they get 2 free then option on face value for 13 more. So they are not raking it in for the Superbowl itself.

But just think about it. Because 106 players are playing a game 20 people are paying $2,000,000 for a suite. There are probably at least 10 of those suites. So just 200 fans generate $20,000,000 for 5 hours of entertainment. Actually in Allegiant stadium there are 128 executive suites and 44 loge boxes. So probably more than 10 are in the 2 million range. Leave it to say a bunch of money is being generated because there are folks willing to pay those prices.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
A player didn't buy it. The player's influencer / model girlfriend did. The winning teams player share last year was $157,000. Then watching Kelce documentary I think he and his wife paid like $50,000 for his family to go to the game. The internet says they get 2 free then option on face value for 13 more. So they are not raking it in for the Superbowl itself.

But just think about it. Because 106 players are playing a game 20 people are paying $2,000,000 for a suite. There are probably at least 10 of those suites. So just 200 fans generate $20,000,000 for 5 hours of entertainment. Actually in Allegiant stadium there are 128 executive suites and 44 loge boxes. So probably more than 10 are in the 2 million range. Leave it to say a bunch of money is being generated because there are folks willing to pay those prices.
Good for them! I'm happy they have the money to afford an extravagant lifestyle. That is the high limit for capitalism. How many Chinese Communist will be enjoying that lavish lifestyle? The sky is the limit in the US. Only the leaders of China can expect to enjoy themselves.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Maybe not necessarily making your life better but that star player in an indirect way creates an economic benefit the local economy around their said organization and all those job associated with it.

fredgarvin

Jun 26, 2010
I got to go to a Super Bowl about 10 years ago as the guest of a supplier. Was expecting it to be nothing but a bunch of suits talking to each other and not watching the game. Was surprised to see how many ordinary people there were at the game wearing their teams jersey/paraphenalia totally into the game. Never saw any posers or people just their to vogue. Sat behind Ron Jaworski and his buddy. (Super nice guy BTW). Not there in any official capacity. Just there to enjoy the game.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
those boxes are 99% corporate- the cost will be covered by all of us

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
I was reading in the news that Olivia Culpo, who is Christian McCaffery's fiancé, gifted his mother a suite for the superbowl. The linked article which you can read here, states that the price starts at 800K and goes up to 2Mil. I am a conservative and a capitalist and I think the players deserve every penny they make. Also a bunch of people earn a living because of things like this. However that people would pay that for an afternoon of entertainment is mind-boggling.

Excerpt:

According to TickPick, a ticketing resale marketplace, the price of a suite at this year’s Super Bowl can cost anywhere from $800,000 to $2m, depending on the type of suite. The Suite Experience Group, which provides suites for the Super Bowl, offers six suite options: the Traditional Suites, East Loge Level, Club Suites, Owners’ Seats, and Owners’ Club Suites.

One of the cheapest suite packages is priced at $300,000 in the Private Premium Loge Box, which includes four tickets and food and beverages. However, the cost for a Club Suite - 20 suite tickets, two parking passes, and food and beverages - is $1.2m. Traditional Premium Suites can accommodate 22 to 26 guests, while Owners’ Club Suites hold up to 16 to 20 people.
I am a capitalist pig and a staunch conservative and I recognize that this is an example of why the rest of the world hates crazy rich Americans! And I am okay with it because people should be able to spend their money how they want.

Reactions: Maroon13 and olblue

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Bull crap! A minimum wage is not nor has it ever been meant as a living wage. It was intended as a starter pay point for unskilled and/or novice beginning laborers. But there are indeed people who chose for a multitude of reasons not to get the kind of education that would give them the opportunity to advance themselves or create opportunities for themselves. The country needs carpenters, plumbers, electricians, heating and air techs, etc, etc. etc.... we don't need English Majors with BA or BS degrees becoming baristas. We don't need art majors who get hired to draw graffiti but if they are happy with that life, have at it. We have people with high degrees who essentially wasted their money but has a good time until it's time to get the real world life degree. I used to watch a lot of MLB but not any more. I don't watch MLS Soccer, Hockey or NBA. So I don't care how much they get paid. Should a grocery cashier make more than $7.25 an hour? Sure. But how much is fair so as to not have those that are making $9 an hour after 2 years experience go up proportionately . If a company employs 30 people at beginner, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, 5 years, 8 years, but the 8 year get is making $12 an hour because they understood that low skill job can only pay so much for the position at the top. So the ridiculous request of $15 minimum should push all the other experienced employee up proportionately. And to do thst fairly, a $1.39 can of green beans is going to have to sell for $3.39 and thst is stupid.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Executive pay is a result of supply and demand so let the market decide. A great CEO can double the production resulting in twice the the number of employees and increasing share holder value which benefits retirement plans and investments. Our entire economy is based on businesses surviving and thriving. I want the best CEO running my company.

Good post!
My humble thoughts from coming up on 2 decades experience in big corporate America….

The higher up the totem pole the origin is of a specific question / directive / request, the more ridiculous, absurd, and out of touch it is absolutely guaranteed to be.

The OP is correct. Executives generally bust their asses until they get one or two levels below what makes one an “executive” at any given company. But then they don’t have to work nearly as hard…and get paid way more for it. All they have to do is have what they believe to be a great, flavor of the week ideas every now and again that they can “convince” those below them to implement. Usually these ideas suck at worst, and at best they are neither good or bad - but still waste a ton of time and resources by diverting everyone away from their core work for whatever the hell it is for however long.

As someone who has spent many years with the same company (a good one might I add) - I’ve seen 4 or 5 different presidents. Dozens of different general managers and senior managers rotating in and out. Since my very first day, I can say that the strengths and weaknesses of the organization haven’t changed a bit. The biggest problems 20 years ago are still the biggest problems today, and in many ways they are worse. The strategic goals and objectives have not changed.

Once you get “made” and get in the club, you just get to keep occupying bigger and bigger seats after awhile, and life is good. But in very few large organizations are those people truly driving any sort of real improvements. They just get to sit in the seat for a little while….until the next one opens up. They are often every bit as interchangeable as the guys in the mailroom, the line leads, the accountants, and everyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hot Rock

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I am a capitalist pig and a staunch conservative and I recognize that this is an example of why the rest of the world hates crazy rich Americans! And I am okay with it because people should be able to spend their money how they want.
Never said they couldn't or shouldn't.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Bull crap! A minimum wage is not nor has it ever been meant as a living wage. It was intended as a starter pay point for unskilled and/or novice beginning laborers. But there are indeed people who chose for a multitude of reasons not to get the kind of education that would give them the opportunity to advance themselves or create opportunities for themselves. The country needs carpenters, plumbers, electricians, heating and air techs, etc, etc. etc.... we don't need English Majors with BA or BS degrees becoming baristas. We don't need art majors who get hired to draw graffiti but if they are happy with that life, have at it. We have people with high degrees who essentially wasted their money but has a good time until it's time to get the real world life degree. I used to watch a lot of MLB but not any more. I don't watch MLS Soccer, Hockey or NBA. So I don't care how much they get paid. Should a grocery cashier make more than $7.25 an hour? Sure. But how much is fair so as to not have those that are making $9 an hour after 2 years experience go up proportionately . If a company employs 30 people at beginner, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, 5 years, 8 years, but the 8 year get is making $12 an hour because they understood that low skill job can only pay so much for the position at the top. So the ridiculous request of $15 minimum should push all the other experienced employee up proportionately. And to do thst fairly, a $1.39 can of green beans is going to have to sell for $3.39 and thst is stupid.
Then why was it that you could live on it for many years but it's get worse and worse. You think raising minimum wage makes it harder on you? Wrong. You are subsidizing Walmart. Don't you get it. People that work subsidize housing, food stamps, and hospital care to the uninsured.

If you force people to actually pay labor fairly a funny thing happens, the economy gets better not worse.

• Haha
Reactions: JackShephard

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Bull crap! A minimum wage is not nor has it ever been meant as a living wage.
Why would the minimum wage a person can earn, not be meant to be lived off of? That's the whole point of the minimum wage. To keep penny pinching businesses from screwing over the lower/working class. Why would anyone work for a wage that is insufficient to live off of?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Thinking about it in terms of what people "deserve" isn't really helpful. People don't make what they make because they deserve it. They (ideally) make it because people engaged in a bunch of voluntary transactions and the result just is what it is and overall, just letting that operate is going to make people in general much wealthier (not just in dollar amounts but in terms of receiving goods or services or leisure time in accordance with their preferences) compared to people trying to interfere.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
My humble thoughts from coming up on 2 decades experience in big corporate America….

The higher up the totem pole the origin is of a specific question / directive / request, the more ridiculous, absurd, and out of touch it is absolutely guaranteed to be.

The OP is correct. Executives generally bust their asses until they get one or two levels below what makes one an “executive” at any given company. But then they don’t have to work nearly as hard…and get paid way more for it. All they have to do is have what they believe to be a great, flavor of the week ideas every now and again that they can “convince” those below them to implement. Usually these ideas suck at worst, and at best they are neither good or bad - but still waste a ton of time and resources by diverting everyone away from their core work for whatever the hell it is for however long.

As someone who has spent many years with the same company (a good one might I add) - I’ve seen 4 or 5 different presidents. Dozens of different general managers and senior managers rotating in and out. Since my very first day, I can say that the strengths and weaknesses of the organization haven’t changed a bit. The biggest problems 20 years ago are still the biggest problems today, and in many ways they are worse. The strategic goals and objectives have not changed.

Once you get “made” and get in the club, you just get to keep occupying bigger and bigger seats after awhile, and life is good. But in very few large organizations are those people truly driving any sort of real improvements. They just get to sit in the seat for a little while….until the next one opens up. They are often every bit as interchangeable as the guys in the mailroom, the line leads, the accountants, and everyone else.
Sounds like you are working for a dying company. I worked in the Semiconductor industry. It was eat or be eaten. Bad CEOs or Presidents lasted about 6 months and were ejected. Same for most upper managers. I was a Director when I moved back to MS. My boss was Executive VP and was retiring in 6 months with me as his replacement. I didn't want it or the President's job. I was already spending 2 weeks a month on the road and 10 hours a day when at the office. Great company with the best leadership I had ever experienced. We doubled the size of the company in 4 years. We had a profit sharing program for everyone in the company. Reviews were every 3 months so employees didn't coast for 9 months and bust *ss for 3. The President/CEO let us do our jobs but was very active. I learned a lot from him. I hired some new design engineers for new products I defined. He called me into his office before he signed off on the reqs and told me, "You better be sure you want to bring these people on because it is not just them you are hiring. You are hiring them and their families. If you can't keep them busy we will have to lay them off and their whole family will pay the price." Before that meeting I thought of him as a shrewd business man only concerned with the bottom line. We hired the engineers and we kept them busy but I thought about what he said everyday after that meeting. Far from a company placeholder as many think they are. Movies love to diminish and tarnish CEOs as evil self-serving b*stards and some are. Just like everything else there is a gaussian dostribution.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login