A question for folks who want Novak to be named women’s basketball coach…

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Did you want Mississippi State to make Gary Henderson the permanent head baseball coach after the 2018 season?

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
No. Not even close to the same situation.

Our level of tradition and fan support is one of the best in America in baseball. In women's basketball, we had a good run under Schaefer, but we weren't a top 50 program before him, and we quickly went back to not being one the minute we stopped being good. Compare that to us still being near the top of attendance in college baseball during the 2008-2010 where we were one of the worst teams in the SEC.

Beyond that, Novak has been a winner in the past, not at the D1 level or anything, but still won a whole lot more than he lost at Bethel. Henderson was a very mediocre coach at Kentucky. We had every reason to think we would hire someone better than Henderson in 2019, given our history and fan support, but unless we're willing to do like LSU and write a big check, I think it's very likely that we hire someone better than Novak this year.

Finally, Novak's job this year has been much more impressive. Cohen and Cannizaro recruited well, and the team was coming off back-to-back Super Regional appearances. Before Cann resigned, we had every reason to think we would compete for Omaha, and only changed our mind when we were bad the first few weeks and dug ourselves into a hole. Conversely, nobody thought Novak had any chance of leading us to the NCAA Tournament the day NMP resigned. Note that we only have 1 contributor (Myah Taylor) even left from the Schaefer years.

Last edited:

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Right now, our women's basketball program is in the toilet. The baseball program was pretty well off and had a bright future. If Novak can recruit, I see a bright future.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
No. Not even close to the same situation.

Our level of tradition and fan support is one of the best in America in baseball. In women's basketball, we had a good run under Schaffer, but we weren't a top 50 program before him, and we quickly went back to not being one the minute we stopped being good. Compare that to us still being near the top of attendance in college baseball during the 2008-2010 where we were one of the worst teams in the SEC.

Beyond that, Novak has been a winner in the past, not at the D1 level or anything, but still won a whole lot more than he lost at Bethel. Henderson was a very mediocre coach at Kentucky. We had every reason to think we would hire someone better than Henderson in 2019, given our history and fan support, but unless we're willing to do like LSU and write a big check, I think it's very likely that we hire someone better than Novak this year.

So let me get this straight. People lost their **** about hiring Penson who was a Final Four player and won at Old Dominion but now we should hand the job to Novak because he won big at BETHEL? Gtfoh.

Feb 23, 2008
Well for one, Henderson wasn’t working with 7 players. He had a hell of a roster. Young but a hell of a roster. 3 future first round picks. And I’m not even counting Tanner Allen, Mangum, or Rowdey.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
So let me get this straight. People lost their **** about hiring Penson who was a Final Four player and won at Old Dominion but now we should hand the job to Novak because he won big at BETHEL? Gtfoh.

What? Most people thought McCray was a solid hire on the day it was announced.

Novak, on the other hand, has proven he can win in the SEC, even when at a disadvantage.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Rosebowl was rather outspoken that he wouldn’t get the job due to a lack of recruiting connections.

If Matthew Mitchell isn’t the guy, I would be fine with Novak.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Right now, our women's basketball program is in the toilet. The baseball program was pretty well off and had a bright future. If Novak can recruit, I see a bright future.

Do you realize that the ESPN bracketologist Charlie Creme had us in his last 4 in the NCAA tournament BEFORE today's Ole Miss win?

After all they've been through this season, a bit more respect may be in order reverend.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Do you realize that the ESPN bracketologist Charlie Creme had us in his last 4 in the NCAA tournament BEFORE today's Ole Miss win?

After all they've been through this season, a bit more respect may be in order reverend.

Of course we all realize that, and it's a testament to what Novak has done for us this year.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Trap question for many on this board. The loudest barkers will likely be those who know you've asked a question that will reveal their hypocrisy

The louder the bark...the bigger the hypocrite (Down voters included)

#RulesForTheeNotMe

Last edited:

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
Rosebowl was rather outspoken that he wouldn’t get the job due to a lack of recruiting connections.

He can fix that with one or two outstanding assistant coaching hires. The man has proved he can flat out coach. Our gameplay against Ole Miss's size (Shakira Austin) and the press was excellent. Austin got a ton of points but she should have had about 50 due to our size. And yes we turned it over against the press but not near as many as we could have had we not been prepared.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

I do like Novak’s coaching skills but I don’t think they will be enough…

…for one thing as shown here, he does not have a big NCAA D1 Womens Profile. He’s certainly well respected & kudos to Penson for hiring him as an assistant. Extremely smart move on her account.

I think RoseBowl is Right.

I don’t think Novak will be permanent head coach. I hope Cohen takes care of him— maybe makes sure he maintains an assistant coaching gig if he and the new head coach want it or have a special projects job for him while Novak searches for a new position.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012

I disagree. We were in the toilet last year under NMP, and likely would have been again this year because she would not have had the stones to deal with the Rickea Jackson situation. This atmosphere in the locker room would have continued to fester, and we would surely be in the toilet at this stage of the season.

Conversely, coach Novak has really elevated this team against all reasonable expectations. We don't know if the man can recruit at an SEC level, but one thing is beyond question - the man can flat-out coach on the floor. And it is beyond debate as to how hard the ladies play for him. I think he absolutely deserves the job if he wants it.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

From what I've seen of their upcoming schedule if they can just hold serve at home they should be in the tournament.

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010
We saw NMP absolutely **** the bed with a loaded roster. Vic takes that same roster to the Elite 8. NMP 17n dropped a thermonuclear bomb on a top 6 National program. We have seen Novak extract 110% from his depleted roster. Heck, Novak has exposed Howland and NMP as frauds. Not sure if Novak even wants the job, but he darn sure deserves consideration. At a minimum he would be a great asset as an assistant coach who can actually…coach.

QUOTE=047Dog;2019859]So let me get this straight. People lost their **** about hiring Penson who was a Final Four player and won at Old Dominion but now we should hand the job to Novak because he won big at BETHEL? Gtfoh.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
I disagree. We were in the toilet last year under NMP, and likely would have been again this year because she would not have had the stones to deal with the Rickea Jackson situation. This atmosphere in the locker room would have continued to fester, and we would surely be in the toilet at this stage of the season.

Conversely, coach Novak has really elevated this team against all reasonable expectations. We don't know if the man can recruit at an SEC level, but one thing is beyond question - the man can flat-out coach on the floor. And it is beyond debate as to how hard the ladies play for him. I think he absolutely deserves the job if he wants it.

You're right. I should have said they were in the toilet and still should be, but Novak has done an outstanding job.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
It’s a tough thing to speculate on, because I’m not sure how marketable our job is right now. I always don’t know how much Cohen is willing to commit.

If the options are Novak, Old Dominion HC or a Dawn Staley assistant - I’m fine with Novak. Mitchell is at the top of the list though.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
What? Most people thought McCray was a solid hire on the day it was announced.

Novak, on the other hand, has proven he can win in the SEC, even when at a disadvantage.

Most thought it was a meh hire. Plus, we all know Cohen screws up that first hire every damn time.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Penson gets a lot of credit from me for making Novak an assistant— and she might deserve even more than that.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You are equating Mississippi State womens basketball with Mississippi State baseball?

Seriously?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It was an awesome hire on paper. Penson just was unfortunate in that she followed a transformational coach in Vic.

I think she could have done better if not for her health issues. Her hiring of Novak as an assistant shows that she knows and judges talent very well.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
It was an awesome hire on paper. Penson just was unfortunate in that she followed a transformational coach in Vic.

I think she could have done better if not for her health issues. Her hiring of Novak as an assistant shows that she knows and judges talent very well.
She quit. It was an excuse.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Yeah maybe Penson should be the assistant and recruit while Novak handles the big person job.

Last edited:

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The scene on the floor after today’s game sold it for me. The girls love playing for him and he loves coaching them. If he can recruit, or hires a couple of good recruiting assistants, give him the job.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Agreed.

I think her Novak hire showed she was on the cusp of turning things around but unfortunately her health issues came up and her priority was getting herself healthy— as it should be.

Feb 12, 2013
I hope that no woman in your family or one you love has to go through what NMP has these past few months. Really lousy thing to say behind a keyboard.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
Agreed.

I think her Novak hire showed she was on the cusp of turning things around but unfortunately her health issues came up and her priority was getting herself healthy— as it should be.

Really hypothetical question here - would NMP have let Novak coach this style of play had she not had to step down for health reasons? And what would she have done about Rickea? If she had been allowed to stay on the team, we probably wouldn't be where we are now. NMP would have been a tough situation there.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login