Adidas

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Ok... Adidas was founded by a Nazi. It is now a publicly traded company that parted ways with Kanye West after he made some antisemitic comments. So what's your point? You probably think the US is an inherently evil racist country because some of the founding fathers were slave owners.
I do not think the US is inherently evil because some founders owned slaves.
I do think that in today's lens, many founders were inherently racist since, well that should be self explanatory.
But I do not think the US is forever inherently racist due to laws created nearly 250 yeas ago.

In the time since the founders set up this country, we have shown that we can continue to treat and protect people differently depending on the color of their skin and other innate physical characteristics.
Again though, that doesn't mean I think the US is inherently evil or racist. There is nothing inherent about it - we just continue to elect and/or support legislators and politicians that create and justify some disgusting laws.

But none of the above has much to do with my prior post. It was meant to highlight how absurd it is to take some vocal stand against the founder of one brand because that brand chose to push the message of equality(even if it was poorly executed) when nothing is said about the founder of another brand who was found guilty of profiting from his Nazi support.

The sins of the past needn't continue forever.
I wear Adidas even though it's founder sided with Hitler 90 years ago.

Reactions: BulldawgFan

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I’m not a Boomer, but I bugs the crap out of me when people say it. Makes me think they must be a soy boy or a bran muffin. It’s a weak argument from people who “identify”. And if you don’t like this get the 17 off my grass, take that ear ring out of your ear and get a haircut.

bannerdawg

Aug 15, 2013
Adolf Dassler joined the Nazi Party shortly after Hitler became Chancellor. Dassler profited by supplying Nazi youth organizations with shoes and coached.
After the war, Dassler was found to be guilty of profiting from actions of the Nazi Party, which was the second highest category of guilt. He was expected to go to prison for years due to his alliance, support, and profiting.

But yeah, lets all speak out and take a stand against wearing Nike because Knight is a 'West Coast liberal' and they jumped on the Kaepernick bandwagon.
Totally reasonable.***
Nah, stick with Adidas

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
I do not think the US is inherently evil because some founders owned slaves.
I do think that in today's lens, many founders were inherently racist since, well that should be self explanatory.
But I do not think the US is forever inherently racist due to laws created nearly 250 yeas ago.

In the time since the founders set up this country, we have shown that we can continue to treat and protect people differently depending on the color of their skin and other innate physical characteristics.
Again though, that doesn't mean I think the US is inherently evil or racist. There is nothing inherent about it - we just continue to elect and/or support legislators and politicians that create and justify some disgusting laws.

But none of the above has much to do with my prior post. It was meant to highlight how absurd it is to take some vocal stand against the founder of one brand because that brand chose to push the message of equality(even if it was poorly executed) when nothing is said about the founder of another brand who was found guilty of profiting from his Nazi support.

The sins of the past needn't continue forever.
I wear Adidas even though it's founder sided with Hitler 90 years ago.
Back to my original comment... I do not knowingly purchase items produced by a company that is not aligned with my beliefs. I am spending my dollars in the present. If I were spending them in the 1940's I would make my decisions based on things going on at that time. As far as know Adidas as a company is not supporting anything I disagree with. I know Nike as a company DOES support things that are not aligned with my beliefs. You made a comment about something in the past that is NO LONGER TRUE and tried to equate it to something in the present that IS true today. Your comparison attempting to say my position is naive in order to try and validate promotion of a woke company is absurd.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
If people stopped buying everything they disagree with truly, they would be naked and live in a box and be hungry. Most all companies donate or have stances that ultra right wing and ultra left wing can't stand.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
If people stopped buying everything they disagree with truly, they would be naked and live in a box and be hungry. Most all companies donate or have stances that ultra right wing and ultra left wing can't stand.
That's the problem with companies that are ultra anything. Publicly traded companies should look out for their shareholders and not push any political agenda. If CEO's or board members are taking political stances that hurt the stock price, they are neglecting their fiduciary duties and should be replaced.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I know Nike as a company DOES support things that are not aligned with my beliefs.
What does Nike support that are not aligned with your beliefs?

With Kaepernick...
They supported the push for racial equality.
They supported the goal of ending police brutality.
They supported a general speaking out against injustice.
They supported peaceful protesting.
They supported a person who donated to multiple causes that work to improve communities, and continued to financially support local community organizations even well after he was out of the League.

I am sure you support these things too. Is it really that you just disagree with who they supported vs what they supported?
The guy is a devout Christian, has never been arrested, is a father and in a long term relationship, and continues to try to help improve communities around the country.

If you arent referring to Kaepernick when you say Nike supports things that are not aligned with your beliefs, what are you actually referring to? It cant be 'China' since Nike is simply no different from most any other global brand. It cant be the old 'sweat shops!' issue since again, thats no different from most any other global clothing brand and I am also confident you have no idea of current details.
I really hope you dont try to compare Kaepernick not being dropped by Nike with Kanye being dropped by Adidas. Good lord thatd be dumb to read.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That's the problem with companies that are ultra anything. Publicly traded companies should look out for their shareholders and not push any political agenda. If CEO's or board members are taking political stances that hurt the stock price, they are neglecting their fiduciary duties and should be replaced.
I agree with you but unfortunately a lot don't and a lot donate to different political groups and have their leanings just human bias and nature.

Jordan has it right. RePublicans buy sneakers too.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What does Nike support that are not aligned with your beliefs?

With Kaepernick...
They supported the push for racial equality.
They supported the goal of ending police brutality.
They supported a general speaking out against injustice.
They supported peaceful protesting.
They supported a person who donated to multiple causes that work to improve communities, and continued to financially support local community organizations even well after he was out of the League.

I am sure you support these things too. Is it really that you just disagree with who they supported vs what they supported?
The guy is a devout Christian, has never been arrested, is a father and in a long term relationship, and continues to try to help improve communities around the country.

If you arent referring to Kaepernick when you say Nike supports things that are not aligned with your beliefs, what are you actually referring to? It cant be 'China' since Nike is simply no different from most any other global brand. It cant be the old 'sweat shops!' issue since again, thats no different from most any other global clothing brand and I am also confident you have no idea of current details.
I really hope you dont try to compare Kaepernick not being dropped by Nike with Kanye being dropped by Adidas. Good lord thatd be dumb to read.
They don't support any of that stuff, they were merely trying to sell shoes to the people that do.

Simmer

Jun 21, 2013
Can't support West Coast liberals like Phil Knight. Nothing with Nike or Jordan will ever be worn by this person. I'd rather wear Russell than Nike.
Good thing Adidas USA isn't based out of Portland, OR*****

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
This take reminds me of the stunt DeSantis pulled over the summer where he called for the state's pension manager to consider legal action against AB InBev because he thinks they violated legal duty to their shareholders when they ran a social media campaign with a trans-woman.

Here is how reality works-
If a CEO(or anyone in the Csuite and extended, really) voices an opinion that directly hurts the company's stock price in a sustained manner, sure- the board should look into replacing them.
If its just some short term blip? Nope- that doesnt mean replacing executives is needed.
If a marketing campaign draws criticism? Nope- that doesnt mean replacing executives is needed. It may happen, but no it is not like criticism equals 'neglecting their fiduciary duties'.

A company can run a campaign with the intent to GROW business. If it doesnt work, that doesnt mean they neglected their fiduciary duties.
Good lord.

Anyways, there is this little bit of harsh reality- Nike's stock price. The boycott due to Nike announcing a Kaepernick marketing campaign was in mid-2018, to be clear. This chart shows the stock price shortly before that announcement and ends 3 years later.
3 years of stock prices- did signing Kaepernick hurt Nike's stock? Looking at the chart below, can anyone honestly claim Nike neglected its fiduciary responsibility to shareholders?
If anything, the stock's performance indicates MORE political stances should be taken. Of course that would be an absurd takeway to actually follow.

1701183816317.png

When you are a global company, its pretty tough to claim a single ad campaign is whats responsible for stock dropping for an extended period of time. Heck, even InBev's stock is within 4% of what it was when all Hell broke loose back in April. And thats when you also consider InBev is a global company with a ton of brands- a lot of irons in the fire that can impact stock price.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
They don't support any of that stuff, they were merely trying to sell shoes to the people that do.
Sure, I can accept this perspective. Nike as a brand is willing to assess various current issues and align itself with ones that it thinks will place Nike in a good light and help generate revenue.
Yeah, thats a reasonable take.

Still curious to hear what Nike does support that is not aligned with dogge's beliefs.
If anything, your take would mean Nike's real true driving belief is that they need to do what they think will make them money. But I cant imagine dogge's issue with Nike is that they will pander to groups if they think they can monetize the pandering.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Sure, I can accept this perspective. Nike as a brand is willing to assess various current issues and align itself with ones that it thinks will place Nike in a good light and help generate revenue.

Still curious to hear what Nike does support that is not aligned with dogge's beliefs.
If anything, your take would mean Nike's real true driving belief is that they need to do what they think will make them money. But I cant imagine dogge's issue with Nike is that they will pander to groups if they think they can monetize the pandering.
You know exactly what he's not aligned with, don't be a dick. Kapernick kneeled for the anthem. A lot of people, including me, don't support that stance.

I may or may not buy Nike though. Depends on the circumstance. I buy quality shlt that I need. None of this matters.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Still waiting for these to show up at Campus Bookmart, Maroon & Co, The Lodge, etc in a Maroon & White scheme

1701185236303.png

• Haha
Reactions: Other Kind

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You know exactly what he's not aligned with, don't be a dick. Kapernick kneeled for the anthem. A lot of people, including me, don't support that stance.

I may or may not buy Nike though. Depends on the circumstance. I buy quality shlt that I need. None of this matters.
Ok, so then the issue is that he disagrees with who Nike supported vs what Nike supported.
The comment I responded to was that he disagrees with what Nike supported. I took 'what' to mean the goals/initiatives.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012

1 - Colin Kaepernick's "protest" of kneeling during the anthem was very disrespectful in my opinion. 2 - He has praised Fidel Castro. He said it was because he spent more on education than prisons. (That's easy to do when you kill people that disagree with you instead of locking them up.) 3 - He wants to abolish the police and prisons. None of this is aligned with my beliefs.
Edited to add: Nike supports Kaepernick views by promoting him in their adds. He is not aligned with my beliefs. Therefore, Nike isn't either.

Last edited:

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Can't support West Coast liberals like Phil Knight. Nothing with Nike or Jordan will ever be worn by this person. I'd rather wear Russell than Nike.
I love supporting West Coast Liberals, as they are American. Also, I am not scared everyone will notice I have a small penis and have to cover it up by interjecting politics into every conversation.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The only hat worth wearing is the M over S baseball hat. But that would be true no matter who our apparel company is.
Truth. This hat as a fitted non-adjustable is my holy grail:

Someday, I'll find it. Someday.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I love that this thread about the designs put out by Adidas somehow came down to an argument about whether Nazis, Colin Kaepernick, China, West Coast Liberals, or Oregon is the worst association a company can have.

By the way, true longtime Sixpackers know that it's Oregon (rule 12).***

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login