AM radio might be extinct in a few years

patdog

May 28, 2007
Much more concerning, GM is planning to remove Apple Car Play & Android Auto from upcoming models. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Muttley

Aug 22, 2012
Maybe we'll get an FM station in the Meridian area to carry our broadcasts. WMOX was great in the heyday, but you can't pick it up unless you're in the cow pasture outside the station in downtown Russell.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Much more concerning, GM is planning to remove Apple Car Play & Android Auto from upcoming models. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.
They’re gonna have their own software…. I’m sure it costs an arm and a leg to offer those services. If it’s a success, it may spell the end for poor***** Apple and Google in the auto space.

My apple car play can be awfully buggy sometimes, too. It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out…. I’ll never buy a GM vehicle, so I’ll have to ask others how it’s going.

Reactions: dawgman42

patdog

May 28, 2007
They’re gonna have their own software…. I’m sure it costs an arm and a leg to offer those services. If it’s a success, it may spell the end for poor***** Apple and Google in the auto space.

My apple car play can be awfully buggy sometimes, too. It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out…. I’ll never buy a GM vehicle, so I’ll have to ask others how it’s going.
I’ll never buy a GM either. But no Car Play would be a deal breaker for me. It’s a major battle over control over vehicles infotainment & systems other controls. Gonna be real interesting to see which side wins.

Reactions: AFDawg and turkish

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’ll never buy a GM either. But no Car Play would be a deal breaker for me. It’s a major battle over control over vehicles infotainment & systems other controls. Gonna be real interesting to see which side wins.
Well I’ll just figure it out because I’m not buying a Dodge or Ford diesel. 17ing rattle traps after about 30,000 miles.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Most likely to remove conservative opinion from the airwaves.
That should help the Republican Party by keeping their voters from overreacting to minor cultural stuff. Maybe they can focus on public policy now that appeals to a majority of voters. The big Republican landslides in national elections were before conservative radio became a popular form of entertainment.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It would be interesting to see how % of adults listen to AM radio.
And then really interesting to see the breakdown by age.
18-29
30-44
45-60
60+

Total guess, but 90% is probably in the older 2 groups.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Honestly, I didn’t know that AM radio still existed. Haven’t tried to tune in an AM radio station in at least 30 or more years. Back in the day (I’m talking before many of you were even born) we used to listen to KAAY radio (can’t remember the city it was located in) as well as WLS (I think it was in Chicago) late at night. There was a cat named “Wolfman Jack” on one of those stations, and there was also a late night radio show on one of them called “Beeker Street” that a lot of people tuned into. After that we started listening to WJDX FM (out of Jackson), which I believe later became WZZQ FM. Long time ago. Long, long time ago. I’m pretty sure that WZZQ went from classic rock format to country over 30 years ago. That’s the point when I stopped listening to music on FM radio.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Grew up here in Mississippi listening to WLS am radio out of Chicago at night. Good times. The night time D.J. That you other old timers might remember was Larry Lujack. Also listened to bulldog baseball on WSSO am radio out of Starkville. The World was a bigger, kinder place back then.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
What’s their reasoning for this?

about the time I finally break off and buy a vehicle with that option they are gonna pull it. My luck.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
That should help the Republican Party by keeping their voters from overreacting to minor cultural stuff. Maybe they can focus on public policy now that appeals to a majority of voters. The big Republican landslides in national elections were before conservative radio became a popular form of entertainment.
That's about like saying busting the local drug dealer is gonna help the addicts. Nah, they'll just get more desperate in finding a way to get their fix. I will never understand why cons need their opinions spoonfed to them 24-7. It's very strange and cultlike behavior.

At some point enough Boomers will die and their terrible politics will go with them. Then both Parties will have to adjust, and things will get better. Most of our current politics revolves around cons trying to entrench methods to keep policies in place without electoral support. The less successful those efforts are, the quicker the fix comes.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I seriously doubt anyone listens to AM radio. How do they even sell ads ? I rarely listen to FM.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
That's about like saying busting the local drug dealer is gonna help the addicts. Nah, they'll just get more desperate in finding a way to get their fix. I will never understand why cons need their opinions spoonfed to them 24-7. It's very strange and cultlike behavior.

At some point enough Boomers will die and their terrible politics will go with them. Then both Parties will have to adjust, and things will get better. Most of our current politics revolves around cons trying to entrench methods to keep policies in place without electoral support. The less successful those efforts are, the quicker the fix comes.
You are so right. As if the electorate actually wanted a closed border, lower inflation, less crime, strong military, and their kids not sexualized at 3 years old. At least wait until they are 10 or 11, am I right ? Silly conservative talking points

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Honestly, I didn’t know that AM radio still existed. Haven’t tried to tune in an AM radio station in at least 30 or more years. Back in the day (I’m talking before many of you were even born) we used to listen to KAAY radio (can’t remember the city it was located in) as well as WLS (I think it was in Chicago) late at night. There was a cat named “Wolfman Jack” on one of those stations, and there was also a late night radio show on one of them called “Beeker Street” that a lot of people tuned into. After that we started listening to WJDX FM (out of Jackson), which I believe later became WZZQ FM. Long time ago. Long, long time ago. I’m pretty sure that WZZQ went from classic rock format to country over 30 years ago. That’s the point when I stopped listening to music on FM radio.
Who was the guy at night who gave advice? Based out of FL I believe? Art Bell was awesome too.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
I can’t remember his name-but I remember the guy you are talking about. Like you, I remember he was based out of Florida.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I get like 1 AM station on a clear day and maybe 2 on a cloudy one. Feels like it's extinct already

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
KAAY Little Rock. Beaker Street originated there

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I don't ever do AM or FM. Did a 4 hr road trip yesterday, turned on Bluetooth soon as I got in truck and did nothing but Pandora the whole time. Music and pods, why would I want to listen to car dealership, grocery store, and florists ads? When I want weather I can get it at the touch of a button for anywhere in the world and not have to wait on the radio. Sports scores, same thing. I get severe weather alerts on my phone sooner than tv or radio give them. Broadcast radio is a dinosaur

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
You are so right. As if the electorate actually wanted a closed border, lower inflation, less crime, strong military, and their kids not sexualized at 3 years old. At least wait until they are 10 or 11, am I right ? Silly conservative talking points
As if the Republican Party actually cared about any of those things, or had policies that actually addressed them.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
The only thing I might miss on AM radio is Handle on the Law. Bill's disbelief at his caller's stupidity is some of the best entertainment around.

Reactions: Fritz!

BigMac350

May 14, 2023
Remember listening to KMOX after the Cards and Blues games. There was a late night guy named Jim White. He called himself the Big Bopper. That man loved to argue with his callers. Fun times to listen to him

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Well I’ll just figure it out because I’m not buying a Dodge or Ford diesel. 17ing rattle traps after about 30,000 miles.
My next door neighbor owns a diesel mechanic shop. He said he loves Fords because they keep the shop doors open and his wife in diamonds. He says that the Cummins engine in the Dodge is the best motor but the transmission and chassis aren’t up to snuff. He drives a GMC. He says the Duramax and Allison transmission are an unbeatable combination. He says that he rarely works on one.

Aug 22, 2012
Bruce Williams was the advice guy. Cut my radio teeth at a station that ran him on AM. If he wasn’t on the air….the phones lit up. He had a hell of a following.

Art Bell had Coast to Coast AM. Talked about UFOs and such. Google his “contrails” episodes. There is a whole subculture of people who think airplane contrails are spraying bad stuff on us. Crazy as that show could get its ratings were fantastic.

AM won’t completely die. It will be niche radio. Most stations that still have an AM on the air were allotted an FM frequency a few years back in anticipation of the band being removed from cars. We have found our niche and it’s an easy sell.

As for FM…..nothing like finding someone who has dropped a pile of cash on Facebook and Google and then getting them on FM and listening to them say how much better a spend local radio is as far as getting customers in the door. Hell we even have folks in the gig economy on our station.
Best part for me, it’s a side gig.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I grew up on WLS fading in and out with guys like John Records Landecker doing the Boogie Check. There was nothing like hearing Dream On or The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald over some ****** radio speaker. I started my radio career as a DJ/Engineer doing AM Sunday morning gospel shows on a tiny NE Mississippi station. AM is moving ahead of FM in its slow death due to Satellite Radio and Android/Car Play.

P.S. Only the usual clowns on this page could take a thread about AM 17ing Radio and turn it political. I don't know how to tell you this, but you won't win any elections on an MSU sports page.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
P.S. Only the usual clowns on this page could take a thread about AM 17ing Radio and turn it political. I don't know how to tell you this, but you won't win any elections on an MSU sports page.
I haven't commented on this from a political perspective.
At the same time, I hear 'AM radio' and almost immediately think of conservative talk radio. They go hand in hand in the modern era since this isn't 50 years ago when AM a was more than it has been for the last 20 years.
That isn't commentary about it being right or wrong or good or bad- it's just observational- thars what I think of when I hear 'AM radio'.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
At the same time, I hear 'AM radio' and almost immediately think of conservative talk radio. They go hand in hand in the modern era since this isn't 50 years ago when AM a was more than it has been for the last 20 years.
That isn't commentary about it being right or wrong or good or bad- it's just observational- thars what I think of when I hear 'AM radio'.
That’s weird. I think of static when I think of AM radio. I haven’t listened to AM or FM radio in 15 years.

Most all modern conservative media presence is online anyway.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
There is a disconnect. I think and talk about music and radio. I've never listened to anyone who spoke more than 2 sentences on any radio station. I'm into music. To me personally, I don't care for it and know very little about it. Sorry I forgot about the generations that would look at AM another way, but they weren't talking about talk radio in a general sense. Isn't NPR on am stations.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
There is a disconnect. I think and talk about music and radio. I've never listened to anyone who spoke more than 2 sentences on any radio station. I'm into music. To me personally, I don't care for it and know very little about it. Sorry I forgot about the generations that would look at AM another way, but they weren't talking about talk radio in a general sense. Isn't NPR on am stations.
Npr is on FM here, but yeah it's probably on AM too, so it can reach the sticks.
I don't remember the last time I listened to AM radio. I think here it's a news station, Teo sports talk stations, a few church stations, and a stations that have various levels of crazy talk radio people. I genuinely don't know how those in that last group vote.

Really, iw as just going off what I have heard as a stereotype- AM is conservative talk radio heaven.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login