A question for folks who want Novak to be named women’s basketball coach…

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
At this point, I'd be willing to offer him the men's job if Cohen hires someone else for the women's job.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
No. Not even close to the same situation.

Our level of tradition and fan support is one of the best in America in baseball. In women's basketball, we had a good run under Schaefer, but we weren't a top 50 program before him, and we quickly went back to not being one the minute we stopped being good. Compare that to us still being near the top of attendance in college baseball during the 2008-2010 where we were one of the worst teams in the SEC.

Beyond that, Novak has been a winner in the past, not at the D1 level or anything, but still won a whole lot more than he lost at Bethel. Henderson was a very mediocre coach at Kentucky. We had every reason to think we would hire someone better than Henderson in 2019, given our history and fan support, but unless we're willing to do like LSU and write a big check, I think it's very likely that we hire someone better than Novak this year.

Finally, Novak's job this year has been much more impressive. Cohen and Cannizaro recruited well, and the team was coming off back-to-back Super Regional appearances. Before Cann resigned, we had every reason to think we would compete for Omaha, and only changed our mind when we were bad the first few weeks and dug ourselves into a hole. Conversely, nobody thought Novak had any chance of leading us to the NCAA Tournament the day NMP resigned. Note that we only have 1 contributor (Myah Taylor) even left from the Schaefer years.

This…. No way you can compare our expectations for baseball to women’s basketball

dawgphd

May 16, 2008
I've read a lot about Novak's last of experience/coneections. Need to hire sitting head coach etc etc

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Didn't our current AD have zero business or AD experience prior to being named AD sans a honorary title and few tag along meetings he attended with his buddy?

Allegedly just a well executed plan by him, his predecessor and a booster to bull rush him into the job.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This…. No way you can compare our expectations for baseball to women’s basketball

The ultimate goal of each and every program in athletics should be to compete for national championships.

Baseball and Women’s Basketball are the two sports sponsored by the university that have been national title finalists multiple times.

If we believe we deserve the best in baseball, why should we settle and not strive to do better in other sports?

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
The ultimate goal of each and every program in athletics should be to compete for national championships.

Baseball and Women’s Basketball are the two sports sponsored by the university that have been national title finalists multiple times.

If we believe we deserve the best in baseball, why should we settle and not strive to do better in other sports?

I would not consider Novak settling because he has proven himself on the job to get the maximum out of the team he was given. If we hire someone else I will have no clue what we will get just like the situation with NMP when she was supposedly the 'best available'.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008

Yep, our baseball program is way bigger than any one coach whereas the eliteness of our WBB program was directly tied to Vic Schaefer. The status of our WBB program left when Schaefer left.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Woefully forgotten in this WBB argument is what Sharon Fanning built for 17 seasons.

This program had minimal success before her arrival. Vic wasn't starting from scratch

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I wouldn’t describe it as settling for Novak, he certainly seems to be improving the team. However, If we feel we can hire someone better then we should do it. But it’s a matter of resources that makes it where you can’t compare the 2. Our baseball program is second to none. We are willing to do what is necessary to have the best of everything in baseball. Spending money on facilities, coaches, assistant coaches. I don’t think we can say that in womens basketball.

Sep 15, 2009
no it's not. People are wanting to hire him for coaching other coaches recruits and pay no mind to whether or not he can recruit or not. We cannot afford and "Well let's see if he can recruit" because what if he can't? We can't afford any chance to get further and further behind.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Exactly. So many people are treating Vic like Polk and they forget previous contributions.

This place is so full of Chicken Littles.

And the irony is that a lot of folks didn’t treat Polk like Polk when he returned because they didn’t want to settle.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I wouldn’t describe it as settling for Novak, he certainly seems to be improving the team. However, If we feel we can hire someone better then we should do it. But it’s a matter of resources that makes it where you can’t compare the 2. Our baseball program is second to none. We are willing to do what is necessary to have the best of everything in baseball. Spending money on facilities, coaches, assistant coaches. I don’t think we can say that in womens basketball.
We are willing to do what’s necessary to have the best of everything in baseball, when 90% of NCAA is willing to do basically nothing. It has produced one National title. Personally I would prefer we invest more $ on football. Football pays the bills and we need to strive to be a top 20 program. It’s not guaranteed that the SEC and its $$$ will be here in 10 years. We need to strive to be a top 20 program so that if/when the SEC no longer exist, we are a program that is not on the outside looking in to whatever Super Conference that is formed.
That being said, we should have plenty of money to hire a decent WBB and MBB coach.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Agreed. 100 percent.

By the way, this is a great longer answer. I hope to see more of this.

Internet Cowboy

Aug 30, 2012
So let me get this straight. People lost their **** about hiring Penson who was a Final Four player and won at Old Dominion but now we should hand the job to Novak because he won big at BETHEL? Gtfoh.

Maybe...just maybe...you could compare Nikki's first year at MSU with Novak's and see who did what, and with less talent.
And the great Pat Summit would take her coaches to go see Novak run practices and learn from what he did in practice.

operch

Aug 22, 2012
Did you want Mississippi State to make Gary Henderson the permanent head baseball coach after the 2018 season?

Would you bet your, "life," that if we do not retain Novak, we will hire a coach as good as the baseball coach has been?

operch

Aug 22, 2012
no it's not. People are wanting to hire him for coaching other coaches recruits and pay no mind to whether or not he can recruit or not. We cannot afford and "Well let's see if he can recruit" because what if he can't? We can't afford any chance to get further and further behind.

In reality are you not taking a chance either way? In reality isn't that chance 50%?

operch

Aug 22, 2012
It was an awesome hire on paper. Penson just was unfortunate in that she followed a transformational coach in Vic.

I think she could have done better if not for her health issues. Her hiring of Novak as an assistant shows that she knows and judges talent very well.

The Plandemic didn't help her any, either.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I think Novak deserves an opportunity after what he has done this year with the circumstances that the team has faced. The man may also be able to recruit, we don't know. I don't believe you can compare our baseball team to the Wbb team. MSU has had a baseball following for over 30 years, wbb less than 10. There is no question the man can coach and the players love him. That in itself is going to be a draw for recruits. If he can bring on a good group of assistance it may work out.

wrapit

Nov 30, 2008
Re: Novak and Recrutitng ....

Are there not signs to date on his recruiting ability? I mean, isn't recruiting all year round? Do we have commits? don't we have a nice player from Meridian committed? Is that his work on previous coach's?

I think Novak deserves an opportunity after what he has done this year with the circumstances that the team has faced. The man may also be able to recruit, we don't know. I don't believe you can compare our baseball team to the Wbb team. MSU has had a baseball following for over 30 years, wbb less than 10. There is no question the man can coach and the players love him. That in itself is going to be a draw for recruits. If he can bring on a good group of assistance it may work out.

Sep 15, 2009
How so? IF we can get a coach that has been in and around the WBB circuit AS A WBB HEAD COACH and has connections AND has recruited well there vs a man who came in from a men's program to be an assistant and is now the head coach. How are both equal risks at about 50%. Please please explain

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
The young lady from Meridian (Debreasha Powe) is the only one I see committed right now. I would imagine if the excitement around this team continues recruits will definitely start looking our way.

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
Are we not sure that Cohen made him the interim as a job interview? He chose Novak for a reason, maybe that was one of them.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
The young lady from Meridian (Debreasha Powe) is the only one I see committed right now. I would imagine if the excitement around this team continues recruits will definitely start looking our way.

I do not see how any reasonable person could expect coach Novak to be a really impactful recruiter as long as his title starts with the word "Interim;" I mean, what does the man have to sell at this point? He's done a great job but he can't sell that beyond the end of the current season. Unless it's a young lady who just happens to love MSU, such as the girl from Meridian, he sure ain't convincing mom and dad that he's going to be there this fall when their daughter arrives on campus.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
We saw NMP absolutely **** the bed with a loaded roster. Vic takes that same roster to the Elite 8. NMP 17n dropped a thermonuclear bomb on a top 6 National program. We have seen Novak extract 110% from his depleted roster. Heck, Novak has exposed Howland and NMP as frauds. Not sure if Novak even wants the job, but he darn sure deserves consideration. At a minimum he would be a great asset as an assistant coach who can actually…coach.

QUOTE=047Dog;2019859]So let me get this straight. People lost their **** about hiring Penson who was a Final Four player and won at Old Dominion but now we should hand the job to Novak because he won big at BETHEL? Gtfoh.
[/QUOTE]

NMP . . . Fresh as Hail.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I would have had no problem if Cohen had kept Henderson after the CWS run. But the truth is there were a number of elite coaches who were going to consider an offer from State. We ended up with a damn good one.

On the WBB side, and I don't follow it enough, I don't suspect there are that many if any elite coaches out there that would consider taking the Head Coaching job at MSU. Vic was a nobody - almost a nobody - before he came here and we got really lucky because he turned out to be a great coach for us.

Novak is likely a better hire and with a higher ceiling than anyone else we could bring. He can build a recruiting network.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I don’t think anything proved or showed she was on the cusp of turning it around. No evidence of that whatsoever.

Possible? Sure but nothing to back it up.

At this point Novak was a much better hire than NMP.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I am pretty sure I was on the record in 2018 as saying only hire Henderson if he wins a national title, which he dang near did. One more win against OSU and he would’ve gotten an Arkansas team in the Finals that we swept in the regular season.

I have barely watched any of the women’s games this year and I’m also not sure what our candidate pool even would be. Novak may stand out above other candidates in the mix, whereas Henderson didn’t really.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login