Alright - I wasn't at this point previous weeks but it's time to discuss...

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Face it people. Arnett was not even a great DC. Those defenses that half this board love were not very highly ranked and now look what we have. And why ? Half the D "ran it back". The OL totally sucks but they are running an entirely different scheme. We never had pulling guards or any thing complicated in the AR so I can give them a pass. This O might be clicking by the end of the year. Salmon should be looking at least. If you think we are winning a SEC game this year you are expecting a miracle. Do you expect us to stop KJ or Dart or Jarquez Hunter or Leary snd company ? I don't. I hope I am wrong but I don't see it improving on that side.
i think there were about 5 plays that changed the game from being competitive or being in the game to what we wound up with. And all of them were on offense. You could also say not recovering either of the fumbles were part of it also. Will's interceptions were really, really bad and game changing plays as were the 2 fourth down deep passes. The last one Will never came off the guy he threw to and had at least 2 defenders on him.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
The other schools offer law and medical degrees along with engineering. They have rich graduates. That matters.
That’s due to our state’s historical OM majority legislature. They want to ensure MSU (including Starkville) doesn’t outpace OM and Oxford even when there are dying healthcare needs in our state. The fact that State’s nursing program is being housed in Meridian is a prime example. There’s rumors State will add therapy to the Meridian campus. Recruiting highly trained staff to move to Meridian is destined to fail. It would be a huge opportunity for State to move forward especially since the state’s largest kinesiology department is on its main campus. It just sad how politics plays into our school and states most important decisions and we only have a small foot in the door.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Right. They won't fire him. Losing to USM might create a discussion but they still won't actually do it. We should beat them pretty easily tho. We will be able to block them and that will allow the run and also give Will enough time to find his receivers. Hopefully our D won't be pushed around. I see 4-8 unless we get better magically

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
i think there were about 5 plays that changed the game from being competitive or being in the game to what we wound up with. And all of them were on offense. You could also say not recovering either of the fumbles were part of it also. Will's interceptions were really, really bad and game changing plays as were the 2 fourth down deep passes. The last one Will never came off the guy he threw to and had at least 2 defenders on him.
Truth.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
That’s due to our state’s historical OM majority legislature. They want to ensure MSU (including Starkville) doesn’t outpace OM and Oxford even when there are dying healthcare needs in our state. The fact that State’s nursing program is being housed in Meridian is a prime example. There’s rumors State will add therapy to the Meridian campus. Recruiting highly trained staff to move to Meridian is destined to fail. It would be a huge opportunity for State to move forward especially since the state’s largest kinesiology department is on its main campus. It just sad how politics plays into our school and states most important decisions and we only have a small foot in the door.
It was a lot worse in the past than it is now. Look how long they drug their feet getting decent roads into Starkville.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
It would be one thing if he had no experienced players coming back, but we had more returning experience than most of the SEC. I don't know what they did during spring or fall practice, but this is a poorly coached and prepared team. Also, I don't believe our instate recruiting is setting the world on fire either. This is stupid, inexperienced coaching from Arnett, and lazy coaching from the rest of the staff.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
Nick Saban going apeshit on the sidelines is one of his weaknesses, NOT his strengths. Saban succeeds because of his superior recruiting, game preparation, and having 30 "advisers" helping him gameplan in addition to his regular football staff.

Nick was stroking out because Alabama's players were beating us without any intensity, and he's worried about Tennessee next week. He doesn't want the same lack of effort against the Vols.
It's definitely a strength. Nick is stroking out because his guy aren't doing their 17ing job. Great coaches aren't just looking at the score. They are looking at each individual play. Do your job. Win the play. Every Snap. With Relentless Intensity(tm). The rest takes care of itself. The only team that can beat you, is you. Doesn't matter who you're playing, how much time is left, or the venue. Do your 17ing job.

Saban stroking out with 3m left and a 20+pt lead is why he's got 6 natties. He just wants people to do their job for a full 60mins or as long as it takes, from the offices to the booth to the grass. Up 30? Put the backups in and make them do their job. He's like that pretty much every game, no matter who they play.

Talent and assistants definitely put him over the moon, but his expectations of his team/staff is not a weakness.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Nick Saban going apeshit on the sidelines is one of his weaknesses, NOT his strengths. Saban succeeds because of his superior recruiting, game preparation, and having 30 "advisers" helping him gameplan in addition to his regular football staff.

Nick was stroking out because Alabama's players were beating us without any intensity, and he's worried about Tennessee next week. He doesn't want the same lack of effort against the Vols.
AYFKM? For 10 SEC titles and 7 National Championships I'll take that weakness.

Simmer

Jun 21, 2013
How we are playing, 4-8 is looking like our realistic outcome. I just don't see us beating an SEC team this year.

Reactions: vandaldawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
If he can't make it to 6-6 with an upper classmen roster we screwed. Even jo mo won 6. It's his defense that pisses me off the most. We can't stop anyone! Next year will be worse. I'd rather rebuild with a cosch that knows what he is doing. Bring in Mullen Malzahn or someone that knows how to build a team and succeed in the SEC. Doesn't have to be those guys but they are a known commodity like leach was

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Forget it. Not going to happen. Maybe if he goes 3-9, but even then I think he's back.
It was a weird circumstance hire. It's not like we did a search and brought in a coach from somewhere. He was interim and in the mindset of not losing recruits bracky and keenum panicked without having the AD yet and brought him on full time. I like Zach. I can tell he really wants this to work snd is just as frustrated as we are but he is the coach. He was responsible for recruiting and calling defense for years. He made the offense change. His defense looks the worst it ever has

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2012
Except for Vandy, State is in the worst or most difficult position in the SEC compared to other SEC schools. We need a high quality coach HC and a favorable schedule to win 8-9 games. The other schools offer law and medical degrees along with engineering. They have rich graduates. That matters.
☝🏻
That right there

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
End the bowl streak...

Reactions: Darryl Steight

HotMop

May 8, 2006
What's your cutoff for moving on after Year 1 with Arnett?

I think he will stay at 5-7 but 4-8 (0-8) - I think you have to consider moving on. Next year is going to be worse unless we have a portal miracle.
We're going 3-9, bank it.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
We’re hurting Arnett’s career more if we hold on to him another year versus cutting him loose in Dec. He can go be USC’s DC next year and rehab there. It’s clear he’s in over his head in the interviews. We have to move on if we finish below 6-6.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
They are going to have to get rid of him just for financial reasons. If the rest of this season goes the way it appears to be going, fan support next year will be lower than it has been since the croom years. They have to hire someone that gives hope and gets the fans excited. He just can’t stay.

TheDawgSaint

Jan 18, 2021
You have to consider the amount of seniors on this team. From a roster stand point will you ever have a better time that now to make the move. 4-8 and you have to make the move.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
4-8 is likely. Hire Mullen and be done with it.
We have a better chance of re-hiring Jackie Sherril than we do re-hiring the Dopester. It seemed he was never happy here and was always looking to leave for other gigs. He’s got FU kind of money thanks to us and Flarda. He’s got a high paying, stress free gig with ESPN. He and his boys were lazy recruiters and that was prior to the free agency and NIL complications in today’s game.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Send him on now, but then again, we do the bare minimum to be "sec football".

Vandy is the only sec school we can beat this year, and I'm not sure this team could win that game on the road.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006

I think he will stay at 5-7 but 4-8 (0-8) - I think you have to consider moving on. Next year is going to be worse unless we have a portal miracle.
Last night. He looked more ready to leave than the folks pouring out at halftime. It was a stupid, reactionary hire in the first place.

Reactions: knock him out john

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006

For me, 4-8 (0-8) and Arnett is back. If he loses to directional Michigan or heaven forbid Mississippi Normal, then fire away. That is unless we have Malzhan or the Wazzou coach lined up.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Past that mark already.

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005

Losing record+looking bad (no improvement)+losing to Mississippi=Move on (5-7)

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We have a better chance of re-hiring Jackie Sherril than we do re-hiring the Dopester. It seemed he was never happy here and was always looking to leave for other gigs. He’s got FU kind of money thanks to us and Flarda. He’s got a high paying, stress free gig with ESPN. He and his boys were lazy recruiters and that was prior to the free agency and NIL complications in today’s game.
Disagree on recruiting. He picked athletes snd develop. His defensive players he recruited was the best we have had at msu. Just look at the guys in the nfl. Many of those guys were not 5 stars. Only Jones snd Simmons. Then we had a lot of good linemen and running backs get developed. Qb play we always got more when he had his type of guy snd would decide, 13 and 16 he didn't start the guy he should have at the beginning of the season. The problem with Dan now is this is his second season removed. He seems happy to keep doing that.

Reactions: patdog

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I still stand by my assertion that we know nothing until Arky. Bama talent is just head and shoulders better even when they aren’t clicking as a team. We have plenty of time between now and then that good coaches can correct some things. If our play calling and execution doesn’t indicate that we’ve improved by then…

Not trying to be cute here ate all, but do we truthfully have any reason to believe that we have good coaches on either side of the ball to achieve this?

Reactions: Bulldawg77

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
he isn’t ready. We need a new HC but we have to find one who gets the portal. We got zero from the portal you don’t have to have a terrible team next year with the portal. Mullen isn’t the answer he will not play the recruiting game which is now double. I would throw bank at Kansas Coach

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I haven't read all the posts but if he beats OM to go 5 - 7 and subsequently knocks them out of a major bowl....his job security is better than most of posters.
Conversely, experience says if this team looks totally lifeless against UMiss in Starkville, then he will be fired by halftime.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Elect better leaders. But, if you elect lawyers, that might not work well. If you elect conservative lawyers with Ole Miss degrees who say government is the problem, expect them to use government to favor Ole Miss.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'll reserve judgement to see how the rest of the season plays out. I don't think Arnett is a Moorhead level hire, but if we don't start showing some life the next few weeks and get an SEC win, some hard decisions may be needed.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
AYFKM? For 10 SEC titles and 7 National Championships I'll take that weakness.
He doesn't do that nowadays when he's in big games. It's like John McEnroe back in the day- when he was playing a nobody, he'd show his *** to the refs. He never did that in the big matches like Borg or Connors.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login