Air Force Game 3 - Must Win?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
In your opinion, who is our toughest OOC series this year (2 or 3 game series)? I have no idea on many of these OOC teams we've scheduled this year.

considering Georgia southern and st Mary’s are both predicted to be awful. It’s Evansville by default

None of it is good. Actually none of the weekend series are even against average competition.

the only game against quality competition we will play in pre sec schedule is southern miss. We honestly should have gone undefeated in the pre conference schedule. That lasted 1 game

Reactions: patdog

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Amani looks like he spent a good bit of time in the weight room this offseason. Thought he was Dakota at the plate for a minute there.

Reactions: HuntDawg

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
considering Georgia southern and st Mary’s are both predicted to be awful. It’s Evansville by default

None of it is good. Actually none of the weekend series are even against average competition.

the only game against quality competition we will play in pre sec schedule is southern miss. We honestly should have gone undefeated in the pre conference schedule. That lasted 1 game
That loss to AF in game 2 was primarily due to our relief pitcher walking 4 guys. The first 2 walks didn't end up hurting us, but the last 2 walks bit us in the butt in the top of the 9th. I think all we needed was one strike to end the game, however turns into a 2 run game winning single.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
That loss to AF in game 2 was primarily due to our relief pitcher walking 4 guys. The first 2 walks didn't end up hurting us, but the last 2 walks bit us in the butt in the top of the 9th. I think all we needed was one strike to end the game, however turns into a 2 run game winning single.
I don't care if we'd have thrown 40 walks. If you hold AF to 3 runs on a Sat game, you should win. I put this one on the bats. That wasn't Skenes out there pitching for AF.

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I don't care if we'd have thrown 40 walks. If you hold AF to 3 runs on a Sat game, you should win. I put this one on the bats. That wasn't Skenes out there pitching for AF.

Can spin it a lot of different ways... the entire weekend that is. Depending on how you want to look at things.

But I do agree, the game Saturday wasnt lost in the 9th inning. It was lost because we ran ourselves out of tons of opportunities, and didnt hit. Easy to blame on it on the 9th inning walks. But should have had a bigger cushion going into the 9th.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I don't care if we'd have thrown 40 walks. If you hold AF to 3 run on a Sat game, you should win. I put this one on the bats. That wasn't Skenes out there pitching for AF.
Edit those walks to include one was a HBP. A HBP, IMO is a worse walk if that's possible. Regardless, we're going to find ourselves in a lot of close games this year that will be decided by 1 or 2 runs. I just wanted us to close out that game since we had a 2-1 lead going into the 9th. Right now, I'm not sure we have a for real closer.......like "GameOver Holder". Maybe we do, but that guy just hasn't had his chance yet. Hopefully, a Landon Sims or Jonathan Holder type will step up soon. Batting is normally slower this time of year. Pitching should be ahead. Not sure what we really have until the SEC schedule starts. Getting Kohler back will be a big plus. Losing him certainly didn't help us this past weekend. Had we issued something even in the neighborhood of 40 walks, AF would have run-ruled us to a 7 inning affair. I get your point though.....you feel we should be scoring 20-25 runs on AF every game.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Edit those walks to include one was a HBP. A HBP, IMO is a worse walk if that's possible. Regardless, we're going to find ourselves in a lot of close games this year that will be decided by 1 or 2 runs. I just wanted us to close out that game since we had a 2-1 lead going into the 9th. Right now, I'm not sure we have a for real closer.......like "GameOver Holder". Maybe we do, but that guy just hasn't had his chance yet. Hopefully, a Landon Sims or Jonathan Holder type will step up soon. Batting is normally slower this time of year. Pitching should be ahead. Not sure what we really have until the SEC schedule starts. Getting Kohler back will be a big plus. Losing him certainly didn't help us this past weekend. Had we issued something even in the neighborhood of 40 walks, AF would have run-ruled us to a 7 inning affair. I get your point though.....you feel we should be scoring 20-25 runs on AF every game.

Yes and we were lucky to score what we scored. I mean we only scored 15 earned runs on the weekend. Air Force made 7 errors and thats being very generous. We had 4 balls scored hits yesterday that were all plays that should have been made. Larry was credited with 2 doubles on the weekend that are both outs. I'd say AF gave us counting the errors, balls scored as hits that were actual errors, and missed double plays.. probably close to 18 extra outs.

A lot of people assuming the hitting will just come around. Ledbetter was our best hitter last season and he's gone, and Clark was an experienced bat. Not to mentio Alford although this board cant stand him, was productive as well with the bat (and got off to a blistering start with UGA). We have to replace all 3.

Hopefully getting Mershon and Kohler back will be a big boost. But our 6-9 hitters just didnt look the part.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login