Alright - I wasn't at this point previous weeks but it's time to discuss...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
What's your cutoff for moving on after Year 1 with Arnett?

I think he will stay at 5-7 but 4-8 (0-8) - I think you have to consider moving on. Next year is going to be worse unless we have a portal miracle.

Last edited:

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003

I think he will stay at 5-7 but 4-8 (0-8) - I think you have to consider moving on.
Agree with 4-8 and winless in the SEC, he should get the boot. We have experience on both sides of the ball whom have won many games, but all of the sudden they can't execute. That tells me the system isn't working.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Why are we committed to him? He didn’t earn it. We hired him to keep a class together even though we weren’t going to run the offense they were recruited for. Which makes one wonder why we were so hell bent on keeping it together. He was a panic hire in a dire situation. I’m sure he’ll land a DC job somewhere. Let’s go find a real head coach.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
4-8, or 5-7 time to cut bait. But I don’t see an SEC win moving forward.
We have to look at the fact next year is going to be a rebuild and i think most here would much rather hire someone who through the portal and recruit info can rebuild the program rhan keep a lame duck HC who has already shown the job is to big for him. We won’t be able to land this difference makers from the portal without new leadership. No one is going to hitch their wagon to us for a last year with a lame duck coach. Also, totally understandable to cut ties since we were dealt an unprecedented deal with Leach’s passing.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

I think he will stay at 5-7 but 4-8 (0-8) - I think you have to consider moving on. Next year is going to be worse unless we a portal miracle.
Glad I don’t have to make the call on when to pull the trigger. But winless in the SEC is certainly eyebrow raising. I agree that termination has to be on the table if he’s winless.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I think he will stay at 5-7 but 4-8 (0-8) - I think you have to consider moving on. Next year is going to be worse unless we a portal miracle.
I'm not sure we can make 4-8. I totally agree with you. A lot of people are gonna want us to re-hire Dan Mullen, but I hope we will look for somebody new.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
I'm still on the fence about Arnett, don't care if he stays or goes. I do think he has a lot of learning to do if he stays and is unsure of what his team needs to do offensively. Being he isn't an offensive minded coach, that may be an issue going forward. I saw way too many mind-boggling calls on offense last night especially two key 4th down plays that saw the ball thrown down field. Those are low percentage plays and there were certainly higher percentage plays that could have been called. Arnett should have overridden those calls. The use of Wright is really puzzling, he is brought in for one play and exits. Always a running play and very rarely more than one play in a row. It doesn't really throw any team of on how they want to defend when he enters. It only gives us a mobile Qb and he rarely hands off.

Oct 20, 2022
Unless a miracle happens I’m ready for a change. The Brecky panic hire has most likely set this program back years.
This is what happens when you don't have an experienced AD in place which we didn't at the time the HC was hired. At this point I see little from our new inexperienced AD to have reason this will be handled properly. (i.e. baseball).

rynodawg

May 29, 2007

He needs to find a way to reach 6 wins with this senior laden team, or we need to start over this offseason, offer a proven head coach SEC level money and start re-building the team in 2024.

- Under normal circumstances Arnett never would have been selected.

-The positive to hiring him was program continuity, yet he blew up the offense anyway and failed to pursue a portal transfer QB that could run a non-Leach offense. Was willing to give Barbay a chance to ‘fit the offense to his personnel’, but that has not happened.

-I prefer an offensive HC anyway, to keep continuity on that side of the ball. I dont want to change systems every 3 years on offense.

-Arnett is a defensive HC, yet the defense is porous this year, and we aren’t recruiting well on that side of the ball.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I still stand by my assertion that we know nothing until Arky. Bama talent is just head and shoulders better even when they aren’t clicking as a team. We have plenty of time between now and then that good coaches can correct some things. If our play calling and execution doesn’t indicate that we’ve improved by then…

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'm not sure we can make 4-8. I totally agree with you. A lot of people are gonna want us to re-hire Dan Mullen, but I hope we will look for somebody new.
I’ve been adamantly opposed to Mullen, but with the right contract, inclusive of easy outs for us, and recruiting success criteria, and a blacklist of former Mullen assistants/coordinators, a humble and hungry Mullen could be a winner.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'm still on the fence about Arnett, don't care if he stays or goes. I do think he has a lot of learning to do if he stays and is unsure of what his team needs to do offensively. Being he isn't an offensive minded coach, that may be an issue going forward. I saw way too many mind-boggling calls on offense last night especially two key 4th down plays that saw the ball thrown down field. Those are low percentage plays and there were certainly higher percentage plays that could have been called. Arnett should have overridden those calls. The use of Wright is really puzzling, he is brought in for one play and exits. Always a running play and very rarely more than one play in a row. It doesn't really throw any team of on how they want to defend when he enters. It only gives us a mobile Qb and he rarely hands off.
The fact that we did not give Will a couple of slant options when we needed 6 yards in the red zone, and made him stand in the pocket looking end zone made me want to punch Barbay in the face. We seem incapable of the snap, quick pass to slant quickness that other teams use all the time. Unlike other games, I felt like most of his sacks were play call failures.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Every time they show him on the sidelines he looks dumbfounded. The announcers keep repeating some mantra he said about the coaches aren't involved in the game and it is all on the players at that point. He said in the first interview that the game was closer than the score indicates.

All these are fire able actions. He has NFC on being a head coach. Last year he seemed to be coaching during the game for the defense.

Saban in the mean time is coaching his *** off against a team he so out classes in talent he could have pulled up a lazyboy and a mai tai and taken a nap.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I still stand by my assertion that we know nothing until Arky. Bama talent is just head and shoulders better even when they aren’t clicking as a team. We have plenty of time between now and then that good coaches can correct some things. If our play calling and execution doesn’t indicate that we’ve improved by then…
Maybe but it’s really hard to watch LSUs defense the past 2 weeks and then look at what we did against them.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
The fact that we did not give Will a couple of slant options when we needed 6 yards in the red zone, and made him stand in the pocket looking end zone made me want to punch Barbay in the face. We seem incapable of the snap, quick pass to slant quickness that other teams use all the time. Unlike other games, I felt like most of his sacks were play call failures.
Agreed

Reactions: vandaldawg

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Next week against CMU has got to be a W and it needs to be by at least 2 scores. Using Bama as some type of litmus test is a mistake, but it was obvious against SELA that our defensive line is severely underperforming and that's a big red flag. All the criticism directed at Will is ignoring the fact that this roster has holes everywhere except kicker. Will is not, and has never been billed as a guy who can carry an SEC team that is as deficient as we are.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Every time they show him on the sidelines he looks dumbfounded. The announcers keep repeating some mantra he said about the coaches aren't involved in the game and it is all on the players at that point. He said in the first interview that the game was closer than the score indicates.

All these are fire able actions. He has NFC on being a head coach. Last year he seemed to be coaching during the game for the defense.

Saban in the mean time is coaching his *** off against a team he so out classes in talent he could have pulled up a lazyboy and a mai tai and taken a nap.
One would think from being a pretty good DC that he would know what type of play on offense would work in certain situations or at least has a higher probability of working at the very least.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

bulldognation

Jan 26, 2004
Hell we fired JoMo awfully quick despite him never losing to OM. I just don’t understand the decisions being made in the coaches box. Go for it on 4th and 11, but not on 4th and 4? Wright comes in, executes a perfect read option to walk into the end zone… is fired up and then we hardly see him the rest of the game? Rogers has regressed as a QB… when he’s not throwing INTs he’s putting the ball behind receivers on crossing routes. And even if our guys do manage to twist for a catch, there’s no chance for YAC.
OL is content to allow the pocket to collapse on our immobile QB.
Getting awfully tired of our sequences looking more and more like :
1st down 2 yd run up the middle
2nd down incomplete pass
3rd down -6 yd QB sack
Punt

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Why are we committed to him? He didn’t earn it. We hired him to keep a class together even though we weren’t going to run the offense they were recruited for. Which makes one wonder why we were so hell bent on keeping it together. He was a panic hire in a dire situation. I’m sure he’ll land a DC job somewhere. Let’s go find a real head coach.
You didn't get the memo? He was a rising star and that's what CML would've wanted*****I think both are BS........I think he's a lifelong DC and a decent one but he doesn't exude confidence as a HC.......

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
This is what happens when you don't have an experienced AD in place which we didn't at the time the HC was hired. At this point I see little from our new inexperienced AD to have reason this will be handled properly. (i.e. baseball).
Do we have an AD? I may be in Texas but I haven't seen him once and we do have TV and internet in Austin.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Why keep him if we have a losing record? His best, most important offensive player is a good Air Raid QB with limitations making him best suited for an Air Raid style of offense. Most players were recruited by the last head coach for that system, including the frosh QB others want to see. We don't use that system any longer and it shows. Defense is especially bad. I'm generally more surprised to see the other team punt than score. We might actually be a a little better team now than when the season started but that's not good enough for the SEC. We're usually able to pick off a couple of mid-tier SEC teams. If we don't do that, why stick with this plan? Not sure why Pittman doesn't give Woody a spell more. He looks good when he plays.

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Except for Vandy, State is in the worst or most difficult position in the SEC compared to other SEC schools. We need a high quality coach HC and a favorable schedule to win 8-9 games. The other schools offer law and medical degrees along with engineering. They have rich graduates. That matters.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004

Nick Saban going apeshit on the sidelines is one of his weaknesses, NOT his strengths. Saban succeeds because of his superior recruiting, game preparation, and having 30 "advisers" helping him gameplan in addition to his regular football staff.

Nick was stroking out because Alabama's players were beating us without any intensity, and he's worried about Tennessee next week. He doesn't want the same lack of effort against the Vols.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
5-7 and he needs to go. The SEC is way down and we have a team of players who have won a lot of games. I see no indication that he knew what to do to start this season and I haven’t seen much to show he is learning on the job. There have been offensive improvements but 99% of the armchair QBs online could have made those very obvious adjustments (like throw it more than 17 times).

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
5-7 was my floor for this year and expectations were higher than that. If he goes 4-8 some serious discussions need to be had. The second half of this schedule will show who we are. The offense should be the best it can be by then and all our winnable games are on the backend.

Reactions: vandaldawg

kired

Aug 22, 2008
You see how often we were changing offensive personnel last night? One drive it seemed like we changed almost every play. Hell, there was one where the TEs swapped then 98 came back on at the last second. I’ve never seen anything like it. We did score on that drive so guess it worked… but looking really odd. It’s like our OC is calling plays on a video game with no thought of trying to get into a rhythm. Our guys probably run a mile during 4 quarters just coming on & off the field.

Reactions: Pookieray

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

All these are fire able actions. He has NFC on being a head coach.
Is this an old post about Crxxm ? **

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Face it people. Arnett was not even a great DC. Those defenses that half this board love were not very highly ranked and now look what we have. And why ? Half the D "ran it back". The OL totally sucks but they are running an entirely different scheme. We never had pulling guards or any thing complicated in the AR so I can give them a pass. This O might be clicking by the end of the year. Salmon should be looking at least. If you think we are winning a SEC game this year you are expecting a miracle. Do you expect us to stop KJ or Dart or Jarquez Hunter or Leary snd company ? I don't. I hope I am wrong but I don't see it improving on that side.

Reactions: blitz2Win

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
You see how often we were changing offensive personnel last night? One drive it seemed like we changed almost every play. Hell, there was one where the TEs swapped then 98 came back on at the last second. I’ve never seen anything like it. We did score on that drive so guess it worked… but looking really odd. It’s like our OC is calling plays on a video game with no thought of trying to get into a rhythm. Our guys probably run a mile during 4 quarters just coming on & off the field.
i noticed. there is just no chance of continuity with how we do things.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login