AKB: Travel advice for Austria

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Lesson #1 of why I don’t travel anywhere during the summer unless I know there is AC.
So, where did you go last summer? Where to this summer? Ever been to Rwanda to see the Gorillas? They don’t have air conditioning in any available guest housing there either.

How about staying in a GLAMP Tent in the middle of the Masai Mara surrounded by giraffes, elephants, ants, lions, etc. where it’s baking at midday but you go out multiple times with a guide between sun up and sun down to see all those animals, sights, nature up close. Etc.

The National Park hotels in Yellowstone do not have AC yet are worth seeing along with the Park. The Old Faithful Inn has no AC but the best access to many of the thermal features in the park.

The tiny little eco lodge on the side of a mountain overlooking the Pacuare River in the Rain Forest of Costa Rica, with only a couple 50 watt light bulbs in the kitchen powered by a water mill in the river, yeah, no AC but luxurious in so many ways. Oh, and BTW, you have to raft in and out to get to the Eco lodge on the Pacuare. The poisonous snakes, birds, massive toads etc. are spectacular.

So let’s hear about the exciting vacations you have taken. Those are just a couple Recent ones where having no AC was no reason for not going.

Where to this summer? What are you doing that’s exciting?

Last edited:
Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
So, where did you go last summer? Where to this summer? Ever been to Rwanda to see the Gorillas? They don’t have air conditioning in any available guest housing there either.

How about staying in a GLAMP Tent in the middle of the Masai Mara surrounded by giraffes, elephants, ants, lions, etc. where it’s baking at midday but you go out multiple times with a guide between sun up and sun down to see all those animals, sights, nature up close. Etc.

The National Park hotels in Yellowstone do not have AC yet are worth seeing along with the Park. The Old Faithful Inn has no AC but the best access to many of the thermal features in the park.

The tiny little eco lodge on the side of a mountain overlooking the Pacuare River in the Rain Forest of Costa Rica, with only a couple 50 watt light bulbs in the kitchen powered by a water mill in the river, yeah, no AC but luxurious in so many ways. Oh, and BTW, you have to raft in and out to get to the Eco lodge on the Pacuare. The poisonous snakes, birds, massive toads etc. are spectacular.

So let’s hear about the exciting vacations you have taken. Those are just a couple Recent ones where having no AC was no reason for not going.

I looked those up, moms would be OUT, 5 star girl that she is. Where to this summer?

Thus Spake Mainer

Oct 13, 2021
Be sure and visit the Vienna suburb of Grinzing, especially if you like white wine, it's a famous wine region. There's also a small cemetery there where the composer Gustav Mahler is buried. The HUGE Central Cemetery should also be a must do. Euro cemeteries are unlike anything in the states, the monuments are works of art.

Reactions: Midnighter

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
Little late to the party, but...

In munich, the sites have been covered. For food, if you like Doner Kebabs/gyros... etc, go to a place called Altin Dilim (Altın Dilim Antep Sofrası Türk Restaurant München (altindilim.de)) and get a Durum Doner. NOT a Doner plate, NOT a doner kebab. a DURUM DONER. and for dessert, get a Knafeh. Wife and I went there for our honeymoon back in '15, ate exactly that, went back again 2 years later and repeated, and have been trying to find something that comes close ever since. Had many Durum's and Knafeh's and nothing comes close to Altin Dilim

If you're gonna go to Linderhof, you're not far from the Ettal Abbey. Really pretty sanctuary and they make their own schnapps and beer

If you're going to do Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau, we enjoyed the Schlossbrauhaus Schwangau. They usually have local Bavarian music, and the food and beer are really good, and the views are really nice. Also, make sure you make the hike up to the Marienbrucke Bridge. When we went on our honeymoon, if you pass the bridge going uphill, there's an old path on the left that takes you even higher. Heard it might be closed now, but if not and you are fit enough, there's an amazing view up there.

Zugspitze is really cool, and not hard to the top. Garmisch is a cool little town at the base of a mountain. beautiful views if you can get to the top to the cafe.

Eagles nest is amazing, IF you get a good cloudless day. When we went, there was a veterans tour from Canada that was up there and a dude from the group was telling me that he had been up there multiple times and it had always been socked in by clouds and fog.

Last edited:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Looks gorgeous. We‘re doing ireland next summer but with a GTI (same) and AC castle accommodations :)

We're in Ireland too for Spring Break; friends are second or third generation American and host a big party at one of the castle/resorts for St. Patrick's Day (yes, we know). So, as a very proud Irish-American, I'm going on my first trip ever along with the family. We'll be in Galway and Dublin for about a week.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Be sure and visit the Vienna suburb of Grinzing, especially if you like white wine, it's a famous wine region. There's also a small cemetery there where the composer Gustav Mahler is buried. The HUGE Central Cemetery should also be a must do. Euro cemeteries are unlike anything in the states, the monuments are works of art.
It’s nice to visit places where your heroes walked. I was able to visit Yeats’s Tower near Galway, definitely bucket list. I’ll be in Germany and Zurich in September and am looking forward to walking in the footsteps of Hilbert and Laue.

PhillyBillyReprise

Oct 29, 2021

it is where the movie “Where Eagles Dare” was filmed.
The electric boat ride at Koenigsee is a pleasant and relaxing day.

In Rome: The Basillica of St Mary Major. It has a gold ceiling But even more so, “The manger of Christ and the altar, a precious basin made of imperial red marble and porphyry, houses other significant relics preserved at Saint Mary Major. For example, the relics of St. Jerome, the relics of the apostle Matthew, and a series of other relics.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Psu00

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021

I actually wouldn't purposely book a trip to Rwanda to see gorillas because I used to be employed in a profession that allowed me and wife the opportunity to travel the globe....Europe, Asia, Northern Africa and even sub-Saharan Africa. Our accommodations were always employer-paid and quite nice. I love Northern Africa....home of the best preserved Roman ruins (Leptis Magna).

Have you ever encountered a Black Mamba hanging from a tree in eastern Cameroon, a cobra emerging from a culvert in Equatorial Guinea, or completely wild African elephants striding along the beaches of Gulf of Guinea in Gabon while enjoying a French dinner at a partner/client's large oceanfront gazebo?

That said, our schedule is very flexible so we don't travel during the period of May 15 - Aug 15 because that is when all of the kids and their Karen Moms are traveling. Is that when you vacation?

After Aug 15th, things change. Peak travel for us starts the second week in September through pre-Thanksgiving and then again mid-February through mid-April depending on location. 😘

Last edited:

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
I actually wouldn't purposely book a trip to Rwanda to see gorillas because I used to be employed in a profession that allowed me and wife the opportunity to travel the globe....Europe, Asia, Northern Africa and even sub-Saharan Africa. Our accommodations were always employer-paid and quite nice. I love Northern Africa....home of the best preserved Roman ruins (Leptis Magna).

Have you ever encountered a Black Mamba hanging from a tree in eastern Cameroon, a cobra emerging from a culvert in Equatorial Guinea, or completely wild African elephants striding along the beaches of Gulf of Guinea in Gabon while enjoying a French dinner at a partner/client's large oceanfront gazebo?

That said, our schedule is very flexible so we don't travel during the period of May 15 - Aug 15 because that is when all of the kids and their Karen Moms are traveling. Is that when you vacation?

After Aug 15th, things change. Peak travel for us starts the second week in September through pre-Thanksgiving and then again mid-February through mid-April depending on location. 😘
IMG_0832.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Tgar

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021

And so now you are aging out without having done much other than visit ruins. Cool. Exciting. I have seen my share of ruins, nothing about any of them compares to something like The Trek to The Base of the Towers in Torres Del Paine National Park in Patagonia, Or, enjoying a Scotch on the Perito Moreno Glacier after a morning of glacier hiking.

I have not encountered a black mamba, you have me there. I have encountered numerous rattle snakes, one on the DeSchuettes River hanging in a tree next to us when we swung into the bank to cast flies At trout. Several on the Appalachian trail as well among other places. The coolest snake I have ever encountered was a Fer-De-Lance during a night hike in Costa Rica while exploring the rain forest looking for exotic poisonous glowing frogs. It was a pretty bad *** night. Our guide told us just to walk by the snake like we belonged there. Fairly terrifying.

I have encountered plenty of elephants and just about every other animal in Africa except a rhino, still on the list. I have sat in a safari vehicle next to a pride of lions at night while they chilled during a hunt, maybe three feet away, maybe four. I have spent the night in a canvas tent with lions prowling all around and witnessed giraffes fighting up close. We have followed night time hippo trails to watch them eat when it’s cool and their skin can be exposed.

We travel at all times of year. Last year we did 18 days in New Zealand ( north and South Island ) in March and enjoyed some remote trips, wineries as well as a helicopter ride landing on a glacier, fly fishing and time in Queenstown and Auckland. We don’t typically go to places that can be accessed by packs of kids and their parents on our trips to seek out some solitude and unique experiences. We do take small tour adventure oriented trips with outfits like Uncruise ( swam with Sea Lions in the sea of Cortez among other things on one trip , sea kayaked for a week in Alaska with thousands of sea otters on another. We have encountered bears, moose, never a mountain lion but have encountered Big horn sheep. Sitting on a veranda seeing an elephant on the beach is hardly exciting, been there, done that. Snorkel Drifting for a couple of hours in a current in the Galapagos losing count of all the varieties of fish and sea life you can see is, on the other hand, exhilarating.

This was fun. You gave me an opportunity to look at the stack of books we have created and remember some of the more exciting places we have roamed, explored, trekked, fished, and experienced. I have seen a lot of ruins all over the world, fun to see but hardly thrilling. Next year Angkor Wat is on the list as we are currently planning to go to Viet Nam, Cambodia, and Thailand. Other trips in the works include Atacama Desert, Easter Island and Machu Picchu, the Dolomites from the Italian side, Victoria Falls with Zambia and South Africa safari touring thrown in the mix. Another place we expect to get to in the next couple of years is a small ship Arctic expedition cruise out of Norway. Lots of places to still see and experience Like crossing paths with @laKavosiey-st lion in Los Angeles in October.

And if I had to rank all the experiences I have had the fortune to enjoy, spending two hours of my life in the presence of two different gorilla families would be the top.

Fer-de-Lance. Also a frog.

IMG_2241.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2230.jpeg
    IMG_2230.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
And so now you are aging out without having done much other than visit ruins. Cool. Exciting. I have seen my share of ruins, nothing about any of them compares to something like The Trek to The Base of the Towers in Torres Del Paine National Park in Patagonia, Or, enjoying a Scotch on the Perito Moreno Glacier after a morning of glacier hiking.

I have not encountered a black mamba, you have me there. I have encountered numerous rattle snakes, one on the DeSchuettes River hanging in a tree next to us when we swung into the bank to cast flies At trout. Several on the Appalachian trail as well among other places. The coolest snake I have ever encountered was a Fer-De-Lance during a night hike in Costa Rica while exploring the rain forest looking for exotic poisonous glowing frogs. It was a pretty bad *** night. Our guide told us just to walk by the snake like we belonged there. Fairly terrifying.

I have encountered plenty of elephants and just about every other animal in Africa except a rhino, still on the list. I have sat in a safari vehicle next to a pride of lions at night while they chilled during a hunt, maybe three feet away, maybe four. I have spent the night in a canvas tent with lions prowling all around and witnessed giraffes fighting up close. We have followed night time hippo trails to watch them eat when it’s cool and their skin can be exposed.

We travel at all times of year. Last year we did 18 days in New Zealand ( north and South Island ) in March and enjoyed some remote trips, wineries as well as a helicopter ride landing on a glacier, fly fishing and time in Queenstown and Auckland. We don’t typically go to places that can be accessed by packs of kids and their parents on our trips to seek out some solitude and unique experiences. We do take small tour adventure oriented trips with outfits like Uncruise ( swam with Sea Lions in the sea of Cortez among other things on one trip , sea kayaked for a week in Alaska with thousands of sea otters on another. We have encountered bears, moose, never a mountain lion but have encountered Big horn sheep. Sitting on a veranda seeing an elephant on the beach is hardly exciting, been there, done that. Snorkel Drifting for a couple of hours in a current in the Galapagos losing count of all the varieties of fish and sea life you can see is, on the other hand, exhilarating.

This was fun. You gave me an opportunity to look at the stack of books we have created and remember some of the more exciting places we have roamed, explored, trekked, fished, and experienced. I have seen a lot of ruins all over the world, fun to see but hardly thrilling. Next year Angkor Wat is on the list as we are currently planning to go to Viet Nam, Cambodia, and Thailand. Other trips in the works include Atacama Desert, Easter Island and Machu Picchu, the Dolomites from the Italian side, Victoria Falls with Zambia and South Africa safari touring thrown in the mix. Another place we expect to get to in the next couple of years is a small ship Arctic expedition cruise out of Norway. Lots of places to still see and experience Like crossing paths with @laKavosiey-st lion in Los Angeles in October.

Fer-de-Lance. Also a frog.

View attachment 598515
I'm pleased that toner cartridge refilling allows you escape your normal confines. ;)

Last edited:

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Bravo. Those are the moments in life worth seeking. Live music makes it better.
Only way I got away with it is moms got called to Germany for a meeting. Next night I saw tottenham play in wembley also wouldn’t fly if not for being solo

WVilleLion23

Oct 27, 2022
Here now. Today was Salzburg. Spent 3 hrs just chilling at Augustiner Brau chilling, eating, and DRINKING! Lovely!
Yesterday was drive over to St Wolfgang and we took the cog rail up the mountain. Views were AMAZING. Wish we would have had time to hang around that area more. Spent last evening in Hallstatt.

The amount of self absorbed tourists was disgusting. Luckily around 6 pm, all the day tourist cleared out and only those staying in town remained. We had a great meal lakeside and enjoyed sitting on our patio overlooking the lake until in got dark about 9:30 pm. This morning it was light by 5 am and just enjoyed the absolute serenity of the lake and the silence.

P.S. I never ever want to hear some ***** about ugly American tourists again. I have seen horrible rude behavior and they were not Americans.

Last edited:

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Yesterday was drive over to St Wolfgang and we took the cog rail up the mountain. Views were AMAZING. Wish we would have had time to hang around that area more. Spent last evening in Hallstatt.

The amount of self absorbed tourists was disgusting. Luckily around 6 pm, all the day tourist cleared out and only those staying in town remained. We had a great meal lakeside and enjoyed sitting on our patio overlooking the lake until in got dark about 9:30 pm. This morning it was light by 5 am and just enjoyed the absolute serenity of the lake and the silence.

P.S. I never ever want to hear some ***** about ugly American tourists again. I have seen horrible rude behavior and they were not Americans.
Can I ask what nationality? ( if determinable or European, Middle Eastern etc ). Thanks.

WVilleLion23

Oct 27, 2022
Can I ask what nationality? ( if determinable or European, Middle Eastern etc ). Thanks.
It has been a wide variety man, to include European and a few US rednecks. Mainly though it has been those of Indian and Middle Eastern decent.

I wanted to kick the asses of at least 2 European couples which for some ungodly reason brought their dogs up the cog rail. It is very rocky up there and in both cases the dogs had paws that were hurting them and the mfers just kept dragging them around with their heads up their butts not giving a damn about their poor dogs.

Last edited:

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
It has been a wide variety man, to include European and a few US rednecks. Mainly though it has been those of Indian and Middle Eastern decent.

I wanted to kick the asses of at least 2 European couples which for some ungodly reason brought their dogs up the cog rail. It is very rocky up there and in both cases the dogs had paws that were hurting them and the mfers just kept dragging them around with their heads up their butts not giving a damn about their poor dogs.
We were in Interlaken last year for two days to start our Swiss trip and go see Jungfrau. As it turns out, the town markets to Middle Eastern customers and there are watch stores everywhere. They are all mostly chill, shopping, a few taking a parachute ride etc. We were pretty surprised to see how many folks from that area of the world were there. There was a casino the men visited while the women walked up and down Main Street pushing strollers.

A couple of guys that got tossed from the hotel bar were going berserk while getting tossed but the staff handled it calmly. Pretty impressive.

A funny dog moment. We took the Cog to the top of the mountain next to town to take a hike. A big extended family of Middle eastern folks filled up the front car with us and the driver. The train took off and went 20 feet when the conductor stopped, opens the door and let his big St Bernard type dog in for a ride to the top. Apparently he does it every day. That car emptied and fast. The big family went scurrying down the walk to jump in other cars. I asked him what was up with that? He said they do not like dogs, are afraid of them and another reason or two. He said it happens every day all summer and he should just put a sign up.

Jungfrau was the only place we went that was just awash in tourists from around the world.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login