AM radio might be extinct in a few years

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
My first thoughts about AM radio are live sports and EXTREMELY local radio. Sometimes, in my travels between Texas and Mississippi, an AM station is where I can tune in a game when streaming isn’t working. There are a hundred radio stations (owned by 2-3 companies) in DFW, but the only radio station based in my (used to be) small town is KBEC AM 1390.

That being said, I’m at a point where my car radio is:
1. A podcast
2. Amazon music unlimited
3. NPR Music 91.7

Reactions: mstateglfr

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Only removing it in EVs. Regular vehicles will continue to have CarPlay.
That's not what I read. Story I read said auto manufacturers wanted to phaseout Apple and Android and do their own interface systems because the data they can collect will be another revenue stream for them, one that is currently captured by goggle or apple. Going to be interesting to see how that plays out. Would not expect the automanufacturers to come up with a more seamless system than Apple or Google although I guess automanufactuers already deal with tons of software.

I am curious whether Apple and Google take the car interface systems into account now when they make changes to their phone software. They still will have an incentive to do so when they aren't making the interface system b/c it will be a competitive disadvantage if their phone is buggier with car interface systems. But the flipside is that the car manufacturers will have an incentive to scramble and update for any changes so their systems aren't seen as buggy.

The AM radio is just EVs for now because the electric engines apparently make it harder to pick up AM radiowaves.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
It would be interesting to see how % of adults listen to AM radio.
And then really interesting to see the breakdown by age.
18-29
30-44
45-60
60+

Total guess, but 90% is probably in the older 2 groups.
I'm in that 45-60 group and I don't think I've ever listened to AM radio a day in my life. Even as a teenager, I remember wondering what the point of AM radio even was since everything I wanted to listen to was on FM.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
That's about like saying busting the local drug dealer is gonna help the addicts. Nah, they'll just get more desperate in finding a way to get their fix. I will never understand why cons need their opinions spoonfed to them 24-7. It's very strange and cultlike behavior.

At some point enough Boomers will die and their terrible politics will go with them. Then both Parties will have to adjust, and things will get better. Most of our current politics revolves around cons trying to entrench methods to keep policies in place without electoral support. The less successful those efforts are, the quicker the fix comes.

fully agree. Things are going to really be awesome when the US is ran like the large cities. And the politics that have dominated them.

The scholars that come out of Baltimore schools, the peace and tranquility of Chicago, the outdoorsy living of the street residents in Portland, the relocation of corporations and businesses out of San Francisco giving it the ultimate in walkability and privacy for sidewalk deification, the continued manufacturing prowess and wealth of Detroit, the relaxed nature of Seattle with the folks resting on the sidewalks after they practice their medical injection skills, the ethical standards set by the attorney’s office in St Louis, the joyfulness and welcoming spirit of Memphis at night, even the ethical, transparent, integrity filled, buck stops here attitude of the leadership our own Jackson, MS.

I so look forward to those days. Brings a tear to the eye.

Last edited:

WestDawg

Aug 24, 2012
I’m in my forties, but used to listen to a ton of AM radio growing up and when I was coaching out west. Also, Traveling a lot on weekends with my dad at night when I was growing up -listened to lots of sports talk, political talk, and some crazy shows.
My favorite years ago was COAST TO COAST with Art Bell & George Noory. Art was a great host….wild show topics but interesting - especially at 1 AM in the middle of nowhere TX on I-20 driving all by yourself.
I loved hearing a life perspective from all those different types of shows on AM that most ppl my age never broached.
but i can never find an AM channel anymore that comes in clear. Catch myself a lot flipping over searching to no avail, drives my wife crazy.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
fully agree. Things are going to really be awesome when the US is ran like the large cities. And the politics that have dominated them.

The scholars that come out of Baltimore schools, the peace and tranquility of Chicago, the outdoorsy living of the street residents in Portland, the relocation of corporations and businesses out of San Francisco giving it the ultimate in walkability and privacy for sidewalk deification, the continued manufacturing prowess and wealth of Detroit, the relaxed nature of Seattle with the folks resting on the sidewalks after they practice their medical injection skills, the ethical standards set by the attorney’s office in St Louis, the joyfulness and welcoming spirit of Memphis at night, even the ethical, transparent, integrity filled, buck stops here attitude of the leadership our own Jackson, MS.

I so look forward to those days. Brings a tear to the eye.
Did I say the Dems were right on everything? No? Ok, try again. Jesus H Christ, can a man ask that one Party be better without it being immediately cleansed of all sins because the other Party does stupid stuff too?

Reactions: FQDawg

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Did I say the Dems were right on everything? No? Ok, try again. Jesus H Christ, can a man ask that one Party be better without it being immediately cleansed of all sins because the other Party does stupid stuff too?
There's this old saying...how does it go? Something about glass houses. And stones. Work on your own party before worrying about the one and people you detest

Reactions: WilCoDawg

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
- Grew up listening to my parents listening to Bruce Williams on Talknet. Learned a little about a lot of things on that show. Seems like Sally Jesse Raphael also had a decent, helpful radio show before she went for sensationalized trash TV.
- In the 80s and early 90s I loved driving through rural areas on a Friday night listening to local high school football broadcasts. And the local "swap shop" shows on Saturday mornings were also great. "Bernice says she has a butter churn with a broken handle -- but it still works -- that she'd like to trade for some used chicken wire or a few burlap bags."
- At State, I'd have El Rushbo on the van radio as I delivered campus mail.
- Whatever decline is happening to AM radio now would have happened 30 years ago if it weren't for Limbaugh and the creation of national conservative talk. He created an industry that saved the medium.
- Most of the AM stations in Atlanta that I used to listen to - sports, talk - have FM broadcasts now and have for a decade or more.

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009
18-29
30-44
45-60
60+

I’m in the 45-60 group and grew up in the sticks, and probably haven’t listened to AM radio a total of 5 minutes in my life. I don’t associate it with any kind of programming, other than static like someone else said. I probably also haven’t listened to a total of 5 minutes of FM radio in the last 5 years - I listen to satellite radio or streaming stuff like podcasts, audiobook, or music, depending on whether the kids are with me and how long my drive is.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
There's this old saying...how does it go? Something about glass houses. And stones. Work on your own party before worrying about the one and people you detest
There's also one about walking and chewing gum at the same time.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
18-29
30-44
45-60
60+

early 50's. Listened to AM as a child 62 WJDX home of the Green Weenie. First truck had AM only radio with single in dash speaker. Paper cone driver that UV killed so quickly that it sounded like crap in short order.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Ohhhhh.. that was the spirit and tone of your original post. Guess I read it too quickly or something. Obviously a major oversight.

• Haha
Reactions: WilCoDawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Ohhhhh.. that was the spirit and tone of your original post. Guess I read it too quickly or something. Obviously a major oversight.
Yes, you did:

"Then both Parties will have to adjust, and things will get better."

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login