A Little Tech info

bbqbully

Sep 14, 2008
My girlfriend is a Texas Tech grad. She lives and breathes TTU sports. She brought me up to speed on their traditions, etc.

Their mascot is a little guy who looks like Yosemite Sam, always firing his pistols in the air. In fact, their slogan is “Guns Up”, the way we say Hail State.

They also have cowbells. But not everyone gets to ring them. They have a squad, similar to a pom squad, who are the only ones allowed to ring bells.

Even after 12 years, they still revere Mike Leach. They feel about Leach the way we feel about Jackie Sherrill.

Those are the high points.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Just be glad we don’t have to go to Lubbock.

My girlfriend is a Texas Tech grad. She lives and breathes TTU sports. She brought me up to speed on their traditions, etc.

Their mascot is a little guy who looks like Yosemite Sam, always firing his pistols in the air. In fact, their slogan is “Guns Up”, the way we say Hail State.

They also have cowbells. But not everyone gets to ring them. They have a squad, similar to a pom squad, who are the only ones allowed to ring bells.

Even after 12 years, they still revere Mike Leach. They feel about Leach the way we feel about Jackie Sherrill.

Went to a graduation there one year, and was in the car with my elderly in-laws and my family. We got flipped off and cussed out a 4-way stop because the meth head across the way thought my 80-year old father-in-law took to long to go.

Thankfully, that exact same scenario only***** happened TWICE on their god awful campus while trying to leave.

I know some good TTU people, but Lubbock is trash from top to bottom. 17 every bit of that place. I just hope their traveling fans aren’t as bad.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
My girlfriend is a Texas Tech grad...

What flavor snuff does she dip?***

A few other weird facts/traditions:

- Hwy 82 runs through both campuses
- Not sure if they throw tortillas at bowl games or not, but be prepared.
- Saddle Tramps can be found bangin Betrtha
-Will Rogers already has a statue up on the Tech campus

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
For those who have been to Lubbock... Please confirm, the whole town smells like a Jiffy Lube, right?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Damn, I clicked on this thinking it was going to be an interesting thread about Roku, Apple Pay, or YouTube TV

bbqbully

Sep 14, 2008
When we hired Leach, someone asked if he could convince a kid to come to a Starkville. I said if he could convince a kid to come to Lubbock, he could get them anywhere. Most godforsaken place I’ve ever been.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Also:

- Jackrabbits are a very common sight on the Texas Tech campus.
- Lubbock is a good restaurant/food town. Tom & Bingo's BBQ was excellent when I was there.
- Robert Bruno's Steel House at Ransom Canyon is bizarre and beautiful.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
When we hired Leach, someone asked if he could convince a kid to come to a Starkville. I said if he could convince a kid to come to Lubbock, he could get them anywhere. Most godforsaken place I’ve ever been.

I will vouch for this opinion of Lubbock. Stopped there around dinner time when we were returning from vacation out west. Took forever for us to even find a place to eat. The whole place just seemed kind of nasty and deserted.

Eta- This was in 2000 though, before smart phones were a thing. I'm sure we could have found a better part of town with a smart phone and Google.

Last edited:

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
That school's football program deserves to be in the ******* for another decade with the way they treated Leach. It's clear it was a small group of people looking for any reason to fire him and they got their way.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
They threw tortillas at the Birmingham Bowl a couple of years ago.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I drove from San Angelo, TX to Amarillo about 10 years ago. The drive shortened my life. You want to talk about desolation. Holy ****. I fully understand Starkville is NOT the beacon of western civilization, but Christ, that stretch of land between those 2 towns is other-worldly. As someone who lived in Starkville for around 15 years, I can tell you that Lubbock and the surround area will make you miss Earth. Not calling it a ********. Just unfathomably remote. I will say that Lubbock is a step above Midland/Odessa. That place is like Mars. It's no wonder all they do is HS football. It's the only thing there is to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That school's football program deserves to be in the ******* for another decade with the way they treated Leach. It's clear it was a small group of people looking for any reason to fire him and they got their way.

It's even better than that. They wanted to fire him because he wasn't winning enough. In their defense, Tech had tied for second or better in the Big 12 South for 3 of the 4 seasons before leach, and finished 3rd the other season. And they were T-2nd or better in the last 5 years of the Southwest Conference. So I can at least fathom how they thought they deserved better. But I think they were actually disappointed at his 11-1 season because it was going to stop them from firing him.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Hahhaha. Made that drive several times. It sucks. Last year for the first and hopefully only time I made one worse... Amarillo up north across the Oklahoma Panhandle to I-70 outside of Denver. Do not make that drive in November.

We took pretty severe tumbleweed damage. Broke parking sensors the grill on my wife's car. Saw the worst dust storm of my life. (Worse than any I saw in over a year in Iraq.)

View attachment 23190

View attachment 23191

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I drove from San Angelo, TX to Amarillo about 10 years ago. The drive shortened my life. You want to talk about desolation. Holy ****. I fully understand Starkville is NOT the beacon of western civilization, but Christ, that stretch of land between those 2 towns is other-worldly. As someone who lived in Starkville for around 15 years, I can tell you that Lubbock and the surround area will make you miss Earth. Not calling it a ********. Just unfathomable remote. I will say that Lubbock is a step above Midland/Odessa. That place is like Mars. It's no wonder all they do is HS football. It's the only thing there is to do.

I have not been to Lubbock but this is what I understood. Nothing per se wrong with Lubbock and bigger than people realize, but just nothing in between them and anything else ~5 hours away.

fieldcorporal

Nov 1, 2010
I drove from San Angelo, TX to Amarillo about 10 years ago. The drive shortened my life. You want to talk about desolation. Holy ****. I fully understand Starkville is NOT the beacon of western civilization, but Christ, that stretch of land between those 2 towns is other-worldly. As someone who lived in Starkville for around 15 years, I can tell you that Lubbock and the surround area will make you miss Earth. Not calling it a ********. Just unfathomably remote. I will say that Lubbock is a step above Midland/Odessa. That place is like Mars. It's no wonder all they do is HS football. It's the only thing there is to do.

This right here. We played Permian in 1969. I thought we'd gone to the dark side of the moon.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010

Years ago in the early 80's I worked for a land seismograph company out of Midland, TX and we worked a lot of that west Texas area and I will vouch for the fact that the Midland/Odessa/Pecos area of Texas is the most God-forsaken piece of the USA. It is a ********. I was ecstatic when we moved out of the Permian basin down into the Big Bend area. They could sell the Permian Basin back to Mexico as long as we get to keep mineral rights. Back then civilization had yet to reach Lubbock so it was a bigger ******** with fewer attractions than today.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Midland > Odessa. But, I could go the rest of my days without stepping foot in West Texas and be perfectly happy.

Texas Tech is a rough fan base. I was at their Cotton Bowl against OM and they looked like a bunch Mad Max wannabes.

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
I've made the drive between Lubbock and Odessa late at night before and without having any familiarity with where I was. In the two hours I drove I don't think I met a single vehicle. Talk about eerie and desolate.

That part of Texas will make you appreciate grass, trees, and rain

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Midland vs. Odessa epitomizes “haves” and “have nots”…

I thought Midland was nice for being where it is. Decent airport between the 2 towns. Odessa seemed like a 3rd world country, though.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
In 1980, my family took the RV to El Paso for the Sun Bowl.

We left a couple days earlier than planned which was a good thing since it had an issue around Odessa and had to spend an extra night at the KOA by the shop. The place is desolate— or at least it was back then.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Hahhaha. Made that drive several times. It sucks. Last year for the first and hopefully only time I made one worse... Amarillo up north across the Oklahoma Panhandle to I-70 outside of Denver. Do not make that drive in November.

We took pretty severe tumbleweed damage. Broke parking sensors the grill on my wife's car. Saw the worst dust storm of my life. (Worse than any I saw in over a year in Iraq.)

View attachment 23190

View attachment 23191

HA! I just bought tickets to the Jan 29 game. Now I kind of can't wait.

yakalot2

Aug 22, 2012
I've made the drive between Lubbock and Odessa late at night before and without having any familiarity with where I was. In the two hours I drove I don't think I met a single vehicle. Talk about eerie and desolate.

That part of Texas will make you appreciate grass, trees, and rain

Unless one owns minerals there…of course, then one could live anywhere one chooses.

ETA: grammar

bbqbully

Sep 14, 2008
Several years ago I went from Hobbs, NM to Big Spring, TX on US 180. Good 2 lane road with a 70 mph limit. I’m cruising along about 80 and a damn antelope or whatever they are bounces in front of me. Barely missed him but I lost several years off my life. Then I realized I hadn’t seen a house, building, power pole, cell tower, nothing in over an hour. Literally in the middle of nowhere and nobody was on the road but me! Glad I didn’t hit that thing. I’d still be there.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
Went to a graduation there one year, and was in the car with my elderly in-laws and my family. We got flipped off and cussed out a 4-way stop because the meth head across the way thought my 80-year old father-in-law took to long to go.

Thankfully, that exact same scenario only***** happened TWICE on their god awful campus while trying to leave.

I know some good TTU people, but Lubbock is trash from top to bottom. 17 every bit of that place. I just hope their traveling fans aren’t as bad.

I'm sorry, but it begs the question: Why was your 80 year old father in law driving if you had much more able bodied drivers in the car? If it happened 3 times, I have to suspect it wasn't their fans that were the problem.

Sep 15, 2009

Dude we don't live in a bubble we know who Texas Tech is.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login