A Little Tech info

Aug 3, 2019
Hahhaha. Made that drive several times. It sucks. Last year for the first and hopefully only time I made one worse... Amarillo up north across the Oklahoma Panhandle to I-70 outside of Denver. Do not make that drive in November.

We took pretty severe tumbleweed damage. Broke parking sensors the grill on my wife's car. Saw the worst dust storm of my life. (Worse than any I saw in over a year in Iraq.)

View attachment 23190

View attachment 23191
Reminded me of the Mississippi Delta...

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Several years ago I went from Hobbs, NM to Big Spring, TX on US 180. Good 2 lane road with a 70 mph limit. I’m cruising along about 80 and a damn antelope or whatever they are bounces in front of me. Barely missed him but I lost several years off my life. Then I realized I hadn’t seen a house, building, power pole, cell tower, nothing in over an hour. Literally in the middle of nowhere and nobody was on the road but me! Glad I didn’t hit that thing. I’d still be there.

Pronghorn Antelope. For me, one of the 4 or 5 coolest animals in North America. Likely the 2nd fastest land mammal in the world. Able to exceed 50 miles per hour for long periods compared to any predator.

Evolved to evade things like North American cheetahs, not modern vehicles. Glad he/she and you evaded each other.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
For those who have been to Lubbock... Please confirm, the whole town smells like a Jiffy Lube, right?

I’ve been to Lubbock many times over the years on business. I agree that there is a very distinct smell in and around Lubbock. Now, I have no idea what a Jiffy Lube smells like, nor did I realize that there was a Jiffy Lube smell. What I always smell when I get near Lubbock is the smell of cow ****. That’s a smell I’m well-acquainted with from growing up on a dairy farm as well as running a cattle operation for most of my life. The smell of cow **** that is noticed around Lubbock is from the excessive number of cattle feed yards located all around the outskirts of the city. Lubbock at one time had more cattle being fed in yards than anywhere else in the United States. There are huge feedlots and large numbers of cattle there for sure. I guess my question would be, does a typical Jiffy Lube smell like cow ****?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Touche'.

Honestly though, Lubbock's cow **** smell pales in comparison to other parts of the panhandle. I think the big lot on the east side of town gets pretty stinky when the wind is coming from that direction, but the prevailing wind is usually taking it away from town.

There's a feedlot on the westside of town on I -40 in Amarillo that will gag a maggot from 30 miles away. Sucker is huge. I left a hotel on the westside of Amarillo once because I couldn't sleep due to the smell. Went and stayed in Tucumcarri NM. They tell you if you smell it, you're in Lubbock... If you step in it, you're in Amarillo.

But the real stink is just southwest of Amarillo. I had a customer with about 25 locations in the panhandle and that area SW of Amarillo and a little further NW from Lubbock was unbearable from all the feedlots. Dimmit, Muleshoe, Hereford, Bovina... woof. The cow **** smell definitely drifts into Lubbock at times from there though.

The smell I am talking about is always in Lubbock.. It's some kind of amalgamation of the cow ****, pesticides, and oilfield odorants. Midland and Odessa have the gas/oil smell. Amarillo is all cow ****. Lubbock is some combination of both. Reminds me of the waiting room at an oil change place after bubba took a **** in the little bathroom right next to my chair.

Last edited:

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
But you can see every street light in the next town from 20 miles away when approaching.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Because he wasn’t doing anything wrong.

I'm sorry, but it begs the question: Why was your 80 year old father in law driving if you had much more able bodied drivers in the car? If it happened 3 times, I have to suspect it wasn't their fans that were the problem.

And, no, it didn’t beg your dumb question.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
All good to know, but within the thread, I was kind of hoping for stuff about the football team itself. Are they run or pass oriented? How about their defense? Do they have any star players, etc.?

msu0580

Nov 28, 2021
I did the same in that area back in the 80's for Delta, Seis Pro and Seis X. In my younger days when I was trying to decide what to do with my life and education. Nothing puts your future into perspective quite like swinging a machete for a seismograph company in the Summer or detonating underground dynamite off a airboat in the marshes of Louisiana during December. My experiences were limited to mostly east Texas and south Louisiana

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login