A more credible Big 10 rumor

patdog

May 28, 2007

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The Oregon, Washington, FSU and Clemson rumor was obviously just a fantasy someone posted for whatever reason. A more credible rumor is that on Wednesday the Big 10 begun exploratory discussions with Oregon, Washington, Stanford & Cal. This one is believable (and I'd be surprised if they didn't do this). Whether they'll follow through with 2 or all 4, who knows?

Sources: Big Ten has begun preliminary talks to potentially add Oregon, Washington, Cal and Stanford (yahoo.com)
What is your scheduling with 20 teams? 2 10-team divisions with a 9 game round robin, then a championship game?
While you don't have much cross pollination, I think that might actually be a cool idea? It would make your championship pretty important, and kinda Rose-Bowlish. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska to the 'West Division'?

Reactions: Dawgg

patdog

May 28, 2007
What is your scheduling with 20 teams? 2 10-team divisions with a 9 game round robin, then a championship game?
While you don't have much cross pollination, I think that might actually be a cool idea? It would make your championship pretty important, and kinda Rose-Bowlish. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska to the 'West Division'?
Heck if I know. The Big 10 doesn't even really know how they're going to integrate USC & UCLA yet, much less 2 or 4 other West Coast schools. They may very well just pass on all 4 at least for now, knowing there's little risk the SEC would jump in and take them and they could get them later if they want to. May could do a rotation with 1 permanent opponent, then a group of 4 semi-permanent where you'd play 2 of the 4 each year, then rotate 6 of the remaining 14. This would give the West Coast schools 3 West Coast games each year.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The Oregon, Washington, FSU and Clemson rumor was obviously just a fantasy someone posted for whatever reason. A more credible rumor is that on Wednesday the Big 10 begun exploratory discussions with Oregon, Washington, Stanford & Cal. This one is believable (and I'd be surprised if they didn't do this). Whether they'll follow through with 2 or all 4, who knows?

Sources: Big Ten has begun preliminary talks to potentially add Oregon, Washington, Cal and Stanford (yahoo.com)
Unsurprising.

I've long thought that Stanford (considered an afterthought in many realignment scenarios) is highly likely to find a Power 5 Four landing spot because it has almost as much money as the University of Texas system.

Cal ain't chopped liver either-- and they can be the Cardinal's traveling partner.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I would do no divisions, nine conference games, one permanent rival, and rotate the rest.

You would play each team every 2-3 years. Compare that to the current 14-team SEC: The last time we played South Carolina, Obama was president.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login