Anonymous SEC Coach: State will miss Leach

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Anonymous SEC coach to Lindy's: "I say this respectfully, but I say it factually: I don't think they will be as good without Mike Leach. Mike did a phenomenal job. I think that coaching change will have the most drastic effect of any change in the league in the last couple of years…"

This is not a surprising opinion from an opposing coach. In fact, this is probably the most popular opinion for a program that lost its Buccaneer of a leader. Quarterback Will Rogers returns for another campaign as the Bulldogs' starter, but is transitioning from the Air Raid to a pro-style scheme. That could come with hiccups. Link

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Anonymous SEC coach to Lindy's: "I say this respectfully, but I say it factually: I don't think they will be as good without Mike Leach. Mike did a phenomenal job. I think that coaching change will have the most drastic effect of any change in the league in the last couple of years…"

This is not a surprising opinion from an opposing coach. In fact, this is probably the most popular opinion for a program that lost its Buccaneer of a leader. Quarterback Will Rogers returns for another campaign as the Bulldogs' starter, but is transitioning from the Air Raid to a pro-style scheme. That could come with hiccups. Link
I bet that same coach will pick us to finish 7th in the west. And then next year to finish 16th.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I have no idea how good we will be on offense. And the offensive transition could cost us some games, but we should be decent on defense. Last year we were a top-5 defense in the SEC statistically and get a lot back. And the coaching change shouldn't affect continuity on that side of the ball. Not having Forbes is big, but that is about the only negative.

Having a top defense (if I'm right) will be significant against Ole Miss, A&M, Kentucky, Arkansas, Auburn, and South Carolina. Too bad only two of those games are at home.

Reactions: onewoof

patdog

May 28, 2007
Stupid take. Leach did a pretty good job, but nothing Dan Mullen or Jackie Sherrill didn't do. Really, even Joe Moorhead just going by the record. No one really has any idea what to expect from MSU football this fall, but I'm guessing it won't be much different than it's been for most of the last 30 years, excluding the Croom era.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Rogers was really good under Leach. I hope he doesn't regress in the new system. 8 wins will be a good season.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I have no idea how good we will be on offense. And the offensive transition could cost us some games
People keep saying this and it's stupid IMO. We can't be any worse offensively than we were last year at times. This idea that we're going to take a step back from last year is horrific to consider, given how bad we were offensively last year. And before anyone comes back with offensive stats, those are skewed by playing terrible opponents. Our offense was horrible against virtually everyone with a pulse on defense.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

I say this respectfully, but I say it factually:

Brian Kelly let a kid die on his watch.
Jimbo Fisher is an arrogant redneck ******* and terrible coach who happens to have a school with an $18 billion endowment behind him.
Lane Kiffin is a desperate cocky ******* who has done nothing yet gets constantly fellatioed by the most desperate fanbase in the country.
I can't even remember the fatass's name who coaches UPig.
Nick Saban is literally satan in a straw hat.
Hugh Freeze is... good lord, I can't even.

Excuse me while I'm over here not giving AF what any of these lowlife scumbags think we will or won't be without Coach Leach.

patdog

May 28, 2007
People keep saying this and it's stupid IMO. We can't be any worse offensively than we were last year at times. This idea that we're going to take a step back from last year is horrific to consider, given how bad we were offensively last year. And before anyone comes back with offensive stats, those are skewed by playing terrible opponents. Our offense was horrible against virtually everyone with a pulse on defense.
Even the stats weren't that great. 11th in total offense, 9th in touchdowns, 12th in yards per play. If we're much worse than that this fall, God help us.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Stupid take. Leach did a pretty good job, but nothing Dan Mullen or Jackie Sherrill didn't do. Really, even Joe Moorhead just going by the record. No one really has any idea what to expect from MSU football this fall, but I'm guessing it won't be much different than it's been for most of the last 30 years, excluding the Croom era.
And can probably extend it to 50 years.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007

Thanks, Jimbo.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Why would a coach remain anonymous over that statement? That's a normal take by a lot of coaches. I suspect no coach said it. Lindy's is saying what they want to say while tying not to piss off any Miss State readers by saying it was a anonymous coach. It is a game all media plays.

Our new coach will make some rookie mistakes that Leach probably would not. However, he will not just stand there and let the refs run over us like Leach did all the time. It is going to be glorious watching the *** chewings he is going to give.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Being honest, as long as Arnett maintains the hard-nosed culture we've had under Leach we will be just fine. I would feel much more negative about it if the Air Raid had been wildly successful at MSU and THEN we lost Leach. Bottom line, our offense wasn't all that great last year overall so its not going to take anything superhuman to replicate or even improve off what we did offensively last year. I actually expect the offense to be a tick better than last year with a few more explosive plays if we use Tulu, Zavion and Justin Robinson properly. Was shaking my head listening to Bounds and Bartoo ramble on acting like if we go 7-5 this year with Arnett we should be dancing in the streets. I could live with 7-5 but we are certainly capable of more. Its actually 2024 where I think there is a good chance we could dip because we lose a LOT of excellent starting talent after this year.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
My comment shouldn't be read as, "We were good offensively last year, and we'll take a big step back this year." My comment is that offense is a question mark in 2023, and however good our offense ultimately will be, it probably will not be running on all cylinders in the first half of year one. I don't think that's controversial.

My main point is that regardless of a question mark on offense, we should be good enough on defense to at least be in games against everyone not named Alabama/LSU.

Reactions: FQDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I will say this YET AGAIN.......it's much easier to transition from a passing offense to anything, than it is to try and build a passing offense any other offense. And now we have the portal that makes transitions easier. We're going to be fine. Our limiting factor will be our talent, as it is with any team. I simply cannot see this being another 2018.

I'm not saying we are going to make some huge jump, but I'd bet on our offense coming out firing, rather than looking like a jumbled up pile of sh*t like 2018.

That said, we will likely miss Leach. He was an established coach with a good culture, we didn't have to worry about that part. But I personally don't think that rears its head for a few years, and that's assuming Arnett can't maintain it. It took Moorhead a year before he tore down Mullen's culture, and Mullen had already let it start eroding.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Man, I don't know how anyone can be a fan of Mississippi State football for any length of time and still be willing to taunt the Dead Indians by saying we can't be any worse on offense.

I don't honestly know if we will be better or worse or about the same when it comes to our offense. But the idea that we can't be any worse isn't really a logical statement.

Last year, we averaged 31.6 points per game. Just looking at the stats since 2009 (the Mullen/Morehead/Leach years), we scored fewer points per game than that every single year except 2014, 2015 and 2017.

We averaged 392.9 total yards per game. We averaged fewer total yards in 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2020*.

We averaged 311.2 passing yards per game. We averaged fewer than that in every season except 2015 and 2021.

We had 48 offensive touchdowns last year and had 19 turnovers. Those numbers can easily go in the wrong direction.

So, we can absolutely be worse. Not saying we will be but it doesn't make sense to say that we can't possibly be worse... because we have the stats from the last 14 seasons to show we can be.

* because it was the covid season.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
One of the reasons we had so many problems generating yardage is because Leach's offense puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the QB. While Will has the intangibles to shoulder the pressure of being that guy, transitioning to an offense that has multiple run formations will make his job easier and it should generate more of a balance, especially with the guys we have coming back on the line. I guarantee you Will doesn't mind trading some passing stats for a stronger running game.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
One of the reasons we had so many problems generating yardage is because Leach's offense puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the QB. While Will has the intangibles to shoulder the pressure of being that guy, transitioning to an offense that has multiple run formations will make his job easier and it should generate more of a balance, especially with the guys we have coming back on the line. I guarantee you Will doesn't mind trading some passing stats for a stronger running game.
We are going to have a segment of our fans that have been blinded by the Err Raid and as soon as they see Rogers not throwing up 4k yards this season, they are going to call it a failure.

Truth is, if we put up 1500+ yards rushing and Will throws for 3k or more, that is a top 5 MSU offense of all time outside the Leach offenses. And 75 teams put up those numbers in their sleep each year in college football these days.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I loved Coach Leach and wanted him to be wildly successful here and prove his haters wrong. Maybe it would have continued to improve but I honestly think this team will be pretty good. I'm not too worried about the offense. Might even be improved.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
We are going to have a segment of our fans that have been blinded by the Err Raid and as soon as they see Rogers not throwing up 4k yards this season, they are going to call it a failure.

Truth is, if we put up 1500+ yards rushing and Will throws for 3k or more, that is a top 5 MSU offense of all time outside the Leach offenses. And 75 teams put up those numbers in their sleep each year in college football these days.

Looks like we checked in at #59 in yards per game last season. Not terrible but room for improvement. Barbay's offenses typically have a high passing efficiency so I'm curious to see how he's going to perform against SEC defenses. I just think we're primed to finish somewhere in the 40's in total ypg for 2023. Having a four year starter at QB feels strangely optimistic.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I gotta feeling we're gonna be better on O than some think. We were so bi-polar last year and I think adding some semblance of a ground game with some PAP & Draw Plays will mix things up enough to keep those elite D's from teeing off on our Azzes. We seemed so predictable and easy for great D's last year.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I really wish everyone would quit trying to make this out to be more than it is. He was an excellent coach and had just started trying to make his system work. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure many other coaches we have and will face are hoping he was a vital part of our success.

He was a very good man.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I was about to say, pick the dumbest coach in the SEC and attribute this to him. But, feeeeeck…. Too many options.

We are seriously in Retardville right now. There are about 3 decent coaches and the rest are all experimental guys that will all be replaced within the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: patdog

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Maybe I'm wrong about this but I think if we're moving the ball and putting points on the board, I don't think people will care too much about whether those yards and points come from rushing or passing.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
I say this respectfully, but I say it factually:

Brian Kelly let a kid die on his watch.
Jimbo Fisher is an arrogant redneck ******* and terrible coach who happens to have a school with an $18 billion endowment behind him.
Lane Kiffin is a desperate cocky ******* who has done nothing yet gets constantly fellatioed by the most desperate fanbase in the country.
I can't even remember the fatass's name who coaches UPig.
Nick Saban is literally satan in a straw hat.
Hugh Freeze is... good lord, I can't even.

Excuse me while I'm over here not giving AF what any of these lowlife scumbags think we will or won't be without Coach Leach.
Yeah, but what if it was Eli Drinkwitz!?!?

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The Air Raid worked for Rogers and kept him healthy. Not sure how much depth we have at QB. Woody ran hard late and showed some elusiveness. Dude's been hit a lot so far at State. I hope Price is ready but have no idea who is 3rd on the depth chart.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Sure is a lot of "anonymous" coaching opinions out there nowadays. I bet it corresponds directlly w/ the number of so called "freelance journalists" that we have today that will do anything to contrive a story anybody will read and pay them for.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
With all due respect to Mike Leach, our offense has not been good the last 3 years against the top half of the SEC - Woody McCorvey & Sly Croom might be required for it to be a lot worse.

Reactions: eckie1 and patdog

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
My comment shouldn't be read as, "We were good offensively last year, and we'll take a big step back this year." My comment is that offense is a question mark in 2023, and however good our offense ultimately will be, it probably will not be running on all cylinders in the first half of year one. I don't think that's controversial.

My main point is that regardless of a question mark on offense, we should be good enough on defense to at least be in games against everyone not named Alabama/LSU.
I agree completely with your final point. About the offense, my take is that it has to be better than last year. This is why I'm bullish on this season.

Reactions: patdog

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The Air Raid worked for Rogers and kept him healthy. Not sure how much depth we have at QB. Woody ran hard late and showed some elusiveness. Dude's been hit a lot so far at State. I hope Price is ready but have no idea who is 3rd on the depth chart.
Our offense would probably be just as explosive with White in there running sweeps and options with Tulu/Zavion/Marks. Nobody wants anything bad to happen to Rogers, and I hope this is a better system for him, but I don't think it's a death sentence for the offense if he gets injured.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Sure is a lot of "anonymous" coaching opinions out there nowadays. I bet it corresponds directlly w/ the number of so called "freelance journalists" that we have today that will do anything to contrive a story anybody will read and pay them for.
Why would a coach remain anonymous over that statement? That's a normal take by a lot of coaches. I suspect no coach said it. Lindy's is saying what they want to say while tying not to piss off any Miss State readers by saying it was a anonymous coach. It is a game all media plays.

I'm not sure why everyone is so skeptical of these stories all of a sudden. Magazines/websites have been talking to coaches every summer for these kinds of stories for literal decades. I guarantee you some of the anonymous comments about other teams are from coaches on our staff.

It's a veritable staple of the genre.

Last edited:

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Man, I don't know how anyone can be a fan of Mississippi State football for any length of time and still be willing to taunt the Dead Indians by saying we can't be any worse on offense.

I don't honestly know if we will be better or worse or about the same when it comes to our offense. But the idea that we can't be any worse isn't really a logical statement.

Last year, we averaged 31.6 points per game. Just looking at the stats since 2009 (the Mullen/Morehead/Leach years), we scored fewer points per game than that every single year except 2014, 2015 and 2017.

We averaged 392.9 total yards per game. We averaged fewer total yards in 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2020*.

We averaged 311.2 passing yards per game. We averaged fewer than that in every season except 2015 and 2021.

We had 48 offensive touchdowns last year and had 19 turnovers. Those numbers can easily go in the wrong direction.

So, we can absolutely be worse. Not saying we will be but it doesn't make sense to say that we can't possibly be worse... because we have the stats from the last 14 seasons to show we can be.

* because it was the covid season.

Not arguing your point but I wonder if it would be more appropriate to analyze points/yards per # of possessions? I have no idea what that would look like and it might match exactly to what you've laid out.

It just seems that the more RPO or multiple type offenses ran more clock and had fewer possessions to generate points and yardage statistics. I sure don't have the time or resources to check that out though.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Not arguing your point but I wonder if it would be more appropriate to analyze points/yards per # of possessions? I have no idea what that would look like and it might match exactly to what you've laid out.

It just seems that the more RPO or multiple type offenses ran more clock and had fewer possessions to generate points and yardage statistics. I sure don't have the time or resources to check that out though.
Yeah, that's possible I suppose. Different offenses lend themselves to different types of stats and I obviously just looked at what was readily available online.

I'm not expecting us to come out firing on all cylinders in year one, so I'm not going to blow a gasket if our offensive stats go down in any or all areas. I'm just hoping we at least look like we know what we're doing and don't commit a lot of dumb penalties.

Because ultimately, the only stat that matters is wins and losses.

Reactions: HRMSU

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Thanks, Jimbo.
Nah, if it were Jimbo the quote would read: “Isaythisrespectfully, butIsayitfactually: I don'tthinktheywillbeasgoodwithoutMike Leach. Mikedidaphenomenaljob. Ithink thatcoachingchangewillhavethemost drasticeffectofanychangeintheleaguein thelastcoupleofyears…"

Reactions: drummerdawg

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
mr Obvious:
The key for us this year will be how well we Run Block, and how effective our running game is.

We know what Will, Tulu, Walley, Robinson, Zavion, and rufus do vs man to man. If we can make the other team respect the running game, we will be dangerous.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
There’s nothing Barbay ran at CMU or App that Will Rogers can’t do. Chase Brice had 117 yards rushing in 2022 and Danielson at CMU had -38yds rushing in ‘21. Neither one had particularly strong arms. Will Rogers is a better version of what Barbay has been successful with already.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login