According to “sources” Dan Lanning is in Tuscaloosa right now.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
All he's got to do to end the rumors is be seen in Eugene this morning, the ball is in his court

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He'd have to be a fool to take that job, unless they break the bank once again like they did with Saban. Surely, in this age of NIL, they aren't going to push envelope to like 12-13 million?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He'd have to be a fool to take that job, unless they break the bank once again like they did with Saban. Surely, in this age of NIL, they aren't going to push envelope to like 12-13 million?
Why in the world wouldn’t they? They can afford it

And nobody is a fool to take the Bama job….thats utter nonsense. It’s easily the best job in all of college football. They literally have their pick of the litter.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Why in the world wouldn’t they? They can afford it
Doesn't mean they should.

And nobody is a fool to take the Bama job….thats utter nonsense. It’s easily the best job in all of college football. They literally have their pick of the litter.
It was one of the best once Saban took it. But Georgia and LSU are better, in the SEC alone. You could make the case that many others are similar.

So many of you let Saban clould your judgement. Bama is is about to descend back to the pack.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
It's wild to me that Phil Knight hasn't once ponied up to keep a sitting HC. Kelly walked, Taggert walked, Cristobal walked. The guy has more money that he knows what to do with but he refuses to overpay to keep a head coach.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
It's wild to me that Phil Knight hasn't once ponied up to keep a sitting HC. Kelly walked, Taggert walked, Cristobal walked. The guy has more money that he knows what to do with but he refuses to overpay to keep a head coach.
It’s been my experience that wealthy people who actually earned their wealth aren’t very foolish with their money

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
It’s been my experience that wealthy people who actually earned their wealth aren’t very foolish with their money
Sure. But does Phil Knight want to see Oregon win a natty before he dies? If he does, he's going to have to pony up for a coach. But maybe it's not a priority for him.

Reactions: columbiadawg2

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Supposedly in addition to the $20mil buyout, there's a $30mil nike stock bonus if Lanning completes his contract. At at any rate Oregon is "plug and play" as far a HCs, if Lanning leaves they will be on their 5th coach since 2009. All have been successful. Oregon is truly a stepping stone. They'll be on to DeBoar.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Doesn't mean they should.

It was one of the best once Saban took it. But Georgia and LSU are better, in the SEC alone. You could make the case that many others are similar.

So many of you let Saban clould your judgement. Bama is is about to descend back to the pack.
LSU and Georgia aren’t better jobs than Alabama. That’s crazy. Alabama is the number one job in college football. They won like eight legitimate national championships before Saban even got there.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
LSU and Georgia aren’t better jobs than Alabama. That’s crazy. Alabama is the number one job in college football. They won like eight legitimate national championships before Saban even got there.
The only advantage I see LSU and Georgia having would be that there are no other SEC teams in their state (for LSU, no Power 4/5 teams at all unless Tulane gets a Big 12 invitation in the next few years) and Georgia has double the population of Alabama, but Alabama is such a national brand that I don't think either of those makes a big difference for them.

That national brand is the real advantage that Nick Saban created at Alabama. Alabama was at its peak while college football was at its peak in terms of media contracts, ratings, attendance, and social media engagement.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The only advantage I see LSU and Georgia having would be that there are no other SEC teams in their state (for LSU, no Power 4/5 teams at all unless Tulane gets a Big 12 invitation in the next few years) and Georgia has double the population of Alabama, but Alabama is such a national brand that I don't think either of those makes a big difference for them.

That national brand is the real advantage that Nick Saban created at Alabama. Alabama was at its peak while college football was at its peak in terms of media contracts, ratings, attendance, and social media engagement.
100%. And Alabama was easily a Top 5 job before Saban ever arrived. He brought in more money, prestige, and exposure to that program than any collegiate sports team has ever had. Substantially raised an already high ceiling.

Reactions: Dawgg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think Georgia is better at this point from a resources, culture, future perspective.

Test #1: Choose the most recognizable helmet:

IMG_5558.jpeg
IMG_5559.jpeg
IMG_5562.jpeg
IMG_5560.jpeg
IMG_5561.jpeg

Test #2: Choose the most recognizable logo:

IMG_5563.jpeg

IMG_5565.jpeg

Test #3: Finish the following sentence with the most correct answer:

“Its the same typical BS we have to always deal with when playing ________, have to beat both them and the officials”

A) Alabama
B) Georgia
C) Anyone else

THAT’s why Alabama is the mountaintop job in college football (and possibly in all of football). There’s a history, brand awareness exclusivity, and aura of invincibility that no one else will ever have.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Test #1: Choose the most recognizable helmet:

View attachment 504365
View attachment 504366
View attachment 504367
View attachment 504368
View attachment 504370

Test #2: Choose the most recognizable logo:

View attachment 504372

View attachment 504373

Test #3: Finish the following sentence with the most correct answer:

“Its the same typical BS we have to always deal with when playing ________, have to beat both them and the officials”

A) Alabama
B) Georgia
C) Anyone else

THAT’s why Alabama is the mountaintop job in college football (and possibly in all of football). There’s a history, brand awareness exclusivity, and aura of invincibility that no one else will ever have.

You could include this in #2 beside the Crimson one 1705071067450.png
Put them both in B&W and its hard to tell them apart

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Sometimes I wonder how close the way Affleck portrayed Phil in "Air" is to real life. He didn't come across as the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login