Alabama Facilities, Campus, scholarships

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
I have an engineering degree from State, and a law degree from Alabama. Its been a few decades, so I'm a little out of touch with current admissions standards, but I think your son should aim higher. Financial aid is available everywhere, so why just go to State schools?

As for suggestions on the engineering to law transition, I would say just stick to whatever he enjoys. But if he really is interested in Law School, then take some history and pre law electives. The difference between law and engineering is the vast amount of memorization required in Law, combined with the inability to just learn some core principles and apply them to every problem. But, being able to absorb large quantities of information is a big plus.

I remember laughing at Law School Orientation as Dean Hansford told us we would have to read and re-read cases 3 or 4 times before we would really understand them. I couldn't imagine needing to put in that type of effort; but he was right.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Dont go to law school. Thats all I have to offer in this thread.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
FACTS, my oldest son scored a 35, the scholly offers from out of state didn't roll in as much as expected.

Schools, especially those considered "highly selective", consider a lot more than just ACT/SAT scores. Things like community involvement play a big role. Demographic factors play a role as well, maybe even a dominant role.

Dogsincebirth

Sep 29, 2020
Why Alabama?

With similar credentials one of our sons (our other three sons went to State) got the Cornelius Vanderbilt scholarship at Vanderbilt. It cost us nothing for him to get his four year degree in economics at Vanderbilt. Especially if he is considering law school, then Vandy is a no-brainer in comparison to Alabama. Good luck to your son.
Long post. Sorry in advance. Took my son for a tour of Bama this week. Sports stuff first:

Did you know that Bama has the capability to simulate heavy rain and wind in their IPF? And man do they like to measure their pecker against anything Auburn. The student tour guide was a 8.75/10 - definitely in the Marry Zone of the hot crazy matrix. She continually kept talking about how they (UA) had the #1 or biggest (insert ranking/object/whatever we were passing in the tour bus) in the state among public universities. Basically it was code for “We don’t care how we rank nationally, but we are better than Auburn.”

So anyway, scholarships. He is a high achiever. Looking like he will be a NM Finalist (find out for sure later this year, but 99% positive he will make it.) He missed a 36 ACT by one question, so he is pissed and going to take it again (or until he gets it.) He is by far the smartest person in the house. Has been for about 10 years.

Assuming he gets his NMF,
State offers
* $40,000 - essentially 4 years tuition (8 semesters)
* 4 years housing
* $500-3,000/year stipend (not specified yet)
* One-time undergraduate allowance of $2,000 for use in summer research or international study

Alabama offers
* Tuition for up to 5 years or 10 semesters for degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate or law studies
* Four years of undergraduate housing - 70+% of their dorms are newer and have 4 single rooms with 2 bathrooms/kitchenette/living room
* $3,500 per year undergraduate supplemental scholarship - stipend for four years
* One-time undergraduate allowance of $2,000 for use in summer research or international study
* $500 per year undergraduate book scholarship for four years

He will likely start a with around 36-42 hours dual credit, so we expect him to get his BS in 2.5-3 years. He currently thinks he wants to go to law school (and would go to UAt for law school also), so 2(+) years of law school looks like it would be covered under the NM scholarship ($86k worth). Interestingly enough, Alabama has a top 25 law school in most all categories. I didn’t realize it ranked that high. Ole Miss and LSU are both ranked around the top 100 +/-5.

It has been 27 years since I went to a preview day at Bama. It has changed drastically. They really are reaping the increased enrollment benefits of football success. Out of the approximate 30 kids there for the tour, only 1 or 2 were from Alabama. The rest were from VA, NY, NC, CA, ND, TX, TN, and a few more I forget. Man, it is nice. The layout, architecture, amenities, etc. Taking off my maroon colored glasses and my MIATM tee, it is shameful that we have a much better engineering program, but the facilities doesn’t match.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Starkville, Mississippi State, our campus, and (most of) our fans. I would love for him to keep the State legacy going. Although I couldn’t wait to graduate and leave, now all we are doing is planning our eventual permanent move back so we can catch all the baseball midweek games & weekend series, and some of the other non revenue producing sports. However, from a financial standpoint and the opportunity to be in all these new facilities with nice labs, I can’t make the case right now that State is a better fit for him. Maybe one of you guys can pint out something I’m missing.

He loves State and (if he goes to Bama or anywhere else), he will wear the M over S as much as whatever institution he is attending. FYI, there is NO scholarship on earth that would put him in Oxford or make him say HT.

We are planning on touring LSU next.

Anyone have a kid that goes or recently graduated from Bama or LSU? Or any other universities in the Southeast with a law school that has a strong feeling one way or another? OM responses not needed. They’re a non-starter. He will likely get his undergrad degree in engineering. Says he’s unsure, but he is clearly a Computer Science or Computer Engineering major.

If any of you guys have done a similar track (engineering & law), I’d like to maybe talk with you about how to best prepare him. Like are there classes he should take to be better prepared for his first year of law school, should he major in engineering at all or take an easier path, etc.

TL;DR: son may become a bulldog, a Gump, a corn dog, or something else. But never a bear.

DirtyDog

Aug 24, 2012
Long post. Sorry in advance. Took my son for a tour of Bama this week. Sports stuff first:

Did you know that Bama has the capability to simulate heavy rain and wind in their IPF? And man do they like to measure their pecker against anything Auburn. The student tour guide was a 8.75/10 - definitely in the Marry Zone of the hot crazy matrix. She continually kept talking about how they (UA) had the #1 or biggest (insert ranking/object/whatever we were passing in the tour bus) in the state among public universities. Basically it was code for “We don’t care how we rank nationally, but we are better than Auburn.”

So anyway, scholarships. He is a high achiever. Looking like he will be a NM Finalist (find out for sure later this year, but 99% positive he will make it.) He missed a 36 ACT by one question, so he is pissed and going to take it again (or until he gets it.) He is by far the smartest person in the house. Has been for about 10 years.

Assuming he gets his NMF,
State offers
* $40,000 - essentially 4 years tuition (8 semesters)
* 4 years housing
* $500-3,000/year stipend (not specified yet)

Alabama offers
* Tuition for up to 5 years or 10 semesters for degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate or law studies
* Four years of undergraduate housing - 70+% of their dorms are newer and have 4 single rooms with 2 bathrooms/kitchenette/living room
* $3,500 per year undergraduate supplemental scholarship - stipend for four years
* $500 per year undergraduate book scholarship for four years

Anyone have a kid that goes or recently graduated from Bama or LSU? Or any other universities in the Southeast with a law school that has a strong feeling one way or another? OM responses not needed. They’re a non-starter. He will likely get his undergrad degree in engineering. Says he’s unsure, but he is clearly a Computer Science or Computer Engineering major.

If any of you guys have done a similar track (engineering & law), I’d like to maybe talk with you about how to best prepare him. Like are there classes he should take to be better prepared for his first year of law school, should he major in engineering at all or take an easier path, etc.

As far as comparing the scholly's, my neighbor's son was in the exact same position as yours. He chose STATE and has not regretted it. The scholly/stipend etc. was more than adequate to cover all his college costs plus a nice little bit of change in his pocket. While Bama may have a slight advantage, it probably is not worth worrying over, as either scholly will more than take care of your son's education needs. Your son is a high performer and likely to finish in 3-3.5 years if he was a non-engineering major. The sequencing of engineering classes with pre-requisites will most likely dictate that he go 4 years. The dorms at state are generally very nice now, and he'll probably stay in Griffis (the honors dorm) which has some nice amenities such as classes in the dorm itself and study rooms. Most likely he will stay in the dorm one year anyway, so I wouldn't base much on the dorms regardless. My neighbor's son's stipends are more than enough to pay for his apartment and food so not many non-freshmen will stay in the dorms anymore.

We toured FSU and LSU and neither law school was particularly impressive. I'd treat law school as separate, and entry is almost solely based on the LSAT. If your son scores well, then he'll get into a good law school. I'd go through some LSAT prep material and let that guide some elective classes. Since your son has alot of dual credit classes coming out of high school, he'll want a few selective electives to add to those last engineering classes to help prepare for the LSAT and fluff that GPA if needed. My initial recommendation would be to take a few Poly Sci classes or even minor in it.

Make sure he joins the pre-law club if he goes to State, there are some nice benefits and trips to law programs. My daughter went to a conference at Harvard and was offered a scholly to their law school, but even a scholly there won't pay for half the price.

All schools now offer international abroad studies, my daughter went to Oxford, but it seems a bit overrated to me. Just be aware that that opportunity exists at every major school now including State.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
You will make money as a NM at MSU if you stay on campus all 4 years. If not, you will lose the housing part of your scholarship.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
The problem is not who your daughter roots for. It's that once she goes to OM, the chance of her marrying an OM guy grows exponentially. Then you've got That Guy at your house for dinner every holiday.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login