Anderson Garcia in the Portal

kired

Aug 22, 2008
That one does hurt - fun to watch how hard that kid played

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Seems like it may be that if the Hump renovations aren't ready in time for next season it won't really matter.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It’s reached the point where I’ve completely given up trying to project rosters for the upcoming year. Historically, teams like us might have one kid thinking about the pros, one leaving for PT, and maybe one more that’s just not happy. For the last 2-3 years, though, it’s like you’re doing well if half your roster doesn’t bolt. And it’s not just us. After another pretty strong finish to the year, Memphis has 5 in the portal and another 4-5 testing the NBA waters.

There was a time when not just talented, but all-SEC talented guys like Austin, Bowers, Gordon, Rhodes, JV, and Roberts stayed for 3-4 years. That time is clearly gone, though.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Whoever is benefiting from these players leaving early must be showing them data that backs up it's not worth it to stay in college if pro basketball is the ultimate goal. I wish CBB would adopt the baseball option. Go pro outta high school or wait 3 years.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Whoever is benefiting from these players leaving early must be showing them data that backs up it's not worth it to stay in college if pro basketball is the ultimate goal. I wish CBB would adopt the baseball option. Go pro outta high school or wait 3 years.

Even if the NBA were to agree to the 3 year rule, there are all the foreign leagues that wouldnt agree. Part of why the MLB rule is effective is because its basically either MLB or Japan for legitimate professional options. In basketball, there is the NBA, but also the NBL, LNB(like a dozen of them, but I mean Argentina), CBA, B.League, PBA, BBL, Liga, VTB(back when Russia was a lesser devil), Serie A, BSL, GBL, BBL, LNB, and dozens more leagues that are top tier domestic leagues and will pay up.

It isnt for college basketball to adopt the 3 year rule. The 3 year rule in an MLB rule and the lack of realistic alternative options makes it effectively a college rule.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login