Alabama Facilities, Campus, scholarships

kb549

Oct 6, 2014
Long post. Sorry in advance. Took my son for a tour of Bama this week. Sports stuff first:

Did you know that Bama has the capability to simulate heavy rain and wind in their IPF? And man do they like to measure their pecker against anything Auburn. The student tour guide was a 8.75/10 - definitely in the Marry Zone of the hot crazy matrix. She continually kept talking about how they (UA) had the #1 or biggest (insert ranking/object/whatever we were passing in the tour bus) in the state among public universities. Basically it was code for “We don’t care how we rank nationally, but we are better than Auburn.”

So anyway, scholarships. He is a high achiever. Looking like he will be a NM Finalist (find out for sure later this year, but 99% positive he will make it.) He missed a 36 ACT by one question, so he is pissed and going to take it again (or until he gets it.) He is by far the smartest person in the house. Has been for about 10 years.

Assuming he gets his NMF,
State offers
* $40,000 - essentially 4 years tuition (8 semesters)
* 4 years housing
* $500-3,000/year stipend (not specified yet)
* One-time undergraduate allowance of $2,000 for use in summer research or international study

Alabama offers
* Tuition for up to 5 years or 10 semesters for degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate or law studies
* Four years of undergraduate housing - 70+% of their dorms are newer and have 4 single rooms with 2 bathrooms/kitchenette/living room
* $3,500 per year undergraduate supplemental scholarship - stipend for four years
* One-time undergraduate allowance of $2,000 for use in summer research or international study
* $500 per year undergraduate book scholarship for four years

He will likely start a with around 36-42 hours dual credit, so we expect him to get his BS in 2.5-3 years. He currently thinks he wants to go to law school (and would go to UAt for law school also), so 2(+) years of law school looks like it would be covered under the NM scholarship ($86k worth). Interestingly enough, Alabama has a top 25 law school in most all categories. I didn’t realize it ranked that high. Ole Miss and LSU are both ranked around the top 100 +/-5.

It has been 27 years since I went to a preview day at Bama. It has changed drastically. They really are reaping the increased enrollment benefits of football success. Out of the approximate 30 kids there for the tour, only 1 or 2 were from Alabama. The rest were from VA, NY, NC, CA, ND, TX, TN, and a few more I forget. Man, it is nice. The layout, architecture, amenities, etc. Taking off my maroon colored glasses and my MIATM tee, it is shameful that we have a much better engineering program, but the facilities doesn’t match.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Starkville, Mississippi State, our campus, and (most of) our fans. I would love for him to keep the State legacy going. Although I couldn’t wait to graduate and leave, now all we are doing is planning our eventual permanent move back so we can catch all the baseball midweek games & weekend series, and some of the other non revenue producing sports. However, from a financial standpoint and the opportunity to be in all these new facilities with nice labs, I can’t make the case right now that State is a better fit for him. Maybe one of you guys can pint out something I’m missing.

He loves State and (if he goes to Bama or anywhere else), he will wear the M over S as much as whatever institution he is attending. FYI, there is NO scholarship on earth that would put him in Oxford or make him say HT.

We are planning on touring LSU next.

Anyone have a kid that goes or recently graduated from Bama or LSU? Or any other universities in the Southeast with a law school that has a strong feeling one way or another? OM responses not needed. They’re a non-starter. He will likely get his undergrad degree in engineering. Says he’s unsure, but he is clearly a Computer Science or Computer Engineering major.

If any of you guys have done a similar track (engineering & law), I’d like to maybe talk with you about how to best prepare him. Like are there classes he should take to be better prepared for his first year of law school, should he major in engineering at all or take an easier path, etc.

TL;DR: son may become a bulldog, a Gump, a corn dog, or something else. But never a bear.

Last edited:

Scottfield1

Nov 21, 2013
Ba

Long post. Sorry in advance. Took my son for a tour of Bama this week. Sports stuff first:

Did you know that Bama has the capability to simulate heavy rain and wind in their IPF? And man do they like to measure their pecker against anything Auburn. The student tour guide was a 8.75/10 - definitely in the Marry Zone of the hot crazy matrix. She continually kept talking about how they (UA) had the #1 or biggest (insert ranking/object/whatever we were passing in the tour bus) in the <b><U>state <\b><\U> among <b><U public universities<\b><\U>. Basically it was code for “We don’t care how we rank nationally, but we are better than Auburn.”

So anyway, scholarships. He is a high achiever. Looking like he will be a NM Finalist (find out for sure later this year, but 99% positive heÂ’ll make it.) He missed a 36 ACT by one question, so heÂ’s pissed and going to take it again (or until he gets it.) HeÂ’s by far the smartest person in the house. Has been for about 10 years.

State offers
* 4 years housing

Alabama offers
* Tuition for up to 5 years or 10 semesters for degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate or law studies
* Four years of undergraduate housing - 70+% of their dorms are newer and have 4 single rooms with 2 bathrooms/kitchenette/living room
* $3,500 per year undergraduate supplemental scholarship - stipend for four years

He will likely start a with around 36-42 hours dual credit, so we expect him to get his BS in 2.5-3 years. He currently thinks he wants to go to law school (and would go to UAt for law school also), so 2(+) years of law school looks like it would be covered under the NM scholarship ($86k worth). Interestingly enough, Alabama has a top 25 law school in most all categories. I didnÂ’t realize it ranked that high. Ole Miss and LSU are both ranked around the top 100 +/-5.

It has been 27 years since I went to a preview day at Bama. It has changed drastically. They really are reaping the increased enrollment benefits of football success. Out of the approximate 30 kids there for the tour, only 1 or 2 were from Alabama. The rest were from VA, NY, NC, CA, ND, TX, TN, and a few more I forget. Man, it is nice. The layout, architecture, amenities, etc. Taking off my maroon colored glasses and my MIATM tee, it is shameful that we have a much better engineering program, but the facilities donÂ’t match.

DonÂ’t get me wrong, I love Starkville, Mississippi State, our campus, and (most of) our fans. I would love for him to keep the State legacy going. Although I couldnÂ’t wait to graduate and leave, now all we are doing is planning our eventual permanent move back so we can catch all the baseball midweek games & weekend series, and some of the other non revenue producing sports. However, from a financial standpoint and the opportunity to be in all these new facilities with nice labs, I canÂ’t make the case right now that State is a better fit for him. Maybe one of you guys can pint out something IÂ’m missing.

He loves State and (if he goes to Bama or anywhere else), he will wear the M over S as much as whatever institution he is attending. FYI, thereÂ’s no scholarship on earth that would put him in Oxford or make him say HT.

Anyone have a kid that goes or recently graduated from Bama or LSU? Or any other universities in the Southeast with a law school that has a strong feeling one way or another? OM responses not needed. TheyÂ’re a non-starter. He will likely get his undergrad degree in engineering. Says heÂ’s unsure, but heÂ’s clearly a Computer Science or Computer Engineering major.

If any of you guys have done a similar track (engineering & law), IÂ’d like to maybe talk with you about how to best prepare him. Like are there classes he should take to be better prepared for his first year of law school, should he major in engineering at all or take an easier path, etc.

TL;DR: son may become a bulldog, a Gump, a corn dog, or something else. But never a bear.

You and your son can F yourself or however you create the special A(F). Y’All are both special F’s. If your son loves State and wants to spend his undergraduate wearing maroon and white, state your excitement as an alumni and a father. Why not list his achievements and move on vs the obnoxious look at at us? I’m chalking this post up to bait, which I hope I surely feel for; otherwise, go F yourself.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Alabama did the best tour by far of all the places my kids visited. They all went to MSU anyway.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
He can get his undergrad work at State then transfer to Bummer for post graduate. I met two guys in Boston that did their undergrad at state and were completing their Law degrees at Harvard. If he's as smart as you say he should take that route instead.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014

Did you know that Bama has the capability to simulate heavy rain and wind in their IPF? And man do they like to measure their pecker against anything Auburn. The student tour guide was a 8.75/10 - definitely in the Marry Zone of the hot crazy matrix. She continually kept talking about how they (UA) had the #1 or biggest (insert ranking/object/whatever we were passing in the tour bus) in the state among public universities. Basically it was code for “We don’t care how we rank nationally, but we are better than Auburn.”

So anyway, scholarships. He is a high achiever. Looking like he will be a NM Finalist (find out for sure later this year, but 99% positive he will make it.) He missed a 36 ACT by one question, so he is pissed and going to take it again (or until he gets it.) He is by far the smartest person in the house. Has been for about 10 years.

State offers
* 4 years housing

Alabama offers

He will likely start a with around 36-42 hours dual credit, so we expect him to get his BS in 2.5-3 years. He currently thinks he wants to go to law school (and would go to UAt for law school also), so 2(+) years of law school looks like it would be covered under the NM scholarship ($86k worth). Interestingly enough, Alabama has a top 25 law school in most all categories. I didn’t realize it ranked that high. Ole Miss and LSU are both ranked around the top 100 +/-5.

It has been 27 years since I went to a preview day at Bama. It has changed drastically. They really are reaping the increased enrollment benefits of football success. Out of the approximate 30 kids there for the tour, only 1 or 2 were from Alabama. The rest were from VA, NY, NC, CA, ND, TX, TN, and a few more I forget. Man, it is nice. The layout, architecture, amenities, etc. Taking off my maroon colored glasses and my MIATM tee, it is shameful that we have a much better engineering program, but the facilities doesn’t match.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Starkville, Mississippi State, our campus, and (most of) our fans. I would love for him to keep the State legacy going. Although I couldn’t wait to graduate and leave, now all we are doing is planning our eventual permanent move back so we can catch all the baseball midweek games & weekend series, and some of the other non revenue producing sports. However, from a financial standpoint and the opportunity to be in all these new facilities with nice labs, I can’t make the case right now that State is a better fit for him. Maybe one of you guys can pint out something I’m missing.

He loves State and (if he goes to Bama or anywhere else), he will wear the M over S as much as whatever institution he is attending. FYI, there is NO scholarship on earth that would put him in Oxford or make him say HT.

Anyone have a kid that goes or recently graduated from Bama or LSU? Or any other universities in the Southeast with a law school that has a strong feeling one way or another? OM responses not needed. They’re a non-starter. He will likely get his undergrad degree in engineering. Says he’s unsure, but he is clearly a Computer Science or Computer Engineering major.

If any of you guys have done a similar track (engineering & law), I’d like to maybe talk with you about how to best prepare him. Like are there classes he should take to be better prepared for his first year of law school, should he major in engineering at all or take an easier path, etc.

Let me get this straight - he is very close to a National Merit Finalist, almost made a 36, and wants to go to Alabama for Engineering? Man, they must pass those National Merit Finalist and 35's on the ACT like candy these days...

If he wants to go into engineering, he should go to State. If he wants to go to a public school in Alabama and go into engineering, he should go to Auburn. Alabama has some good schools, but engineering is not one of them. The state of Alabama is a lot like the state of Mississippi. In Mississippi, the better school by far is MSU. There are engineers who went to Northern Mississippi who couldn't get a job in engineering and had to go into retail. Most engineers who went to MSU are able to get good jobs right out of college. I know several who makes 6 figures now. Sure, some from Northern Mississippi make it, but numerically, it is a very low percentage. It's pretty much the same thing in Alabama, except the better school is Auburn. Alabama is very inferior as a school when it comes to engineering.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We toured MSU, TAMU, Auburn and UGA. MSU's tour was at the bottom for sure. Both kids ended up there anyway, I have one more kid to go.

Bud.sixpack

Aug 24, 2012
With a degree from State and a child that went there, I really like the homey feel and friendly people of Starkville. Having moved several children into UA and working with the university, everything there is first class. But, I work in Tuscaloosa several times a week. It is a ******** town with a **** ton of ******** people.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
With a degree from State and a child that went there, I really like the homey feel and friendly people of Starkville. Having moved several children into UA and working with the university, everything there is first class. But, I work in Tuscaloosa several times a week. It is a ******** town with a **** ton of ******** people.

But, do they charge for parking?**

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
We all know that the big money schools can roll out the red carpet. Don't fall for that crap.

My decision-making would be as follows: Best scholarship, best school for the degree, where you enjoy being. I'd probably give MSU some extra weight in all 3 just because we are fans.

But don't let a nice shiny new lab influence anything. That's dumb. You get out what you put in. He'll get a great Computer Engineering education at MSU. You know this already. Personally, I think you are trying to act too cool for school. If so, go ahead to Bama. It's certainly no shocker that they give better 'tours'. It's just reality.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If he's got all this going on in his favor he ought to have his (academic) sights set a lot higher than Ala 17ing bama.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I know folks with no connection to Alabama at all who have children attending that school (one of the friends lives in Kansas and is an Oregon grad).

Alabama does a very good job when it comes to attracting out-of-state students.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I know folks with no connection to Alabama at all who have children attending that school (one of the friends lives in Kansas and is an Oregon grad).

Alabama does a very good job when it comes to attracting out-of-state students.
No offense to your friends, but it's mostly sheep with money. They just go there because Bama has the 'juice' due to football, and they just want to enjoy that and party. It's not really due to academics like the OP is insinuating.

I remember seeing tables full of girls going out to eat at semi-expensive restaurants on a Tuesday night in Tuscaloosa. Paid for by daddy's credit card. Asked them where they were from, many from New York and New Jersey. Asked them why they came to Alabama? Football team was good.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Oh, I agree. There's no doubt that football is Alabama's front door which goes a long way towards attracting a lot of students. But they also apparently do more.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
I have a daughter, a high school junior, considering Ole Miss. Oh the humanity. She doesn't care about sports. Two of her friends are currently at Ole Miss instead of State because Ole Miss recruited them harder and gave them more money (one has a 35 ACT and the other a 32). I married an LSU grad, my late dad was a Delta State and LSU grad. Late father-in-law was an Arkansas and Ole Miss grad. I have additional relatives from other SEC schools. Family reunions involve a bit trash talking but I love all my cousins. They're just good people. (The woo pig sooie stuff is kinda cool when you're there and right next to you is your rich grown man of a cousin and his wife and kids all saying it. They do that when they're losing.) I tell kids to go where you get the most money and where you want to go. I really had little interest in State but they gave me money and I've been a Bulldog for decades. That won't change. Admittedly, having a daughter go to Ole Miss would be a challenge. But, I'm still wearing maroon for Egg Bowls and baseball in Oxford regardless. BTW, they all supported State in the CWS last and my close LSU buddies came over last year with beer and food to watch the final game against Vandy. Let kids go where they want, within reason, and remain a State fan.

Misfit

Oct 21, 2018
Agree 100%. The year or two of law school appears to be the only real difference in what Bama would offer versus MSU. Got my undergrad in Philosophy from MSU. After I took the LSAT, UM offered me a full ride to law school. Harvard would have paid for everything, but I had a wife and 3 kids at the time and didn't intend to leave Mississippi to practice law, so UM made more sense. At least I would know some of the guys in the good ole boys club, though I had no interest in joining it.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Let me get this straight - he is very close to a National Merit Finalist, almost made a 36, and wants to go to Alabama for Engineering? Man, they must pass those National Merit Finalist and 35's on the ACT like candy these days...

If he wants to go into engineering, he should go to State. If he wants to go to a public school in Alabama and go into engineering, he should go to Auburn. Alabama has some good schools, but engineering is not one of them. The state of Alabama is a lot like the state of Mississippi. In Mississippi, the better school by far is MSU. There are engineers who went to Northern Mississippi who couldn't get a job in engineering and had to go into retail. Most engineers who went to MSU are able to get good jobs right out of college. I know several who makes 6 figures now. Sure, some from Northern Mississippi make it, but numerically, it is a very low percentage. It's pretty much the same thing in Alabama, except the better school is Auburn. Alabama is very inferior as a school when it comes to engineering.

If he wants to go into engineering, he'd be better off at State or Auburn. But if he thinks he's going to lawshool, that extra year of tuition (especially if he can graduate in three years from undergrad) is pretty damn big.

My hesitation would be that's a big decision to make because you think you might want to go to law school in a few years. Also, engineering and then law school is great, but if he is going to do computer science/engineering and then engineering, the "clear" route from that is IP work, and the firms hiring for IP work probably aren't looking for people with a tech background from alabama although certainly there are firms with IP in Atlanta.

Plus, while I would not care that much about which school he cheers for, I would not love for my kid to be in tuscaloosa. I'd pick Starkville, then Auburn, then probably even Baton Rouge before Tuscaloosa.

All that to say, look at the money, but I'd be hesitant to make the undergrad decision based on money for grad/professional school that he may or may not want to go to.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I have a daughter, a high school junior, considering Ole Miss. Oh the humanity. She doesn't care about sports. Two of her friends are currently at Ole Miss instead of State because Ole Miss recruited them harder and gave them more money (one has a 35 ACT and the other a 32). I married an LSU grad, my late dad was a Delta State and LSU grad. Late father-in-law was an Arkansas and Ole Miss grad. I have additional relatives from other SEC schools. Family reunions involve a bit trash talking but I love all my cousins. They're just good people. (The woo pig sooie stuff is kinda cool when you're there and right next to you is your rich grown man of a cousin and his wife and kids all saying it. They do that when they're losing.) I tell kids to go where you get the most money and where you want to go. I really had little interest in State but they gave me money and I've been a Bulldog for decades. That won't change. Admittedly, having a daughter go to Ole Miss would be a challenge. But, I'm still wearing maroon for Egg Bowls and baseball in Oxford regardless. BTW, they all supported State in the CWS last and my close LSU buddies came over last year with beer and food to watch the final game against Vandy. Let kids go where they want, within reason, and remain a State fan.
And do your best to keep them in the State of Mississippi, or at least in the Memphis, Huntsville, Birmingham bubble. So they can add to our fanbase.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Must not be much common sense, he needs to shoot higher than Tuscaloosa. I've never known a Gump grad that wasn't a douchebag either, ever.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If your son has those qualifications and doesn't want his undergrad from MSU then I encourage you to look outside your next door neighbor schools. Bama has always had a good dog and pony show and stomping hawt hostesses since I was a young guy. You have two ask yourself if you want the MSU home at your roots or just are looking for the best ride. BTW Bama is not where you want an engineering degree. Law maybe. Engineering MSU. With NASA being in AL why are there so many MSU guys there? Don't be blinded by the light.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You and your son can F yourself or however you create the special A(F). Y’All are both special F’s. If your son loves State and wants to spend his undergraduate wearing maroon and white, state your excitement as an alumni and a father. Why not list his achievements and move on vs the obnoxious look at at us? I’m chalking this post up to bait, which I hope I surely feel for; otherwise, go F yourself.

So what degree do you have from Auburn?

Kenny.sixpack

Aug 23, 2021
I grew up in MS, graduated State with a EE, met my wife there, got married and my first job in Gulfport. Moved to FL. Raised my kids. Went to State games. But my smart son is attending LSU and is a coonass. When he turned 18 I told him if he was legal to take a bullet for the country he could pick his own school. He likes State but liked LSU better. He's a Physics major and has a long road of school ahead.

Had he been at the level you indicate I'd have pushed for MIT. No reason to settle for a state college at that level. I think you're missing the proper perspective on talent like that if this whole conversation has any merit to it at all.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
If he's got all this going on in his favor he ought to have his (academic) sights set a lot higher than Ala 17ing bama.

This is fact. he should be getting daily calls from Stanford, Princeton, Harvard, & Cornell. But gonna settle for Alabama, so mom and dad can helicopter

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
No offense to your friends, but it's mostly sheep with money. They just go there because Bama has the 'juice' due to football, and they just want to enjoy that and party. It's not really due to academics like the OP is insinuating.

I remember seeing tables full of girls going out to eat at semi-expensive restaurants on a Tuesday night in Tuscaloosa. Paid for by daddy's credit card. Asked them where they were from, many from New York and New Jersey. Asked them why they came to Alabama? Football team was good.

That's not a bad reason. It's Bama, which is not too different than a larger OM or State. Not like the decision is between Cal-Berkeley and Mississippi State.

It is certainly frustrating being a State fan. In 2012 I suggested to my son he consider Bama simply because the football team was good. He went to State and we are both happy with it. I did find out later he applied and was accepted into Bama.

If the ultimate goal is law school and practicing law, then the quality of the undergrad engineering won't matter nearly as much as the quality/ranking of the law school. If good undergrad grades are important to get into a better law school, than an easier engineering program might actually be better.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Intense

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I know white males that are both NM and 36 ACT that only get 4 year tuition covered and nothing else. They still weigh in your FAFSA on what the family can pay. It's not much different than a 30 on the ACT for in state students.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
This is fact. he should be getting daily calls from Stanford, Princeton, Harvard, & Cornell. But gonna settle for Alabama, so mom and dad can helicopter

if you're not planning on going into research or federal government, it really doesn't matter that much for most students. Major is going to be more important than school, and if you want to live in the southeast, it's probably a good idea to go to school in the Southeast.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Curious why nothing further away is considered.

There are a ton of large universities that are viewed as being much better than Bama or MSU in engineering- Northwestern, Purdue, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Colorado, Michigan, Washington, VT, UVA, Arizona State, Iowa State, Minnesota, etc etc etc. I only rattled off large universities since the 3 you mention are all major conference type schools. Any major conference has multiple universities with engineering programs rated higher than Bama or MSU.

He could experience another part of the country and still have the large state school vibe.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
That's not a bad reason. It's Bama, which is not too different than a larger OM or State. Not like the decision is between Cal-Berkeley and Mississippi State.

It is certainly frustrating being a State fan. In 2012 I suggested to my son he consider Bama simply because the football team was good. He went to State and we are both happy with it. I did find out later he applied and was accepted into Bama.

If the ultimate goal is law school and practicing law, then the quality of the undergrad engineering won't matter nearly as much as the quality/ranking of the law school. If good undergrad grades are important to get into a better law school, than an easier engineering program might actually be better.
Yes it is. That's an incredibly dumb reason, unless you are from way out of state and just don't care. If you're an MSU guy, especially in-state, no reason to go to Bama. Your analogy about Cal-Berkeley is all the more reason to pick MSU.

You can't convince me there a dime's worth a difference in education at MSU or Bama. Good students will do what they need to do.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
if you're not planning on going into research or federal government, it really doesn't matter that much for most students. Major is going to be more important than school, and if you want to live in the southeast, it's probably a good idea to go to school in the Southeast.

You go to those institutions for the connections that you make, that will make you a wealthy person, as much or more than for "research or federal government". It's not just about the education, when you get into those institutions.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login