All in all, the transfer portal wasn’t bad to us

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
With Tulu and Zavion returning, we only lost two impact players from last years team in DJ and Rara, and both are easily replaceable. Hell, they were easily replaced in the bowl game by Price and Robinson. Many other teams had it much worse with impact players leaving. Now let’s get rolling with the new offensive coaching staff. Getting some optimism going.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Would not say RaRa is easily replaceable. DJ provided depth if nothing else. Our offense sucked a huge suck in the bowl game, let's not use that as a barometer.

But yes, overall, we came out of this portal period in good shape. Could have been much worse.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
RaRa remains to be seen. He got paid, good for him. He's currently the 5th or 6th best receiver at Georgia on paper. Might be his last decent pay day, we will see.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
RaRa remains to be seen. He got paid, good for him. He's currently the 5th or 6th best receiver at Georgia on paper. Might be his last decent pay day, we will see.
I know we're all expert football evaluators, but since the Georgia coaches signed and paid him, they likely think he can contribute.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Overall talent wise, the portal will always be a net positive for us. That's why, if we ever see meaningful reform, I hope it's on the NIL side FIRST rather than the portal. NIL is the biggest offender.

The portal will continually drain talent away from the big boys to lower levels, while the big boys pick and choose the stars from the rest. I think that ultimately will result in more parity overall. Many more chances for someone to pan out on the lower level. And as time goes on, you'll see less players leave starting positions.

Everybody thinks it's less parity now than 10 years, but truth be known there's more. TCU's run shows that. Tennessee's rise. And they'll be more over the next few years.

Reactions: mo7888

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
How was it not bad? Besides the UCLA kicker, who did we add that offsets losing our best WR and best RB?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How was it not bad? Besides the UCLA kicker, who did we add that offsets losing our best WR and best RB?
Fart. RaRa's drops and attitude more than cancel out his production. DJ has already been replaced. I liked him and would have preferred to keep him, but you reap what you sow.

Our defense is going to be stout due to the portal. Maybe we take a few more pieces on offense, but it's not necessary.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Price is every bit as good as DJ. Rara is a bigger loss, but I think Robinson and Tulu will step up to fill that void. Robinson already did in the bowl game and was the game MVP.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I know we're all expert football evaluators, but since the Georgia coaches signed and paid him, they likely think he can contribute.

He can get several catches yes, but he will be down the list, especially since Georgia hid Lovett until AFTER RaRa signed.

Here are the players that will get more catches than him and also ones that will be competing with him out of high school. RaRa will get less passes than the RB I am guessing, he was looking good until Lovett signed. Georgia throws to their #1 TE the most, then their #1 WR (Lovett) and McConkey runs full routes every play so he gets catches as well. RaRa will be in competition with a RB and a #2 WR and there is a slight chance 1 of the 3 four star HS recruits could show up big in spring ball.

• Brock Bowers (All American, All SEC)
  • Dominic Lovett (All SEC, former 4 star recruit)
  • Ladd McConkey (All SEC)
  • 1st string RB (McIntosh as a RB had 43 catches)
  • RaRa Thomas
  • Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint

High school signees competing for time as well
  • Chandler Smith (4 star)
  • Tyler Williams (4 star)
  • Adam Hopkins (4 star)

Last edited:
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Fart. RaRa's drops and attitude more than cancel out his production. DJ has already been replaced. I liked him and would have preferred to keep him, but you reap what you sow.

Our defense is going to be stout due to the portal. Maybe we take a few more pieces on offense, but it's not necessary.

You either get better or you get worse in each portal window. We got worse in this go round in the portal. There’s no sugarcoating it. How much worse is the only question. The one offensive player who might have NFL ability got snatched by the 2-time defending national champions, which is self-evident that its a big loss. We lost a productive RB who averaged almost 6 YPC. We made up for those two losses by adding only a kicker.

The reasons don’t matter. We’re down two talented players, and neither was replaced. Now, there’s no reason to flip out and say we’re screwed from those two leaving and obviously with the program turnover it’s understandable. And maybe we do better in the May window. But this particular portal period was not a net benefit for our program….at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
i don’t think we lost that much. DJ was good I expect the Juco to come in and play probably just as well. RBs are the most replaceable position. That’s why they don’t have high value in the NFL. Rata was good not great and we have Robinson …now Ducking we need to replace. We got help on D and got key players back. We def need a QB to come in though

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
He can get several catches yes, but he will be down the list, especially since Georgia hid Lovett until AFTER RaRa signed.

Here are the players that will get more catches than him and also ones that will be competing with him out of high school. RaRa will get less passes than the RB I am guessing, he was looking good until Lovett signed. Georgia throws to their #1 TE the most, then their #1 WR (Lovett) and McConkey runs full routes every play so he gets catches as well. RaRa will be in competition with a RB and a #2 WR and there is a slight chance 1 of the 3 four star HS recruits could show up big in spring ball.

• RaRa Thomas

• Adam Hopkins (4 star)
Those are the players that will get more catches if RaRa doesn't step up his game. It may be that RaRa goes to UGA, doesn't do anything to get better, and he's no different than a high school stud that goes to a blue blood and gets lost in the depth chart, except he won't be able to transfer without sitting out a year.

But UGA didn't pay him based on how good he is now, they paid him based on potential. We need players with that sort of potential, even if RaRa's attitude makes it less likely that he's going to reach his.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

• RaRa Thomas

• Adam Hopkins (4 star)
Georgia coaches are likely some of the best evaluators in college football, so I'll trust they see value in him. They didn't sign him to just get him away from us, as we don't play them in 2023.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login