A series of unfortunate events

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We won 9 games in 2022. Had Leach not died we'd be coming off a 9 win 2023 season. This season may have been down, but not to this level.

It is a series of unfortunate events, Keenum is most to blame for not doing a real coaching search after Leach's passing....well as someone posted yesterday, Leach's physician is really the most to blame...

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024
I blame Cohen. We could have and should have done better than Joe ******* Moorhead when Mullen bailed. The series of unfortunate events that you are referring to never happen if we had gotten that right. Moorhead squandered what was probably the most talented team across the board that Mississippi State has ever had and it was at that point that the instability started.

ETA - I also think Cohen is the primary reason that we are behind on the 8 ball as it pertains to NIL. Getting undressed by Toledo tells me that our problems go far beyond talent and experience, BUT you cant objectively say that NIL is not part of our problem.

ETA a 2nd Time - With all of that being said, Cohen is gone and it is in Kennum, Selmon, and Lebby's job description to get this **** right. So, hop to it fellas. This is why you get paid as well as you do.

Last edited:

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
We won 9 games in 2022. Had Leach not died we'd be coming off a 9 win 2023 season. This season may have been down, but not to this level.

It is a series of unfortunate events, Keenum is most to blame for not doing a real coaching search after Leach's passing....well as someone posted yesterday, Leach's physician is really the most to blame...
Leach passing is half the story. The transition didnt have to be full blown good ole boy jackfoolery

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
When Crotch34 was giddy about Officer Barbrady’s vaunted offense, we should have all been afraid.
Yes guys like him are the booster mentality that killed this program. It was all about access and leach cut off their access. Well they had their boy brad paterson carrying out their orders and look at us now.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I blame Cohen. We could have and should have done better than Joe ******* Moorhead when Mullen bailed. The series of unfortunate events that you are referring to never happen if we had gotten that right. Moorhead squandered what was probably the most talented team across the board that Mississippi State has ever had and it was at that point that the instability started.
Concur, but Leach had cleaned up and stabilized the program.

A good hire coming off of Mullen would certainly been great, that team was a 10 win team for sure.

birdawg

Aug 13, 2009
Cohen engrained a cutesy hiring philosophy for football. He thought we had to be different for some reason.

No, you just hire a proven winner and pay them.

Reactions: Maroon13 and patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That was rooted in Cohen's obsession with tinkering and trying to show that he is smarter than everyone else...
Cohen’s approach is exactly what we needed during this era, and our fanbase was too stupid to see it. Yeah, he missed on Moorhead. It happens. He corrected it, and stuck with his approach. We weren’t going to the playoff in 2018 anyway.

Doing it your way (or rather, @birdawg) is why we are where we are.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Not sure who all we went after, but our top 3 choices all failed miserably. Jeremy Pruitt lasting the longest.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
I blame the boosters that made cohen AD. They are the reason we are MS state
This. When that happened I knew we were going to take a step back in both our baseball coach and our AD. Que the Lemonhead bitches to tell me that “Lemon won a Natty and that makes him better than Cohen.” Cohen built that baseball program. Lemonhead can’t get us to a Super without Cohen/Cann’s players. Cohen, the coach, was great. Cohen, the AD, not so much.

Reactions: Corby.sixpack

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
ETA - I also think Cohen is the primary reason that we are behind on the 8 ball as it pertains to NIL. Getting undressed by Toledo tells me that our problems go far beyond talent and experience, BUT you cant objectively say that NIL is not part of our problem.

I'm not saying we've been great with NIL, but NIL has nothing to do with losing to Toledo & Arizona State as neither of those schools are ahead of us in NIL. Toledo isnt in the same stratosphere as us in regard to NIL.

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024
I'm not saying we've been great with NIL, but NIL has nothing to do with losing to Toledo & Arizona State as neither of those schools are ahead of us in NIL. Toledo isnt in the same stratosphere as us in regard to NIL.
I agree - I said that getting beat like a rented mule by Toledo tells us the problem is more than just talent,.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
You must have been sitting behind me last night. I swear I heard Moorhead's name 4-5x last night. Then here it is again today.....

I have no idea what Joe Moorhead has to do with anything we see today in regard to State football.

Reactions: Dawgzilla2

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You must have been sitting behind me last night. I swear I heard Moorhead's name 4-5x last night. Then here it is again today.....

I have no idea what Joe Moorhead has to do with anything we see today in regard to State football.
Agree, all the issues with Moorhead were corrected quickly because Cohen did the right thing and quickly fired him, even though Keenum did not want to.

Reactions: Maroon13

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014

Pretty much agree. I think Keenum panicked after Leach's death since recruiting season was right at our doorstep and he thought continuity was the best thing at that time. And yeah, I admit I kind of felt the same way. Maybe we should have just sacrificed that recruiting class and conducted a thorough search to find the best coach we could. And if we are honest with ourselves I'm sure most here felt the same way.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Pretty much agree. I think Keenum panicked after Leach's death since recruiting season was right at our doorstep and he thought continuity was the best thing at that time. And yeah, I admit I kind of felt the same way. Maybe we should have just sacrificed that recruiting class and conducted a thorough search to find the best coach we could.
It wasnt keenums panic as much as turning the program over to the good ol boy boosters at that point. High School coaches who were so much smarter than Mike Leach*

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
The series is unfortunate events is we’ve made nothing but bad decisions since fall 2016 when Stricklin left for Gainesville.

Even with Leach…. Look I love the guy but when your final two after the Judge near debacle ended up being Leach and Sark…. Not going with Sark seems like a real missed opportunity.

Reactions: Howiefeltersnstch

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The cost to compete. It's gone up drastically. We aren't the only ones in this conundrum. Winning is nice but at what cost. Things have changed.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
The series is unfortunate events is we’ve made nothing but bad decisions since fall 2016 when Stricklin left for Gainesville.

Even with Leach…. Look I love the guy but when your final two after the Judge near debacle ended up being Leach and Sark…. Not going with Sark seems like a real missed opportunity.
This is a pointless point , well we
Could have had ..,, instead of Leach. We did have Leach and he was a good coach who did well under the circumstances. It was the response to his death that undid the program. A series of blunders and bad decisions. Also much of the vitriol directed at leach came from the same group that jumped in with both feet to staff Arnetts regime and decide upon the offense.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Should we require our coaching candidates in the big sports over 40 years of age to undergo a thorough physical before signing them?. And I would even go so far to say that any candidates with ANY inkling of heart issues or history to spend one day in the hospital and undergo a heart cath. Our university is spending millions of dollars on these guys and losing one like Leach really upsets the entire program. In our case.....for years.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
This is a pointless point , well we
Could have had ..,, instead of Leach. We did have Leach and he was a good coach who did well under the circumstances. It was the response to his death that undid the program. A series of blunders and bad decisions. Also much of the vitriol directed at leach came from the same group that jumped in with both feet to staff Arnetts regime and decide upon the offense.
The program was falling apart slowly when Leach was still alive by virtue of poor recruiting…. His death just sped up the downfall. If Leach were still with us I think it’s pretty clear 2024 and 2025 would’ve been really tough, even still.

• Haha
Reactions: darkhorse_dan

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Pfft! Right bc hiring proven winners got us here I've heard it all now lmfao
Many times the proven winners we can get are niche guys, like Leach. So I guess don’t completely disagree with you.

King Jackie did things differently too.

I still say it should have been Fritz or Malzahn.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
The program was falling apart slowly when Leach was still alive by virtue of poor recruiting…. His death just sped up the downfall.
Yea i know thats the narrative you have to push. Its a false one and its in poor taste. Teams are reloading in one year. Weve blown two plus recruiting classes and staffed two teams
With poor coaching. Bout time for the blame the dead guy stuff to be seen for what it is.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The program was falling apart slowly when Leach was still alive by virtue of poor recruiting…. His death just sped up the downfall. If Leach were still with us I think it’s pretty clear 2024 and 2025 would’ve been really tough, even still.
This is just an outright lie. You need to get out of that MS and maroon bubbles. There are many ways to do things.

These crootin sites have only been around for 20, 25 or so years. You act like all y’all are experts on what’s going on there.

Last edited:

birdawg

Aug 13, 2009
Many times the proven winners we can get are niche guys, like Leach. So I guess don’t completely disagree with you.

King Jackie did things differently too.

I still say it should have been Fritz or Malzahn.
Jackie was literally a proven winner lol. We've got some dumbass fans.

Dan was the exception to the rule. Jackie and ML are the only proven winners we've hired in my lifetime and both had success. But yes let's keep hiring OC's with no HC experience and believe we have to be cute with our hires omg

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006

Sark would have been gone in 2021 at the latest.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Jackie was literally a proven winner lol. We've got some dumbass fans.

Dan was the exception to the rule. Jackie and ML are the only proven winners we've hired in my lifetime and both had success. But yes let's keep hiring OC's with no HC experience and believe we have to be cute with our hires omg
I agree with you.

I misinterpreted your post earlier.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Saddens me to say this, but I don't think Saban could win consistently at MSU. He might get us back to a few years like Mullen, but that's about it. However, I'd take that if he were willing to come!

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
I’m not sure why you continue to make up things up.
This is just an outright lie. You need to get out of that MS and maroon bubbles. There are many ways to do things.

These crootin sites have only been around for 20, 25 or so years. You act like all y’all are experts on what’s going on there.
you just continue to make things up about Leach. Truth is he had floated out to a few that he might retire after the bowl game due to health reasons . He couldn’t even tell you who played defense for us and left that recruiting to meathead ZA and super Dave. Oh and how good was that recruiting??? Just look at all those DL that transfered out to powers of USM and Marshall. And they still can’t play at that level.
You are the only fan in the fan base that holds Cohen to some higher standards. He was about to hire Joe Judge before the Giants saved us. Joe Judge.. Leach fell in his lap due to some other people reaching out to his representatives. Cohen did not I repeat Did NOT have this foresight of wisdom you spew about. They guy made one decent higher in his time hear and really it was our MBB network that made the Jan’s hire.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I’m not sure why you continue to make up things up.

you just continue to make things up about Leach. Truth is he had floated out to a few that he might retire after the bowl game due to health reasons . He couldn’t even tell you who played defense for us and left that recruiting to meathead ZA and super Dave. Oh and how good was that recruiting??? Just look at all those DL that transfered out to powers of USM and Marshall. And they still can’t play at that level.
You are the only fan in the fan base that holds Cohen to some higher standards. He was about to hire Joe Judge before the Giants saved us. Joe Judge.. Leach fell in his lap due to some other people reaching out to his representatives. Cohen did not I repeat Did NOT have this foresight of wisdom you spew about. They guy made one decent higher in his time hear and really it was our MBB network that made the Jan’s hire.
Leach didnt know the players names on defense ? Do you have a link to that or any proof ? That a pathetic lie

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
I'd argue that it has everything to do with it. We watched our best RB run over LSU as a USC Trojan. That's NIL/transfer portal. Allegedly we had guys asking for more NIL and faking injuries so they didnt practice preseason. We have a group of hired mercenaries out there - they don't care about Mississippi State. Just make sure the check clears.

Reactions: 85Bears

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'd argue that it has everything to do with it. We watched our best RB run over LSU as a USC Trojan. That's NIL/transfer portal. Allegedly we had guys asking for more NIL and faking injuries so they didnt practice preseason. We have a group of hired mercenaries out there - they don't care about Mississippi State. Just make sure the check clears.
Geez I thought I was negative. You take the cake.

You need to actually talk to people who are involved in the system man. You’ll see that it’s not as much about ONLY money as you seem to think. Some it is, most it’s not.

Ask Toledo’s whole team.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Leach didnt know the players names on defense ? Do you have a link to that or any proof ? That a pathetic lie
Dude it was reported by multiple people. Hell even Paul jones mentioned it just the other day on the pay board. He didn’t even watch the defense usally he was sitting by the QB or WR or OL.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Yea i know thats the narrative you have to push. Its a false one and its in poor taste. Teams are reloading in one year. Weve blown two plus recruiting classes and staffed two teams
With poor coaching. Bout time for the blame the dead guy stuff to be seen for what it is.
Mike Leach passing away was a tragedy and we are worse off for it happening. But I’m sorry, it is just ignoring the obvious to pretend that there weren’t cracks in the foundation. And those cracks have turned into craters in the two years since he passed. But the cracks formed partly under Leach’s watch.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login