Angel Hernandez

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
mariah carey first pitch GIF

STRIKE!

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I used to know the name of the guy that ruined the no-hitter with the missed call at first. No idea if he's still active, though.

ETA: I used to know something I forgot. "Broadcasting school is really paying off."

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
MLB needs more Tom Hallions

That is awesome. I love hearing the open mics on those arguments between umps and coaches, because when you're watching it live and can't hear it looks like they hate each other and cussing each other out. Then when you hear it, it's "You know my *** in in a jackpot here, Terry" LOL

Reactions: Drebin

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
When it comes to egregious calls, it feels as though Hernandez is the biggest culprit. But is he the game’s worst umpire? The answer to that, statistically, is no.

According to Dylan Yep, who founded and runs Umpire Auditor since 2014, he’s ranked as the 60th to 70th best umpire, out of 85-to-90, in any given season.

This is from a profile The Athletic ran last week on Hernandez trying to convince readers that he gets a bad rap. “He’s actually only bottom third” is damning with faint praise.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
What amazes me is how clueless some officials are to how bad they are. You can see the elite athletes that dedicate hours and hours of training and practice to be elite. Then you have officials that are proven by video reviews to be awful and score low in how many calls they get right. The very opposite of elite among their peers. How can you have them determining the success of these athletes and billion dollar franchises. It's absurd.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Reports are coming out that Angel Hernandez's retirement came out from a meeting with top MLB officials. Officials were questioning Hernandez's ability to see and comprehend correctly.

Angel got so worked up that he stormed out and slammed the door behind himself...

It took Angel 10 minutes to realize he had walked into a closet...

His announcement of retirement came soon after.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023
When it comes to egregious calls, it feels as though Hernandez is the biggest culprit. But is he the game’s worst umpire? The answer to that, statistically, is no.

According to Dylan Yep, who founded and runs Umpire Auditor since 2014, he’s ranked as the 60th to 70th best umpire, out of 85-to-90, in any given season.

This is from a profile The Athletic ran last week on Hernandez trying to convince readers that he gets a bad rap. “He’s actually only bottom third” is damning with faint praise.
Well, its obvious to anyone who has watched a ballgame umped by bungle hernandez that Dylan Yep is terrible at analyzing umpires if he thinks that there are 20-30 umpires worse than hernandez on the planet, much less in MLB.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login