Advice on becoming a boss.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Realize first they are all people with families, goals, and dreams. You'll identify quickly the ones who could take your job and succeed.
You have 2 options, be fearful of them taking your job and stifle their productivity or build them up so they CAN take your job.

Assuming you're at a company that wants increases in productivity, you should be rewarded for building them up. If not, you still did the right thing and some other company will reward you. Be sure to document all your successes (via data).

my last "corporate" boss gave zero ***** about anyone below him. 10 years later he's in the same spot but most everyone under him has moved on to other companies with better titles and better pay than him.

You might not be able to make a difference but make sure they know you are fighting for them. Example, coach bitching at the ump and getting tossed even though it wasn't a terrible call. They'll work harder for someone they "think" is on their side against the man (those above you). Obviously don't embarrass your superiors in public but standing up for your team in a private conversation will go along way if they know you tried.

on that note, don't bad mouth your superiors to your team, ever. It'll eventually come back to bite you in the ***.

Understand, many of them are better than you at the task at hand. Your job isn't to be the smartest, it's to get your team to solve the problem in the most profitable manner. I worked for and respected several project managers who had absolutely no clue what we did (software development), but they knew what the end goal was and they made sure they cleared the path for us to get there. Always ask them for the solution even if you know the answer.

Don't lambast your employees in front of the team. If they make a mistake, correct them in private. If they continue, meet with them, with your boss. If it persists, you'll have what you need to fire them. If they correct the action then the rest of the team will be none the wiser and the employee won't be pissed at you because you embarrassed them in front of others.

if all else fails, do whatever you think nick saban would do. The man could teach a master class in leadership.
Right, so I pay people under the table and always make sure to cover for the alumni. Got it.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Right, so I pay people under the table and always make sure to cover for the alumni. Got it.

He knows how the system works. You might need to bail out your best engineer one day and sweep it under the rug so you meet the deadline.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
If you have a former boss or colleague that you respect ask them to be your mentor. Good to have someone you can bounce things off of that isn't in your management tree.

When you move up, work-friendship opportunities change. Need to recognize that's the reality. It really is lonely at the top.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Be prepared for more tedious, admin type stuff. I have found that people either love being the boss or hate being the boss. I personally haven’t enjoyed it very much and am making a job change soon that will give me less management duties but a higher pay grade.

At the end of the day, just try to be as transparent as possible in terms of what your expectations are. Be compassionate with your underlings but don’t let yourself get taken advantage of.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
In a few days I will go from being a basic licensed engineer to supervising the work of other engineers. Completely different field. So I will literally be in charge of people who have been doing a job for 20 years that I know very little about.

My biggest fear is becoming a tyrant, like so many of my past bosses, which I why I do not work for them anymore.

I know I need to dress more professional and follow the rules tighter. To lead by example.

But I have not been this fearful of a transition since I gave up pest control and went back to MSU when I was almost 30 years old.

What advice does the six pack have to give me to help me be successful doing this?
First off, congrats!!!

The worst boss I ever had was a guy who had no problem taking credit for the work those of us on his team did while also being more than happy to point the finger at us if things didn't go well. Don't be like that guy. If someone (or a group) on your team does something that higher ups are happy about, make sure they get the credit.

One thing you’ll need to know as you start this position is what your role is. Are you being brought in to keep the ship moving in the right direction or are you being brought in to change course.

If it’s to keep things going, trust your team. They probably know what they’re doing and don’t need someone changing things just to change things. Listen to them when they bring up issues or concerns (especially since you mention that it’s an area you don’t know much about). But also understand that even if your team is right about something that could be done better, that doesn’t mean the higher ups at your company will do anything about it.

If you’re being brought in to change things up, the first thing I would do is have individual meetings with everyone on your team. Try to get an idea of what their roles actually are and what they think the issues are. This might also help you get an idea of who the top performers are and who is just coasting. Then, as you see issues first hand, document everything. It will help when or if you need to either move people around or restructure your team.

Also, as someone else in the thread said, the best approach is to think of your team as working with you, not working for you. Try not to use the word "boss" and try to say "we" way more often than you say "I."

Finally - and I'm sure this will be unpopular - but unless your company has a really good incentive or bonus structure, don't be a hero. And don't ask your team to be heroes. Go in, get done what you need to get done but don't work hours or projects you aren't getting paid for. Same goes for your team. At the end of the day, unplug and go home and spend time with your family, friends, hobbies, etc... Don't go out of your way to make extra money for people higher up in the company if you and/or your team aren't seeing a decent chunk of it.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
What in the tarnation is a KPI or an OKR?
KPI - key performance indicators. These are typically tracking metrics, i.e. >95% on-time work order completion, 100% of measured results are within whatever limits established, <10% of products manufactured without defect, etc. The things you keep track of to see if you're good or bad, and in which areas.

OKR - objectives and key results. These are the overall goals of the department/company, the "what's the overall big thing(s) that are important to us?".

Your KPI's should be tailored to give you an indication of whether or not you're reaching your OKR's. If your KPI's are good but your OKR's not being met, then you need better/different KPI's.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
In a few days I will go from being a basic licensed engineer to supervising the work of other engineers. Completely different field. So I will literally be in charge of people who have been doing a job for 20 years that I know very little about.

My biggest fear is becoming a tyrant, like so many of my past bosses, which I why I do not work for them anymore.

I know I need to dress more professional and follow the rules tighter. To lead by example.

But I have not been this fearful of a transition since I gave up pest control and went back to MSU when I was almost 30 years old.

What advice does the six pack have to give me to help me be successful doing this?

Biggest thing is coming to the realization & then acceptance that you are no longer “one of the guys”. Since you’re a normal human being judging from your post you’ll start out really cool since you don’t want to be the dick boss. That’s a good thing. Over time you’ll settle in to holding people accountable. You get used to filtering excuses, untruths, & fluff and stop feeling guilty for holding those accountable not pulling their weight. Eventually you’ll get to a point where you no longer care if some don’t like working for you because they won’t. Get comfortable in letting your results define you.

mike tice

Sep 30, 2022

Be yourself. Don't look to cast blame on sht that goes wrong. Look to find a solution. Don't pass work that slackers fail to do to your better guys ( this is the hardest for me ). I've been "bossing" for 20 plus and have many friends that " worked for me " who have remained in contact after leaving. I attribute this to not treating them like an a$$hole when mistakes were made. It's easy to be a dick. Take the less easy compassionate route when dealing with mistakes.

Reactions: FQDawg

Big Sheep81

Feb 24, 2008
The first thing you say to a bunch of engineers as their new boss is "Ok, effective today no more designs that require "O" rings........after that it's yellow brick road to success......***

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

I have done almost this exact thing. I am an architect and have worked as an architect for around 10 years before I had an opportunity to be a part owner of a firm. I stepped into the firm with other people there that had more experience than I do and were with the company many more years than I had been. I became the head of production as was my new responsibility as one of the new owners of the firm.

Other than running my own projects over the course of 10 years and working with other professionals on larger projects, I did not know how to manage the production and design of 60 projects a year. But you know what? I didn't have to. All I had to know is that we didn't let work get out of the office unless I was personally satisfied with the standing of the drawings and specifications. I had to be engaged to know if the Business was getting handled. I knew what it would have taken me to get to that level of confidence if I were drawing each line myself. My new job was to make sure everyone else understood what needed to happen day in and day out on each project to get there. Trust that they would get it to that level, and for God's sake check up on them throughout the process. I discussed issues with my team along the way and tried to give them clear guidance on how to manage each issue.

I believe in being clear in my expectations. Tell them I want X done by Y date and it is important because of ABC. Before the due date, check in and make sure they are on task. Take a look a few specific areas of the job to make sure it is getting to the professional level required. Review the entire set prior to issuing to bidders. Do this a few times and the goals start to sink in. Also, let it be known if something is not up to snuff, that bonuses are dictated on how much time I have to spend on the project. Reward those that exceeded expectations beyond their belief. Fight for your staff and they will do the best they can do 80% of the time (none of us are machines).

Know this, all of the problems will find your desk now. Not just some of them, all of them.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Meet with them early on collectively:

1) Ask them what the toughest part of their job is.
2) Ask them if they are missing any tools that they need to do their job.
3) Ask them if there are any current processes that are fundamentally broken.
4) Ask them if there are any sacred cows. Ask them if any of those sacred cows are fundamentally broken.
5) Ask them what is working that absolutely should remain as is.
6) Tell them that you are open to feedback and happy to address any issues they bring. Caveat that by asking that for every issue they bring up to you that they bring 3 possible solutions for the problem. If the idea/solutions are sound, ask them to lead the effort.
7) Tell them that you are there to provide them the tools and support that they need to do their jobs as efficiently and effectively as possible. Then do it.
8) Tell them that you value them growing not just as an employee but as a person. Then prove it through caring about them and who they are as a person just trying to get through life same as you.
9) If there is an elephant in the room regarding your specific experience, method of promotion, etc. address it head on.
10) Tell them you appreciate candor and if something needs to be said for the good of the group/company/product/customer that they should say it.
11) Challenge them to not have meetings after meetings. Refer to 10) and let them know that it is OK to leave a meeting feeling like you didn't get exactly what you wanted, but it is not OK to leave without committing to any established direction.
12) Ask if they have any questions.

After that, meet individually with them and pretty much follow the same script. Some people won't speak out in a crowded room. Some of these people will be your best source of ideas. Some of these people will be the ones that always hold a meeting after the meeting with cohorts to bash whatever was just discussed. Address any individual concerns that you find, even it means telling them you don't have an answer but will do some work on it and then follow up. Then do that.

Best of luck. Leadership can be incredibly rewarding if you have good support above you and if your responsibility is in line with your authority. A lot of your job will be providing support for your team despite any stupidity that goes on above you, to the best of your ability.

ETA: Being a good leader is about asking the right questions, not having all the answers.

Reactions: FQDawg

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023

• Empower your team and always refer to them as a team (or something similar).
  • Listen, Listen, Listen
  • Allow them to make mistakes, but at the same time hold them accountable.
  • Give honest feedback, good employees will take the feedback and grow from it, bad ones will weed themselves out. (This one can be very hard for some. You don't have to be an ***....just honest and willing to help).
  • Find the strengths each of your team members and make sure they are doing a job that coincides with their strengths (you may have hired them to do X but later find out they are great at Y, don't be afraid to change them to Y or incorporate more Y).
  • Understand that your team has a life outside of work and sometimes it spills over - be sympathetic but don't let it linger.
  • Hire smart, hardworking people and let them work......being great at hiring, like everything else is a skill that takes time and practice.
  • Create a culture of hard-work, keeping the standard (this is the standard we expect and if you can't work to this standard then this may not be the right fit for you) and fun (if you / your team don't enjoy your work and environment you / they will not last and the product will show that)

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Extend your life span . DON"T DO IT ! In all sincerity the most important thing is who you will be working for . Sometimes the closer you get to the top the worse the corporate jockeying and backstabbing get. Make sure whoever your boss is has your back. Apparently you've already accepted the job so I'll just wish you the best of luck and just say always keep your antenna up.

Last edited:

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
Do not be afraid to say, “I do not know.”
Earn their respect..do not demand it.

Anon1664467868

Sep 29, 2022
Make sure all understand clearly expectations and goals. Get input from those who report to you. Especially any obstacles you can control that stand in their way of getting the job done. Check in regularly to show you care about their success and to make any course directions that are appropriate. Treat all as professionals and adults. Respect their experience and knowledge. Never believe you will always have the answer to all problems. often Someone on your team may have valuable insight on another employees problem. Don’t be afraid to approach your superiors for direction.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You're going to be a manager of other engineers? As in you are going to have to tell them what to do and how to do it? Bwaaaaahhhhhaaaa.

Spending all day shoving bamboo shoots under my fingernails sounds more fun. God speed and load up on the Evan Williams Bottled in Bond.

Also, if you ever do have one of them admit they were wrong or don't understand something, go buy a lottery ticket asap.
You’ve worked with some bad engineers.

I don’t admit I’m wrong much bc I’m usually not and I usually have something to support that but I do admit it when I’m proven wrong.

I’ve had several engineers work under me. I’ve never told them they were wrong technically bc frankly I don’t really know if they are or aren’t. I’ve definitely corrected behaviors or issues and had no problems doing that.

Most of them are pretty smart and listen, but you do have some absurd engineers out there.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Trust but verify. Don't micromanage. Trust that they are gonna do their jobs correctly but make sure the key items are getting done.

It's always easier to start out being firm and loosen up than starting loose and try to tighten up.

Don't make changes just so you can say you "improved" something. Give yourself time to understand the processes.

Don't be afraid to admit if you don't understand something. Get the ones that know to explain it to you. They'll respect you for the honesty.

Praise in public, discipline in private. Never, ever talk about someone's problems or mistakes in front of their coworkers.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004

If you're supervising people doing a job you don't understand, learn how to ask questions for comprehension. You don't have to understand the details if you can get the big picture. And once you get a basic grasp of the big picture, realize that you still don't know **** about the details. There's nothing worse than a boss that thinks he's figured out something of which he only has a surface level understanding and begins to question everything. If you have to question the work of your team there's a way to do it that doesn't also make them perceive that you're questioning their competence. If your team is competent, learn about their frustrations with process or organization and do your best to help alleviate them. Help them help you.

DawgAmerica

Oct 18, 2013

The First Time Manager. Read. This. Book.

PRAVan1996

Mar 7, 2023
Here are my top five tips on How to be a Good Boss

1. Don't be an *** hole.
2. You don't know everything. It's OK to ask questions. Actually, it's imperative that you ask questions.
3. Both are important but people are more important than processes.
4. Understand that you and your team are all in this together.
5. Don't be an *** hole.

Reactions: hatfieldms
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login