Alabama has decided to take baseball seriously

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Got Maryland's coach. Pretty good hire.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
What's more impresive is they're keeping Jason Jackson as the pitching coach. Plus, kept him from us to boot.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Got Maryland's coach. Pretty good hire.
Meh......We "supposedly" hired a "good" Big 10 coach too.....,Look how that's turned out.

Last edited:

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I would still throw some money at Jackson and try and get him. He did a great job holding them together and they finished with the 16th highest team ERA.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I would still throw some money at Jackson and try and get him. He did a great job holding them together and they finished with the 16th highest team ERA.
Why in the hell would he leave Alabama for what looks like a 1-year losing gig here?

Reactions: thekimmer

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Why in the hell would he leave Alabama for what looks like a 1-year losing gig here?

Because we would likely pay him more and if Lemon gets canned, he takes over another SEC program mid season and if he does as well as he did with Bama, he would be in the running to get the HC job here (better job than Bama) or definitely somewhere else. This is one guy who doesn't seem scared of a challenge. His pitchers had the 3rd lowest ERA in the SEC on a team that had every reason to give up.

Reactions: bolddogge

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
What is Lemonis buyout currently? Will keeping him another year save us millions? If so, probably the right move. We will still have 10k+ on most weekends next year so spare me the “but think about the small businesses!!!” angle.

patdog

May 28, 2007
What is Lemonis buyout currently? Will keeping him another year save us millions? If so, probably the right move. We will still have 10k+ on most weekends next year so spare me the “but think about the small businesses!!!” angle.
The real question is, how much is it going to cost us to keep him another year. If you're keeping a coach because of the buyout, that's the wrong reason to keep a coach and is probably going to cost you more in the long run.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
State baseball isn't better off if more SEC teams take baseball seriously.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
State baseball isn't better off if more SEC teams take baseball seriously.
Bleh. Folks have been saying this for years.

If fans support the program, you have a better chance to land a good coach and attract recruits, which ups your chances of winning games. Can you do well without this? Of course. But you don't just build a program overnight. Most programs are all about a coach, nothing more, and once they leave, the program regress back to its potential.

You can't just flip a switch and take something seriously. Vitello is in his 6th year and UT didn't even begin to take baseball seriously until he reeled off a #1 overall seed-type season. And you can argue that they still don't.

Reactions: patdog

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Vitello had a great second season at TN (regional) and his first year there was better than either of Lemonis's last two years. He doesn't have a Natty, but Lemonis inherited better teams. Vitello built that team quickly and he may not have to move on for a better gig. Alabama hasn't invested in baseball. If they're going to, that's more competition State doesn't need. TN got a good coach without fan support and he changed that quickly. I agree that winning build's fan support. Losing might do the opposite at State.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Vitello had a great second season at TN (regional) and his first year there was better than either of Lemonis's last two years. He doesn't have a Natty, but Lemonis inherited better teams. Vitello built that team quickly and he may not have to move on for a better gig. Alabama hasn't invested in baseball. If they're going to, that's more competition State doesn't need. TN got a good coach without fan support and he changed that quickly. I agree that winning build's fan support. Losing might do the opposite at State.
Why are you comparing Vitello to Lemonis? That has nothing to do with what you posted, or my reply.

Back to the subject, we've heard it for years. You guys were out full force against Cohen in 2009-2010. Other SEC programs rose and dropped. The sky never fell, the program didn't collapse. Matter of fact, we had the best decade in our history.

And now you're bitching yet again because things caught up with us. We'll be fine.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Why are you comparing Vitello to Lemonis? That has nothing to do with what you posted, or my reply.

Back to the subject, we've heard it for years. You guys were out full force against Cohen in 2009-2010. Other SEC programs rose and dropped. The sky never fell, the program didn't collapse. Matter of fact, we had the best decade in our history.

And now you're bitching yet again because things caught up with us. We'll be fine.
You guys? Bitchin' again? I signed up to this site not so long ago. My point, which you missed, is that Vitello built a program in one year. Made a regional his second. That is, he did this in a short time in baseball terms. Alabama has resources to do that same. I'm also of the opinion that when other schools focus on football it doesn't help us either. And I don't deal in extremes. Not expecting a collapse. But, and I'll repeat myself, State baseball isn't better off if more teams take baseball seriously. It's gonna be more challenging. That's hardly a an irrational comment. And I agree, our best decade was when Alabama and TN didn't care about baseball.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login